Forums > Model Colloquy > Photographers do you like a skinny models?

Photographer

DCP Glamour

Dunwoody, Georgia, US

For photography, I like anything between slender and a nice hourglass figure. I don't really care for skinny with ribs showing (though if she's arching her back, that's kind of unavoidable for slender girls).

I suppose if I move more toward art nudes, I would look for thinner girls as they seem to fit the genre better.

Feb 22 13 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Lim

Falls Church, Virginia, US

I like skinny, toned models but i have to like all my clients...even if they are on the plus side..smile cuz i love photography...I can not always have what i like.

Feb 22 13 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

MichaelClements

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Actually I'm really digging curves at the mo

Feb 22 13 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Photo PLUS

Lorton, Virginia, US

Natallia Nia wrote:
I’ wanna to hear  your  thoughts about skinny model. Cause in Mass Media appeared so many news about models with normal measurements or models plus-size. It’s very important for me & and my husband, we are both models & skinny. You can see us in my port.

The media do the politically correct thing and promoting average-looking models. I can find average on the sidewalk, I don't want to see it on the catwalk. I love slim models.

I understand that there are eating disorders and self-esteem problems among young women and people think that promoting average will make them feel better. This is the everybody-gets-a-trophy approach. Sorry, but life doesn't work that way. Models, both male and female belong to an exclusive club which you can join only by having the right genes. Same goes for athletes, politicians, scientists and many other groups.

Oboje wyglądacie fantastycznie. wink

Feb 22 13 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Jhono Bashian

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I'm paid to shoot skinny models.
my personal work is with skinny to voluptuous.
my GF has dangerous curves and a Kardashian booty

Feb 22 13 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Bjorn Lumiere

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Its all about aesthetics & preferences, I happen to appreciate 'Skinny' or boyish girls.

Feb 22 13 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

CVP Studios

Reno, Nevada, US

John Horwitz wrote:
skinny - YES

but this is an OLD topic - sorry to say, 5'6" and 250 isn't 'plus' size it's morbidly obese, and morbid obesity is NOT a modeling genre!

LOL, exactly.

Feb 22 13 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Eastfist

Green Bay, Wisconsin, US

Me, personally, I like "healthy" looking models, if I can help it.

Feb 22 13 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Frank McDonough

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Yup, they go great with asparagus.

Feb 22 13 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
Bullshit. People that criticize skinny people aren't criticizing them because they're not healthy, because they have no idea of their health from a visual inspection. And if it really were the case that "health" was the issue, why don't those same people criticize the health of someone who is morbidly obese, but instead use terms like BBW to describe them?

They most assuredly do open their mouths.

Some schmuck doctor recently criticized Gov Christie & had concerns that the health issue could be an issue for him should he run for President in 2016 (as he's expected to do): http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/02/07/gov-chri … t-shut-up/

Director Kevin Smith was kicked off a Southwest Airlines flight for "being to fat" even though no one complained about it: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebri … o-fat.html

Its just more socially acceptable to criticize "fatties" because society perceives them as not being able to control themselves.

Feb 22 13 01:09 pm Link

Model

JadeDRed

London, England, United Kingdom

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
Bullshit. People that criticize skinny people aren't criticizing them because they're not healthy, because they have no idea of their health from a visual inspection. And if it really were the case that "health" was the issue, why don't those same people criticize the health of someone who is morbidly obese, but instead use terms like BBW to describe them?.

Of course you can sometimes tell if someone is unhealthy by visual inspection. There is a point where you can see that someone is too overweight or underweight to possibly be healthy. Then there are grey areas.

Photographers seem to be completely deluded about what is healthy or not, using the term simply to justify photographing the size of model they do. If you want to shoot underweight/overweight models just do it, don't bullshit me with the 'but she's healthy' nonsense.

Feb 22 13 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

toesup

Grand Junction, Colorado, US

"Hell NO"!..

No skinny models here.. I tried that... once..

More curves please!..
(but I guess you can see that from my portfolio)

Feb 22 13 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

JadeDRed wrote:
Photographers seem to be completely deluded about what is healthy or not, using the term simply to justify photographing the size of model they do. If you want to shoot underweight/overweight models just do it, don't bullshit me with the 'but she's healthy' nonsense.

