Forums > General Industry > Early morning shoot, wake up sick

Model

V for Victory Modeling

Roseville, California, US

So what do you do if you wake up for a morning shoot feeling under the weather? I called a photographer when I woke up to advise that I am not feeling well...no answer to the phone. Does this look bad?

Mar 24 13 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

Yes

Mar 24 13 07:46 am Link

Photographer

Amy J Jones Photography

Fallston, Maryland, US

If you take this seriously you show up anyway.  I have worked many, many days sick.

Mar 24 13 07:50 am Link

Model

V for Victory Modeling

Got ahold of him and thankfully he hadn't left the house yet. We agreed to reschedule. I also don't think they'd appreciate my spreading germs and making them sick. I can't say how many times someone has come to work sick coughing all over...I'd rather they cancel then spread their germs.

Mar 24 13 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

oh, i thought you were just hung over...

Mar 24 13 07:55 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

Valerie Kelly wrote:
So what do you do if you wake up for a morning shoot feeling under the weather? I called a photographer when I woke up to advise that I am not feeling well...no answer to the phone. Does this look bad?

This kind of thing happens in a real world. It sounds like you did the only thing you could have done - call the photographer. Personally, I would be willing to reschedule. I prefer to NOT get anything that might be contagious, and it can be very hard to model when one is sick, not to mention that one can look like hell under those circumstances.
  We should just be...human !
-Don

Mar 24 13 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Valerie Kelly wrote:

To me? Yes.

I am not the type of person who just wakes up one morning so sick I can't function. I know about two to three days prior when I'm getting ill. Unless I had 11 beers last night. So I don't have any empathy for anyone waking up "sick".

If it were me, you'd have to bend over backward pretty far to make a reschedule happen if I got up really early (not a fan of early mornings) got showered and loaded up the car with gear only to get that call that I could have just slept in.

I'm not saying that you're lying or that you're irresponsible, but if you did it to me, I wouldn't be able to keep myself from thinking that.

Mar 24 13 08:11 am Link

Model

V for Victory Modeling

Yosh Studio wrote:

Lol no, I actually don't drink. Maybe have a margarita once in awhile, but I've actually never been drunk.

Yeah, I actually shot a shoot while recovering from a cold once...it was freezing and we were way over schedule since the guy took his time at Macy's during our shoot. He kept wanting to shoot even though I was visibly uncomfortable and my feet were numb.

My friend came to visit a few weeks ago, I didn't know she was sick until she got here...coughing all over. I appreciate her visiting, but we didn't have a good visit because she was sleeping most of the time. I wish she said she was sick, I would have encouraged her to stay home. Last time I was sick, I was sick for 3 weeks with my ribs aching long after. I really, really did not want to get sick.

It was actually his idea to shoot really early in the AM...so I am under the impression he is a morning person.

Ok....back to bed.

Mar 24 13 08:12 am Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Valerie Kelly wrote:
Lol no, I actually don't drink. Maybe have a margarita once in awhile, but I've actually never been drunk.

Yeah, I actually shot a shoot while recovering from a cold once...it was freezing and we were way over schedule since the guy took his time at Macy's during our shoot. He kept wanting to shoot even though I was visibly uncomfortable and my feet were numb.

My friend came to visit a few weeks ago, I didn't know she was sick until she got here...coughing all over. I appreciate her visiting, but we didn't have a good visit because she was sleeping most of the time. I wish she said she was sick, I would have encouraged her to stay home. Last time I was sick, I was sick for 3 weeks with my ribs aching long after. I really, really did not want to get sick.

It was actually his idea to shoot really early in the AM...so I am under the impression he is a morning person.

Ok....back to bed.

nice story.

This photographer you cancelled on...is he the same photographer that doesn't put model credits on his photos?

Which you think is a red flag...so why get up early Sunday morning and go shoot with photographer who is not going to give you credit...
http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=885450

just saying...

Mar 24 13 09:01 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Los Angeles, California, US

Amy J Jones Photography wrote:
If you take this seriously you show up anyway.  I have worked many, many days sick.

It's polite to at least call and let the person know you're under the weather.

Perhaps you don't mind the contagious sicky germs, but many do and don't want to miss a week of their day jobs due to an inconsiderate model.

