Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Blazing Meteor Fireball Injures 400 In Russia!

Photographer

Michael Bots

Posts: 5968

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Feb 17 13 09:25 am Link

Photographer

John Sweet

Posts: 190

Denver, Colorado, US

Digital Photo PLUS wrote:
It's not a single event but a wave trailing the moving object.

I understand what a sonic boom is.

A sonic boom does not create a brilliant flash of light that is many times brighter than the sun. This flash is plainly visible in most of the videos and clearly represents an enormous release of energy.

A sonic boom also does not occur at a single point creating outwardly radiating blast damage like the Tunguska event did. I have not seen evidence of outwardly radiating damage from this event yet, but I'm guessing it is there although less evident since it appears this event was not powerful enough to knock down trees.

The thing exploded. While I'm sure there were sonic booms created by the thing moving fast through the atmosphere before that, it seems pretty obvious that most of the energy in the shockwave that knocked out windows and damaged buildings came from the explosion, just like the Tanguska event.

I was just asking what causes it to explode. The link I provided earlier has some plausible explanations.

Here's the story of the Tanguska event, which was also an explosion at low altitude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

Feb 17 13 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Posts: 24639

Tampa, Florida, US

Interesting that there were at least 2 more significant bolides(and a probable 3rd I can't find an article on that happened in Tennesee earlier in the week)

http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress. … francisco/
(disclaimer,the source is not exactly CNN or what not,but our horrific media was trying to downplay the one over Russia till it became viral)

interesting

Feb 17 13 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Posts: 24639

Tampa, Florida, US

41

Feb 17 13 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Posts: 5965

Santa Monica, California, US

Chris, I did skim the link..what are you trying to say?

Feb 17 13 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Posts: 8452

Los Angeles, California, US

John Sweet wrote:
I understand what a sonic boom is.

A sonic boom does not create a brilliant flash of light that is many times brighter than the sun. This flash is plainly visible in most of the videos and clearly represents an enormous release of energy.

A sonic boom also does not occur at a single point creating outwardly radiating blast damage like the Tunguska event did. I have not seen evidence of outwardly radiating damage from this event yet, but I'm guessing it is there although less evident since it appears this event was not powerful enough to knock down trees.

The thing exploded. While I'm sure there were sonic booms created by the thing moving fast through the atmosphere before that, it seems pretty obvious that most of the energy in the shockwave that knocked out windows and damaged buildings came from the explosion, just like the Tanguska event.

I was just asking what causes it to explode. The link I provided earlier has some plausible explanations.

Here's the story of the Tanguska event, which was also an explosion at low altitude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

Planet Earth is Protected by The Atmosphere. IF not...Like the Moon which is pelted by all space debris...tons of craters

When this lil thing was traveling 33,000 plus miles per hour..and enter Earth Atmosphere...IT created...Heat...and that heat...broke apart this lil meteor.

The trail of smoke..was the meteor breaking apart...and BOOM! There you go.

Remember when The Space Shuttle Columbia...it burned up in the Earth's Atmosphere and caused a sonic boom, it was not traveling as fast as the meteor, 17,500 mph.

Feb 17 13 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Posts: 5965

Santa Monica, California, US

ArtisticPhotography wrote:
I'm waiting for the people in SB to claim this is Obama's fault ... or the Pope ... or impacting the 2nd Amendment ... or God ... or lack of God ... or .........

Oh really?
I took the rose colored glasses off and saw this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … rming.html

Feb 17 13 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Posts: 17228

Frontenac, Kansas, US

I wish I had stock in Alcoa...

Feb 17 13 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Posts: 5965

Santa Monica, California, US

Select Models wrote:

So you're saying that the Russian meteorite was 50 feet in diameter BEFORE it entered the Earth's atmosphere, and created an ice whole crator larger than 50 feet in diameter AFTER it exploded and hit the ground?  A metorite blazing thru the atmosphere would lose a SIGNIFICANT amount of it's mass while burning up and before making impact.  That's what makes sence to me... wink

Yahoo:

The Russian meteor explosion over the city of Chelyabinsk, on Friday (Feb. 15), injured more than 1,000 people and blew out windows across the region in a massive blast captured on cameras by frightened witnesses. Friday afternoon, NASA scientists estimated the meteor was space rock about 50 feet (15 meters) and sparked a blast equivalent of a 300-kiloton explosion. The energy estimate was later increased to 470 kilotons.

But late Friday, NASA revised its estimates on the size and power of the devastating meteor explosion. The meteor's size is now thought to be slightly larger — about 55 feet (17 m) wide — with the power of the blast estimate of about 500 kilotons, 30 kilotons higher than before, NASA officials said in a statement. [See video of the intense meteor explosion]

Feb 17 13 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Posts: 12958

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

SAND DIAL wrote:

Oh really?
I took the rose colored glasses off and saw this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … rming.html

That's cuckoo alright.

But it's not the only one. There's newspaper stories now saying it was man made. Unfortunately those papers are coming out of the USA and the UK

Feb 18 13 06:06 am Link

Photographer

Reflected

Posts: 16078

New York, New York, US

SPRINGHEEL  wrote:
Too bad we don't have any actual Russians around here who could answer questions or lend perspective to things

It's a sad day for the forum when first rate material like this goes completely ignored.

Feb 18 13 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Reflected

Posts: 16078

New York, New York, US

Raoul Isidro Images wrote:
Amazing portent.

.

Of what?  TGIF?

Feb 18 13 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

Reflected

Posts: 16078

New York, New York, US

bgcfoto wrote:
Am I the only one that was hoping a creature would emerge from the crash site?

Chris Rifkin wrote:
So you were hoping the blob came out??? yikes

bgcfoto wrote:
no, could be something like a Mantis or Greedo looking thing.  Amazon space women? 

Yes stay the hell away from the windows.

I saw that ep...

Feb 18 13 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Posts: 38195

Gibraltar, Michigan, US

Reflected wrote:

It's a sad day for the forum when first rate material like this goes completely ignored.

If you don't attach a stupid picture to it, people on the Interzone don't see it

Feb 19 13 06:19 am Link