Forums > General Industry > Models body starts to shut down,Antarctica shoot

Photographer

MC Photo

New York, New York, US

MKPhoto wrote:
Let me assure you. It was not a -45 degree day. On a -45 degree day every breath looks like a cloud and ice builds up on the eyelashes. Exposed skin turns white and blueish in a minute, starting from your hands. Your nose starts running very quickly.  You start shivering in 30 seconds if you don't wear stuff. At -45 degree mechanical stuff start breaking up.  At -45 degrees life slows down, even in the North.

My guesstimate is for   around freezing mark. with sun that gives you fair amount of warmth; wet rocks on the beach, spring looking melt of the snow at the beach etc. and the rest is propaganda.

I cancelled a shoot with well weathered Canadians at -20 C (-10F). What the crew was wearing is irrelevant - that's what you are given as part of Antarctic "cruise" and what you feel like wearing if you just flew from 80,90,100 degree weather.

Yeah, something is not right.

That's 77 degrees below the freezing temperature of water.

I think the story is a lie or an exaggeration for publicity.

Feb 13 13 05:23 pm Link

Model

Michaelnomore

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

MKPhoto wrote:
Let me assure you. It was not a -45 degree day. On a -45 degree day every breath looks like a cloud and ice builds up on the eyelashes. Exposed skin turns white and blueish in a minute, starting from your hands. Your nose starts running very quickly.  You start shivering in 30 seconds if you don't wear stuff. At -45 degree mechanical stuff start breaking up.  At -45 degrees life slows down, even in the North.

My guesstimate is for   around freezing mark. with sun that gives you fair amount of warmth; wet rocks on the beach, spring looking melt of the snow at the beach etc. and the rest is propaganda.

I cancelled a shoot with well weathered Canadians at -20 C (-10F). What the crew was wearing is irrelevant - that's what you are given as part of Antarctic "cruise" and what you feel like wearing if you just flew from 80,90,100 degree weather.

I concur, there's serious embellishment.  Think next week I'll do some figure study while proving quantum trapping in an aboslute zero environment.

Feb 13 13 06:37 pm Link

Artist/Painter

sdgillis

Portland, Oregon, US

MC Photo wrote:
Yeah, something is not right.

That's 77 degrees below the freezing temperature of water.

I think the story is a lie or an exaggeration for publicity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFj_i6HtebM

They are creating hype for the issue.

Does anyone even read SI anymore?

Feb 13 13 06:55 pm Link

Artist/Painter

sdgillis

Portland, Oregon, US

Feb 13 13 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

You Can Call Me Pierre

Loma Linda, California, US

nyk fury wrote:
utterly idiotic. and the shots on that page look collaged anyway. what's the point?

Can I blame these two for jumping the shark?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QfgduPm … ata_player

Feb 13 13 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

salvatori. wrote:
Posting this in this thread instead of starting a new one, as it has to do with the SI issue.

Is it me, or do the examples in the article look like badly done composites? Wouldn't it be a riot if it comes out that SI never went to any of these places (esp. Upton's 'journey'?)

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/a … 34203.html

If I just saw the mag photos I would think they are fake
But I doubt the would make fake videos and behind the scenes shots
Thats a lot of expensive post work to pull off
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_UfuVowYXk

Feb 13 13 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

MKPhoto

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Feb 13 13 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Kate told me tonight that it was NOT that cold.

Feb 13 13 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Feb 13 13 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Ben Hinman

Westwood, California, US

Well i suppose they could photoshop it, but it'd take a talented retoucher to photoshop in hypothermia! ;D i kid, i kid

Feb 13 13 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Ben Hinman

Westwood, California, US

sdgillis wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFj_i6HtebM

They are creating hype for the issue.

Does anyone even read SI anymore?

No one ever read the swimsuit edition... Who buys those things for the reading? HOT GIRLS! WOO HOO! Thats what it was all about.

Feb 13 13 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Christopher Hartman wrote:

I hear that while the women are out working for food, the men stay home and don't cheat on them.

Yep.
Except they take turns doing the work and the babysitting.

Now the Pygmy Marmosets are something else.

Feb 13 13 11:04 pm Link

Model

ashara

Brewster, New York, US

Star wrote:
and am the only one wondering why they can't get a suit that fits that poor girl?

Could not agree more with this!!

Every single time I see a pic with her in a bikini, I cringe. I understand that everyone has focused on her being a sex symbol. That is her sell and that's what everyone goes with, but I truly do not understand why they have to pick the most ill-fitting bikinis for her. They can show her ample bosom without it always spilling out the sides and bottom. There are PLENTY of suits that are better fitted that will still showcase her assets while providing a more pulled together look.

