Forums > Critique > Looking for critique on some recent shots

Photographer

DRaskin Photography

Posts: 164

Sacramento, California, US

Just did a photo shoot recently, where the model was absolutely great to work with. I am looking for some critique on the shots that I have so far. Very interested in hearing what people here think.

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130225/10/512bb2b5c5a65_m.jpg

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130225/10/512bb29be798b_m.jpg

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130225/10/512bb27985a56_m.jpg

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130225/10/512bb1e8d28c1_m.jpg

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130225/10/512bb2506be92_m.jpg

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130225/10/512bb226cd369_m.jpg

Feb 25 13 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Mark

Posts: 2893

New York, New York, US

There's a lot to critique, but getting to my point- it might be a good idea to stop shooting with models that you find attractive and try to make a nice pic with some one who doesnt appeal to you.  Bad wall shadow behind the model, meaningless setting- what is she doing there? why hold the knob on the bannister, model gets lost in the architecture.

Feb 25 13 09:16 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Posts: 3956

Seattle, Washington, US

The stairs/surroundings are very distracting from the model in every image.  With a cleaner background/better composition, and a bit more processing/retouching, some of these may have worked a lot better. Your watermark is also very distracting. 

The model looks very posed and unnatural, and not in a way that makes sense for this environment.

Feb 25 13 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

DRaskin Photography

Posts: 164

Sacramento, California, US

Mark wrote:
There's a lot to critique, but getting to my point- it might be a good idea to stop shooting with models that you find attractive and try to make a nice pic with some one who doesnt appeal to you.  Bad wall shadow behind the model, meaningless setting- what is she doing there? why hold the knob on the bannister, model gets lost in the architecture.

I thank you for your time and critique. You're one of the few to respond and I really do appreciate that. I see your viewpoint on the wall shadow. I can even see your view on the setting and how you see it to be meaningless and competing with the model for attention. I do not agree about only shooting models I find attractive. My goal was to make some nice pics with this model who graciously allocated time for me to shoot with her. My concept was a retro pin up style feel for the shoot, trying to get away from just shooting girls and cars, and I thought the staircase would be an interesting visual location. At worst my concept didn't work out quite as well as I had pictured it. I can definitely take that as criticism and build from it.  Not sure how working with a model who granted me her time for the shoot is "working with models that you find attractive". My goal was to make some nice pics, and I can accept it if it didn't work, and the location was bad, but implying that nice shots wasn't my intent isn't constructive.

Feb 25 13 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

DRaskin Photography

Posts: 164

Sacramento, California, US

MelissaAnn  wrote:
The stairs/surroundings are very distracting from the model in every image.  With a cleaner background/better composition, and a bit more processing/retouching, some of these may have worked a lot better. Your watermark is also very distracting. 

The model looks very posed and unnatural, and not in a way that makes sense for this environment.

Thank you. I think it falls down to the location and the concept I had didn't mesh together as well as I had pictured in my head.

I appreciate the feedback.

Feb 25 13 11:18 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Posts: 3956

Seattle, Washington, US

DRaskin Photography wrote:
I thank you for your time and critique. You're one of the few to respond and I really do appreciate that. I see your viewpoint on the wall shadow. I can even see your view on the setting and how you see it to be meaningless and competing with the model for attention. I do not agree about only shooting models I find attractive. My goal was to make some nice pics with this model who graciously allocated time for me to shoot with her. My concept was a retro pin up style feel for the shoot, trying to get away from just shooting girls and cars, and I thought the staircase would be an interesting visual location. At worst my concept didn't work out quite as well as I had pictured it. I can definitely take that as criticism and build from it.  Not sure how working with a model who granted me her time for the shoot is "working with models that you find attractive". My goal was to make some nice pics, and I can accept it if it didn't work, and the location was bad, but implying that nice shots wasn't my intent isn't constructive.

I don't think he meant you were attracted to her in a bad/perverted way, or that you only chose to work with her because you found her attractive.  I think he's implying that based on these images, you seemed distracted, and not entirely focused on composing them, and directing the model in a way that made sense.  There's nothing wrong with shooting attractive models, but in the beginning, sometimes it's easier to focus on composition/lighting/angles when you're working with a more average looking person.

Maybe next time, if you choose to use a model, you could try keeping the concept simple with a clean background.  That way you can focus on lighting, directing the model, capturing good expressions, etc, and not have to worry about all the cluttered background stuff.

You chose a challenging location for this shoot, but kudos to you for trying.  I'm sure you learned something, and your next shoot will be better for it.

Feb 25 13 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

DRaskin Photography

Posts: 164

Sacramento, California, US

Definitely see that it was a challenging location in hindsight. Definitely a learning experience to say the least. Really appreciate your time.

Took a quick run through photoshop and is this any better?
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130226/00/512c741088c72_m.jpg

Feb 26 13 12:40 am Link

Photographer

Chris Fore Photography

Posts: 5

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

No.  Not better.  It's best to leave a shadow in the photo unless you possess the skills to be able to remove it believably.  Otherwise it just looks like a poor photoshop job and that draws way more attention than the llama. 

Miranda Kerr could be standing there and I'd be staring at the odd half removed shadow behind her.  It doesn't mesh within the brain.

Either outsource your editing to someone who focuses and prides themself on that skill or get better at Photoshop.  Delve in for about 4 months and then release new photos.

Feb 26 13 12:57 am Link

Photographer

DRaskin Photography

Posts: 164

Sacramento, California, US

Sorry, obviously my quick photoshop editing was just to see if the general consensus was that it was better without the shadow. Yeah, I know my quick edit on it is far from "finished" quality. I also know I didn't convey that well.
If people think it's better without the shadow, and salvagable, then I'll farm it out to a retoucher, who has much better photoshop skills than myself.

If not, then I'll just dump it along with the others.

Feb 26 13 01:14 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Posts: 8820

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I think I like the third image composition
[Girl on spiral]
Agree the shadows are a distraction on wall
In this one would suggest moving camera and or model to loose the column behind her so it is the solid wall


The last one on steps
Next time extend her legs, have knees lower then hips

With some fine tuning this could be a great location and model

Feb 26 13 05:31 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Posts: 18211

Orlando, Florida, US

On camera flash  looks awful.

Feb 26 13 05:32 am Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Posts: 5083

Catskill, New York, US

They look like snapshots, probably due to the use of on camera flash / lack of light control

Setting / background are not appealing and the stairs don't serve the purpose you had hoped.

Feb 26 13 05:43 am Link

Photographer

DRaskin Photography

Posts: 164

Sacramento, California, US

Lee_Photography wrote:
I think I like the third image composition
[Girl on spiral]
Agree the shadows are a distraction on wall
In this one would suggest moving camera and or model to loose the column behind her so it is the solid wall


The last one on steps
Next time extend her legs, have knees lower then hips

With some fine tuning this could be a great location and model

I appreciate the constructive criticism. Instead of just telling me they look awful, I appreciate that you suggested ways that I could improve.
I know my lighting needs work and that's one of my main goals for the year is to work on better lighting.

Also a quick thank you to everyone else for their input so far.

Feb 26 13 09:03 am Link