Forums > Model Colloquy > WHY do you want to be "skinny"?

Model

Greeneyed Goddess

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

When I am very slim, I just feel very light, energized and I love my body. I am also super confident and get high just by looking in the mirror. smile

When I gain 5-6lbs, I am slow, I feel heavy, my mood is nasty and I don't feel myself at all.

That is why I love being super slim. I am just on top of my game then!

Feb 13 13 03:41 pm Link

Model

Mary Zdo

San Ramon, California, US

Everyone in my family is naturally skinny (dad is 6'2" and 145 pounds, sister is 5'6" and 90 pounds, mom was the same until she gave birth to two kids), so if I start gaining weight then something must be wrong. At my highest weight of 130 pounds, I never exercised, ate ice cream every single day, and consumed way too many carbs in general, so I'd say that maintenance of my weight is a pretty good indicator of my health.

Feb 14 13 02:08 am Link

Model

Anna Von Leigh

Chico, California, US

I'm in the process of losing some weight I gained due to some medication.

I feel so much healthier now. I'm a vegetarian, eat healthy and organic, exercise almost everyday and I'm taking better care of myself mentally.

I don't want be "skinny", I want to be fit and toned. I think that's more important than just being thin. I feel better overall when I look better, and of course it looks better on film. I just want to look sexy in a bikini again!

Feb 14 13 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

DevilMayCare Photo

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I grew up a fat kid and was picked on and laughed at a lot - and I was introverted and humorless by nature. (Had to work on developing social skills. Still a work in progress, really.) Anyway, for me, I equate being thin with being left alone and having peace and quiet.

Feb 15 13 07:57 am Link

Model

Alexandria Adair

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

I try to maintain skinny because that's what pays around here and I have high standards for myself. Yes, if I were any size I *could* find work, but the fact is that it's easier to find more work when you conform to the norms. It's an ugly truth but I don't see any point in trying to sugar coat it.

I'm actively trying hard to become fit because I enjoy feeling healthy. I've been weight training for months and feel myself becoming stronger/not winded on hikes. I have a family history of cancer and heart related problems I want to prevent. Plus the better I take care of myself now, the longer my career as a model will last in the long run. Just because you are skinny doesn't mean you are healthy

Feb 15 13 08:45 am Link

Model

OceaniaCarmelia

Marshall, Minnesota, US

Kozmina wrote:
Some say I am "skinny" but I just consider myself to be healthy and I so wish other people would aim for the same instead of "skinny".

Glad to see the OP and others seem to feel the same way. borat

For the most part I'am blessed and happy with my body. Love my long arms and legs & my cute booty and people also say "skinny" for me its "healthy living & Genetics" my great-grandparents, grandparents, and parents each one of them had a history of High Metabolism and even my doctor says My High Metabolism is just unbelievably high and she tells me to eat "cheese burgers, fries, chicken, chips, and drink all the soda I want" that's not good advice from a doctor they should encourage healthy eating. Like Food with lots of protein and vitamins; Vegetables esp those leafy greens, Fruits, Yogurt, Meats, Fish etc just wish I'd go from a A cup to a B cup and I am at 107.5 right now and my goal is 115-120 which is the average weight for my age and height for most my life though I was consider a "healthy" skinny not a "danger" to myself skinny. Family & Friends say that will come with stress & having kids.

Feb 17 13 02:20 pm Link

Digital Artist

ShuttingDown

Crystal Lake, Illinois, US

Sorry, wrong thread.

Feb 17 13 02:38 pm Link

Model

Shirley Song

Columbia, South Carolina, US

I am not naturally thin. Neither am I naturally heavy. I'm in a weird in-between area, and I think I have large thighs. My tummy isn't big, but my thighs and butt are huge, lol. Personally, I think individuals are bad judges of their own appearance and weight. Do what makes you happy, but personally I'll always feel like a tub of lard even on my best or lightest days. This is just insecurity, and I recognize it as such. I eat as well as I can. I exercise. So long as I do that then I don't need to worry too much about what number the scale says.

Feb 17 13 02:49 pm Link

Model

E e v a

Nashville, Tennessee, US

It's a health issue for me. I have genetic conditions in my family that would be worsened by being overweight. For example every female in my family has Poly-cystic kidney/liver/ovarian disorder. With improper diet it will worsen that. And it is not symptomatic until it gets bad.

So I stay on the safe side, and keep healthy and skinny, just so I do not have to suffer the problems my mother suffered.

Feb 17 13 02:57 pm Link

Model

J Jessica

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, US

I do not understand this question because I am already skinny and "lanky" as you say.

I love myself as you mention, but I personally find it better to love and care for others others more.

