Forums > Model Colloquy > How much?

Model

Kanahara23

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

On average, how much money has to be put into modeling?
Even if it's just a hobby.

Feb 22 13 07:00 am Link

Photographer

jesse paulk

Phoenix, Arizona, US

http://blog.mainstreethost.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Dr.-Evil-One-Million-Dollars.png

Feb 22 13 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

New York, New York, US

I guess it depends. If you are a nude model, not much because you don't need clothes. I don't think you need fancy clothes because your port is about your looks and your figure.  If you want to do high fashion, I think that's where you will have to spend the most money on clothes to look the part. Just my guess...

Feb 22 13 08:38 am Link

Model

Melodye Joy

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

double post- silly MM

Feb 22 13 08:39 am Link

Model

Melodye Joy

Depends on what your goal is.

For two-three looks, I give you the following costs;

-Makeup/Hair $75-250
-Wardrobe $500-1,200 (stylist or designer pulls)
-Photographer $250-2,500
-Studio or location permits- $25-100

I have also had photographers charge $10,000 for 6-8 looks, including makeup/hair, permits, studio rental- but I'd also need wardrobe as well as travel expense-so, that one is a big ole $20,000 day!

Now, you said you wanted to do this as a hobby. Choose items in your closet for wardrobe & accessories, ask a friend to come along and do your makeup & hair...or do it yourself.

It all depends on what YOUR goal(s) can be for modeling, as a hobby or profession.

Hope this helps you a bit smile
xo

Feb 22 13 08:39 am Link

Model

Kozmina

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

Nude models spend tons of $$$. All we have to "show" in an image is our body** so it has to be top notch. This means we spend on-

gym
hair
MU
tanning(for some)
main and pedi

To name a few things.

To answer the OP,it depends. Its too hard to give you an accurate answer without any details. If you give us an idea of what you want to do as a model then maybe we can give you a better idea on how much you'll need to invest.

Ballpark for any halfway decent/dedicated model- $200/month maybe more,maybe less

Feb 22 13 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Jackson frontier photos

Joplin, Missouri, US

Melodye Joy wrote:

For two-three looks, I give you the following costs;

-Makeup/Hair $75-250
-Wardrobe $500-1,200 (stylist or designer pulls)
-Photographer $250-2,500
-Studio or location permits- $25-100

I have also had photographers charge $10,000 for 6-8 looks, including makeup/hair, permits, studio rental- but I'd also need wardrobe as well as travel expense-so, that one is a big ole $20,000 day!

Now, you said you wanted to do this as a hobby. Choose items in your closet for wardrobe & accessories, ask a friend to come along and do your makeup & hair...or do it yourself.

It all depends on what YOUR goal(s) can be for modeling, as a hobby or profession.

Hope this helps you a bit smile
xo

Not sure if we live on different planets or not but I can get all that done for about 40 bucks.

Feb 22 13 08:50 am Link

guide forum

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

if I just count paid tests, transportation, special shoes, special products, special undies, special wardrobe, make up (so not the things that I do for modeling, but that I can use in "real life" as well, like a gym membership or a trip to the tanning salon and things like that), I'd say about 750 dollars a year?

Feb 22 13 08:51 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jackson frontier photos wrote:
Not sure if we live on different planets or not but I can get all that done for about 40 bucks.

Yes you clearly live on another planet if you think a shoot can be done for $40.  Even a less expensive rate (for testing agency models) is going to be:

$75 MUA
$75 hair
$75 per look for a stylist
$100 for a studio

Then the photographer's fee unless they really love your look and are testing for free (it happens). So at least $550 or more

Feb 22 13 09:06 am Link

Model

Kanahara23

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

Not so bad. I could do my own make-up but at the moment I dont have all the material I would need. Thanks for letting me know!

Feb 22 13 09:09 am Link

Model

angel emily

Boston, Massachusetts, US

jesse paulk wrote:
http://blog.mainstreethost.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Dr.-Evil-One-Million-Dollars.png

Right??

I mean, really it's however much you want to invest -- and hopefully aligning that with realism and opportunity.

Some girls get signed with snapshots; other girls invest tons of money and never get anywhere.

I'd advise to invest in what's going to sell you, otherwise you'll just have pretty pictures -- nothing wrong with that, but that's not the goal of a real model portfolio.

Feb 22 13 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Jackson frontier photos

Joplin, Missouri, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
Yes you clearly live on another planet if you think a shoot can be done for $40.  Even a less expensive rate (for testing agency models) is going to be:

$75 MUA
$75 hair
$75 per look for a stylist
$100 for a studio

Then the photographer's fee unless they really love your look and are testing for free (it happens). So at least $550 or more

Models I know have been doing their own make-up for years, know how to do their own hair, don't need to get their hair cut for each shoot, and don't need a studio for location work.  Most models have nice outfits already and some have been known to even, gasp, borrow them from friends.  I'm not saying that's preferable, but that its possible and that it certainly isn't necessary to spend 20k as was the suggestion i was responding to, or even your 550, for one shoot.

