Forums > Photography Talk > Looking for a new camera.

Model

Carolina Goddess

Augusta, Georgia, US

I have a Nikon 3100. I want something better. I prefer a Nikon. Gonna have a photography page on here before long and I want to do it justice. Any suggestions on which Camera would be best. I don't have a Huge budget.
Thanks!

Feb 26 13 09:37 am Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

You want something better - define better.  If you can describe what it is that your current camera cannot do for you then others can help to point to other cameras.  Otherwise we're really just guessing at what it is you want.

Feb 26 13 09:42 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

David Kirk wrote:
You want something better - define better.

It's always the checkbook, that will dictate what you'll end up with in the end.

Feb 26 13 09:44 am Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

PhillipM wrote:

It's always the checkbook, that will dictate what you'll end up with in the end.

If you have specific needs that can't be satisfied in your current budget then do you wait until you have more money (or newer cheaper technology comes along) or do you just buy what you can afford right now regardless?

I think the wallet is the last consideration when upgrading equipment.  First is defining the need, second is the opportunity enabled by equipment which addresses that need and lastly you need to consider how to affort it.

Feb 26 13 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Ivan Galaviz - Photo

Juárez, Chihuahua, Mexico

Buy the most expensive camera you can afford... that's it

Feb 26 13 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Delphic Photography

Long Beach, New York, US

Post hidden on Feb 26, 2013 01:34 pm
Reason: gobbledegook

Feb 26 13 09:54 am Link

Model

Carolina Goddess

Augusta, Georgia, US

Higher quality images. Something more professional. I enjoy my 3100 but consider it a For fun camera. I want to expand and offer professional services. Show up to shoot a wedding with a 3100 and there are quests there with more professional cameras. I was looking at a D7000. But I am wondering if a D3X might be a better investment. I have read some negative reviews about the 3X though.

Feb 26 13 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Nikon makes many very nice cameras, but you really want to look at a good lens/camera combo. The D800, for instance, is awesome but really requires you buy great (and expensive) lenses to go with it. The D3X is similar in that regard. The D7000, and the D700, are both pretty forgiving on glass. The DX D7000 would let you play with a lot of different, cheap glass.

I actually got a full D7000 kit recently for a specific job at work and Ive been very impressed with it. Got the grip and 35 f1.4 dx lens. Body only was about $700.

Feb 26 13 10:20 am Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

You would be best to specify what your total budget is for lenses and a body.  You say you don't have a huge budget, but some would say that $7000 is a huge budget for a body (D3X price). 

If weddings are primarily what you're going to be shooting then I don't think the D3X is the best choice.  For that amount of money you would probably be better off with the D4 given it's superior low-light capabilities and higher frame rate. 

I don't shoot events and weddings so perhaps someone who does can be of more specific help.

A high-end body will definitely help to get "higher quality images" given the same circumstances, but getting "more professional images" is more about your photography skill and experience than the specific equipment you use.

Feb 26 13 10:45 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Ivan Galaviz - Photo wrote:
Buy the most expensive camera you can afford... that's it

Yep

Feb 26 13 11:17 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

sometimes buying quality glass (not to mention training) is more important than upgrading your body.

if you want to shoot church weddings get a D600.

Feb 26 13 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Edward Shaw Photography

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Over and above what guests with more expensive cameras may think, what exactly about image quality of your D3100 is giving you problems?
If you don't figure this out, you may just end up getting the same image problems with a more expensive camera.

Feb 26 13 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Studio Still

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The new, and not yet released, Nikon D7100 would be a camera that I would look at very seriously if I was in the market.  It is Nikon's least expensive camera so far to have the same focus module as their top line cameras.  Its 1.2k body only.

Feb 26 13 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Withers Photo

New York, New York, US

Nikon D600, some primes, 24-70 and 70-200. Realize that if you are going to do this professionally, you are going to have to invest more than a D7000... this isn't including your gear and liability insurance that you should buy before you have the gear. The 7000 is a good camera no doubt, but the 600 will outlast it by far and serve your needs much better IMO.

Feb 26 13 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Carolina Goddess wrote:
Higher quality images. Something more professional. I enjoy my 3100 but consider it a For fun camera. I want to expand and offer professional services. Show up to shoot a wedding with a 3100 and there are quests there with more professional cameras. I was looking at a D7000. But I am wondering if a D3X might be a better investment. I have read some negative reviews about the 3X though.

no matter what you buy, it is likely there will be someone at a wedding with a more expensive (or more professional) camera. the higher up you go in weddings the more likely it is, since higher-end weddings cater to a richer clientele and their friends/guests are usually not homeless people.
There are no bad cameras out there these days.  even the entry level cameras and kit lenses are competent.  are you going to be a wedding shooter? that's a specific niche and specific requirements.  are you going to shoot sports primarily? different feature set.
are you going to shoot in the studio or on location? again, different feature sets.
if you are saying you want to stick with Nikon, I'm assuming you have an investment in Nikon glass. what lenses?

Feb 26 13 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Studio Still wrote:
The new, and not yet released, Nikon D7100 would be a camera that I would look at very seriously if I was in the market.  It is Nikon's least expensive camera so far to have the same focus module as their top line cameras.  Its 1.2k body only.

