Forums > General Industry > Photo shoot idea... With a live snake

Model

Sharifa Sparks

Posts: 32

Emeryville, California, US

I woke up with a photo shoot idea and would like to know if anyone in the SF Bay Area knows of anyone that rents or allow their snake to be borrowed for a photo shoot?

Also if you are a photographer that owns a snake I am willing to work with you for the shoot as well.

Thanks in advance smile

Feb 20 13 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Erin Koski

Posts: 6985

Ojai, California, US

I wish we were closer. I've had great success using snakes as second-models in shoots!  Good luck and I hope to see the photos!

-Erin

Feb 20 13 10:37 am Link

Model

Sharifa Sparks

Posts: 32

Emeryville, California, US

Erin Koski wrote:
I wish we were closer. I've had great success using snakes as second-models in shoots!  Good luck and I hope to see the photos!

-Erin

WOW! Bummer sad
I'll save your name & MM# so if/when I pull it off I'll be sure to share. smile

Feb 20 13 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Erin Koski

Posts: 6985

Ojai, California, US

Thanks! Or if you find yourself visiting south California let me know. I have a friend with many good snake animal models we can use smile

-Erin

Feb 20 13 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Blue Ash Film Group

Posts: 9699

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

It would be worth posting a crew call and see if anybody is interested.

Feb 20 13 11:38 am Link

Model

Sharifa Sparks

Posts: 32

Emeryville, California, US

Blue Ash Film Group wrote:
It would be worth posting a crew call and see if anybody is interested.

Thank you! I appreciate the help smile

Feb 20 13 05:03 pm Link

Model

Sharifa Sparks

Posts: 32

Emeryville, California, US

Erin Koski wrote:
Thanks! Or if you find yourself visiting south California let me know. I have a friend with many good snake animal models we can use smile

-Erin

Will do! smile

Feb 20 13 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Posts: 21929

Santa Cruz, California, US

Hi there,

Check out
http://www.modelmayhem.com/370164

Len is the owner of LensVisions studio in Fremont (20 minutes from you) and he has several snakes whom have appeared in lots of shoots with lots of photographers. Len is also a very nice guy and easy to work with.

Feb 20 13 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Shy L

Posts: 584

Burlington, Vermont, US

Yes, Len is awesome.  But he's a lot further than 20 minutes from you.

Feb 20 13 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Posts: 9204

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Do not let snake eat the model.

Feb 20 13 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Stanley L Moore

Posts: 1679

Houston, Texas, US

I wish you luck eith this ides. Many years ago inspired by the famous Svecon Natashia Kinski photo I wanted to do s snsme image. Two male models wantex to be photographed with their pets. It was difficult. Reptiles do not take direction well. I will never work with them again.

Feb 20 13 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Posts: 2902

Glens Falls, New York, US

I'd strongly recommend having a handler nearby.  Unless the owner of the snake is a certified snake handler (I don't know the technical term, but I'm not talking about snake charmers), it could be an insurance nightmare.  Bites are not uncommon, and even though a python won't kill the model, broken wrists and bruises are definitely a possibility.  If you're using strobes, this might be more likely than hot lights, which the snake (or any dangerous animal) can adapt to.

Also, be sure you have ALL your waivers and other paperwork in order.  If there is even the slightest incident, you WILL need them.

Depending on your budget, your best bet might be to only photograph snakes with their owners, since they are already legally liable for anything that animal does.

That said, SF is probably the largest photo community in the US, aside from the New York Metro area, so I'm sure you'll find a lot of leads.  I'd start with the various zoos and animal sanctuaries, and go from there.  They might not be able to help you themselves, but chances are good that they've been asked before, and can point you in the right direction.

Edit:  I just realized you were a model, and not a photographer.  Well, I guess that's all somebody else's problem then.  Even so, be careful, and good luck!

Feb 21 13 06:55 am Link

Photographer

Matt Knowles

Posts: 3568

Ferndale, California, US

Shy L wrote:
Yes, Len is awesome.  But he's a lot further than 20 minutes from you.

Google says 36 minutes. Hardly a problem.

Feb 21 13 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Matt Knowles

Posts: 3568

Ferndale, California, US

Stanley L Moore wrote:
Reptiles do not take direction well.

This. I did a snake shoot with the owner as the model (after the first model freaked out when she saw the snakes, even after she said she would be ok doing a snake shoot, couldn't even get her to touch the snake).

She had two boas, an albino that was about 8' and another that was about 9'. I had concepts for each snake, and what I found is there was no way to pose a snake. They will do what they want to do. I ended up with a few I liked, but they were different from what I had planned.

Many of the shots ended up being too similar to the famous Kimski snake photo and I've never used those.

Feb 21 13 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

Posts: 7315

New York, New York, US

Snakes can't be trained...they do what they want to do. I would suggest a puppy, it's safer!! haha

Feb 21 13 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Posts: 9204

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Marin Photography wrote:
Snakes can't be trained...they do what they want to do. I would suggest a puppy, it's safer!! haha

I know. My snakes act like some models, " no, the other left".

