Forums > Model Colloquy > How far can passion take you?

Model

Courtney L Cameron

Los Angeles, California, US

I have such a passion for modeling and I am trying so hard to put myself out there and start a career... First step is going to open agency casting calls in LA this summer. If you have a strong passion for something do you think you can make it happen? smile

Feb 23 13 04:10 pm Link

Model

Sarah Louise Gater

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

You're absolutely stunning. I'd be very shocked if you didn't make it smile

Feb 23 13 04:12 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Passion is worthless in the absence of goal-directed action.

Feb 23 13 04:13 pm Link

Model

Courtney L Cameron

Sarah Louise Gater wrote:
You're absolutely stunning. I'd be very shocked if you didn't make it smile

you are precious! smile thanks so much!

Feb 23 13 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Eastfist

Green Bay, Wisconsin, US

You are absolutely beautiful. Passion is only half of it, you already have the first.

Feb 23 13 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Its a requirement for getting to the top but not the only thing.  My first observation is you won't find out for sure until you get yourself to a real market and talk to some legit agencies.

Feb 23 13 04:26 pm Link

Model

Courtney L Cameron

Eastfist wrote:
You are absolutely beautiful. Passion is only half of it, you already have the first.

thank you soooo much smile

Feb 23 13 07:43 pm Link

Model

Courtney L Cameron

AJScalzitti wrote:
Its a requirement for getting to the top but not the only thing.  My first observation is you won't find out for sure until you get yourself to a real market and talk to some legit agencies.

Could not agree more! Will never know unless I put myself out there and try!

Feb 23 13 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

how far can passion take you ?  all the way down the yellow brick road to Oz....

but it was realizing that you had the tools to use  -and using them, that got you "home"

let passion motivate you

but be intelligent and disciplined if you want to succeed -

- take super care of your body skin and reputation
- network network network
- always do what you say you are going to do when you say you are going to do it
- avoid drama as much as possible and when you step in it, keep it private
- be pleasant to communicate with and work with
- be appreciative to those who give you a break - no that does not mean sleep
   with them
- give super value to those who book with you
- stay focused
- stay just a bit humble

Feb 23 13 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Lars R Peterson

Seattle, Washington, US

Yes, you are beautiful, and I think you have potential.
You have the correct height and measurements for agency approval...
I would try to get two clean facing-forward headshots, one with makeup, and beautifully lit, and one with no makeup... can be self-shot. Also, one full body-shot in a bikini, from the front and one from the back... and one medium-shot (waist up) showing a bit of a smile, and a hint of personality. (don't overdo it!)
Don't do anything else until you go see the agency...
Agencies will have a specific set of images that THEY want to see, and will instruct you to go get them.

If they offer to do it for you (for $$$) or suggest WHO should do it for you (for $$$) then, move along and go to the next agency.

I don't see any reason (other than being in South Carolina) that could hinder your acceptance. Beyond that, it is all about making friends and colleagues... continuing to enhance and improve your portfolio, getting published and showing tear sheets, and marketing yourself, and taking advantage of what the agency can offer you.

"Marketing yourself" is the part that will decide your future success.

Feb 23 13 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Matt Forma

Denver, Colorado, US

Passion can take you very far. Don't give up. Keep pushing and good things will come.

Feb 26 13 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Kind of a related thought on your post: http://cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bes … l.cnn.html

Mar 01 13 08:06 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

tebow is passionate but they won't let him play quarterback. there's more to it than just having passion. every photographer says they are passionate about photography but only a few actually manage to get anywhere with it.

persistence is good but you need to have the talent/looks to back that up and be a good fit for what people are looking for. and sometimes you need some good luck although some say that luck is where preparation meets opportunity.

Mar 01 13 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Read this several times:

http://www.newmodels.com/

Mar 01 13 08:15 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

You have a great look!  Good luck!

Mar 01 13 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Komelian

Denver, Colorado, US

A goal without a plan is nothing more than a dream.

Dream big, but execute bigger.

Mar 01 13 09:20 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Also, passion without "substance" is also worthless. You certainly have substance.

90% of the bios I read include either "I'm passionate about modeling."

Case in point...the responses would be very different if a 4'11" Troll (not the forum ones, but the ones who live under the bridges) was posing this question.

Mar 01 13 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Courtney  L Cameron wrote:
I have such a passion for modeling and I am trying so hard to put myself out there and start a career... First step is going to open agency casting calls in LA this summer. If you have a strong passion for something do you think you can make it happen? smile

You have more potential than most, and it seems the desire is there too. There is nothing I can say here that already hasn't been said; all sage advice.

Get a good book together, go to REPUTABLE agency, and make that your first step.

Good luck!

Mar 01 13 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Frank Withers Photo

New York, New York, US

Koryn Locke wrote:
Passion is worthless in the absence of goal-directed action.

hard work + skill = success

Mar 01 13 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

Darryl Glover

Orlando, Florida, US

I'm paraphrasing, but "Fortune favors the prepared Mind".  If you want a career in modeling, be "prepared" to moved from Florence, SC.  A large number of successful models are discovered doing mundane things, but few if any are discovered in mundane places.

Mar 01 13 08:13 pm Link