Would agree with this.  You also might consider checkin out the Nikon D5200... sweet 24 megapixel camera and a few hundred less than the D7100... wink

Feb 26 13 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Carolina Goddess wrote:
Show up to shoot a wedding with a 3100 and there are quests there with more professional cameras.

Buy a camera the guests would not be bringing to the wedding...yet...

https://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/productimage_9397.jpg?width=800&height=600&nostretch

When someone asks, what camera is that? Just tell them, it's the unwedding guest camera...  ninja

(camera shown: about $600 RRP with internal 16GB memory)

Feb 26 13 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

KFM Designs

Augusta, Missouri, US

D7000
D300S
D700
D800
D4 in you can afford it

I am a Canon shooter but that would be I best guest!

Feb 26 13 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Carolina Goddess wrote:

Come guys, don't insult her.  She is talking about D3x, don't ask her to get a flimsy Dx Nikon.  I would recommend her to get at least a D4 or H4D.  smile

Feb 26 13 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

afplcc

Fairfax, Virginia, US

Carolina Goddess wrote:

The D3X is a photojournalist's camera.  Buy it if you're going to go cover a war...or shoot professional sports in terrible light.

Some of the other posts are correct--you really need to be clearer about what you need in a new camera (other than "a better camera").  Let me give you some examples:

--size:  some women and older shooters prefer a smaller/lighter body.  So a D5100 or D700 or D300s is going to be better than a D3X or D700.  I'm not being sexist about this...it really does make a difference if you're holding a 1.5 pound camera vs. a 7 pound camera for a couple of hours.
--low light:  no-one wants a camera that is mediocre at low-light but the reality is that there are some cameras that are superb at it (the entire D3 series) and you pay a premium for that (do you really need to shoot at ISO6400?).  And if you're not really shooting that much in that setting, than you can skip that option and look for something less expensive.
--full frame?
--need video option?
Answer those questions and you've a better idea which body to go for.

I have no idea what your budget is (although if you're seriously considering a D3X than that implies your budget is anything you want to buy).  My advice would be to NOT buy the best camera you can afford.

Instead, get a darn good camera  body (D7000 or D300s).  And then go out and blow serious cash on professional quality glass.  Blow $2,000 on a fast zoom.  Or spend $1,500 on a professional quality 35mm lens.  B/c the glass matters more than the camera body anyway.

Ed

Feb 26 13 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

imcFOTO

Bothell, Washington, US

Carolina Goddess wrote:

If the D7000 appealed - then there's good news. The D7100 is coming in March - upgraded to 24 Mp and lots more - and that means the D7000 will likely be available at discount soon. You can go full frame if you want (D600 maybe) but remember your DX lenses won't work on full frame (but will on D7000/7100).

As they say though - it all comes down to budget and whether you want a camera for the next few years or for longer. I can't imagine I will outgrow my D700 for a while but I may still trade up to D7100 just for the jump in mps.

Feb 27 13 12:12 am Link

Model

Carolina Goddess

Augusta, Georgia, US

Connor Photography wrote:

Come guys, don't insult her.  She is talking about D3x, don't ask her to get a flimsy Dx Nikon.  I would recommend her to get at least a D4 or H4D.  smile

Some one offered me a really great deal on the D3X. I enjoy my 3100 and have gotten some really good work out of it. If my hubby would leave me alone and let me learn it better LOL I want to shoot in studio as well as location. I used to shoot dirt track races back in the days before digital. I had a pentax and it was great. I think I will keep looking and look into the D4.

Feb 27 13 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Gallery 59 Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

When the D4's came out, I took advantage and bought a slightly used D3S from someone who was upgrading. It had a shutter count of 11,000 and I paid $3300 for it, including an extra battery. Saved me a few grand, which I then used to buy some more good glass. You could consider that route, or get a D600. Great versatile camera, full frame, lightweight body, and pretty inexpensive. You can find lightly used ones for around $1600-1700. Should serve all your needs pretty well. Good luck!

Feb 27 13 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Ryan South

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Carolina Goddess wrote:

Some one offered me a really great deal on the D3X. I enjoy my 3100 and have gotten some really good work out of it. If my hubby would leave me alone and let me learn it better LOL I want to shoot in studio as well as location. I used to shoot dirt track races back in the days before digital. I had a pentax and it was great. I think I will keep looking and look into the D4.

You said at the beginning you didn't want to spend too much but now you're considering a $6000 D4?!?!?!  Not that I've shot any weddings professionally but if I did I'd want 2 FX bodies(d700+d600 would be just fine)(3500ish), a 24-70(1,500), a 70-200(2000) a 50mm/85 1.4(250-2000), something wide(20mm-d for budget350) a macro(55mm or 60 for budget 2-300),2 ttl flashes(600ish) bags, light modifiers, stands, tripod, bracket, radio triggers(pws preferred)(500?)... You pretty much need all of that to be on the same level, gear-wise as most wedding shooters with a d4 or d3x.  If it were me, I'd get the other stuff first, not to mention the training.... hope that's helpful.