It's very possible to be 'underweight' based on the ridiculous BMI nonsense but perfectly healthy. My partner of 23 years was always 'very underweight' with an average BMI of around 15.5 from the age of 16 to 40, but she never dieted or tried to lose weight - quite the opposite in fact: was always trying to gain weight and ate like a horse at times - and certainly never, ever starved herself. Some people are just naturally skinny.

For a 5'7" 118b model, losing just 5lb takes her down from a supposedly 'healthy' BMI of 18.5 to a supposedly 'unhealthy' BMI of 17.7.

And of course BMI takes no account of muscle/fat ratio either, so a girl can be 118lb of 'healthy' fat but as weak as a sparrow, or 117lb of muscle and considered 'underweight'.

Sure, I've worked with a couple of models who I felt could have done with gaining a few pounds, but none who seemed actually emaciated or unhealthy in person. I wouldn't use the pictures in my portfolio if I was concerned that the model was unhealthy.

It's easy to accentuate ribs and bones with posing and harsh lighting for dramatic effect, but often when the same 'ultra skinny' model is just standing around nude in the studio between takes she can even look a little soft and squishy if she's not very toned from working out a lot.

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Feb 22 13 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

MCPHOTO wrote:
slim, but please no ribs showing.

Woo hoo more ribs for me.

Love skinny llamas. OP, id shoot you in a heartbeat.

Feb 22 13 03:37 pm Link

Model

Jessie Shannon

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

MCPHOTO wrote:

-JAY- wrote:
Woo hoo more ribs for me. Love skinny models. OP, id shoot you in a heartbeat.

You can see my ribs hmm    does that mean I'm skinny?

Feb 22 13 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Jessie Shannon wrote:

MCPHOTO wrote:

No!   lol

Feb 22 13 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Jessie Shannon wrote:

Shocking!! Somebody give this poor starving girl a sandwich!! big_smile

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Feb 22 13 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Adams Photos

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I like all.

So to answer, yes.

Feb 22 13 03:47 pm Link

Model

Jessie Shannon

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

MCPHOTO wrote:

Jessie Shannon wrote:

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
No!   lol

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:
Shocking!! Somebody give this poor starving girl a sandwich!! big_smile
Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Lol!  And Nooooo  No more carbs!!! haha

Feb 22 13 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Atelier Hereau

Stoughton, Massachusetts, US

KonstantKarma wrote:
As you can see from my portfolio, yes.

Your portfolio doesn't support that.  All of your shots except two are of normal fit women.  One seems to be putting on a little weight and the other is flirting with skinny.  Don't get me wrong, I like your portfolio.  It's just that I am a personal trainer.

Feb 22 13 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Atelier Hereau

Stoughton, Massachusetts, US

Jessie Shannon wrote:

MCPHOTO wrote:

Jessie Shannon wrote:

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
No!   lol

Lol!  And Nooooo  No more carbs!!! haha

You are definitely NOT skinny.  I think that when says being able to see the ribs they mean each individual one.  Even then, that doesn't mean skinny.  Skinny to me is insufficient muscle mass.  You are very fit.

Feb 22 13 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Vision Images by Jake

Stockton, California, US

Farenell Photography wrote:
I am neither "into" skinny, nor curvy, nor fat.

I'm "into" healthy models.

Best response so far, I totally agree.  And I also place a strong exclamation point on the word HEALTHY!

Feb 22 13 04:12 pm Link

Model

Jessie Shannon

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Rich Images wrote:

You are definitely NOT skinny.  I think that when says being able to see the ribs they mean each individual one.  Even then, that doesn't mean skinny.  Skinny to me is insufficient muscle mass.  You are very fit.

smile

Feb 22 13 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Jessie Shannon wrote:

MCPHOTO wrote:

You are not skinny but I would photograph you.   smile

Feb 22 13 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Yves Duchamp - Femme

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Natallia Nia wrote:
I’ wanna to hear  your  thoughts about skinny model. Cause in Mass Media appeared so many news about models with normal measurements or models plus-size. It’s very important for me & and my husband, we are both models & skinny. You can see us in my port.

In mass media, I do not see an influx of plus size models or models that look any heavier than they ever did (aside from maybe bigger tits.)

I love skinny models. I love ribs and clavicles and hip bones. I also love plus size models (agency-standards plus size models with waists and hourglass figures.)

Feb 23 13 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Igmar Photography

New York, New York, US

Yes, slim or skinny is the most desirable and marketable for models.