Mar 24 13 09:06 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

for my part i wouldn't cancel on a model unless i was really sick (like 103 degree fever kind of sick). i would make every effort to get myself together and get myself to the studio. i've had models show up with kidney infections. another one had norovirus-like symptoms and spent a lot of time in the bathroom but we still got some good shots.

so far i've never cancelled a shoot on account of illness. some days are better than others but i try to do my best regardless of how i may be feeling. usually a mocha and some adrenaline will get me through.

Mar 24 13 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Yeah, i guess its the difference between work and play.

but if I had a full test with a team set up today, and a model just called this morning and said she was feeling under the weather....no cool what so ever

Mar 24 13 09:22 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

To respond directly to the OP, unless I was unable-to-leave-the-bed sick, and most of us have been there, I would at least give the photographer the option of me going.

So if I'm really under the weather, I call and inform, and leave the ball in their court.

Mar 24 13 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Fred Gerhart

San Antonio, Texas, US

Yosh Studio wrote:

but if I had a full test with a team set up today, and a model just called this morning and said she was feeling under the weather....no cool what so ever

I think we have all been bit in one way or the other by cancellations. That why I now double book all trade/test work.

Mar 24 13 09:25 am Link

Model

a raw muse

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

K I C K H A M wrote:

It's polite to at least call and let the person know you're under the weather.

Perhaps you don't mind the contagious sicky germs, but many do and don't want to miss a week of their day jobs due to an inconsiderate model.

Yup.

You did the right thing in calling the photographer right away, and it looks like you both worked it out.

As apparent in this thread, everyone has different ideas of what is "right" and "wrong" to do, but the only thing to worry about is what is right in your individual situation.

Personally, if I have anything contagious, I call ahead as far in advance as I can (sometimes it really does sneak up on you though). If the other person wants to go ahead with the shoot, I'll shower and have a lot of tea. If they're willing to reschedule, then we will. I know a good amount of people who do not have the best immune systems, so I always err on the side of caution.

If it's not contagious, I keep working unless I'm seriously ill, in which case I'll be in the ER. I'm non-contagious ill so often, and I can't afford to not work half the month.

Mar 24 13 09:28 am Link

Model

a raw muse

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

Yosh Studio wrote:

I think the key is when calling to notify the photographer/organizer you are sick, to leave it up to them to go on as planned or reschedule.

Mar 24 13 09:29 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

If you can't reach the photographer my advice would be this...

-try again to call, and send an email or text as well
-get in the car and make an effort to get to the shoot unless you are so sick that driving would be dangerous
- call or text while on the way (stop to do so if you must to be safe)
- when you arrive explain your predicament
- at this point you either shoot or reschedule, but if someone is counting on you to show up, you should do EVERYTHING in your power to show up, or at LEAST give more than 24 hours notice

When I worked as a retail clerk in a video store they had extra people on staff all the time, it was not unusual for one or two people to call in sick. The pay was minimum wage and that was just the way things went.

Now I entertain at parties. If I call in sick with less than 24 hours notice (and even more than that with some clients) I will lose all the money I was already paid for that night and I will likely lose that client for good. So if I have the sniffles I work. I bring purell and avoid shaking hands, but I work.

So, it depends on how seriously you take your work as a model and your reputation among photographers (and support teams).

In some markets, your reputation means nothing... but in NYC, LA, Miami, and other "professional" arenas your reputation is everything and today's student photographer may be next years multi-million dollar ad campaign shooter.

Mar 24 13 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photography

Oakland, California, US

The bigger the project the more people involved the more I will push.

But working while sick many times results in sub par work.

I have had to "call in sick" and rebook 3 clients in the past 12 months.

Each of them was gracious, rebooked without a problem and understood that sometimes we get  sick.

It happens.

Mar 24 13 09:43 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

I think there's a big variance in the word "sick."

While I've now said twice that if you're sick, it's good to tell the photographer, I suppose I should add:

Having sniffles isn't really a good excuse to call out of work.
Being dedicated is great and all, but if you have the super contagious, and possibly deadly to some, crazy flu and you're projectile vomiting, you probably shouldn't be participating in a photo shoot.

Oh, and if you're an MUA and you're determined to do so, while being all up in the llama's face, please at least wear a face mask.

Mar 24 13 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Anybody that shows up sick at our studio gets sent home immediately.

