Forums > General Industry > Models body starts to shut down,Antarctica shoot

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Star wrote:
I hate the entire shoot so much

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2013_s … ton_5.html

it feels like the worst possible posing, lighting, god she looks like she is just blank in every way. If this was in ANTM we would be voting her off the show

I like some of them, but they really missed an opportunity I think with the location.

Check this horrible post work...in my opinion.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2013_s … on_13.html

Feb 13 13 01:24 pm Link

Model

V Laroche

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

Star wrote:

all that work and it looks photoshopped to death. I literally thought they had placed background behind her

These photos are terribly boring, after all that.

Feb 13 13 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

[reserved]

Feb 13 13 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I'm shooting Kate tonight, I'll ask her about it.

Feb 13 13 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Definitely looks like a composite. Looks like the background was shot on film (either still or a frame from movie film) and the model looks completely digital.
Also putting her on the fur made compositing easier I'm sure.

Not to mention the temperature concerns already noted. It's just not credible.

Feb 13 13 01:27 pm Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

Rachael Bueckert wrote:

Ummm...what?!? -35F is only like -2Celsius....thats BARELY below freezing...no you would not be able to use a banana as a hammer or watch coffee frreze in the air lol. wow. Come to canada sometime where we get -40 CELSIUS...and ive actually thrown a pot of boiling water outside to see it turn into slush before it his the ground... -35f is tshirt weather lol come one!

Yeah we wear tshirts in the dead of winter here, too.  Was only 75 today.  sad

Feb 13 13 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Photo PLUS

Lorton, Virginia, US

Those SI people are fucking stupid. She should sue them.

Feb 13 13 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Randall_Oelerich wrote:
-45 and bikini? I don't think so, and I live up here in northern Minnesota USA where just a few weeks ago we had our typical -35F on the thermometer (-50F wind chill), so I know what that feels like and no fricken way can a model in a bikini be in that more than about 60 seconds, not without (and maybe they did this) several portable high BTU heaters blowing on her. At -35F you can toss a cup of hot coffee in the air and it falls as ice crystals, you can use a bananna as a hammer, car seats are like concrete, I live through that type of cold a couple of weeks a year where i live (because we have an air force airbase here, they even used my city to test the Air Force One helicopter to be sure it could function in extreme cold).

They have a hot tub (assuming it's hot) on the boat and some photos are with her completely soaked.  Soaking wet at -45 degrees...how long would it take for the water in her hair freeze over...even under direct sunlight.  Does the Antarctic even get that cold when the sun is unfiltered and no storms?

Feb 13 13 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Rachael Bueckert wrote:
Wow that is so fake...theres a penguin hanging out in the second picture. Come on. NO wild penguin is gonna just stand there while theres 5 people talking, moving around, with big https://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/scary.pngflashing lights and softboxes and all that. All wildlife would be out of sight. Deffinately photoshopped. And she would be losing consciousness before she lost eyesight and hearing...your body doesnt shut down your senses to keep you warm during hypothermia. All of her limbs would be frozen numb before that happened, and im sure by that time they would be smart enough to start passively warming her...

Are you serious?!  You should do some research on penguins.

Feb 13 13 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Select Models wrote:
HOW FUCKING STUPID!... save thousands of dollars... a death defying trip and some major model suffering and just photoshop in the background.  If a good enough job is done... nobody's gonna know... roll... tongue

my thoughts exactly !!!

Feb 13 13 01:32 pm Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

It's crazy to shoot in such an extreme environment, but I agree.  I mean if you're gonna do it, go baws to the wall and go all out and do it right!  It's Antarctica, for fuck's sake.  The place is EPIC looking.  Shoot something EPIC, regal, strong, inspiring, awesome.  It's ANTARCTICA, not Chicago or some place you could go any time.  That whole team failed, sorry to say.  The model may have lost her eyesight, but the team lost their vision. 

They should've gotten someone like Ira Mayer behind that lens. 

He's the kinda photographer that gives the viewer goosebumps from what he shoots there.

Feb 13 13 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

H5D PHOTOGRAPHER

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

I highly doubt Kate Upton was shooting in -45 conditions... I've been there & done that while working for discovery channel in Alaska in 2006.

