Forums > Model Colloquy > Photographers do you like a skinny models?

Model

Natallia Nia

Warsaw, Mazowieckie, Poland

I’ wanna to hear  your  thoughts about skinny model. Cause in Mass Media appeared so many news about models with normal measurements or models plus-size. It’s very important for me & and my husband, we are both models & skinny. You can see us in my port.

Feb 22 13 05:33 am Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Skinny - yes - I like to see ribs. smile

Sorry to all the 'normal', 'curvy' or plus-size models out there but you just don't do it for me I'm afraid.

Feb 22 13 05:35 am Link

Photographer

KonstantKarma

Campobello, South Carolina, US

As you can see from my portfolio, yes.

Feb 22 13 05:38 am Link

Model

Natallia Nia

RKD Photographic wrote:

Sorry to all the 'normal', 'curvy' or plus-size models out there but you just don't do it for me I'm afraid.

i'm happy to hear it))

Feb 22 13 05:38 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

I shoot models of various sizes although my general preference is for slimmer girls as they tend to be easier to to pose and shoot in a fashion style.

While I agree with the notion that there should be a greater diversity among the model population, I don't go along with the interpretation of this which says that anybody can be a model regardless of height, weight, look etc. Models, even plus sized ones, need to look like models - that's the most important factor of all.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Feb 22 13 05:41 am Link

Photographer

JimBobLc

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

From what I read on "plus" size models they aren't really "plus" size as the general public thinks of plus size, they are only plus size for the model world. I think though that it depends on what product you're selling or what product your customer will sell with the pictures you make for them. I don't really like to see ribs. I would prefer a model with a fuller figure. But for fashion models, it seems that thinner models work better for that industry. So I think thinner models are safe smile

Feb 22 13 05:49 am Link

Photographer

BeautybyGod

Los Angeles, California, US

Feb 22 13 05:53 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

I am neither "into" skinny, nor curvy, nor fat.

I'm "into" healthy models.

Feb 22 13 05:55 am Link

Model

angel emily

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Certainly the biggest concern for models is whether the client likes your look.   

Doesn't matter what the photographer likes, unless he happens to be the client.

And I would say most commercial/fashion clients like a slimmer model; sometimes very thin depending.

Feb 22 13 05:56 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

I cannot say as I can shoot any models for their merits and character first.

A personal preference is skinny, yet that is a personal preference, not one of the models I work with.

Getting out of comfort zones results in a new way of seeing.

If I only shot skinny models as that is what I like I would be denying myself of so many beautiful people.

To sum up: yes I like skinny. Yet I like every model that brings something to my shoots no matter their physique.

Feb 22 13 06:09 am Link

Photographer

gone9999

Sunningdale-Ascot, England, United Kingdom

Skinny doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.  I like fit, well toned physiques for both men and women, especially for my sculpture.

Feb 22 13 06:18 am Link

Photographer

Studio MD - Casting

Los Angeles, California, US

Farenell Photography wrote:

+1
I prefer shooting thin women but a health body, mind and spirit are most important to me.

Feb 22 13 06:26 am Link

Photographer

Wicked LA Pix

Yucaipa, California, US

RKD Photographic wrote:

+1

Feb 22 13 06:27 am Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

skinny - YES

but this is an OLD topic - sorry to say, 5'6" and 250 isn't 'plus' size it's morbidly obese, and morbid obesity is NOT a modeling genre!

Feb 22 13 06:37 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

ehm...

yes, more plus size models are getting out there. But the fashion industry is still like 99% thin models. you have nothing to worry about...

great, gorgeous models are great, gorgeous models. if they're a size 0 or a size 20 smile.

Feb 22 13 06:44 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

John Horwitz wrote:
skinny - YES

but this is an OLD topic - sorry to say, 5'6" and 250 isn't 'plus' size it's morbidly obese, and morbid obesity is NOT a modeling genre!

well it is. BBW modeling smile.

Feb 22 13 06:45 am Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Anna Adrielle wrote:
ehm...

yes, more plus size models are getting out there. But the fashion industry is still like 99% thin models. you have nothing to worry about...

great, gorgeous models are great, gorgeous models. if they're a size 0 or a size 20 smile.

I agree and the skills and experience count too!
Skinny and no skills - pass!

Feb 22 13 06:51 am Link

Photographer

Jackson frontier photos

Joplin, Missouri, US

If by skinny you mean a BMI of underweight, no, I don't.

Feb 22 13 06:56 am Link

Photographer

HASKELL TILSON STUDIOS

Dallas, Texas, US

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:
I shoot models of various sizes although my general preference is for slimmer girls as they tend to be easier to to pose and shoot in a fashion style.

While I agree with the notion that there should be a greater diversity among the model population, I don't go along with the interpretation of this which says that anybody can be a model regardless of height, weight, look etc. Models, even plus sized ones, need to look like models - that's the most important factor of all.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Feb 22 13 06:58 am Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Anna Adrielle wrote:
well it is. BBW modeling smile.

