Forums > Model Colloquy > Ideal Weight.?

Model

Jem Iredale

Merrimac, Massachusetts, US

What would say if the ideal weight for a runway model of about 5'8 and a half?? Not just any sort of modeling, runway modeling.

Feb 09 13 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Washington, District of Columbia, US

It's more about proportions/ measurements/ dress size..
Everyone holds weight differently

I know a model who is 5'8- 110lbs and another 5'8- 125lbs and they wear the same size

Feb 09 13 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Doesn't runway llamaing start at 5'9"?

Feb 09 13 07:27 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Los Angeles, California, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:
Doesn't runway modeling start at 5'9"?

I ideally. But I know girls down to 5'7 who do not high end, but still legitimate runway.

The thing is, the shorter you are, the smaller you have to be. Probably for 5'8 around 105. With proportionally long legs.

Feb 09 13 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Yes it does if you're through an agency..
I didn't even read or notice the runway part
Lol

Feb 09 13 07:30 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Rachel Reilly wrote:
Yes it does if you're through an agency..
I didn't even read or notice the runway part
Lol

That's not always true.

Feb 09 13 07:31 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Not to mention that the OP says 5'8.5

If an agency girls true height is 5'8.5, they round her up to 5'9. So, for all intensive purposes a 5'8.5 girl IS 5'9 in the agency world.

Feb 09 13 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Yves Duchamp- Homme

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Jem Iredale wrote:
What would say if the ideal weight for a runway model of about 5'8 and a half?? Not just any sort of modeling, runway modeling.

Like 100-105 pounds, but weight isn't nearly as important as measurements. (Assuming that this 5'8" girl is an exception being let onto the runway.)

Feb 09 13 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

K I C K H A M wrote:
Not to mention that the OP says 5'8.5

If an agency girls true height is 5'8.5, they round her up to 5'9. So, for all intensive purposes a 5'8.5 girl IS 5'9 in the agency world.

Yeah but 5'8 is pretty rare for catwalk

Feb 09 13 07:40 pm Link

Model

Abby Hawkins

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Measurements are everything.

From what I remember, you better not go any bigger than 32-24-34.  Every region -- hell, every CLIENT -- has different standards, but I remember seeing this measurement a lot.

Height factors in (and honest to God I have no interest in getting into the 5'7" 5'8" or 5'9" debate), but the importance is more on fitting the sample size.  I can't tell you how many llamas with those measurements who barely fit the height requirement getting jobs in runway over me (even though, proportionally, we are identical), but that's how it is. 

Weight is a nasty little indicator.  I remember starting up yoga and although I was shrinking in terms of overall size, the scale was telling me I was *gaining* weight.  Simply because all those soft areas were turning into muscle.  I know some agencies weigh their llamas on top of measuring them, but I think that's just unnecessary.

Feb 09 13 07:41 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Legs are really the biggest deal, assuming you *do* fit the clothes. I know a girl who does every LA fashion week who is shorter than me-- a little over 5'7. Her agency sells her as 5'9.5 (odd number to pick), but her legs are long for her body and probably at the largest part 16-17 inches around and her measurements are she probably has like a 33 inch hip.

So, even though she is short, and you can tell when she stands next to other girls barefoot, she gives the illusion that she is tall, and, of course, she isn't THAT short anyway.

Feb 09 13 07:41 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Rachel Reilly wrote:

Yeah but 5'8 is pretty rare for catwalk

It's not as rare as you think.

Feb 09 13 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Edit: to kickham -Yeah you're a model so you'll
know Better.
I'm just going off the stats of major agencies, the models Are mostcommonly 5'10

Feb 09 13 07:44 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Rachel Reilly wrote:
Yeah you're a model so you'll
know Better.
I'm just going off the stats of major agencies, the models Are mostcommonly 5'10

Yeah, 5'10 is ideal. But, they realllly like you, they'll take pretty short (the 5'7 girl is an exception though-- I think most are still 5'8 being sold as 5'9). Of course, they are also going to lie about it, so no one else is going to know.

Feb 09 13 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

Jem Iredale wrote:

I think another fair question to ask is what is the ideal AGE?   

-The average age of a runway model is 16.5.   
(Dean Johnson started when she was 14.)
-The average age of retirement is 24.   

So....if you are taking an atypical route, then that's good, so don't worry about WEIGHT....that won't make or break your chances.  Don't starve yourself, just BE yourself  wink

Feb 09 13 08:02 pm Link

Model

Cy_n

Saarbrücken, Saarland, Germany

K I C K H A M wrote:

Yeah, 5'10 is ideal. But, they realllly like you, they'll take pretty short (the 5'7 girl is an exception though-- I think most are still 5'8 being sold as 5'9). Of course, they are also going to lie about it, so no one else is going to know.

Good to know .I know that major  agencies in LA  have the luxury power to sell their models  taller than they are .

Feb 10 13 09:29 am Link

Digital Artist

ShuttingDown

Crystal Lake, Illinois, US

Abby Hawkins wrote:
Weight is a nasty little indicator.  I remember starting up yoga and although I was shrinking in terms of overall size, the scale was telling me I was *gaining* weight.  Simply because all those soft areas were turning into muscle.  I know some agencies weigh their models on top of measuring them, but I think that's just unnecessary.