Feb 14 13 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

MKPhoto wrote:

That's a great point and maybe that's part of the reason it looked so fake to me. I lived in Fairbanks, AK for 4 years and even there it only got down to the -20 or -30 mark maybe twice. One of those days I was walking literally 50 yards with a scarf wrapped around my face. When I got inside my breath had frozen the scarf to my mouth and I literally had to have someone pour lukewarm water on my face to slowly release it.

I looked like the kid with his tongue stuck to the pole in A Christmas Story.

You're right. In the time it took to remove any robe and take the image she would have been discolored and shivering violently. There is no way you can fake comfort even for a second in that kind of temperature.

Feb 14 13 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

-The Dave- wrote:

Miranda told me tonight not to believe anything Kate says. Now I'm confused. Should we let them duke it out? I'm smelling a PPV event.

Feb 14 13 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

ashara wrote:

Could not agree more with this!!

Every single time I see a pic with her in a bikini, I cringe. I understand that everyone has focused on her being a sex symbol. That is her sell and that's what everyone goes with, but I truly do not understand why they have to pick the most ill-fitting bikinis for her. They can show her ample bosom without it always spilling out the sides and bottom. There are PLENTY of suits that are better fitted that will still showcase her assets while providing a more pulled together look.

Because the purpose is not to document correctly fitting swimsuits.

Feb 14 13 03:55 pm Link

Model

ashara

Brewster, New York, US

John Allan wrote:
Because the purpose is not to document correctly fitting swimsuits.

LOL... I know what the purpose is to document. I'm just saying that most of hers are so ill-fitting that sometimes it detracts from the picture. There are PLENTY of llamas with large chests that wear nicely fitting tops and you are still able to see how well they fill it out.

Feb 14 13 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
Miranda told me tonight not to believe anything Kate says. Now I'm confused. Should we let them duke it out? I'm smelling a PPV event.

Having shot and hung out with both, Miranda and Kate, Kate last night, I would believe Kate before Miranda. Just saying...

Feb 14 13 07:11 pm Link

Model

Abby Hawkins

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Select Models wrote:
HOW FUCKING STUPID!... save thousands of dollars... a death defying trip and some major model suffering and just photoshop in the background.  If a good enough job is done... nobody's gonna know... roll... tongue

The kicker is that the "authentic" background LOOKS photoshopped!

Feb 14 13 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Daemon

West Hazleton, Pennsylvania, US

Rachael Bueckert wrote:
Wow that is so fake...theres a penguin hanging out in the second picture. Come on. NO wild penguin is gonna just stand there while theres 5 people talking, moving around, with big https://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/scary.pngflashing lights and softboxes and all that. All wildlife would be out of sight. Deffinately photoshopped. And she would be losing consciousness before she lost eyesight and hearing...your body doesnt shut down your senses to keep you warm during hypothermia. All of her limbs would be frozen numb before that happened, and im sure by that time they would be smart enough to start passively warming her... [/

Not commenting on the rest of it, but your logic about the penguin making it "fake" is way off base. Many Antarctic penguins have so little contact with humans that they have no fear of people and are curious and interact with people, and photographers!

http://wanderingtrader.com/travel-blog/ … ntarctica/

Feb 14 13 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Great concept.
Execution fail.

Feb 15 13 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

phoenixphoto

Gunnedah, New South Wales, Australia

Well, whatever SI did on this shoot it got a whole bunch of models & photographers talking about them...what's that they say about good or bad publicity?

Feb 15 13 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

phoenixphoto

Gunnedah, New South Wales, Australia

....& if you are heading all the way to Antarctica, shoot some nudes while you're there. I know it's not exactly swimwear but how often will you get to go to a location like that? I dont imagine a bikini is the difference between hypothermia and mild discomfort.
And where were the sled dogs and killer whales?

Feb 15 13 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Afterglowimagery

Orlando, Florida, US

-The Dave- wrote:

If you watched the video of the shoot and her interview you wouldn't have even attempted to make up such bullshit.

Mar 02 13 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Extreme Photo

Des Moines, Iowa, US

Raven Photography wrote:
Kate Upton was sent to Antarctica for a bikini shoot for Sports Illustrated and on coming home her body started shutting down due to reportedly -45 degree's temperature. She started losing her eyesight and her hearing.

http://grazia.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx? … ments=true

Can you imagine the cost taking a model to Antarctica plus the scare of this happening to her ?

They had to have photo shopped her goose bumps out surely.

Ohh, but what great goose bumps she has!

