Forums > General Industry > Photographer requests cell phone picture prior to

Model

Danielle Hieronimi

Chicago, Illinois, US

Is it normal practice for a photographer to request a cell phone picture prior to a nude shoot?

I'm planning on working with a photographer I like in two months, and he requested I send him a nude cell phone picture today, so he can see what my body looks like for him to plan the shoot. He said that the pictures would be deleted a few minutes after receiving them.

I just want a consensus as to whether this is normal practice, and I should do this or not?

Thank you!

Mar 23 13 06:52 am Link

Photographer

C h a r l e s D

Los Angeles, California, US

If the photographer is going to hire you for nudes, and you don't have any nudes to view in your portfolio, it is not an unreasonable request.  I don't like surprises when hiring nude models.

Mar 23 13 06:58 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

If you are shooting nude and your portfolio does not have any nudes (and, in your case, not even a bikini shot), it is entirely reasonable to send sample nudes.

The photographer needs to get an idea of your physique, what tattoos you have or don't have, etc.

Mar 23 13 06:59 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I looked in your portfolio here, I saw nothing to go by. No bikini, no nudes, nothing. How else do you suspect he'd know what he is working with?

I may ask for the same thing if I am shooting nudes or implied with a model with none of that in her port.....or in a case where every image looks heavily retouched, I'd want to know why.....same as agencies and MM ports having "Polaroids" so we can see the natural canvas.

Mar 23 13 07:00 am Link

Photographer

Srefis

Asheville, North Carolina, US

C h a r l e s  D wrote:
If the photographer is going to hire you for nudes, and you don't have any nudes to view in your portfolio, it is not an unreasonable request.  I don't like surprises when hiring nude models.

+1

Maybe upload your nudes to your portfolio and you won't get this request.

Mar 23 13 07:01 am Link

Model

Danielle Hieronimi

Chicago, Illinois, US

I understand why he's asking for them. I'm not daft.

I indicated to him that I am starting nude work at the beginning of April which will give me experience and also give him an idea of what I look like prior to shooting, which is two months later.

I was just wondering if it was generally a safe way to do so rather than sending a bikini picture to start with.

Thanks everyone.

Mar 23 13 07:02 am Link

Photographer

C h a r l e s D

Bikini pics are not nude pics.  They're almost worthless to a nude photographer.

If you're worried about cell phone pics sent to his cell, upload something here for him to view.  Even those same cell phone pics.

Mar 23 13 07:03 am Link

Model

Danielle Hieronimi

Chicago, Illinois, US

Yes, I am aware. Again, I am just cautionary with proceeding to send nudes with my cell phone without even sending bikini first.

All I really wanted to know was whether this was common to request or not, and now I know it is. Problem solved.

Mar 23 13 07:05 am Link

Model

Danielle Hieronimi

Chicago, Illinois, US

C h a r l e s  D wrote:
Bikini pics are not nude pics.  They're almost worthless to a nude photographer.

If you're worried about cell phone pics sent to his cell, upload something here for him to view.  Even those same cell phone pics.

Good idea, thank you. I'll just upload to here.

Mar 23 13 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

I am guessing it's a fair request if you are planning on shooting nude and don't have any to view. It could be that he wants to know what your skin looks like. Some people have lots of discolorations, marks, scars, body fat in strange places, third nipples, tails and such...haha

Mar 23 13 07:09 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Alright, if you understand why he's asking, I guess I don't understand the context of the question. In the past, when I've asked for this, I don't want it sent to my phone. I don't care if they use a phone, point and shoot camera, if they email it to me with enough pixel dimensions to actually see it, I'm satisfied. As far as bikini first, if I was setting up a nude shoot, and I got a bikini pic instead, I'd be concerned that nudes aren't for that model and would proceed cautiously.

I would keep private emails as a means of that for now, until you have some portfolio of nude.....then post the "polaroid" here in your MM port. That could save you from getting the flood of GWC inquiries in the meantime, it's better you pick the people for now.

Mar 23 13 07:10 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

I do request A Today's Photo....The reason I ask for a Today's Photo through MM...is there is fraud and fake's on MM. Some models truly don't look the way they portray themselves in their own Ports. Tooooooo Much Photo Shop. Melt away their massive fat. Over Photo Shop their faces to make them look younger!!!  Fake their ages...So I ask for a camera phone picture..to keep them very honest...and when they will not provide..They are Frauds and Fakes.

Mar 23 13 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

Is the person on MM?  Has he worked with anyone you know?  Have you seen any pics that he has taken?

I would ask, and I would expect a model not to worry about providing me with pics, but there are 'collectors' out there who do not intend to set up photoshoots and just want models to send naked pictures of themselves.  If you are at all unsure about the photographer's motives then it might be best to give up on the shoot and to look for a photographer you will be more comfortable with.

Mar 23 13 07:17 am Link

Photographer

liddellphoto

London, England, United Kingdom

I don't understand how you can be willing to be photographed nude with this photographer but not take a nude picture of yourself to send it to them (especially if you have no nudes in your portfolio).

This is no different to a 'polaroid': an unretouched unstyled representation of you as you are today so they know what you look like.