Feb 17 13 05:59 pm Link

guide forum

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

for me personally, it's not about getting thinner. I want to get more toned though, and fitter, and more comfortable with my body smile. I want to not feel my belly wobble when I go out for a run smile. I want to wear a bikini and think I look great in it.
all of that happens partly in the kitchen and in the gym, but also in my own head.

Feb 18 13 03:52 am Link

Model

Tempest McGee

Royersford, Pennsylvania, US

I gained about 25llbs after my breast augmentation and I was very depressed. At 5'0 those pounds were no joke. It took me a long time to lose them but at 102llbs now I am fit, healthy and in better shape than when I was 18 years old partying and doing dumb stuff.

Feb 18 13 04:19 am Link

Model

BlackSilk_GothModel

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

I don't, I just want a smaller waist. I prefer to be curvy. However, I corset train for that. After years of being super thin before I had kids, I didn't like it. I would prefer if there wasn't so much pressure in society to be so skinny but that's life. I will always prefer to have a full butt and breast any day over a boyish figure.

Feb 18 13 04:41 am Link

Model

- Aina -

Redlands, California, US

I've gotten quite a few amazing responses from all ends of the spectrum, and I'm grateful to have heard your opinion.

It's awesome to see the support for each other, honestly. I wasn't expecting such camaraderie amongst the replies. It warmed my heart and made me smile.

By all means, let me be clear: Being "skinny" is NOT EVER IN A MILLION YEARS a depiction of your self worth, health status, or where you "should" be in order to lead a life worth living. As long as you're healthy and happy, the rest of the world can eat their feet.

Personally, I love me some food. (Though, as a random note, I have found that I nibble during my period - I eat very very little.) I love bodies in general. If you love yourself, you can rock anything. Seriously.

Feb 18 13 03:18 pm Link

Model

DollyNudes

Long Beach, Mississippi, US

Because I would like the way I look better. I'd look better in some fashions that I want to wear. I am too short for fashion, so it has nothing to do with that. I am very unhappy with my current weight and measurements, so looking to drop 10 pounds or so, and lose several inches. Mainly off my waist and hips.

Feb 18 13 07:29 pm Link

Model

Abby Hawkins

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I prefer being lean.  The whole idea of creating the most efficient, physically able body possible...the irony is that I actually gain weight as a result, converting fat to muscle.

Back in the day, though, I had an obsession with being skinny to get work.  I hated getting passed over because I couldn't fit the sample sizes.  Now that I'm retirement age, I'm less nutty about that.  Which is good, because I don't have the metabolism that I had when I was 20!

Feb 18 13 07:37 pm Link

Model

The Red Menace

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I'll state at the beginning that I don't have any aspirations to fashion.

I was a size 20, 2 years ago. I'm now a size ten. I have no idea how much I weigh and don't want to know, but it's a world of difference from how I look, to fitness, even my emotional body chemistry has changed.

I changed my lifestyle because my parents both have a number of health problems that are very lined to lifestyle, and I didn't want to be next.

At the moment, I still think that I'm not quite at my optimum weight- I think that the healthiest and fittest for my height and build will be about a aust size 8 (usa size 6). I can still easily grab a handful of bellyfat and I would like to be thin to the point of feeling that I'm exactly where my body is designed to be, which probably for me isn't 'skinny' but I thin that I function best when I'm on the lean side of normal- besides I have a narrow waist and I'm put together in a way that means I don't lose my curves unless I get very unhealthily thin.

Also I sew, and the thinner you are, the less material you have to use, op shop clothes can always be taken in and less food means better quality food.

One other thing- I spent about 10 years being practically invisible when it came to sexual attraction, and now I have guys following me out of the grocery store and up the road before they finish their shopping to ask me out- call me vain, but I really like that as well, and it certainly didn't happen when I was a larger girl.

Having said that, I quote like voluptuous ladies (I like lean ones as well, I have pretty broad tastes) I just don't like it for myself.

Good thread I think- opens up a dialogue that helps stop both big bashing and skinny bitching smile

Love your body- you're in it wink

Feb 20 13 05:37 am Link

Model

Rachel-Elise

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

I look and feel better when I'm at my proper measurements (approx. 34 inches at the hip). I also get taken more seriously as a dancer when I'm thinner (let's face it; neck bones and lack of chest looks GOOD in a leotard, "right, "wrong," or neutral), and I get better shoots when I look my bikini-best. smile

Anyway, it makes me happy. I feel unhealthy, sluggish, and miserable when I put those inches back on.

Feb 20 13 08:01 am Link

Model

The Red Menace

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

DevilMayCare Photo wrote:
I grew up a fat kid and was picked on and laughed at a lot - and I was introverted and humorless by nature. (Had to work on developing social skills. Still a work in progress, really.) Anyway, for me, I equate being thin with being left alone and having peace and quiet.

oh god- this!