Mar 02 13 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

MKPhoto wrote:

Sorry, but this is exaggeration too.  I've lived in Interior Alaska for nearly 30 years, and I work and play outdoors year-round.  I routinely spend 10 minutes outdoors with little or no clothing (usually just boots) when it's -45 or colder on trips to the outhouse.  Granted, it's not comfortable, but the idea that skin turns blue in a minute and you start shivering in 30 seconds and mechanical stuff starts spontaneously breaking is in the same category as Alaskan's living in igloos and wolves raising lost human babies.  If they kept her out there for 45 minutes or an hour then it's believable that she began experiencing hypothermia, but it is perfectly believable that they could have kept her outdoors at -45 for 5 or 10 minutes - long enough for a few shots - with no adverse effects other than discomfort.

Mar 02 13 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

That's a great point and maybe that's part of the reason it looked so fake to me. I lived in Fairbanks, AK for 4 years and even there it only got down to the -20 or -30 mark maybe twice. One of those days I was walking literally 50 yards with a scarf wrapped around my face. When I got inside my breath had frozen the scarf to my mouth and I literally had to have someone pour lukewarm water on my face to slowly release it.

I looked like the kid with his tongue stuck to the pole in A Christmas Story.

You're right. In the time it took to remove any robe and take the image she would have been discolored and shivering violently. There is no way you can fake comfort even for a second in that kind of temperature.

Those must have been the warmest four years on record, and if you really had water poured on your face to release a frozen scarf, it was from panic, not necessity.

Mar 02 13 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

sjx

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Well Eliza has got it down ... after all, she has the experience smile

kudos

Mar 02 13 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

MKPhoto

BTHPhoto wrote:
Sorry, but this is exaggeration too.  I've lived in Interior Alaska for nearly 30 years, and I work and play outdoors year-round.  I routinely spend 10 minutes outdoors with little or no clothing (usually just boots) when it's -45 or colder on trips to the outhouse.  Granted, it's not comfortable, but the idea that skin turns blue in a minute and you start shivering in 30 seconds and mechanical stuff starts spontaneously breaking is in the same category as Alaskan's living in igloos and wolves raising lost human babies.  If they kept her out there for 45 minutes or an hour then it's believable that she began experiencing hypothermia, but it is perfectly believable that they could have kept her outdoors at -45 for 5 or 10 minutes - long enough for a few shots - with no adverse effects other than discomfort.

Winnipeg ain't no Fairbanks...but it is only 10-12F warmer on average here in winter, although your extremes are more extreme wink But it does not get to -45 very often even in Fairbanks even at night.

You know what I mean by -45. I.  There is this "moment" around -35C -40C where the cold changes to "cold" and you start doing things more carefully (among other reasons  not to break things wink. My hands start loosing color in a minute even at -20 sad

Mar 02 13 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

MKPhoto wrote:
Winnipeg ain't no Fairbanks...but it is only 10-12F warmer on average here in winter, although your extremes are more extreme wink But it does not get to -45 very often even in Fairbanks even at night.

You know what I mean by -45. I.  There is this "moment" around -35C -40C where the cold changes to "cold" and you start doing things more carefully (among other reasons  not to break things wink ..and my hands start loosing color in a minute even at -20...

I can only remember one year since 1988 that it didn't drop below -45 for at least a couple weeks.  We had a little over 4 weeks below -40 this winter, and saw about a week of -50 or colder.  And getting out in it for 10 or 15 minutes in a bikini is a routine prank for hundreds of Fairbanks women every year.  It just ain't that big of a deal.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/200_34927595192_786_n.jpg

I've also spent many hours outdoors doing farm work or working in the woods at -50 and -60 albeit appropriately dressed.  I've even used an outhouse at -72, and nothing turned blue or broke off. smile

Mar 02 13 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

MKPhoto

BTHPhoto wrote:
I can only remember one year since 1988 that it didn't drop below -45 for at least a couple weeks.  We had a little over 4 weeks below -40 this winter, and saw about a week of -50 or colder.  And getting out in it for 10 or 15 minutes in a bikini is a routine prank for hundreds of Fairbanks women every year.  It just ain't that big of a deal.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/200_34927595192_786_n.jpg

I've also spent many hours outdoors doing farm work or working in the woods at -50 and -60 albeit appropriately dressed.  I've even used an outhouse at -72, and nothing turned blue or broke off. smile

I feel like a wimp. sad

edit:  I am moving to Fairbanks smile

Where the heck did you find -72! It does not get this cold even in high arctic!

Mar 02 13 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

MKPhoto wrote:
I feel like a wimp. sad

The coldest official temperature ever recorded in North America was -80 at Prospect Creek, Alaska, where I work from time to time in the winter.  The official temperatures in Fairbanks are at the airport, which is an acknowledged heat island, and when it's -50 to -55 there, it's fairly common for good-quality thermometers in the outlying areas to read -65 or colder.  The official temperature at the airport was -35 when I took this photo at my house.  Folks in low-lying areas, including Goldstream Valley where I lived when I had -72 at my outhouse, had readings of -55 that morning.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/71835_10151643657583508_1187322433_n.jpg

Mar 02 13 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

MKPhoto

Thompson MB (coldest place where I've spent time) looks like Riviera. Maybe normal winter night is -20, -30 but we occasionally go below -40 and record low is something like -55. We  don't get these coldest days...but I think you are romanticizing (lack of) impact of cold weather.

