Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Why do really random things happen?

Photographer

John Photography

Posts: 13622

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Why do really random things happen?

Was sitting waiting for the bus today, girl walks up to the bus stop and somehow we started talking, then the bus comes but doesn't stop for us and keeps going... We wait for the next bus and just before that comes the girl just gets up and vanishes.... Didn't see her walk off or anything. Was the most odd thing.

She was nice too.

Feb 08 13 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Posts: 1681

Houston, Texas, US

Did you imagine her?

Feb 09 13 12:47 am Link

Photographer

GH-Photography

Posts: 9424

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Mescaline is a hell of a drug..

Feb 09 13 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Tropic Light

Posts: 7374

Kailua, Hawaii, US

The random aspect is only a limited human perception.  In the broader reality, small perturbations in the data stream can and will mushroom up, and overwhelm a perceived reality: aka the Butterfly Effect.  Also, her perception of you may have been substantially different from your perception of her.

Recommended reading:  Chaos: Making a New Science, by James Gleick.   

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/chaos-theory

Feb 09 13 01:35 am Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Posts: 8158

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
Why do really random things happen?

Was sitting waiting for the bus today, girl walks up to the bus stop and somehow we started talking, then the bus comes but doesn't stop for us and keeps going... We wait for the next bus and just before that comes the girl just gets up and vanishes.... Didn't see her walk off or anything. Was the most odd thing.

She was nice too.

Just because you don't know or understand the reasons certain events take place doesn't mean they are randon events...

Feb 09 13 01:41 am Link

Photographer

John Photography

Posts: 13622

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Gianantonio wrote:

Just because you don't know or understand the reasons certain events take place doesn't mean they are randon events...

Well they seem random........

But we spent a good 30 minutes talking. She seemed like a female me.... Pulls tissues out of bag to wipe glasses but also pulls out computer junk... Little quirky stuff I do because I always have stuff in my backpack besides my wallet and keys... She ended up dropping the tissue and using her dress to try and clean her glasses.

Feb 09 13 04:07 am Link

Artist/Painter

Two Pears Studio

Posts: 3474

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Interesting. I wouldn't think twice about it. I only becomes worrysome if it becomes a pattern of behavior.

People want deep meaning in the simple. For me... deep meaning becomes a trap and keeps you occupied so you miss something else. Go deep in the moment and then be open to what's next...

Presence.

Feb 09 13 04:46 am Link

Photographer

John Photography

Posts: 13622

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Two Pears Studio wrote:
Interesting. I wouldn't think twice about it. I only becomes worrysome if it becomes a pattern of behavior.

People want deep meaning in the simple. For me... deep meaning becomes a trap and keeps you occupied so you miss something else. Go deep in the moment and then be open to what's next...

Presence.

Ah........ good advice thank you

Feb 09 13 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Posts: 8158

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:

Well they seem random........

But we spent a good 30 minutes talking. She seemed like a female me.... Pulls tissues out of bag to wipe glasses but also pulls out computer junk... Little quirky stuff I do because I always have stuff in my backpack besides my wallet and keys... She ended up dropping the tissue and using her dress to try and clean her glasses.

They seem rare. Rare doesn't equal random.

Feb 09 13 07:32 pm Link

Model

Gabrielle Heather

Posts: 10064

Middle Island, New York, US

Two Pears Studio wrote:
Interesting. I wouldn't think twice about it. I only becomes worrysome if it becomes a pattern of behavior.

People want deep meaning in the simple. For me... deep meaning becomes a trap and keeps you occupied so you miss something else. Go deep in the moment and then be open to what's next...

Presence.

this can happen to me at times because I am always breaking things down, however, I think it is truly important to be aware. There is a fine line. I find it is hard to go into the moment and stay JUST at the right place and pace.

Feb 09 13 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Thuy Anh

Posts: 5281

Lubbock, Texas, US

Why do things happen? :p

Feb 09 13 08:37 pm Link

Model

Jem Iredale

Posts: 1769

Merrimac, Massachusetts, US

Maybe she hopped in her Tardis and left?

Feb 09 13 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Posts: 47532

Olympia, Washington, US

Fredrica Fisher

Feb 09 13 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Posts: 6426

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

You'd be best to camp out at the bus stop if you really like her...

.

Feb 09 13 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Posts: 13622

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Jem Iredale wrote:
Maybe she hopped in her Tardis and left?

Ah.......That's so goddamn funny

Feb 10 13 03:23 am Link

Photographer

John Photography

Posts: 13622

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Raoul Isidro Images wrote:
You'd be best to camp out at the bus stop if you really like her...

.

uuuum no.

Feb 10 13 03:24 am Link

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

Posts: 17703

Spring Valley, California, US

I'll bet it's because God plays dice.

Feb 10 13 06:28 am Link

Model

modeled

Posts: 9334

San Diego, California, US

lol

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7041440000/h54941A41/

Feb 10 13 06:47 am Link

Photographer

rp_photo

Posts: 42551

Houston, Texas, US

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
Was sitting waiting for the bus today, girl walks up to the bus stop and somehow we started talking, then the bus comes but doesn't stop for us and keeps going... We wait for the next bus and just before that comes the girl just gets up and vanishes.... Didn't see her walk off or anything. Was the most odd thing.

She was nice too.

A Hollies song comes to mind.

Feb 10 13 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Digital Photo PLUS

Posts: 5503

Lorton, Virginia, US

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
Why do really random things happen?

Was sitting waiting for the bus today, girl walks up to the bus stop and somehow we started talking, then the bus comes but doesn't stop for us and keeps going... We wait for the next bus and just before that comes the girl just gets up and vanishes.... Didn't see her walk off or anything. Was the most odd thing.

She was nice too.

Think of all those times when nothing unusual happened when you were waiting for the bus. Things that are more likely to happen happen more frequently than things that are less likely to happen. That doesn't mean they are random. Or that they were meant to happen.

Feb 10 13 07:35 am Link

Photographer

ArtisticPhotography

Posts: 7699

Buffalo, New York, US

Was her name Keyser Soze?

Feb 10 13 08:27 am Link