Forums > Critique > Nude Avatar Critique

Photographer

Novocane

Astoria, New York, US

I think my current avatar is both one of my better shots and one of my best PS retouch projects. I'd love to hear and comments or criticism you guys might have on it

Feb 25 13 11:47 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

Looking at the rest of your images, I would have to agree with you- I definitely think it's one of your best.  I'm not a huge fan of the crop, but overall I really like it.  Great work, you should be proud of this!  smile

Feb 25 13 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

The Effective Image

Lansing, Michigan, US

Great shot or not, it has two strikes against it in regard to being an avatar.

1. It's landscape orientation. It shows up significantly smaller than a portrait orientation image in the MM scheme of things (avatar, search engine image, etc.). It also has a fair amount of unused space (negative space) that just shows up as a black blob in thumbnails.

2. It's B&W. Color attracts attention. Ya got none,

So it may be your best image, but the best choice as an avatar... Nope.
Your avatar is a mini-ad for your portfolio... you want it to attract visitors (especially potential models) to your profile page and portfolio. In thumbnail size, the 'quality' of the image doesn't show up much... but the image should have some 'grab' to attract visitors. IMHO, this image doesn't.

Just my opinion.

Feb 26 13 12:16 am Link

Photographer

Novocane

Astoria, New York, US

MelissaAnn  wrote:
Looking at the rest of your images, I would have to agree with you- I definitely think it's one of your best.  I'm not a huge fan of the crop, but overall I really like it.  Great work, you should be proud of this! 
Just my opinion.

Thanks for the encouragement I really appreciate it.

The Effective Image wrote:
Great shot or not, it has two strikes against it in regard to being an avatar.

1. It's landscape orientation. It shows up significantly smaller than a portrait orientation image in the MM scheme of things (avatar, search engine image, etc.). It also has a fair amount of unused space (negative space) that just shows up as a black blob in thumbnails.

2. It's B&W. Color attracts attention. Ya got none,

So it may be your best image, but the best choice as an avatar... Nope.
Your avatar is a mini-ad for your portfolio... you want it to attract visitors (especially potential models) to your profile page and portfolio. In thumbnail size, the 'quality' of the image doesn't show up much... but the image should have some 'grab' to attract visitors. IMHO, this image doesn't.

Just my opinion.

A lot of things to consider here.

1. Everything you said here is pretty much spot on and are factors I didn't consider but will definitely look at now.

2. It's simple my avatar because it's a shot I recently finished and I'm very happy with.

I'm actually getting ready to trim and streamline my portfolio so i'm going to keep those factors in mind. Thanks again

Feb 26 13 12:36 am Link