Mar 02 13 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Sandlapper Studios

Florence, South Carolina, US

-45? Come on...digital cameras don't function at those extremes, neither do photographers, much less bikini clad models.  Heck, my Nikon won't work except at room temperature.  Wouldn't exposed skin necrotize fairly quickly at those temps?

Mar 03 13 05:38 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Raven Photography wrote:
Kate Upton was sent to Antarctica for a bikini shoot for Sports Illustrated and on coming home her body started shutting down due to reportedly -45 degree's temperature. She started losing her eyesight and her hearing.

http://grazia.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx? … ments=true

Can you imagine the cost taking a model to Antarctica plus the scare of this happening to her ?

They had to have photo shopped her goose bumps out surely.

Hi,
smile
Just do any google or image search for "forty below club" and Fairbanks and you'll see all kinds of this, (granted, its brief.)

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- … 6740_n.jpg

I missed my chance this year because the several times is was colder than minus 45 I miraculously didn't even think to got for the shot. smile will have to try next year!

Mar 03 13 06:41 pm Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

It is summer in  Antarctica and temperatures can be much higher while still having glaciers in the background. Here is a pic I took of glaciers in Patagonia:
https://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/p206x206/217029_160754703986237_5235049_n.jpg

Last summer in the arctic on the North Greenland ice sheet some days it was minus 30 but other days it was steady at 0 degrees or just below and after spending a couple of hours digging a snowpit and sampling in it I was stripped out of my gear and was sweating buckets despite slightly below zero temperatures.

https://media-cache-ec7.pinterest.com/550x/2e/9c/d4/2e9cd411c6ff4ce8af8f2efeac5b558b.jpg

Less than 24 hours later it was much colder and that would not have been possible.

So it would have been possible to shoot in swimsuit at some points - I have done nude in minus 5 on beaches in the UK with strong wind chill. As long as its only for a couple of minutes and you have something warm like fur to climb into it's fine.

So first thing I would question is whether it was -35 when she was actually stripped in the bikini. Next was how long she was shooting.
I used to work for British Antarctic Survey . Here is their page confirming that coastal temperatures in summer can even be in the positive:
http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/about_antar … atures.php

So if it was minus 35 kudos to her and indeed a ticking off to the photoshoot crew....but I would think it not unreasonable to plan a shoot in antarctica at this time of year as even plus temperatures could be reasonably expected.

Mar 04 13 02:34 am Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

MKPhoto wrote:

I feel like a wimp. sad

Sub-arctic inland continental temperatures can be as cold as the arctic and antarctic. Yakutia for example winter temperatures can get down to  −64.4 °C (−83.9 °F)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11875131

Mar 04 13 02:44 am Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Sandlapper Studios wrote:
-45? Come on...digital cameras don't function at those extremes, neither do photographers, much less bikini clad models.  Heck, my Nikon won't work except at room temperature.  Wouldn't exposed skin necrotize fairly quickly at those temps?

There should be no problems with shooting Nikons at -45C.
I was in the Army and I've shot in Norway and Poland where the daytime temperatures were as low as -30C.
My Royal Navy colleagues have worked in the Antarctic with temperatures even lower than that. Wearing gloves is essential - skin sticks to cold metal at very low temperatures and I used pigskin pilot's gloves worn inside fleece outer mittens with removable finger-sections to keep the hands warm.

As long at the batteries are kept warm and the cameras aren't subjected to sudden temperature/humidity changes which would result in condensation forming inside, you'll be fine.

Extreme cold isn't that bad - wind and moisture are the real killers - if you can keep dry and the wind off it's fine even down at -30C...
I found that lower than -10C it just feels 'cold'. I've been colder and more uncomfortable in +1-3C and damp/rainy conditions than ultra-low freezing conditions...

Mar 04 13 02:49 am Link

Photographer

MKPhoto

RKD Photographic wrote:
...I was in the Army and I've shot in Norway and Poland...

Ayayay wink

-30 is a very rare event in Poland, even as night time low.

Mar 04 13 04:13 am Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

MKPhoto wrote:

Ayayay wink

-30 is a very rare event in Poland, even as night time low.

Last year in eastern Germany it got down to -27C, the year before that it was -28C in Dresden.
In the winter of 2006-2007 it was -32C at Bergen-Hohne (Belsen), Niedersachsen, where I was based and -34C at Drawsko Pomoskiye Training Area in western Poland

I live here, remember.

Mar 04 13 04:41 am Link