Feb 20 13 06:01 pm Link

Model

Azia Rose

Portland, Oregon, US

Because I seriously HATE my body.

I used to weigh 220 lbs through most of high school, which at 5'7" is considered clinically obese. I didn't really realize for the longest time that I was so enormous until I weighed myself and saw that HUGE number. Then I developed anorexia, dropped 110 lbs in about...6 months or so and was hospitalized for anorexia, suicidal behavior, and a cocaine addiction. I recovered, then relapsed, then recovered, then relapsed...

Right now I am in a relapse :\. I have been since October when I weighed 150. I lost 17 lbs in October through my eating disorder, fluctuated a lot and now I weigh 120. All i want to do is get down to 110 again, but it feels impossible. I just want to like the way I look sad

Apr 19 13 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Shadows

Miami, Florida, US

This will probably sound silly to a lot of people, but so I can increase my power to weight ratio on a bike (avid cyclist). Although I would prefer to describe it as being fit, as opposed to 'skinny'.

Apr 19 13 03:01 pm Link

guide forum

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Azia Rose wrote:
Because I seriously HATE my body.

I used to weigh 220 lbs through most of high school, which at 5'7" is considered clinically obese. I didn't really realize for the longest time that I was so enormous until I weighed myself and saw that HUGE number. Then I developed anorexia, dropped 110 lbs in about...6 months or so and was hospitalized for anorexia, suicidal behavior, and a cocaine addiction. I recovered, then relapsed, then recovered, then relapsed...

Right now I am in a relapse :\. I have been since October when I weighed 150. I lost 17 lbs in October through my eating disorder, fluctuated a lot and now I weigh 120. All i want to do is get down to 110 again, but it feels impossible. I just want to like the way I look sad

it makes me so sad that you hate your body sad

I remember a while ago, I would stand in front of a mirror, and literally see myself getting fatter and fatter while I was watching, like someone was inflating me, with horrible rolls of fat just growing and growing (maybe sounds funny, but it was horrifying), and having violent daydreams of taking a butcher's knife and cutting off all the fat. I hated myself. I could vomit just by looking in the mirror. Selfhate is so... I have no words for it. I just really really wish you beat this, and can one day see how beautiful you are. I wish you all the luck and strength in the world!

Apr 19 13 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Bearz Images

Asheville, North Carolina, US

For me personally? ...It's healthy, increases longevity, the sex is better, & you look great.

With that said, all that matters is really you're happy in your own skin & however you manage that it's ok.

Apr 19 13 03:43 pm Link

Model

Natashaa Mariee

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I don't want to be "skinny", I want to be fit. I have always had athletic (muscular) legs and arms and I would never want to lose those aspects of myself. What I struggle with is my stomach, no matter how much I work out it never gets any smaller. I am a very active person and the reason I am so "heavy" (around 180 pounds) is because I have a muscular build, with the acception of my stomach. My goal would be to have a flat stomach but to keep the rest of my body as it is now.

Apr 19 13 03:50 pm Link

Model

Scarlett de la Calle

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

I don't want to get skinnier. I want to get healthier stronger and more flexible (no flexibility) and whatever comes with it is a bonus. I practice split weight training and do yoga. I find the more i exercise the more I contemplate what I am putting in my body. I don't want to look thin as I know that is not me and will never be me I will always have calves thighs a bum and visible back muscles and I just have to work with what I have got!

Apr 21 13 02:05 am Link

Model

Elizabeta Rosandic

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

I'm naturally thin, though not without curves. I'm not really looking to lose weight but to gain muscle and be more fit all around. I'd be a horrible dieter anyway- I loooooove disgusting greasy fried junk food big_smile.

Instead I work out and stretch regularly. I like being able to make cool shapes with my body when I'm modeling, particularly because I'm a nude model. If I were to lose my curves I'm not sure I could do that.

Apr 21 13 03:01 pm Link

Model

Stormee

San Antonio, Texas, US

Apr 21 13 03:11 pm Link

Model

Danielle Reid

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Because I want to not look like I'm pregnant in photos. I'm tired of sucking in and starving myself before shoots so I look thin. I hate diets and can never stick to them. I've been taking fat burning pills and other supplements daily.

Apr 21 13 07:10 pm Link

Model

Aya Lorenz

Rockville, Maryland, US

Definitely looking to drop some more pounds, maybe up to 10.  I'm short and small framed so I just don't feel like I can get away with most kinds of modeling at my current weight. The weight on my thighs and calves is so darn stubborn though!

I've also just felt for a while that a thinner look would fit my personality better if that makes any sense.  Not to mention it would be nice to finally be as skinny as my mother...

Apr 21 13 07:31 pm Link

Model

Cole Morrison

Portland, Oregon, US

I look and feel better this way.

Apr 21 13 08:24 pm Link