LCD screens on cameras stop being functional at around -35f ... FYI

Frostbite occurs in around 5 minutes on bare skin at -45 with just the slightest 5mph wind...
http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreati … windchill/

Simply put, she would have had a lot of frostbite all over her body if their claims of -45 were legit... As such it would have been impossible for her to work afterwards for a significant time period. It's purely a publicity stunt.

As a side note... It seems all you need to do to get on the cover of SI is to be chunky, have massive tits & have Terry Richardson video you dancing around in a tiny bikini, then post it on YouTube. I miss the SI from the 90's to 2005 when they had real Supermodels such as Elle MacPherson, Vendela, Heidi, Petra Nemcova, Rebecca Romijn etc. I'm sorry but Kate Upton isn't in the same league... She just doesn't look good in the swimwear!

Feb 13 13 01:34 pm Link

Model

Rachael Bueckert

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

Big A-Larger Than Life wrote:

Yeah we wear tshirts in the dead of winter here, too.  Was only 75 today.  sad

Hey, I was already corrected on that, I obviously forgot was a plus and minus sign looked like -.-

Feb 13 13 01:36 pm Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

Rachael Bueckert wrote:

Hey, I was already corrected on that, I obviously forgot was a plus and minus sign looked like -.-

A plus is just two minus signs making babies.  And no, I really meant it was 75 today.  I live in Texas.  We cry when it goes below 94.  Thank God for coats, yo.

Feb 13 13 01:38 pm Link

Model

Rachael Bueckert

Christopher Hartman wrote:

Just googled about it...wow, thats crazy never knew they werent afraid of humans. Well im just gonna sit in the corner and be quiet, I seem to be messing up evertthing that comes out of my mouth today....

Feb 13 13 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY

Jacksonville, Florida, US

A plus is just two minus signs making babies.  And no, I really meant it was 75 today.  I live in Texas.  We cry when it goes below 94.  Thank God for coats, yo.

same as we here in Florida, below 80 it's frigging COLD brrrrrr

Feb 13 13 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Port Townsend, Washington, US

utterly idiotic. and the shots on that page look collaged anyway. what's the point?

Model

Rachael Bueckert

LOL. thats an interesting way to put it!
Oh wow i would be dying if i was in 94f weather! Thats kind of temperatures are good for hot yoga but...no thanks! lol crazy what people can adapt to.

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

Penguins are decent people.

Feb 13 13 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Rachael Bueckert wrote:

Just googled about it...wow, thats crazy never knew they werent afraid of humans. Well im just gonna sit in the corner and be quiet, I seem to be messing up evertthing that comes out of my mouth today....

it is pretty amazing at how curious they are about humans.  I guess they are lucky we never bothered to hunt them like everything else.  Otherwise they probably would run/swim away.

Feb 13 13 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Penguins are decent people.

They are always formally dressed. big_smile

Feb 13 13 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

MKPhoto wrote:
Let me assure you. It was not a -45 degree day. On a -45 degree day every breath looks like a cloud and ice builds up on the eyelashes. Exposed skin turns white and blueish in a minute, starting from your hands. Your nose starts running very quickly.  You start shivering in 30 seconds if you don't wear stuff. At -45 degree mechanical stuff start breaking up.  At -45 degrees life slows down, even in the North.

My guesstimate is for   around freezing mark. with sun that gives you fair amount of warmth; wet rocks on the beach, spring looking melt of the snow at the beach etc. and the rest is propaganda.

I cancelled a shoot with well weathered Canadians at -20 C (-10F). What the crew was wearing is irrelevant - that's what you are given as part of Antarctic "cruise" and what you feel like wearing if you just flew from 80,90,100 degree weather.

Pretty much covers my experience in really cold weather.

Publicity.

Feb 13 13 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Sekkides

London, England, United Kingdom

That's so completely fake.. haha

Feb 13 13 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Rachael Bueckert wrote:
Aaaa lol I messed up -35 for +35 -.-
You saw nothing!!

Quick

Edit

Delete
delete.

Feb 13 13 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Beat me to it.