Mar 23 13 07:34 am Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

I find it odd that you'd happily upload a possibly unflattering image (because of the recording-medium used) to MM where anyone can view and download the image, but not send it to one person who presumably could be asked to delete it.

If you're going to shoot nude, just get on with it - I know the 'idea' of sending nude images via cell-phone sounds a bit seedy, but in this context it really isn't.

Mar 23 13 08:06 am Link

Photographer

New Art Photo

Danielle Hieronimi wrote:
Is it normal practice for a photographer to request a cell phone picture prior to a nude shoot?

I'm planning on working with a photographer I like in two months, and he requested I send him a nude cell phone picture today, so he can see what my body looks like for him to plan the shoot. He said that the pictures would be deleted a few minutes after receiving them.

I just want a consensus as to whether this is normal practice, and I should do this or not?

Thank you!

--I think asking for nude photos, two months out "to plan a shoot" is a little odd.
If you intend to do nude modeling,
I would get a nude photo (s)  you are proud of, and upload  them to your MM site.
I can see sending them to the photographer if you are ten days out from the shoot and actively talking about it. but
two months is a long time. by then you may not even want to work with this photographer anymore.

Mar 23 13 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

It is totally a legitimate request... if you are working with a legit photographer.

I understand your hesitation. There are some creepy dudes out there just looking for cheep thrills by conning you into sending them some nudie pics. There are a couple of ways to avoid the creepers. You can look at their portfolio and see if they do good quality work in a style that you like with a variety of models. If they do, then there is a pretty good chance they can do the same for you, and they are not likely a creeper. You can also contact other models they've worked with, or ask for references. Ask the models what he's like to work with.

If he has a good portfolio, and his past models liked working with him, then I wouldn't hesitate to send the cell phone pics as requested.

Mar 23 13 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

To Danielle Hieronimi-

As others have stated, his request is very reasonable given that you don't have any nudes on your portfolio.

I would suggest rather than emailing him the images you actually take some of yourself and post them on MM. Make sure you have clear, well lit whole body shots of your front, both sides, back, and one of your face. It doesn't need to be with a cell phone. It can be done with a point & shoot.

Photographers want to know what they're committing to before confirming for a nude shoot.

Mar 23 13 08:37 am Link

Photographer

JOEL McDONALD

Portland, Oregon, US

If need be, take a series of cell nudes and put them in a password album in your MM portfolio. When you have quality ones then delete the cell ones as necessary.

Mar 23 13 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

To me that seems more creepy than anything. Plus if you take them yourself what more could a cell pic show (other than boobies) that a bikini or simple underwear pic wouldn't?

Andrew Thomas Evans
www.andrewthomasevans.com

Mar 23 13 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

New Art Photo wrote:
two months is a long time. by then you may not even want to work with this photographer anymore.

+1

I think the dude just wants one of the first nude pics of you for his enjoyment.

Also, just because they take good pictures doesn't mean they aren't or can't be perverted sometimes.

Andrew Thomas Evans

Mar 23 13 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

I indicated to him that I am starting nude work at the beginning of April which will give me experience and also give him an idea of what I look like prior to shooting, which is two months later.

What is the magic about April?

Mar 23 13 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Andrew Thomas Evans wrote:
To me that seems more creepy than anything. Plus if you take them yourself what more could a cell pic show (other than boobies) that a bikini or simple underwear pic wouldn't?

Andrew Thomas Evans

Seems kinda standard for a number of your replies.......wrong.

Mar 23 13 10:01 am Link

Photographer

JOEL McDONALD

Portland, Oregon, US

+1

I think the dude just wants one of the first nude pics of you for his enjoyment.

Also, just because they take good pictures doesn't mean they aren't or can't be perverted sometimes.

Andrew Thomas Evans

That IS the flip side of the coin.

If it's a TF shoot then he can just book you and work with what you have.

Mar 23 13 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

JOEL McDONALD wrote:
If it's a TF shoot then he can just book you and work with what you have.

Plus if they are really that good then they still could plan something - it's not like they don't know her general stats - and the hone in the planning later once nudes are up or something.

IMO if I was doing a shoot with her I'd be more concerned with how well she posed, if she danced, or if she is flexible, long before I'd worry about any body features - unless she has a huge scar half the size of her leg or tattoos or something.

But I do think the OP should take some simple bikini pics of herself in a mirror and post those.

Andrew Thomas Evans

Mar 23 13 10:05 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Yes, I am aware. Again, I am just cautionary with proceeding to send nudes with my cell phone without even sending bikini first.

All I really wanted to know was whether this was common to request or not, and now I know it is. Problem solved.

Is there some rule I don't know about that you need to send bikini photos via your phone "first"?

If this is regarding a nude shoot, I don't understand why a bikini has anything to do with it.

Is there something about April that would help all of this make more sense?

Mar 23 13 10:06 am Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

DougBPhoto wrote:
Is there something about April that would help all of this make more sense?

Perhaps the OP was being 'creative' with her DoB when signing up for MM...?
Not that I'm saying this is the case, but usually when models defer nude shoots until after a specific date, it's for reasons of legal-age requirement.