NO - it ISN'T

big is NOT always beautiful

Feb 22 13 07:00 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

How did a thread about skinny models somehow become about obese models?  roll

Anyway, to answer the OP, yes!  I like all sorts of body types for my work, from the skinny end of the spectrum to the fat end.  Bodies are awesome!  smile

Feb 22 13 07:04 am Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

I don't need to see ribs, but yes I prefer slim toned models. I have a guttural aversion to the morbidly obese. Industry "Plus Sized" models are curvy, yes, but most importantly they are toned as opposed to flabby.

Feb 22 13 07:07 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

John Horwitz wrote:
NO - it ISN'T

big is NOT always beautiful

did I say that?

there are many types of llamaing (and llamas) that I don't find personally beautiful. doesn't mean they're not llamas, doesn't mean that what they do isn't llamaing, doesn't mean someone else can't really really like it. "bbw llamaing exists" is not an opinion, I didn't say anything about it being beautiful or ugly, I just stated a fact. there are short, (morbidly) obese llamas out there who are quite succesful. you can find that ugly, that's fine by me, but that doesn't mean it's not true smile

Feb 22 13 07:28 am Link

Photographer

dcsmooth

Detroit, Michigan, US

Generally I don't want to see ribs. Most of the models I work with are average women and a wide range of sizes and shapes.

A special project requiring a thin model would likely be the only time I would choose one. I feel that medium size to bigger models look better in the genre of art nudes. I can't recall any model I have worked with who weighed less than about 130-140 pounds.

Feb 22 13 07:32 am Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

glad to see that some have a good body image - I said it wasn't ALWAYS beautiful

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Beautiful_Woman

and some may be big and beautiful...MANY are not

Feb 22 13 07:32 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

John Horwitz wrote:
glad to see that some have a good body image - I said it wasn't ALWAYS beautiful

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Beautiful_Woman

and some may be big and beautiful...MANY are not

sure. but you can say the same thing about any size smile.
anyway, not to call people ugly. there is beauty in everyone and in every body.

Feb 22 13 07:34 am Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

stop trolling - I never said that word

Feb 22 13 07:37 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

John Horwitz wrote:
stop trolling - I never said that word

I'm not trolling.

I also wasn't implying you said the word "ugly". I was making clear that I didn't want to say that...

relax.

Feb 22 13 07:40 am Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

When someone the size and shape of a grapefruit tries to stuff themselves into a banana skin it looks silly not sexy.

Feb 22 13 07:50 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

John Horwitz wrote:
When someone the size and shape of a grapefruit tries to stuff themselves into a banana skin it looks silly not sexy.

Sure, but what you find sexy (or not) is not necessarily what the rest of the world finds sexy (or not).

you don't find that sexy, you find that silly, that is perfectly okay and your opinion. Other people feel differently, which is why there is definitely a niche out there for "grapefruit stuffing themselves in a banana skin". I have no opinion about that, it just it what it is. You don't like it, then you don't shoot it right wink

Feb 22 13 07:53 am Link

Photographer

JSandersPhotography

Topeka, Kansas, US

Since you asked, I wouldn't say I have a preference for it, but yes I will definitely shoot skinny models, for several reasons.

Feb 22 13 07:56 am Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

OK - you win >.

Feb 22 13 07:58 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

win? it's not a fight...

anyway...
OP, you're beautiful, lots of thin girls are beautiful, lots of girls in other sizes are beautiful too. preferences vary, but generally speaking fashion is still mostly about thin models, so you have absolutely nothing to worry about smile

Feb 22 13 08:00 am Link

Photographer

MCmodeling

Sonora, California, US

slim, but please no ribs showing.

Feb 22 13 08:00 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

MCPHOTO wrote:

I shot a llama just the other day who was a UK size 14 (US 10) with DD breasts, a 30" waist and 42" hips and yet you could still see her ribs when she sucked her tummy in.

It's a sad commentary on the generally obese state of Western society these days that the mere sight of ribs is now "shocking" to so many people sad

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Feb 22 13 08:07 am Link

Photographer

Bobby C

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Farenell Photography wrote:

How do you know they are healthy ? Do  the "healthy" models show you their updated medical records ? And why does society have such a fetish on healthy looks anyway ?

Feb 22 13 08:12 am Link

Model

Natallia Nia

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:

I shot a model just the other day who was a UK size 14 (US 10) with DD breasts, a 30" waist and 42" hips and yet you could still see her ribs when she sucked her tummy in.

It's a sad commentary on the generally obese state of Western society these days that the mere sight of ribs is now "shocking" to so many people sad

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

+1)

Feb 22 13 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Moderator Note!
Please stop trolling and please stop responding to those that are trolling.

Feb 22 13 08:18 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

MCPHOTO wrote:

I have visible ribs and veins showing in my lower abdomen, but a very voluptuous lower body and thick legs.

I don't get it when people say "no ribs showing," because having prominent ribs does not mean a person is particularly skinny. People in daily life often refer to my body-type as "thick;" I have 36-37 inch hips, but my ribs are obvious.

I'm most certainly not skinny. Slim yes, but skinny, no.

Feb 22 13 08:19 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I like people who have an ability to look exceptional, everything from ribs to rolls can work for me depending on the person working it.

Feb 22 13 08:22 am Link