Photographer

rickspix_uk

Southend-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom

Following on from another thread about home made gear , sometime back I had time on my hands , little cash and the desire for a beauty dish .... so I made one !  Now the other day I was shooting at a studio and decided to do a side by side , mine against a professional one costing around £120 ( $175 ish )  .

Guess which is which, and let me have your reasons for thinking this pls.

https://www.rickspix-uk.co.uk/media/gallery/_DSC9578.jpg

https://www.rickspix-uk.co.uk/media/gallery/_DSC9574.jpg

Mar 24 13 01:43 am Link

Photographer

Arznix

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

What size beauty dish? The transition from light to dark is a little harsh to my eye for a large beauty dish positioned in close.

Mar 24 13 01:48 am Link

Photographer

MarcMarayag

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

bd's seem to be positioned in a unflattering way imo

but if i would have to guess

A would be the professional one

Mar 24 13 01:57 am Link

Photographer

rickspix_uk

both were around 22 in diameter,  a little over head height and about 2 to 3 feet from the head

Mar 24 13 02:03 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

regardless of anything, i prefer the light in "A".

Mar 24 13 07:32 am Link

Photographer

still-photography

Bothell, Washington, US

The "lighting" differences from your dishes are negligible compared to the differences in image color, exposure and the position/expression of the model.

They could easily have been shot with the same dish, then processed differently.

Mar 24 13 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Steven Bodo

Seattle, Washington, US

still-photography wrote:
The "lighting" differences from your dishes are negligible compared to the differences in image color, exposure and the position/expression of the model.

They could easily have been shot with the same dish, then processed differently.

+1

Mar 24 13 10:38 am Link

Photographer

rickspix_uk

They were both shot with the same light and camera setting, I just got the model to stand as still as possible while I changed the dishes !  and both are straight from the camera , no processing other than standard lr / cs6 generic !

However , if you think they could be shot with the same dish , I guess that means my cheap home made one cant be that bad !

I am tho rather curious as to why there is a colour change, I tried editing one to match the other and couldn't even get close !

Mar 24 13 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Steven Bodo

Seattle, Washington, US

maybe one of the dishes isn't reflecting the full color spectrum?

Mar 24 13 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

SKITA Studios

Boston, Massachusetts, US

same focal length?  Model's features look like they were shot w/ a wide angle on B...or she's really weird looking :-)

Lighting is better on A.  White balance is a lot better.  B is too warm so I'd guess A is the real BD.  Which brand was it?

Mar 24 13 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

MarcMarayag wrote:
bd's seem to be positioned in a unflattering way imo

but if i would have to guess

A would be the professional one

the whole point of a BD is to be flattering.  I wouldnt even hazard a guess because I'm pretty sure both can be used in a more yummy way.

Mar 24 13 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

V-R-Photo

Rancho Palos Verdes, California, US

I am thinking your dish is the second one and it's made of some material giving it a warm cast, possibly the center disk.

Mar 24 13 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

rickspix_uk

SKITA Studios wrote:
same focal length?  Model's features look like they were shot w/ a wide angle on B...or she's really weird looking :-)

Lighting is better on A.  White balance is a lot better.  B is too warm so I'd guess A is the real BD.  Which brand was it?

Just checked , both shot at 1/125, F10 , A was shot at 70mm and B at 40mm both with a nikon 35 - 70 f2.8 lens & a d7000 , using the same strobe setting ! 

Unfortunately as the real one isnt mine I dont know what brand it is .

Mar 25 13 12:05 am Link

Photographer

rickspix_uk

I am also very interested in the comments about usage... I am definately not an expert,  and from what I have read the ideal position is from 12 - 24 inches from the model and about the same higher than the head.  Maybe I should have had it a bit higher , but I am looking to get feedback from those of you who use these things regularly.

Mar 25 13 12:17 am Link

Photographer

rickspix_uk

No response , was really hoping for some comments to my last post.... normally learn a lot here but seems to be a bit lacking here !

Mar 26 13 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

Rather than use a model, light a wall at various distance (1 to 3 times the dish diameter) and let us check out the patterns.

Mar 26 13 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

rickspix_uk

here is an image showing the 3 distances as you suggested !

https://www.rickspix-uk.co.uk/media/gallery/dish2.jpg

Strobe settings the same, camera settings and position identical

This is with the strobe metered for F5 at the wall in each case

https://www.rickspix-uk.co.uk/media/gallery/dish3.jpg

Mar 27 13 04:43 am Link

Photographer

Creative Concept Studio

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Here's my $20 home made beauty dish.

14" garden bowl from Home Depot, 12 ounce tupperware container with the bottom cut out and a 3" concave mirror in its place.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2012/2234623743_890acced6b_m.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2073/2235411414_db982178a3_m.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2108/2234623801_4e6d6814c2_m.jpg

Result on a silly daughter:
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2335/2235407614_b607d498e1_m.jpg

Mar 27 13 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

rickspix_uk wrote:
Strobe settings the same, camera settings and position identical

Not identical. Close. Similar, but just look at the size of the BD and the crown molding in the two images. Not the same view.

Do you not have a tripod to keep the camera in the exact same position?
Do you not have a light stand to keep the BD in the exact same position?

You are essentially asking us to critique your DIY BD. I suggest the other forum for that.

Mar 27 13 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Michael Broughton

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

i'd suggest losing the tupperware and holding the mirror in place with wire instead, otherwise you're going to shorten the lifespan of the flash tube, or start a fire with the modeling lamp.

Mar 27 13 07:56 am Link

Photographer

rickspix_uk

photo212grapher wrote:

Not identical. Close. Similar, but just look at the size of the BD and the crown molding in the two images. Not the same view.

Do you not have a tripod to keep the camera in the exact same position?
Do you not have a light stand to keep the BD in the exact same position?

You are essentially asking us to critique your DIY BD. I suggest the other forum for that.

Each set of 3 images were taken with the bd on a stand and with the camera on a tripod, there probably was a small amount of movement between the 2 sets of 3 tho. And no I am not looking for a critique or it would be somewhere else !  I originally made the post as a bit of fun to see who could guess which image was taken with the real BD and which was taken with mine, although subsequently due to a few comments decided to ask for help on how to use a bd better as it was suggested the results could be improved! And I for one dont think my skills are beyond improvement!

Mar 27 13 08:03 am Link

Photographer

rickspix_uk

I actually posted this else where as well , and guess what all those who expressed a preference all said they thought the light from A was best so am I downhearted with my $15 BD, Not at all.....

A was mine , a plastic washing up bowl and an enamel plate!

Mar 30 13 10:30 am Link