Feb 27 13 11:47 am Link

Photographer

FEN RIR Photo

Westminster, Colorado, US

Get better lenses, that is what image quality relies on.  Don't worry about guests having better equipment at weddings, as long as you know what you are doing you are fine.

I've shot half of my weddings with a Rebel t2i's.  Plenty of guest with loads better, but I've got the knowledge and lighting to do far better than they.  Most of them were still in Automatic with a $7,000 body and $2,000 lens.

Feb 27 13 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

BBMS

Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom

Set a budget and stick to it. 

Buy the best camera body and the best two lenses (50mm prime and a 24-70mm ish type zoom depending whether Canon or Nikon) you can afford. 

The Nikon D600 has issues with dust on the sensor, Nikon finally admitting it is a real problem, so unless you're planning on buying lots of sensor cleaning kits, give that particular model a miss.

There are forums on Flickr for just about every model of camera currently available so have a trawl through them too for some info.

Feb 27 13 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jouissance Images

Bloomington, Minnesota, US

PhillipM wrote:

Yep

Yes indeed.

And you don't want to show up using the camera the client gave his teenage kid for Christmas. Anyway, forget the B.S. about "it isn't the camera, it's the photographer."  Without the right tools, you'll tread water, at best.

Feb 27 13 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jouissance Images wrote:
And you don't want to show up using the camera the client gave his teenage kid for Christmas

I do that all the time, lol tongue

Feb 27 13 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Image Works Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Carolina Goddess wrote:
I have a Nikon 3100. I want something better. I prefer a Nikon. Gonna have a photography page on here before long and I want to do it justice. Any suggestions on which Camera would be best. I don't have a Huge budget.
Thanks!

With new cameras coming out every 2 years you have many options in the used market and refurbished not too far behind. All my cameras and pro lenses were purchased this way. Even tho I agree that nothing can take on a good lens- advances in cameras can aid in your photography. I would look into a D7000.

Feb 27 13 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

MILLAR  STUDIO wrote:
The Nikon D600 has issues with dust on the sensor, Nikon finally admitting it is a real problem, so unless you're planning on buying lots of sensor cleaning kits, give that particular llama a miss.

Buzzzzz... wrong answer!  I've owned the D600 for over 4 months now... ZERO issues with dust or anything foreign on the sensor since day one.  This camera received a 'Gold Award' with an 87 rating over at DPReview.com.  Definitely NOT a camera to miss... wink

Feb 28 13 12:07 am Link

Photographer

bgcfoto

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Edward Shaw Photography wrote:
Over and above what guests with more expensive cameras may think, what exactly about image quality of your D3100 is giving you problems?
If you don't figure this out, you may just end up getting the same image problems with a more expensive camera.

Seriously one of the most useful replies in this thread. 

Otherwise just get the D5. (yes, I know)

Feb 28 13 06:56 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

MILLAR  STUDIO wrote:
The Nikon D600 has issues with dust on the sensor, Nikon finally admitting it is a real problem, so unless you're planning on buying lots of sensor cleaning kits, give that particular model a miss.

Select Models wrote:
Buzzzzz... wrong answer!  I've owned the D600 for over 4 months now... ZERO issues with dust or anything foreign on the sensor since day one.  This camera received a 'Gold Award' with an 87 rating over at DPReview.com.  Definitely NOT a camera to miss... wink

then why did Nikon recently acknowledge dust as an issue?
seems kinda dumb to acknowledge a nonexistent problem.

https://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Feb 28 13 07:59 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Carolina Goddess wrote:
Higher quality images.

the glass and the sensor determine image quality, not the body. a tripod and basic photography course will do more to improve your images, then a new camera.

Carolina Goddess wrote:
Something more professional. I enjoy my 3100 but consider it a For fun camera. I want to expand and offer professional services. Show up to shoot a wedding with a 3100 and there are guests there with more professional cameras.

there will always be some amateur that can afford top shelf equipment. i have seen some of the worst images, shot with some of the most expensive equipment made.

an FYI, if you are going to shoot weddings, you are going to require two of every piece of equipment you have.

Carolina Goddess wrote:
I was looking at a D7000. But I am wondering if a D3X might be a better investment. I have read some negative reviews about the 3X though.

i have a D7000, it is not anything i would bring to a wedding for any other reason then a back up body.

what negative things have you heard about a D3x? it is arguably one of the best digital cameras made.

https://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Feb 28 13 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Numael D Hernandez

San Francisco, California, US

Carolina,

I would recommend a Nikon D7100 as well, based on my very positive experience with the D7000.  It's very reasonable cost is a factor.

The D7100 24 MP resolution and the ability to use excellent, yet lighter and less expensive DX lenses are major advantages, in my opinion.  If you want credit-card thin depth of field, you can always lower the ISO and/or use neutral density filters.

If the video capabilities are as good or better than the D7000's (they should be), you are in for a treat.

Otherwise, of course there are the D3x, 4, ...5?  And, since you are  more or less starting out... I'd look into Canon as well (Canon 5D Mk3?  yum, yum...)

Best,
Numael

Feb 28 13 08:42 am Link