Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > What would you improve about Wacom tablets?

Retoucher

Solstice Retouch

New York, New York, US

Hey guys, I have a question that I tend to ask a lot of people.

If you could improve the current line of Wacom tablets, what would you improve on?

Please list your reasons along with which model/line you are referring to (Bamboo, Intuos, Cintiq).

I am curious to hear your responses!

Mar 07 13 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

The new ones I've just seen at a trade fair are touch screen.

Mar 07 13 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

I have a Bamboo. I would like to draw on the actual image instead of watching it on the screen and trying to figure out where my brush went! Drives me nuts!

Mar 07 13 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Karasev Studio

New York, New York, US

I have a large Intuos and I expect this form factor does not have much to live (except in supercheap form). Cintiq was the writing on the wall but in its present iteration is extremely cumbersome - it just screams "overpriced early adopter special".

Where I see things are going is this:

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/lon … m-2013025/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-a … let_review

Basically what I expect to see next year is a completely standalone slate / tablet computer with the computing power greater than today's performance oriented laptops, with a retina display, and with Intuos touch sensitivity over the display area, and maybe DisplayPort or multiple HDMI interfaces to hook up a couple of additional displays. For well under $2K.

Mar 07 13 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Been done ' Wacom cintiq 24HD. Even more impressive 'inkling'.

Mar 07 13 04:02 pm Link

Retoucher

Joann Empson

Walnut Creek, California, US

I would add more buttons, similar to the way David Revoy did it. He used a re-purposed gamepad.

https://www.davidrevoy.com/data/images/blog/2011/07/gamepad-hack.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qvSkDAB.jpg

Mar 07 13 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Karasev Studio

New York, New York, US

c_h_r_i_s wrote:
Been done ' Wacom cintiq 24HD. Even more impressive 'inkling'.

This is the one I'd referred to as cumbersome.

Imagine the 24HD's active area (but twice the pixel density) and the thickness of Intuos, and it's not a display it's the whole computer you can take on the road. And it has battery life and WiFi. And it does not have the desk bracket the designer on the video had to "effortlessly" adjust.

Mar 07 13 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Bring back the Oled display lights on Express key buttons the Intous 4 had

Mar 07 13 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

Marin Photography wrote:
I have a Bamboo. I would like to draw on the actual image instead of watching it on the screen and trying to figure out where my brush went! Drives me nuts!

So you would like your $80 bamboo to have the same capabilities as a $1000 cintiq?

I would like my bamboo to have actually useful touch capabilities. Holy bloody hell, the touch resolution on this is abysmal. I use my macbook air and the cursor glides. I use my bamboo and it chunks along like a retarded kid. Also, the multitouch is a bad bad bad joke. zooming is chunky as shit, and scrolling is slow and horrible.

Mar 07 13 11:45 pm Link

Retoucher

Gary Alan

Esperance, Western Australia, Australia

I would like to see an optional portable usb pad or some such thing that contains all the button functionality, I use a Cintiq 24 Hd and I find it uncomfortable from having to have my left hand up on the screen all the time. If I had a moveable pad that i could put on my lap or table or whatever i would be a happier retoucher..

Mar 08 13 06:13 am Link

Photographer

SKITA Studios

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Make the Intuos5's buttons easier to push.

I like where they're going w/ their own custom tablet if they can calibrate the screen.

Mar 08 13 07:33 am Link

Photographer

Warren Joyce

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

I'd like more buttons on the Cintiq.

Having to move the keyboard aside & then reach over to it is pretty uncomfortable.

Mar 08 13 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Ruben Vasquez

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Joann Empson wrote:
I would add more buttons, similar to the way David Revoy did it. He used a re-purposed gamepad.

Really? He went through all that trouble to add more buttons? I just went and bought a gamepad. It's a Belkin N52te (the thing on the left). You can program all kinds of keyboard shortcuts to that thing!

https://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu356/Ruben9V/Myworkstation.jpg

http://www.belkin.com/n52te/index1.html

Mar 08 13 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

PE Arts

Falls Church, Virginia, US

I would like 100% pressure to mean I am not indenting/scratching the surface of the tablet. And I hate having to constantly play with the pressure settings depending on what I am doing

Mar 08 13 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

MarcMarayag

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

the price

Mar 08 13 08:23 pm Link

Retoucher

Solstice Retouch

New York, New York, US

MarcMarayag wrote:
the price

What kind of price point would you like to see each line be at? It seems to be fair priced, especially due to the quality and build.