Feb 24 13 09:14 am Link

Makeup Artist

MakeupByVixen

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

London Fog wrote:
Generally speaking yes, for me the ideal stats are...

5ft8 and above
24 inch waist (might allow 25!)
32-34B (maybe 36) Breasts
Size 6-8 (UK) dress size
Not weigh more than 105lbs
Long sexy legs!

I cannot illustrate just how sick to my stomach the mental image of this just inflicted my brain.

Even at 120 pounds at five foot nine that is 20 pounds underweight. 105???? Please be joking.

Oh and for clarification...I used to do sizings with a costume director so I base my numbers on the clothes I used to put on others. Any girl less than 120 with that height looked gaunt, ready to fall over. The clothes nearly knocked them over. I mean zero disrespect by this.

Feb 26 13 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Nico Simon Princely

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I like toned and thin models. I would not say skinny like skin and bones but I do like low body fat and no gut. I like to see some abs if possible.

Feb 26 13 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Makes no difference.. talent is what matters most.

Love the motion in the ocean as much as a twisted wire in a basket.

Feb 26 13 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

R80

Marceline, Missouri, US

Yes, most assuredly.

Mar 01 13 11:11 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Los Angeles, California, US

London Fog wrote:
Generally speaking yes, for me the ideal stats are...

5ft8 and above
24 inch waist (might allow 25!)
32-34B (maybe 36) Breasts
Size 6-8 (UK) dress size
Not weigh more than 105lbs
Long sexy legs!

Those measurements would generally be a bit off for 105 lbs.

Mar 02 13 03:47 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

vbabe wrote:
I don't think women need to starve themselves to look anorexically thin to be a model. As long as you eat healthy and exercise, you probably look great as you are.

why is that people assume that thin people starve themselves to be thin? It's just as ignorant.

i know many people (myself also when i was younger) who have a healthy appetite and not gain any weight, yet others wrongly assume we don't.

Darren
www.facebook.com/darrenbradephotography

Mar 02 13 05:02 am Link

Photographer

name removed3

Boston, Massachusetts, US

beauty comes in all sizes, so does my port,

Mar 02 13 05:11 am Link

Model

Kakarotte

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I echo the idea that it depends on what you're shooting. Someone with my measurements would never in a million years be a high fashion model, not even when I WAS anorexic. However, I get good business doing art nudes, glamour, fetish and pinup. Both curves and no curves work equally well for that shit wink

Mar 02 13 12:57 pm Link

Model

StephBar

Seattle, Washington, US

Farenell Photography wrote:
I am neither "into" skinny, nor curvy, nor fat.

I'm "into" healthy models.

Right on.

And so now, having read some of this. I want to ask, and I may have skipped this:
What about a model who shows some ribs, but has a RUBENESQUE figure? She's still plus sized, like myself, but is thinning out quite nicely/has a natural hourglass figure, but will NEVER be fashion-thin.
Are there photographers into THAT?

I'm pretty sure many photographers wouldn't turn down really skinny AND healthy models. Especially if they meet fashion standards.

Mar 02 13 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I like to shoot agency standard or agency plus size models because it's what my clients want to see.  It's a job and my personal preference means little, photographers are not the ones making those decisions.

Mar 02 13 01:32 pm Link

Model

Alivia Autumn

Seattle, Washington, US

RKD Photographic wrote:
Skinny - yes - I like to see ribs. smile

Sorry to all the 'normal', 'curvy' or plus-size models out there but you just don't do it for me I'm afraid.

Good thing there's a thing called perspective.  Furthermore, why state what you dislike?  Why is that necessary.

Mar 03 13 07:45 am Link

Photographer

Digital Photo PLUS

Lorton, Virginia, US

Yes.

Mar 04 13 09:32 am Link

Model

Lillian Faith

Savannah, Georgia, US

Jackson frontier photos wrote:
If by skinny you mean a BMI of underweight, no, I don't.

The way BMI is calculated can be very inaccurate. My BMI says I'm severely underweight, yet I eat more than my 6'4" football-player-sized boyfriend. I just have a super high metabolism. I've never had an eating disorder, yet I've been accused of it many times.

Mar 04 13 09:38 am Link

Model

Lily Darling

Lansing, Michigan, US

I prefer photographers that shoot us chunkies wink

Mar 04 13 09:43 am Link