Feb 21 13 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Daniel Chase

Posts: 581

San Francisco, California, US

Try messaging Breanna Baker #2163750 she has a Boa I have shot with before. http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/12 … 7ebdfe.jpg

Feb 21 13 06:37 pm Link

Model

Sharifa Sparks

Posts: 32

Emeryville, California, US

Skydancer Photos wrote:
Hi there,

Check out
http://www.modelmayhem.com/370164

Len is the owner of LensVisions studio in Fremont (20 minutes from you) and he has several snakes whom have appeared in lots of shoots with lots of photographers. Len is also a very nice guy and easy to work with.

FANTASTIC!!! Thank you smile

Feb 21 13 09:23 pm Link

Model

Sharifa Sparks

Posts: 32

Emeryville, California, US

Daniel Chase wrote:
Try messaging Breanna Baker #2163750 she has a Boa I have shot with before. http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/12 … 7ebdfe.jpg

Thank you!!! smile

Feb 21 13 09:24 pm Link

Model

Sharifa Sparks

Posts: 32

Emeryville, California, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
I'd strongly recommend having a handler nearby.  Unless the owner of the snake is a certified snake handler (I don't know the technical term, but I'm not talking about snake charmers), it could be an insurance nightmare.  Bites are not uncommon, and even though a python won't kill the model, broken wrists and bruises are definitely a possibility.  If you're using strobes, this might be more likely than hot lights, which the snake (or any dangerous animal) can adapt to.

Also, be sure you have ALL your waivers and other paperwork in order.  If there is even the slightest incident, you WILL need them.

Depending on your budget, your best bet might be to only photograph snakes with their owners, since they are already legally liable for anything that animal does.

That said, SF is probably the largest photo community in the US, aside from the New York Metro area, so I'm sure you'll find a lot of leads.  I'd start with the various zoos and animal sanctuaries, and go from there.  They might not be able to help you themselves, but chances are good that they've been asked before, and can point you in the right direction.

Edit:  I just realized you were a model, and not a photographer.  Well, I guess that's all somebody else's problem then.  Even so, be careful, and good luck!

Appreciate the feedback though... A lot of things to consider even as a model.
Thank you

Feb 21 13 09:26 pm Link

Model

Sharifa Sparks

Posts: 32

Emeryville, California, US

Marin Photography wrote:
Snakes can't be trained...they do what they want to do. I would suggest a puppy, it's safer!! haha

AHAHA! Puppies are really cute! However I have a concept in mind thats much different than some of the other bay area models that I've come across... But I will keep that in mind smile LOL

Feb 21 13 09:27 pm Link

Model

Sharifa Sparks

Posts: 32

Emeryville, California, US

Stanley L Moore wrote:
I wish you luck eith this ides. Many years ago inspired by the famous Svecon Natashia Kinski photo I wanted to do s snsme image. Two male models wantex to be photographed with their pets. It was difficult. Reptiles do not take direction well. I will never work with them again.

WOW.. & Yikes!!
Thanks for the honest feedback. I will take that into consideration smile

Feb 21 13 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Posts: 11987

Costa Mesa, California, US

I've done lots of shoots with snakes with ZERO incidents. Not always do I get the shot I want. The smaller the snake the more flighty it is. The larger the more sluggish and there fore passable. Just make sure you get one that is used to being handled. Strobes are better than hot lights. Snakes will move away from bright light and strobes with smaller modeling lights are not the problem that hot lights are in that respect. They also stop motion, like flicking tongues. I ALWAYS use handlers unless I ma shoot an owner with their pet.

Feb 21 13 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Mullins

Posts: 1774

Nashua, New Hampshire, US

Snake shoots are great. look at my avatar.  Bella, the Albino Burmese Python, was 20' long at 300 pounds. I have my own 8' Red Tail Boa and have had a couple of 11' Bumese Pythons to use. I have also got 30 Tarantulas at home too.

Malodave

Feb 22 13 03:09 am Link

Photographer

Shy L

Posts: 584

Burlington, Vermont, US

Matt Knowles wrote:
Google says 36 minutes. Hardly a problem.

Google is not always entirely accurate.  It took me ~45 minutes to go from the Centerville district of Fremont (which is where Len's studio is) to Emeryville.  Whether it is a problem depends on the model - how far she is willing to travel, whether she's got a car, etc.  It's close to a bus stop, but no car means BART + bus and some people just don't like the hassle.  Especially in an area where they could find something closer.

Feb 22 13 07:55 am Link

Photographer

Dave Mullins

Posts: 1774

Nashua, New Hampshire, US

Vivid Snake Photos Come at a Cost — A Bite From a Black Mamba

http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2013/02/ma … deid-16378


Nice Pics though.

Malodave

Feb 22 13 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

Posts: 7315

New York, New York, US

Not to be an ass or anything but this snake thing has been done to death really....I would suggest a Tiger! A real one!...

Feb 22 13 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Jewett

Posts: 2499

al-Marsā, Tunis, Tunisia

Marin Photography wrote:
Not to be an ass or anything but this snake thing has been done to death really....I would suggest a Tiger! A real one!...

Please.  It still needs to be done with caution tape.

Feb 22 13 11:21 pm Link