Mar 08 13 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

MarcMarayag

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

well for the lower end cintiqs...

the screen sucks - not ips not led backlit - for 1000-2000$?

doesn't make any sense to me

i enjoy their lower end line and intuos line but their cintiq lineup is wonky

Mar 08 13 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Greggain Photography

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

I had about 3 different intuous tablets (4's)

The surface no matter how gentle I was always seemed to wear to a point where the stylus caught. I have replaced 2 of the surfaces so far.

The styluses also wear quickly, so I find I keep having to purchase new sets.

Keep in mind, I do a lot of editing (lots and lots)

I also have a small fleet of Monoprice tablets, which I also love and I'm on my second stylus since purchase, same surface.

Dunno.. I guess longevity of the surface and stylus would be my preference.

Mar 08 13 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

Ruben Vasquez

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Imageography wrote:
I had about 3 different intuous tablets (4's)

The surface no matter how gentle I was always seemed to wear to a point where the stylus caught. I have replaced 2 of the surfaces so far.

The styluses also wear quickly, so I find I keep having to purchase new sets.

Keep in mind, I do a lot of editing (lots and lots)

I also have a small fleet of Monoprice tablets, which I also love and I'm on my second stylus since purchase, same surface.

Dunno.. I guess longevity of the surface and stylus would be my preference.

How hard are you pressing???

Mar 09 13 12:42 am Link

Retoucher

a k mac

London, England, United Kingdom

A surface that can be lifted out and flipped or rotated to lengthen the wear life.

Mar 09 13 01:10 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Greggain Photography

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Ruben Vasquez wrote:

How hard are you pressing???

Not hard at all. Like I say, it's frequent use that wears this down. I have a light touch

Mar 09 13 01:19 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Long lasting tips I have a bamboo  and the tips wore down rather quickly and I don't even use it daily.

Mar 09 13 06:29 am Link

Photographer

SKITA Studios

Boston, Massachusetts, US

AKMac wrote:
A surface that can be lifted out and flipped or rotated to lengthen the wear life.

Forgot about this...that's something I was surprised about the Intuos5 as well...I can see that they needed to do it for touch to work, but touch on phones still work even w/ screen protectors on, so you'd think you could have a cover for the touch sensitive surface.

That said, after a year of use, I don't see any wear on it yet, so maybe they did address the surface scratching up issue...

Mar 09 13 07:46 am Link

Retoucher

a k mac

I must admit, I haven't seen any significant wear either, yet. But I have had surface wear problems in previous versions where, once the surface was broken, it just got deeper every time the stylus dug in.

Mar 09 13 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Roscoe

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

I would change where the buttons are or the layout of the buttons. I have one hand on the keyboard instead of using the wacom buttons as I'd rather use them.
So def something to do with the buttons everything else I am happy with.

Mar 09 13 06:06 pm Link

Artist/Painter

JJMiller

Buffalo, New York, US

A cheap-o usb or wireless numpad is great to use in conjunction with a tablet if your app of choice supports remapping of functions to other buttons.

Mar 11 13 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Feverstockphoto

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

Bamboo - One made of some plastic type material with a qwerty built in keyboard that can roll up and flex. Could press button on it or pen to show keyboard overlay.

Mar 12 13 10:40 am Link

Retoucher

FLEXmero

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

Cintiqs are just good tablets stuck onto consumer screens.

If they intend to sell them to professional studios that rely on their NEC or EIZO displays for soft proofing, then they need to join forces with companies that make professional monitors. Otherwise, the cintiq will remain no go for professionals and studios that require color certification.

Mar 12 13 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Silke Photo

Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

AKMac wrote:

absolutely agree!
I always end up drawing on the same spot and I'm already terrified of the moment when I notice the surface there is starting to get worn out.
I dunno IF it can even get to the point but I like the idea of just being able to change the surface instead of buying a whole new tablet.

I use the intuos4 M and I'd love to have more buttons!

I use the wheel for one option only actually (brush size).
Clicking the button in the middle to change wheel options, somehow takes to long (I would constantly have to click through all 4 options)
More express buttons, I could assign my most important shortcuts to would be awesome!

Mar 13 13 01:51 am Link

Retoucher

FLEXmero

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

I could do with no buttons at all. My hand rests on the keyboard, which has enough of them anyway. I do 90% with keyboard shortcuts. If I had to move my left arm from the tablet to the keyboard every time I needed to do something that wasn't configured on the tablet, I would go crazy.