I cannot afford to have my staff or myself be out sick and miss our on work because of one selfish person that didn't care who they infected with their germs

Mar 24 13 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

The OP stated - "feeling under the weather," that is very ambiguous.

Everyone seems to assume a contagious cold virus...

Mar 24 13 10:01 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Yosh Studio wrote:
The OP stated - "feeling under the weather," that is very ambiguous.

Everyone seems to assume a contagious cold virus...

Actually, that's false.

Most people came in assuming "sniffles" or "lying."

Mar 24 13 10:02 am Link

Photographer

curiosa des yeux

Seattle, Washington, US

I usually spend up to 2 hours doing makeup and hair for models, which mean close proximity for a long period of time. I prefer to be notified if the model is sick, and I extend the same courtesy to the model if I am not feeling well. Notifying the other person does not mean that you are cancelling, but you are leaving it to them to decide whether or not to reschedule. If they still wish to shoot, then I think it's best not to argue and show up.

I should mention that while most don't think of it, there are many of us (myself included) that may have an auto-immune disease of one sort or another. In my case, I have Crohn's disease, which is basically an auto-immune disease where your immune system is attacking your colon. Catching a cold when you have conditions like this can literally put you out for 3 weeks, where a normal person may only be sick for 3 days. I know some with Crohn's that may end up in the hospital every time they catch a normal cold (thankfully, my condition is not that severe). Imagine that the best case scenario for you catching a cold is that it will be as bad as Bronchitis, and that's what it can mean to people with auto-immune diseases. Calling first when you are sick should just be considered standard practice, IMHO.

Mar 24 13 10:09 am Link

Model

Lillian Faith

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Yosh Studio wrote:

That's kind of rude to assume that all models go out and drink all the time. We are human too, and illness happens sometimes. If it was a hangover, you take aspirin and drink water and coffee. You don't cancel for a hangover.

Mar 24 13 10:10 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

well, with facebook we can see that our model was out late drinking at a club and then when she texts 5 minutes past call time saying she isn't well we aren't surprised. drinking and lack of sleep can definitely make someone feel under the weather. even if the model was legitimately sick the fact that she was out late partying doesn't make us feel very sympathetic.

i guess the moral of the story is be careful posting about your clubbing exploits when the photographer is your fbook friend. you may get de-friended and not be their model anymore (no more free shoots for you and your family missy!)

Lillian Faith wrote:
That's kind of rude to assume that all models go out and drink all the time. We are human too, and illness happens sometimes. If it was a hangover, you take aspirin and drink water and coffee. You don't cancel for a hangover.

Mar 24 13 10:12 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

to me that's way beyond "under the weather"

i've felt "under the weather" at the start of every wedding i've shot (i think the stress of possibly getting sued impacts me negatively) but once i get going i'm good. you can't call in sick on a wedding unless you are on a respirator somewhere.

but, yeah, if the model has bird flu i'd appreciate a heads up on that so i can check with the CDC first. lol.

K I C K H A M wrote:
Being dedicated is great and all, but if you have the super contagious, and possibly deadly to some, crazy flu and you're projectile vomiting, you probably shouldn't be participating in a photo shoot.

Mar 24 13 10:17 am Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Colorado

Castle Rock, Colorado, US

Yosh Studio wrote:

nice story.

This photographer you cancelled on...is he the same photographer that doesn't put model credits on his photos?

Which you think is a red flag...so why get up early Sunday morning and go shoot with photographer who is not going to give you credit...
http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=885450

just saying...

You sure are being rude and unprofessinal

Mar 24 13 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Valerie Kelly wrote:
Got ahold of him and thankfully he hadn't left the house yet. We agreed to reschedule. I also don't think they'd appreciate my spreading germs and making them sick. I can't say how many times someone has come to work sick coughing all over...I'd rather they cancel then spread their germs.

Thank you, for not spreading the germs tongue

Now if you missed the rescheduled shoot date, then yes it will look bad !!!

Mar 24 13 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Colorado Model Amber wrote:

You sure are being rude and unprofessinal

Maybe be rude, but I have seen many too Sunday morning debacles due to Saturday nite escapades when may more was at stake. Even with legitimate agency girls, like missing flights to paid shoots...pissed bookers ...etc...jeesh

Mar 24 13 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

JOEL McDONALD

Portland, Oregon, US

"...feeling under the weather..."

You show up, especially if it's a paid shoot.

"...being really sick with fever..."