We are responding to an op of a model starting out, you don't need to spend much at all to get a fair portfolio going, now if your goals are more lofty, you'll likely have to spend the 550 at some point.

Feb 22 13 09:22 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, US

jesse paulk wrote:

Wait... (clears throat...)

http://i.qkme.me/3ooo6t.jpg

Feb 22 13 09:25 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Models I know have been doing their own make-up for years, know how to do their own hair, don't need to get their hair cut for each shoot, and don't need a studio for location work.  Most models have nice outfits already and some have been known to even, gasp, borrow them from friends.  I'm not saying that's preferable, but that its possible and that it certainly isn't necessary to spend 20k as was the suggestion i was responding to, or even your 550, for one shoot.

We are responding to an op of a model starting out, you don't need to spend much at all to get a fair portfolio going, now if your goals are more lofty, you'll likely have to spend the 550 at some point.

My expierence is more with agency models, and they seldom have designer wardrobes starting out and I almost always use professional hair and makeup.  Sure they are a few that a very good at it but I don't count on it.  If a model is going to spend money I need to eliminate as much possible that could go wrong.  Obviously the OP is not an agency model in this cases.

Feb 22 13 09:36 am Link

Model

angel emily

Why waste time??

Model's have a short "shelf life" -- and I watch many models with desire and actual potential waste time TFPing for garbage when they could invest a little and get shots that would actually sell them.  All the better if they do this from the get-go, but that's so rare unless they have direction from an agency or someone who knows...

Feb 22 13 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Jackson frontier photos

Joplin, Missouri, US

And you could pay several hundred to the best photographer in your area and your portfolio would look much better much sooner, you could pay stylists and makeup artists, that would help to.  If you want to make it and be a famous model, do that ASAP.  If your goal is to learn and make art and have fun, none of that is necessary. So, is it about money, career, ego, art, recreation?  Those require different budgets as I see it. It's all about this question... What do you want?

Feb 22 13 09:41 am Link

guide forum

Model

Koryn

The only thing I ever spent money on was commuting, gas and tolls, which tended to be quite expensive. An average 3 hour long shoot cost me at least $50 in gas and tolls, sometimes more.

I did not spend money on professional hairstyling, nails or anything like that. No one ever cared, as long as I was neat and arrived ready to work.

Feb 22 13 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Jackson frontier photos

Joplin, Missouri, US

EMILY  C wrote:

Why waste time??

Model's have a short "shelf life" -- and I watch many models with desire and actual potential waste time TFPing for garbage when they could invest a little and get shots that would actually sell them.  All the better if they do this from the get-go, but that's so rare unless they have direction from an agency or someone who knows...

Because not everyone is motivated by consumerism?

Feb 22 13 09:44 am Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

...and people wonder why they have a hard time selling jobs for real money...

Feb 22 13 09:52 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, US

KevinMcGowanPhotography wrote:

How true.

Feb 22 13 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Jackson frontier photos

Joplin, Missouri, US

KevinMcGowanPhotography wrote:

I respect that many of us are trying to make a living in this field but many are not.  I have a day job, make more than enough to get by. Money can motivate us, so can loving what we are doing, or both.  Responses to the op assumed that she is in this to chance dollars.  Did any of us ask her?

Feb 22 13 10:07 am Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Quite - starting out only really requires bus/train fare or petrol-money if you pick a photographer who has their own studio.
I know models who shoot every weekend and use the fees they garner from shooting nudes to pay for food while they attend college - it doesn't cost them anything - they make money...

Feb 22 13 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Fred Gerhart

San Antonio, Texas, US

RKD Photographic wrote:

Quite - starting out only really requires bus/train fare or petrol-money if you pick a photographer who has their own studio.
I know models who shoot every weekend and use the fees they garner from shooting nudes to pay for food while they attend college - it doesn't cost them anything
- they make money...

Provided the model has a port that is worthy of hire...

OP the real question is As a model, how much money are you willing to invest every month in your hobby?

Feb 22 13 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Jackson frontier photos

Joplin, Missouri, US

Fred Gerhart wrote:
Provided the model has a port that is worthy of hire...

OP the real question is As a model, how much money are you willing to invest every month in your hobby?

She said "has to be."  My 40 dollars was an exaggeration, the real answer is nothing.

Feb 22 13 10:22 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Why don't you start with doing a very basic shoot first.
Making no investment other than to make yourself look groomed and professional.

...stick your big toe in the water before jumping off the deep end.

Feb 22 13 10:44 am Link

Model

Melodye Joy

Yes, we live on different planets because my examples were stated clearly-

She wasn't clear as to how far her hobby was to go was she?

If she later decides she can make this a career then yes, rates are involved from small to large amounts. And I have yet to obtain a stylist or designer for $40 TOTAL. Then again, I am in Los Angeles, so perhaps the cost does vary by area/region.

The least I paid for a shoot, including makeup/hair, wardrobe & set design, was $350.