In fact, first thing I do when I install the Wacom driver on a new computer, is to disable all buttons.

Mar 13 13 04:53 am Link

Retoucher

a k mac

FLEXmanta wrote:
I could do with no buttons at all. My hand rests on the keyboard, which has enough of them anyway. I do 90% with keyboard shortcuts. If I had to move my left arm from the tablet to the keyboard every time I needed to do something that wasn't configured on the tablet, I would go crazy.

In fact, first thing I do when I install the Wacom driver on a new computer, is to disable all buttons.

+1

Mar 13 13 05:14 am Link

Retoucher

Retouch007

East Newark, New Jersey, US

AKMac wrote:
+1

+1

Mar 13 13 05:23 am Link

Retoucher

FLEXmero

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

And BTW, the touch function, totally useless for retouchers. It doesn't work like one should expect. It's sluggish and does not respond in a way that doesn't slow down the retouching process.

I thought: Intuos5, cool, no I can rotate the canvas and zoom and move around with my hand. The truth is that moving, zooming and panning with the space, Z and R keys is still the best and most fluid way of doing those tasks.

Result: I regret having bought an Intuos5L when for the same price I could have gotten an Intuos4XL. I like my tablets big because I use more than one monitor and I don't like my active area getting too small when forcing proportions.

I miss the days when a manufacturer designed something so good that didn't need constant change year after year. Intuos4 was already all we needed. No room for improvement. No need for 3G or surround speakers. It's a tablet. The intuos line are professional devices. Don't turn them into toys.

Mar 14 13 07:09 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Beauty Photo

Lansing, Michigan, US

FLEXmanta wrote:

^^ Agree.

FLEXmanta wrote:

I miss the days when a manufacturer designed something so good that didn't need constant change year after year. Intuos4 was already all we needed. No room for improvement. No need for 3G or surround speakers. It's a tablet. The intuos line are professional devices. Don't turn them into toys.

Couldn't agree more!!

Mar 14 13 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Daniel Ecoff

SHERMAN OAKS, California, US

Ruben Vasquez wrote:
Really? He went through all that trouble to add more buttons? I just went and bought a gamepad. It's a Belkin N52te (the thing on the left). You can program all kinds of keyboard shortcuts to that thing!

https://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu356/Ruben9V/Myworkstation.jpg

http://www.belkin.com/n52te/index1.html

nice setup.. The only thing that needs adding is a 2nd Palette Monitor.

I wouldnt change a thing about Wacom.. I think they've got it dialed in. Ive been using them since the very 1st one came out. And I have never used the programmable buttons ever. Dont need them, they actually just get in the way, so I disable them.

Mar 14 13 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Daniel Ecoff

SHERMAN OAKS, California, US

Andrea Acailawen wrote:

FLEXmanta wrote:

^^ Agree.

Couldn't agree more!!

DITTO !!

Mar 14 13 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

FLEXmanta wrote:
If I had to move my left arm from the tablet to the keyboard every time I needed to do something that wasn't configured on the tablet, I would go crazy.

i dunno... I set a couple buttons to go up and down the layer stack so i could whack them really quick with my right thumb as I drew. It kind of helped, since the buttons were vertical, like the layer stack, and not horizontal, like alt[ and alt]

Mar 14 13 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Ruben Vasquez

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Daniel Ecoff wrote:
nice setup.. The only thing that needs adding is a 2nd Palette Monitor.

I wouldnt change a thing about Wacom.. I think they've got it dialed in. Ive been using them since the very 1st one came out. And I have never used the programmable buttons ever. Dont need them, they actually just get in the way, so I disable them.

Once I save up enough for the 24" Cintiq, I'll be using the 12" for my palette monitor.

Mar 14 13 02:29 pm Link

Retoucher

Lulie Lens

Paris, Île-de-France, France

I have a cintiq and I find the buttons to be a bit stiff.

Mar 16 13 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

I have an Intuos 5, and only got it because my Intuos 2 died. I would have a mouse that glides on the tablet, like my Intuos 2 had. It is very useful, and the better tool for certain functions. I never use the "touch" feature on my Intuos 5, it works awkwardly, in my opinion. My son, (the computer genius) said there is a way to use a mouse on the 5, I might ask him to help me set it up that way. I use a mouse that sets apart from my tablet. Otherwise, it functions very similarly.
-Don

Mar 24 13 07:43 am Link