You call/email AND txt as soon as you can to alert the photog, ESPECIALLY if it's a paid shoot and let him/her make the call of you showing up or not.

You're a professional. The "show" must go on.

example: Gene Kelly sang and danced in studio rain in the "Singing in the Rain" number when he was sick as a dog and with a 103 fever. They ended up using really warm water for the rain and rushed him outside the studio into the So Cal sunlight between takes.

THAT's professionalism.

Mar 24 13 02:04 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Colorado

Castle Rock, Colorado, US

Yosh Studio wrote:

Maybe be rude, but I have seen many too Sunday morning debacles due to Saturday nite escapades when may more was at stake. Even with legitimate agency girls, like missing flights to paid shoots...pissed bookers ...etc...jeesh

Doesn't give you any right to be rude to the OP though. She asked a question about waking up under the Weather and you assumed she was hung over then you bring up one of her other post. Just cause it happened to you doesn't mean you take it out on others.

Mar 24 13 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

JOEL McDONALD wrote:
"...feeling under the weather..."

You show up, especially if it's a paid shoot.

"...being really sick with fever..."

You call/email AND txt as soon as you can to alert the photog, ESPECIALLY if it's a paid shoot and let him/her make the call of you showing up or not.

You're a professional. The "show" must go on.

example: Gene Kelly sang and danced in studio rain in the "Singing in the Rain" number sick as a dog and with a 103 fever. They ended up using really warm water for the rain and rushed him outside the studio into the So Cal sunlight between takes.

THAT's professionalism.

The word professionalism associated with most shoots via MM makes me snicker.

Comparing a movie set industry with a MM shoot, also makes me snicker.

If someone is really sick, I don't want them within 100 feet me, let alone sneezing & coughing those crazy little germs all over the place. That would mean if they don't get me today, they might still get me tomorrow, depending on their shelf life.

Mar 24 13 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

DarrylPascoePhotography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I agree with many here that whether or not its a bad cold virus or flu or whatever you contact the photographer immediately and let them know, leave it in their court and unless its really bad be willing to head out to do the shoot if they want to still do it. I completely understand some stating that they would prefer the llama not come sick...if its bad enough that I catch it and it keeps me or other members of team out for a week that's worse then the llama not coming that for that one shoot. Thankfully I don't get sick much at all so I don't worry too too much about it.

Mar 24 13 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

JOEL McDONALD

Portland, Oregon, US

Cherrystone wrote:

If someone is really sick, I don't want them within 100 feet me, let alone sneezing & coughing those crazy little germs all over the place. That would mean if they don't get me today, they might still get me tomorrow, depending on their shelf life.

"....ESPECIALLY if it's a paid shoot..."

Mar 24 13 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

JOEL McDONALD

Portland, Oregon, US

Cherrystone wrote:

Let me re-emphasize more "....ESPECIALLY if it's a paid shoot..."

And to me, MY lil ol' paid gigs ARE as important to me as a Movie set industry gig is to those producers.

Mar 24 13 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Valerie Kelly wrote:

Go anyhow.

I have the flu, I'm going to work next week. I'll show up, they'll see I'm sick, they'll either send me home, or let me work sick. Either way, I won't look like a liar.
It's life.

Mar 24 13 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Lodi, California, US

Amy J Jones Photography wrote:

As the photographer, it doesn't affect the images if you've got the snot-faucet running and you look like shit warmed-over. It can be a very different matter for the model.

Mar 24 13 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

my_other_profile

Ankeny, Iowa, US

IrisSwope wrote:

Go anyhow.

I have the flu, I'm going to work next week. I'll show up, they'll see I'm sick, they'll either send me home, or let me work sick. Either way, I won't look like a liar.
It's life.

'

Don't go sad  That is how germs get spread.

OP - yeah, it sounds flaky...but I'd rather you flake on me than cough on me smile

Mar 24 13 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Salinas, California, US

Valerie Kelly wrote:

I'm sorry you're sick, Valerie!  I hope you feel better soon!   I say "-ugh-" to morning shoots!  You know me!  I'm such a night owl who loves sleeping in.  lol

Mar 24 13 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I have had a professional model show up after having a stomach pump from food poison several hours before, one that Ken has also worked with often.  So I don't expect feeling a little under the weather to cut it.

Mar 24 13 03:50 pm Link