But, I am also actively pursuing this as a possible career.

Feb 22 13 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Jackson frontier photos

Joplin, Missouri, US

Melodye,

In looking back on my description of what you said, I do think I misrepresented your position to some extent, I'm sorry for doing so.

Feb 22 13 12:50 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Nemi wrote:
Why don't you start with doing a very basic shoot first.
Making no investment other than to make yourself look groomed and professional.

...stick your big toe in the water before jumping off the deep end.

This. You're 23, 5'3", live in the middle of nowhere, and it would appear you've never done a real shoot before. Try modeling on for size for before deciding to throw a while bunch of money into it. smile Do your own MU, borrow clothes from friends or go thrifting, and do your own nails.

Feb 22 13 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Eastfist

Green Bay, Wisconsin, US

If it's just a hobby, I'm assuming you don't want to sustain an income, so it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.  But modeling is a narcissistic pursuit (in a good way), so I'm also going to assume you want people to see your images, which is going to take a lot of promotion on your part if you don't have friends that will spread the word for free.  If you can find really good friends, they will lift you up on their shoulders.

Feb 22 13 01:07 pm Link

Model

Melodye Joy

Melodye,

In looking back on my description of what you said, I do think I misrepresented your position to some extent, I'm sorry for doing so.

No worries, Jackson. Apology accepted. smile

I just wanted to make sure that the OP also understood, in a sense, all aspects of modeling cost.

If it IS simply a hobby she can come out spending nothing to $50 dollars max. If she pushes into "work" mode, then yes she may spend more than she makes.

Modeling is a fickle business, as most art-based hobbies/careers can be. smile

Feb 22 13 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Jhono Bashian

Cleveland, Ohio, US

you better keep testing with as many shooters that will test with you at this stage of the game..  good luck and have fun

Feb 22 13 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Jackson frontier photos

Joplin, Missouri, US

Melodye Joy wrote:

No worries, Jackson. Apology accepted. smile

I just wanted to make sure that the OP also understood, in a sense, all aspects of modeling cost.

If it IS simply a hobby she can come out spending nothing to $50 dollars max. If she pushes into "work" mode, then yes she may spend more than she makes.

Modeling is a fickle business, as most art-based hobbies/careers can be. smile

Together we either presented a balanced view of it all or thoroughly confused her.  :-)

Feb 22 13 01:46 pm Link

Model

Kayz-Modelling

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

Marin Photography wrote:
I guess it depends. If you are a nude model, not much because you don't need clothes. I don't think you need fancy clothes because your port is about your looks and your figure.  If you want to do high fashion, I think that's where you will have to spend the most money on clothes to look the part. Just my guess...

Nude modelling can still require a fair amount of money, you still need money for things like gym memberships, manicures, keeping your hair in check, etc.

Clothed modelling is gonna get slightly expensive, on top of memberships, nail and hair up keep you have to get new clothes, shoes, underwear, etc. Let alone the amount of money you may have to spend on decent make up brands.

Modelling will always cost something, whether the money goes on travel, a new out fit, keeping in shape, printing some of your work and so on. It'll cost a little but it's worth the cash you spend if it's really what you want to do.

Just my two cents.
Kayz

Feb 22 13 02:16 pm Link

Model

Kanahara23

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

All these are really good thoughts. I don't want to spend much, because we have a wedding and bills of course, but just want to find my own thing to do. It just seems like everyone around knows what there good at and where they want to go in life, but I still not sure.

Feb 22 13 02:17 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Kanahara23 wrote:
All these are really good thoughts. I don't want to spend much, because we have a wedding and bills of course, but just want to find my own thing to do. It just seems like everyone around knows what there good at and where they want to go in life, but I still not sure.

I don't know either one an I'm in my 30s, if it makes you feel any better lol

Feb 22 13 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Jackson frontier photos

Joplin, Missouri, US

Kanahara23 wrote:

What a wonderful problem to have!  You get to choose and make it yours.  Maybe try different styles and see which you like.  Look through some of the lists and see what catches/keeps your eye.

Feb 22 13 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Kanahara23 wrote:

You'll find that it's the great adult secret, no one knows what they want to be when they grow up....partly because growing up is not the magical event one envisioned in their youth.

Feb 23 13 06:16 am Link

Photographer

Photographe

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

The truth is... it depends on your student mentality.

If you are the kind of person who seeks advice, takes advice and surrounds yourself with successful professionals, then you will be spending next to nothing on your portfolio.

If you are the kind of person who needs to be told something 100 times by different photographers, agents and make-up artists, perhaps you will be costing yourself more money.

My friend spent £150 on a test shoot and was signed to Storm from those pictures. However she made sure she was spending £150 with someone who could introduce her to the booker.

I know someone else who has spent over £3000 "trying" to be a model, that is mainly because she and her mum and her boyfriend were making all the decisions. The model made a huge mistake and never asked any professional advice before spending lots of money in poor quality make-over studios.

Feb 23 13 07:22 am Link