Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > New to MM. What do you think of my profile/port?

Photographer

Grayscale Photo

Columbus, Ohio, US

I'm new here, but not new to photography.  Give me some feedback on my profile and my port.

Bio cheesy?  Port organization and quality? 

Any suggestions?  Nitpicking welcome.

I know I'm offering a niche product, but I welcome your opinions about that as well.

Thanks!

Feb 16 13 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

The Gross Bite

Lansing, Michigan, US

Profile: What models want to know is what you want them to do, and what are your compensation procedures/thoughts.

I'd back off on some of the description of your photographic process stuff and add a line or two on whether you will work trade (TFP, TFCD, etc) or pay models. Your profile  stats just say "Compensation: Any" which leaves the question of what models can expect of you open...

Portfolio: Not bad, but your choice of how (strictly B&W) and what you shoot is going to limit your opportunities with models, IMHO.

Just my opinion.

PS. The self portrait is okay in your portfolio. Don't know that I'd use it as an avatar though. Your avatar is a mini-ad for your portfolio, and should attract visitors (including prospective models). They want to see what you can do... not so much what you look like. Show them something that 'grabs' their attention so they go look at your stuff.

Feb 16 13 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Grayscale Photo

Columbus, Ohio, US

The Effective Image wrote:
Profile: What models want to know is what you want them to do, and what are your compensation procedures/thoughts.

PS. The self portrait is okay in your portfolio. Don't know that I'd use it as an avatar though. Your avatar is a mini-ad for your portfolio, and should attract visitors (including prospective models). They want to see what you can do... not so much what you look like. Show them something that 'grabs' their attention so they go look at your stuff.

Thanks for the look and feedback.

I've clarified that I'm primarily looking for TFP arrangements, but open to other possibilities for specific projects. 

The avatar issue is interesting.  I understand your point, however it always seems odd to me for photographers to be "represented" by a photo of somebody else.  And 99% of male photographers have a photo of a female in their avatar.  There's plenty of room in the portfolio for showing off your best work.  In every other forum on the internet, the avatar is a virtual representation of the author.  Believe me, I know I'm in the tiny minority with this opinion.  I look forward to hearing what everyone else thinks.

Once again, thanks.

PS: You don't think a honkin' 8x10 view camera in my avatar "grabs" their attention?  smile  It's not the camera I shoot with in the studio... Not usually, anyway.

Feb 16 13 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

The Gross Bite

Lansing, Michigan, US

Grayscale Photo wrote:

Thanks for the look and feedback.

I've clarified that I'm primarily looking for TFP arrangements, but open to other possibilities for specific projects. 

The avatar issue is interesting.  I understand your point, however it always seems odd to me for photographers to be "represented" by a photo of somebody else. And 99% of male photographers have a photo of a female in their avatar. There's plenty of room in the portfolio for showing off your best work.  In every other forum on the internet, the avatar is a virtual representation of the author.  Believe me, I know I'm in the tiny minority with this opinion.  I look forward to hearing what everyone else thinks.

Once again, thanks.

I'd change the TFP to TFCD... most models want images they can put on line. Give'em web ready images and they'll likely post them in their portfolios giving you more exposure. Give them prints and they'll likely wind up in a drawer someplace.
But do whatever you want.

As for the bolded comment in your reply... Bet you that most female photographers also use images of other folks as their avatars. But again, it's YOUR profile/portfolio.

Check back in a few months and we'll see how many folks have looked at your stuff (if you get a visitor counter, they're free... and easy to install - usually just a link on your profile page). Check my profile page for one type of visitor counter, there are lots of others. MM's 'View' counters don't really tell you how many folks have visited your portfolio.

Feb 16 13 09:39 pm Link