Forums > Critique > How do I become agency represented?

Model

Inertia Creeps

Sunnyvale, California, US

What photos should I use and dump?
What type of work should I get?

I'm losing weight to sample out the fashion industry, I'm a size 6 dropping to a size 4 ( :0! ) I'm planning to hit below 120. It's been fun being a freelance model, but I'd like to see how far I can go in this business.

Advice would be A+!

Feb 26 13 11:24 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

I see very little in your port that would be suitable for a fashion agency at this point. but that's okay, since you don't need an accomplished portfolio to get signed. you need good snapshots, and you need agents that like your look.

fashion is tough though. You may want to think about commercial smile. For commercial, you probably do need some starting pictures... think smiley stuff, catalogue, very natural.

Feb 26 13 11:30 am Link

Model

Inertia Creeps

Anna Adrielle wrote:
I see very little in your port that would be suitable for a fashion agency at this point. but that's okay, since you don't need an accomplished portfolio to get signed. you need good snapshots, and you need agents that like your look.

fashion is tough though. You may want to think about commercial smile. For commercial, you probably do need some starting pictures... think smiley stuff, catalogue, very natural.

Thank you! I've read fashion is tough. How would I be able to get into commercial? I am pretty knowledgeable of the artistic world, but when it comes to commercial and fashion I am a complete novice.

Feb 26 13 11:32 am Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Yep get your stats down
And just go into the agency's w head shots and body pics.

Feb 26 13 11:54 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Inertia Creeps wrote:
Thank you! I've read fashion is tough. How would I be able to get into commercial? I am pretty knowledgeable of the artistic world, but when it comes to commercial and fashion I am a complete novice.

it's basically the same process smile. Look for agencies that don't (just) have highfashion boards, but also more commercial looking girls as well. Look at their portfolio's (a lot), and learn from it. that will tell you what you need.
commercial has standards, but is a bit more forgiving than fashion (regarding height, size and age). you need a great, natural looking smile though!

a commercial portfolio doesn't mean all your shots need to be supercheesy either... well it's a bit hard to explain, just look at commercial boards of agencies smile.
here's the "lifestyle women" board of Ford. that's about as good as it gets, but there are plenty of other agencies out there so this is just to give you an idea about pictures smile

http://models.fordmodels.com/models/12#./77?

Feb 26 13 12:03 pm Link

Model

Inertia Creeps

RachelReilly wrote:
Yep get your stats down
And just go into the agency's w head shots and body pics.

Thank you. With or without makeup?

Feb 26 13 12:11 pm Link

Model

Inertia Creeps

Anna Adrielle wrote:

it's basically the same process smile. Look for agencies that don't (just) have highfashion boards, but also more commercial looking girls as well. Look at their portfolio's (a lot), and learn from it. that will tell you what you need.
commercial has standards, but is a bit more forgiving than fashion (regarding height, size and age). you need a great, natural looking smile though!

a commercial portfolio doesn't mean all your shots need to be supercheesy either... well it's a bit hard to explain, just look at commercial boards of agencies smile.
here's the "lifestyle women" board of Ford. that's about as good as it gets, but there are plenty of other agencies out there so this is just to give you an idea about pictures smile

http://models.fordmodels.com/models/12# … 1000336532

oh and the great thing is that they have the polaroids of each model online as well!

Gracias! This is really helpful, you have no idea.

Feb 26 13 12:12 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Inertia Creeps wrote:
Gracias! This is really helpful, you have no idea.

no prob! and check out the polaroids, it's that type of picture that you need to submit to agencies (little to no make up, clear face, showing your body, tight clothing or underwear, no distractions, showing your body and face in different angles, natural, some smiley ones, etcetera)

also check out the fashion's board, if you want: you'll see a bit of a difference between the commercial board and the fashion board!

EDIT whoops, the link I gave you directs you to the Classics board, it was meant to link to the "lifestyle women" board smile. (classics is for commercial, mature models)

Feb 26 13 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Inertia Creeps wrote:

Thank you. With or without makeup?

Look nice with minimal makeup!

Feb 26 13 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

I think its going to be a struggle for you to get an agency as your look doesnt "say" that. You may have more success trying to tap into the commercial print market- using your ethnicity to an advantage for advertising - think banks, credit cards, computers etc. For that market you need smiling, personable photos- mostly close up but a few full body and interacting with people.

If you are trying for fashion, despite what I wrote above, your current photos will be of little help.  You need a nice, well lighted head shot and better styling.

any way ATB

I just read you are asking about commercial agencies- one of the very best here in NYC is

www.bellaagency.com  not saying you should apply to them but look at their web site at girls similar to you and use their photos as a guide for your tests.

Feb 26 13 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

pullins photography

Troy, Michigan, US

Anna Adrielle wrote:

She didn't ask for a critique, she asked how to get signed with an agency, to which the answer is, get a good headshot, and 3-5 good photos with some variety, then submit along with a resume and why you want to be represented. Going to an agency is like going to a job interview, and the answer is to answer, why should they pick you over someone else.

Feb 26 13 12:56 pm Link

Model

Inertia Creeps

Mark wrote:
I think its going to be a struggle for you to get an agency as your look doesnt "say" that. You may have more success trying to tap into the commercial print market- using your ethnicity to an advantage for advertising - think banks, credit cards, computers etc. For that market you need smiling, personable photos- mostly close up but a few full body and interacting with people.

If you are trying for fashion, despite what I wrote above, your current photos will be of little help.  You need a nice, well lighted head shot and better styling.

any way ATB

I just read you are asking about commercial agencies- one of the very best here in NYC is

www.bellaagency.com  not saying you should apply to them but look at their web site at girls similar to you and use their photos as a guide for your tests.

Thanks! I'm checking out your port and had read your bio. I will be doing some fashion work and would like to know if every now and then I could ask you for advice? I admire your experience. It's incredibly holistic.
I definitely would like to jump into commercial. I also think it would be a tad easier.

Feb 26 13 12:58 pm Link

Model

Inertia Creeps

Mark wrote:

any way ATB

Thanks! I'm checking out your port and had read your bio. I will be doing some fashion work and would like to know if every now and then I could ask you for advice? I admire your experience. It's incredibly holistic.
I definitely would like to jump into commercial. I also think it would be a tad easier.

Feb 26 13 12:58 pm Link

Model

Inertia Creeps

pullins photography wrote:

She didn't ask for a critique, she asked how to get signed with an agency, to which the answer is, get a good headshot, and 3-5 good photos with some variety, then submit along with a resume and why you want to be represented. Going to an agency is like going to a job interview, and the answer is to answer, why should they pick you over someone else.

Thank you, I like the insight on the resume. This will be very beneficial for me! I appreciate it.

Feb 26 13 12:59 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

pullins photography wrote:

she asked what photos to keep/dump, and what she needs, and I answered smile.

anyway... most submissions happen online, and "resumes" are not included with that. A model's resume is her portfolio anyway: if you have any tears or publications, bring those. if you have special talents (this is something they may ask on the site, and otherwise when they meet you) like balletdancing or fitness or something, definitely mention that too (you will probably be asked to fill in a list with your measurements, flaws, talents, etcetera). but I wouldn't bring an actual resume smile

Feb 26 13 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

Inertia Creeps wrote:

Sure no problem

Feb 26 13 09:22 pm Link