Completely agree; muscle weighs more than fat and can be such a poor indicator.

Feb 10 13 10:29 am Link

Model

Doll Thompson

Hammond, Louisiana, US

It's not pounds/weight that matter, it's measurements and proportions..

Feb 10 13 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

Why do women harp on a number. Weight is a number and all people carry their weight differently. It's more about your body style, shape and proportions.

2 women can easily be 20 # apart and look the same.

Don't get hung up on a number It's going to be different for everyone

Feb 10 13 10:42 am Link

Model

Goodbye4

There is no ideal weight. Depending on the market, somewhere between a size 0-4 (2's seem to work best in the most markets). And measurements at or around 34-24-34.

Feb 10 13 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Nature Coast Lightworks

Tampa, Florida, US

Jem Iredale wrote:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … 9587&page=
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … 9588&page=

How did she/he get back on here again so fast? She/he had two threads locked and the profile was deleted. Jem strikes again

jf

Feb 10 13 05:41 pm Link

Model

V Laroche

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

WTF? Jem is back?! Oh jeez... Jem is gone again. Man it sure is hard to get a bead on that one. She is sure one moving target.

Feb 10 13 05:54 pm Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

Jem Iredale wrote:

There is no ideal weight.
smile

Feb 10 13 06:30 pm Link

Model

Jamie Kristin

Marlborough, Massachusetts, US

Its more about measurements than weight, remember muscle weighs more than fat

Feb 10 13 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Muscle weighing more than fat, actual weight isn't the issue, it's more about measurements.

Feb 10 13 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Nature Coast Lightworks wrote:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … 9587&page=
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … 9588&page=

How did she/he get back on here again so fast? She/he had two threads locked and the profile was deleted. Jem strikes again

jf

She started this thread at 7:09 pm on the 9th.  She started two more threads at 8:45 and was gone one hour latter.

Feb 11 13 11:20 am Link

Model

Luccia

Denver, Colorado, US

George Ruge wrote:
Muscle weighing more than fat, actual weight isn't the issue, it's more about measurements.

+1

Feb 11 13 11:31 am Link

Model

Jane Smithly

Crowley, Texas, US

Shon D.- Homme wrote:

Like 100-105 pounds, but weight isn't nearly as important as measurements. (Assuming that this 5'8" girl is an exception being let onto the runway.)

100lbs-105lbs?!?!? That would put her 17-22lbs underweight. No wonder so many people think all models have eating disorders. I'm sure many of you will disregard this as the ranting of a 'fat' chick though.

Feb 11 13 11:40 am Link

Model

Poses

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Shon D.- Homme wrote:

Autumn Rose Brightly wrote:
100lbs-105lbs?!?!? That would put her 17-22lbs underweight. No wonder so many people think all models have eating disorders. I'm sure many of you will disregard this as the ranting of a 'fat' chick though.

I find the size of many fashion models to be a bit jarring visually, but I understand why it's requested that they be that size, and I do believe that some women are able to be healthy at that weight.

Feb 11 13 12:06 pm Link

Model

Angel ONeill

Venice, Veneto, Italy

No idea but Im about 140 pounds and Im a lean mean fighting machine lol! Ok mabye not so much of the lean ; - )

Feb 11 13 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Doll Thompson wrote:

tenured wisdom... a long thin neck and legs are an asset here, as are editorial facial features i.e. high cheek bones, sharp straight jaw line... for all fashion an A or B cup max works...

as many have remarked, muscle is far more dense than adipose tissue...  thus a scale reading isn't the ultimate determinate here...

Most physicians will tell you that healthy weights are highly dependent on genetics...

This runway talent clocks in at 5'9" 110lbs, yet she ran me ragged on a location shoot in mountainous terrain...

https://www.restonstudio.com/gallery/Fgallery26-9

genetics are truly a major factor... thank mommy and daddy...

Feb 11 13 01:34 pm Link

Model

Miroslava Svoboda

Seattle, Washington, US

As has been said measurements and not weight.

Angel ONeill wrote:
No idea but Im about 140 pounds and Im a lean mean fighting machine lol! Ok mabye not so much of the lean ; - )

Perfect example, say for the sake of the example Angel and I are the same height or about the same height. She looks fit and healthy at her weight and so do I at my weight. Some taller girls can still be healthy at lower weights although 100 is actually pushing it a little too unrealistically far.

Feb 11 13 01:35 pm Link

Model

Angel ONeill

Venice, Veneto, Italy

Miroslava Svoboda wrote:
As has been said measurements and not weight.

Perfect example, say for the sake of the example Angel and I are the same height or about the same height. She looks fit and healthy at her weight and so do I at my weight. Some taller girls can still be healthy at lower weights although 100 is actually pushing it a little too unrealistically far.

Thanks Miroslava kind words

Feb 12 13 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Luc_Smith

Doll Thompson wrote:

This.

Feb 12 13 08:01 am Link