If they were really going to PS for the masses, they should have had Penguins and Polar bears in the background.

Feb 13 13 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Rachael Bueckert wrote:

Hope it's just one of those days for you.

I seem to get one of those years, every so often.

Feb 13 13 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Rachael Bueckert wrote:

LOL. thats an interesting way to put it!
Oh wow i would be dying if i was in 94f weather! Thats kind of temperatures are good for hot yoga but...no thanks! lol crazy what people can adapt to.

Survived +122 in the shade in Phoenix.

Feb 13 13 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

They are always formally dressed. big_smile

Sorry.

Tooooo easy.

Feb 13 13 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Herman Surkis wrote:

Sorry.

Tooooo easy.

I hear that while the women are out working for food, the men stay home and don't cheat on them.

Feb 13 13 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

Star wrote:
all that work and it looks photoshopped to death. I literally thought they had placed background behind her

My thoughts exactly.  Looks like it was shot in studio and placed on a stock background.  Sorry to hear she suffered for this.

Feb 13 13 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Photographe

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

My worst experience was 200 miles inside the Arctic Circle, in -20 degrees with 2 trousers, 4 sweaters and two coats on, taking a glove off to hold a cigarette and fiddle with the camera and within 20 seconds there was intense pain, it felt like my wrist was in a vice, then I looked up and saw two Norwegians, drunk as skunks, walking down the road in Armani suits.

Feb 13 13 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

The worst part is that, between the lighting style and the juxtaposition of the model in a bikini against that backdrop, they very easily could be mistaken for composited images as they are.

On another note, can we PLEASE send Tyra Banks next year?

Feb 13 13 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Star wrote:

OK, it's not just me then. I thought I was getting too jaded to see objectively.

Feb 13 13 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

H3D PHOTOGRAPHER wrote:
I miss the SI from the 90's to 2005 when they had real Supermodels such as Elle MacPherson, Vendela, Heidi, Petra Nemcova, Rebecca Romijn etc. I'm sorry but Kate Upton isn't in the same league... She just doesn't look good in the swimwear!

I will agree with this sentiment but would ask for an allowance for Brooklyn Decker. She is beautiful, shapely and elegant.

And I say this in spite of the fact that she won't return my calls... lol

smile

Feb 13 13 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

JimBobLc

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

They had to crop her feet off due to frostbite

I like the cover shot.  The last one...I'm wondering if they cropped her feet off because she's wearing boots they didn't like.  And I'm wondering if the exposure on her was off because she's got this glow around her legs from the background.  I've seen that when I try to preserve background exposure while correcting foreground elements.

Feb 13 13 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

MKPhoto

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Rollo David Snook wrote:
My worst experience was 200 miles inside the Arctic Circle, in -20 degrees with 2 trousers, 4 sweaters and two coats on, taking a glove off to hold a cigarette and fiddle with the camera and within 20 seconds there was intense pain, it felt like my wrist was in a vice, then I looked up and saw two Norwegians, drunk as skunks, walking down the road in Armani suits.

The most surprising part is a Norwegian in a suit.

Feb 13 13 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Star

it is pretty amazing at how curious they are about humans.  I guess they are lucky we never bothered to hunt them like everything else.  Otherwise they probably would run/swim away.

if only the Dodo wasn't as trusting as a penguin

Feb 13 13 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
On another note, can we PLEASE send Tyra Banks next year?

With or without a coat ???

Feb 13 13 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

Posting this in this thread instead of starting a new one, as it has to do with the SI issue.

Is it me, or do the examples in the article look like badly done composites? Wouldn't it be a riot if it comes out that SI never went to any of these places (esp. Upton's 'journey'?)

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/a … 34203.html

Feb 13 13 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

salvatori. wrote:
Posting this in this thread instead of starting a new one, as it has to do with the SI issue.

Is it me, or do the examples in the article look like badly done composites? Wouldn't it be a riot if it comes out that SI never went to any of these places (esp. Upton's 'journey'?)

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/a … 34203.html

My guess is that they went to all these places (too much of a conspiracy otherwise to keep under wraps). They just decided to fake the cover.

Feb 13 13 04:57 pm Link