Mar 23 13 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Andrew Thomas Evans

Um... everything ELSE that is the point of a nude shoot?

OP, it's perfectly reasonable for someone to see what you will currently look like for the style of shoot you're going to be doing.  I think that 2 months prior to the shoot is a little long for getting "current polaroid" shots, as your body really can change a bit in 2 months.

If you're really worried about it, you can always just take the photos and not include your head in them.  The important part is for the photographer to see your full body, front, side and possibly back, without fancy lights and retouching.

Or.  It's a scam and he just wants naked pictures of you.  But it's probably not.

Mar 23 13 10:12 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

RKD Photographic wrote:

Perhaps the OP was being 'creative' with her DoB when signing up for MM...?
Not that I'm saying this is the case, but usually when models defer nude shoots until after a specific date, it's for reasons of legal-age requirement.

IF that is/was the case, then it would not be a good idea to send any images via cell phone.

Mar 23 13 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

Good Egg Productions wrote:
Or.  It's a scam and he just wants naked pictures of you.  But it's probably not.

It has all the red flags for me.

OP is young, just starting to do nudes and doesn't have any nudes up now. Photographer wants to be the first to see her, and getting cell phone pics is a way to do that.

I mean really, again, what would a cell phone show that could be of any real value? Do we really care about what her nipples look like, how long they are, if she has a big hohaa or what?

Andrew Thomas Evans

Mar 23 13 10:15 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

OP is young, just starting to do nudes and doesn't have any nudes up now. Photographer wants to be the first to see her, and getting cell phone pics is a way to do that.

I mean really, again, what would a cell phone show that could be of any real value? Do we really care about what her nipples look like, how long they are, if she has a big hohaa or what?

Andrew Thomas Evans

On the other hand, it could be a totally legitimate request, and the information above is just be an insight into the way your mind works.

Mar 23 13 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

DougBPhoto wrote:
On the other hand, it could be a totally legitimate request, and the information above is just be an insight into the way your mind works.

You mean the part of my mind that want's nothing to do with a cell phone pic of a 18 year old new nude model 2 months before a shoot?

Huge red flags!

And again, what kind of detail would that picture have and how could it really impact a shoot that will happen in a few months? I do agree that the OP needs to have more mainstream industry standard bikini pics, but I can't see a need for any cell phone nudes.

Andrew Thomas Evans

Mar 23 13 10:21 am Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

Andrew Thomas Evans

This is a valid argument.  It doesn't mean the guy is up to no good.

Mar 23 13 10:21 am Link

Photographer

JOEL McDONALD

Portland, Oregon, US

Search for a local photog right there in Chicago that you like and that is in sync with the types of nudes you want to do. There are many that are very good and just starting out.

And quality nude models are very sought after.

Contact him/her with the TF offer to do a shoot in the next week or so. Specify the types of nudes you want to do.

Get a nice and classy selection of your nudes. Then post these images for that other photog to view.

Cell nude pics are so not what you want to show for your first nude effort if you can avoid it.

Mar 23 13 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Demeter Photography

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I understand why he's asking for them. I'm not daft.

I was just wondering if it was generally a safe way to do so rather than sending a bikini picture to start with.

Thanks everyone.

So just tell him to wait until your nude shoot is done.  Better to send him a watermarked, (hopefully - better quality picture).  I can't think of a reason why he/she would be opposed to waiting to see a nude pic.

Mar 23 13 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

I would never ask a model to send me naked photos of herself over a cell phone or email. I would tell them to post a nude photo on their profile on here.

Models should really put some clean fresh natural shoots of themselves in their profile. Makes everyones life so much easier big_smile

Mar 23 13 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Hopkins

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

If you have a website password protected, you can let him have access to posted pics

Mar 23 13 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Thomas Evans

JOEL McDONALD wrote:
Search for a local photog right there in Chicago that you like and that is in sync with the types of nudes you want to do. There are many that are very good and just starting out.

And quality nude models are very sought after.

Contact him/her with the TF offer to do a shoot in the next week or so. Specify the types of nudes you want to do.

Get a nice and classy selection of your nudes. Then post these images for that other photog to view.

Cell nude pics are so not what you want to show for your first nude effort if you can avoid it.

I'll second this.

Andrew Thomas Evans

Mar 23 13 10:25 am Link

Photographer

JOEL McDONALD

Portland, Oregon, US

Erlinda wrote:
I would never ask a model to send me naked photos of herself over a cell phone or email. I would tell them to post a nude photo on their profile on here.

Models should really put some clean fresh natural shoots of themselves in their profile. Makes everyones life so much easier big_smile

I totally agree. There are tons of quality photogs that are totally fine with TF for a new model.

Mar 23 13 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Andrew Thomas Evans

Yes.  If I'm paying someone to add to a series, I want specific bodies with specific requirements.  These things WOULD be important to me.  Now, that said, I probably would not be interested in paying a first time nude model for my series.

And THAT said, I have worked with first time nudes for my series for trade, and it's worked out really really well.

Mar 23 13 10:28 am Link