This thread was locked on 2013-07-25 10:51:13 by Sita Mae. Reason: Post has been removed.
Forums > Newbie Forum > Redskye comics scam?

Model

Dreamchaser2u

Posts: 24

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Feb 28 13 07:08 am Link

Feb 28 13 07:10 am Link

Photographer

Lost Viking

Posts: 1326

Ashville, Ohio, US

I don't know if it is a scam or not but it is not unusual for comic companies, especially start ups to ally themselves with a real live model to help promote the book/company. They usually need you to then show up at comic cons and sign stuff.

Feb 28 13 07:17 am Link

Model

Amelia Vane

Posts: 86

Somerville, Massachusetts, US

Actually I received a message today from Red Skye Comics for their model search. They seem legit but I can't really find any information for how their services benefit the model. Did you find out more about them, I'd be interested to know more.

Apr 08 13 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Will Snizek Photography

Posts: 1387

Beckley, West Virginia, US

They have a web presence.  Just check the Better Business Bureau for complaints.

Apr 08 13 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Posts: 7973

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Moderator Note!

Amelia Vane wrote:
Actually I received a message today from Red Skye Comics for their model search. They seem legit but I can't really find any information for how their services benefit the model. Did you find out more about them, I'd be interested to know more.

Could you flag these messages, if they were sent through MM messaging so the moderators can take a look.

Please use the "Flag this PM/Sender" feature found at the bottom of the message.
That even gives you the option to include the message that was sent to you so that we can take a look at that as well, no copying and pasting and all links will be intact.

Thanks smile

Apr 08 13 10:19 am Link

Photographer

ME_

Posts: 3146

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Just because they SAID they were from Red Skye doesn't mean they ARE from Red Skye.

Did they spell it all one word in the email they sent you? If so, scam.

Are they asking for your Paypal login info? Scam.

Check out the other models they are using for the same purpose and see if you fit the parameters. If, for instance, "Calvin Klein" sends a message to a short size 10 older model saying she's wanted for his new spring collection ... well it's not Calvin Klein writing. Calvin Klein will not be hiring short size 10 older models to show his new line, ever.

The fact is that it is almost impossible for any model to receive a legitimate email from a legitimate organization saying she's been chosen, or selected, or approved, etc., for their new campaign / catalogue / website / show. It just doesn't happen like that.

Apr 08 13 11:02 am Link

Photographer

ME_

Posts: 3146

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Just thought of something - if they provided a supposed link in their email to Paypal and said you should click on that and create an account - THAT IS A 100% SCAM.

If you have done this, go in immediately and delete the account because what you have done is allow them access to YOUR OWN bank account and credit card. Then notify your financial institutions what happened.

NEVER click on any link from anyone who says to create an account, log in here, verify your info, etc. Always go separately to that page and to the relevant page / link on your own. If you click on theirs, you are doing anything from allowing them access to that account to allowing them access to your entire computer.

Apr 10 13 05:59 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

Posts: 7252

New York, New York, US

ME_ wrote:
Just thought of something - if they provided a supposed link in their email to Paypal and said you should click on that and create an account - THAT IS A 100% SCAM.

If you have done this, go in immediately and delete the account because what you have done is allow them access to YOUR OWN bank account and credit card. Then notify your financial institutions what happened.

NEVER click on any link from anyone who says to create an account, log in here, verify your info, etc. Always go separately to that page and to the relevant page / link on your own. If you click on theirs, you are doing anything from allow them access to that account to allowing them access to your entire computer.

+1

If someone is hiring you for anything, there is no reason why you need to set up an account. That alone tells me it's a scam. There is no legitimate reason for anyone to require you to have any kind of account to receive a payment.

Apr 10 13 06:21 am Link

Photographer

Albertex Photography

Posts: 15421

Mansfield, Texas, US

Odd website.  Looks like they do models and comics?  http://www.redskyeworld.com/
Did the email come from xxxx@redskyeworld.com, if not definitely a scam.  If they ask for money, scam.  If they want to send you a cheque and you send some of it on, scam.  Use your best judgement.

Apr 10 13 06:41 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Posts: 18030

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Buggin Out Photography wrote:
They have a web presence.  Just check the Better Business Bureau for complaints.

The BBB isn't a law enforcement or gov't agency.  It's a business.
Many scammers are known to join the BBB in order to get 'good' ratings.  For the most part, BBB ratings are nothing but bullshit.

Watch and learn:
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/business- … dtY7_m1GSo

Jul 08 13 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Ed Woodson Photography

Posts: 2644

Savannah, Georgia, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

The BBB isn't a law enforcement or gov't agency.  It's a business.
Many scammers are known to join the BBB in order to get 'good' ratings.  For the most part, BBB ratings are nothing but bullshit.

Watch and learn:
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/business- … dtY7_m1GSo

Fact!

Jul 08 13 05:40 pm Link

Model

reni rush

Posts: 289

Carbon Hill, Alabama, US

I received messages from them back in Nov/Dec of 2011 through MM.

Jul 08 13 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Posts: 9566

Seattle, Washington, US

Buggin Out Photography wrote:
They have a web presence.  Just check the Better Business Bureau for complaints.

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
The BBB isn't a law enforcement or gov't agency.  It's a business.
Many scammers are known to join the BBB in order to get 'good' ratings.  For the most part, BBB ratings are nothing but bullshit.

Watch and learn:
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/business- … dtY7_m1GSo

I agree. If anything in doubt, check with the State Attorney General Office.

In fact, BBB itself is a scam. Ever notice how they sell membership?

Jul 08 13 07:02 pm Link