guide forum

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

It used to irritate me when people used the word "marinate" when they meant to say "ruminate." I always pictured a bunch of words, floating around, or soaking in a bowl of barbecue sauce.

Now, I think it bothers me me more when people say "regime," when I suspect they mean "regimen." It's not technically incorrect, but I never heard people saying this until the past year or so. Maybe I didn't notice it used in common speech prior to this, for whatever reason.

"Regimes"  sound like when you're so hardcore about whatever you're into, it's like the Khamer Rouge (sp?), and dictatorship, and stuff in your home. You're looking to put a salt mine in where your hot tub used to be, and go find some plebeians to work it for you. Regimens seem more healthy and constructively goal-directed.

It was nagging me, so I typed it into Google and found this, which made me laugh:
http://grammarist.com/usage/regime-regimen/

Feb 24 13 06:05 am Link

Model

DivaEroticus

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

I fucking love semantics.

"There is one perfect word, everything else is almost a lie."

Feb 24 13 06:12 am Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

régime is the French world for diet

Feb 24 13 06:30 am Link

guide forum

Model

Koryn

scrymettet wrote:
régime is the French world for diet

I read that there are some different implications for the word, depending on what language you grew up speaking, or what dialect of English, if you speak English.

Until recently, I really only heard "regime" used in serious business government contexts, so it sounded strange to me when people used it to describe other things that are unrelated to dictatorships, totalitarianism, and all that good stuff.

Feb 24 13 06:34 am Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

I was tempted to add one of the meaning of régime in French is diet.
and since diet have at least two meanings
there we go again

Feb 24 13 06:38 am Link

guide forum

Model

Koryn

scrymettet wrote:
I was tempted to add one of the meaning of régime in French is diet.
and since diet have at least two meanings
there we go again

lol

Feb 24 13 07:10 am Link

Photographer

California Girls Skate

Los Angeles, California, US

"I just don't want you to do nothing on the sperm of the moment."
- Archie Bunker

Feb 28 13 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

SensualThemes

Swoyersville, Pennsylvania, US

apostrophes and those that misuse them (especially pro sign companies) really piss me off.

Feb 28 13 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Becks

Rochester, New York, US

It drives me fucking INSANE when I see someone write 'defiantly' when they mean 'definitely'. THEY'RE NOT EVEN THE SAME BALLPARK. I see this way, way too often, particularly in bad online fiction.

*twitch*

Also, the incorrect placement of the $ sign makes me want to #RAGEQUIT life. And I don't even Twitter. The dollar sign comes BEFORE the amount, people. Fact.

Mar 01 13 02:13 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Not nearly as bad as listening to a bunch of old men griping about their "prostrate" troubles.

(My dad does it even now - *eyeroll*)

Mar 01 13 08:13 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Becks wrote:
It drives me fucking INSANE when I see someone write 'defiantly' when they mean 'definitely'. THEY'RE NOT EVEN THE SAME BALLPARK. I see this way, way too often, particularly in bad online fiction.

*twitch*

Also, the incorrect placement of the $ sign makes me want to #RAGEQUIT life. And I don't even Twitter. The dollar sign comes BEFORE the amount, people. Fact.

defiantly, SO true$$

Mar 01 13 09:01 am Link

Model

HellBelle

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Becks wrote:

*twitch*

I have a friend on Facebook that consistently does that with "definitely". "Defiantly" and "Definately" are not even close, and one of those isn't even a word! UGH LEARN TO SPELL, PEOPLE! Your spell-check on your browser HAS to pick that shit up, right? that BRIGHT RED squiggle under the word you typed? Means you fucked it up. Double-check and fix it if necessary!

Mar 01 13 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Levittown, Pennsylvania, US

How about IRREGARDLESS?  Ugh!  It's just 'regardless', people!

There's a particular phrase that drives me nuts.  I hear a lot of friends say, when someone has made a complete change, that they've done a 360.  Hello...it's 180.  If you did a 360, you'd be back where you started.

Mar 01 13 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

Spring Valley, California, US

Bek Ruszin wrote:

There's a particular phrase that drives me nuts.  I hear a lot of friends say, when someone has made a complete change, that they've done a 360.  Hello...it's 180.  If you did a 360, you'd be back where you started.

How about when some American mentions "all 52" states in the USA?

That right there is grounds for a skull-crushing.

Mar 01 13 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

California Girls Skate

Los Angeles, California, US

I just read a model profile of a girl who will "bring an llama herder to my shoots, this is for my own piece of mind."

...Piece of mind?

(sigh)

Mar 02 13 12:47 am Link

Photographer

PhotographybyT

Monterey, California, US

Bek Ruszin wrote:

IRREGARDLESS! IRREGARDLESS! IRREGARDLESS!

Yeah, what are you going to do about it?? tongue

Mar 02 13 01:29 am Link

guide forum

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/24096380.jpg

Mar 02 13 04:28 am Link

guide forum

Model

Koryn

Some really nice-looking kid messaged me in OKC last week. His grammar was so atrocious, I just couldn't bring myself to even acknowledge his existence.

I can tolerate a bit of grammar fail, especially if I suspect the person is from another country, and might not have a good grasp of English.

...but that guy...that guy...

Mar 05 13 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Compass Rose Studios

Portland, Oregon, US

It's and its bothers me. 

It's is the contraction.  its is the possessive. 

This next one's more obscure, but occasionally I hear people say 'reticent' when they mean 'hesitant'.  Usually hear it among more educated folk actually. 

'Reticent' isn't a synonym for 'hesitant' tho they're similar.  'Reticent' is a reluctance to speak up or share one's thoughts, not a reluctance to do anything in general.

Mar 05 13 09:06 am Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

Koryn Locke wrote:
..I can tolerate a bit of grammar fail, especially if I suspect the person is from another country, and might not have a good grasp of English...

thank you, I think

Mar 05 13 01:28 pm Link