Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Professional Corporate Photo Shoot

Hair Stylist

Hair by Jessica W

Houston, Texas, US

I wanted your professional opinion on how you would do makeup for a professional corporate (Law Firm type) shoot and they want a natural look? Can you show me a picture of an example, or explain in detail how you would apply? Is it ok to use shimmers or satin colors or should it be completely matte? I want your thoughts, opinions, and ideas. I do weddings and a lot of times they like shimmer and satin so it's a little different.

Mar 24 13 06:25 pm Link

guide forum

Makeup Artist

Mary

Coronado, California, US

Hair by Jessica W wrote:
I wanted your professional opinion on how you would do makeup for a professional corporate (Law Firm type) shoot and they want a natural look? Can you show me a picture of an example, or explain in detail how you would apply? Is it ok to use shimmers or satin colors or should it be completely matte? I want your thoughts, opinions, and ideas. I do weddings and a lot of times they like shimmer and satin so it's a little different.

Have you ever been on a corporate shoot as an assistant?

Mar 24 13 06:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup Hair by Dani B

Los Angeles, California, US

For men:
Most men on this type of shoot are not comfortable with the whole makeup/hair thing. Chatting and distracting them, while promising there will absolutely be no visible makeup in their photos, usually helps. I don't use makeup-y terms. While using a Dr. Gross peel pad, I tell them, "I'm just wiping your face off real quick." Then I'll apply moisturizer and say, "This is just some lotion." See what I mean? Comb hair in their natural style so they look like themselves, I sometimes sneak some matte styling paste and they think I'm arranging their hair as I piece it out, no prob. For skin my fave thing is Graftobian Dual Finish powder foundation. A little Keromask under eyes as needed for circles. Use a spoolie to brush unruly brows into place. Lip balm that's matte. Do your contouring/highlighting with the same foundation palette, they won't know the difference. And done.

For women:
Again, they're gonna often need some hand-holding. You can do your normal prep and skin like you would on anyone. Stick with neutral tones, nothing shimmery or glittery. No fake lashes. Easy on the brows. Light contouring is enough for eyes, a little tightlining. A rosy neutral lip, nothing too shiny or too matte.

Think timeless, not trendy. A classic version of them at their best. This type of shoot generally involves a lot of people. Don't spend more than 5-8 minutes on each male, 15 on each female. Yes, that is makeup AND hair.

Mar 24 13 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Hair by Jessica W wrote:
they want a natural look?

Seems simple to me.

Mar 24 13 06:56 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Hair by Jessica W

Houston, Texas, US

Today I was a makeup artist for a corporate shoot. It was kind of crazy because the second makeup artist didn't show and I did all 13 people. I know the photographer wanted highlighting/contouring and eyes/lips. She said keep it natural and I asked her if she was against shimmers and satin and she said just not too much. So I used a combination of mattes, satin and shimmer. I was so rushed that I couldn't think straight lol...I feel like maybe some got a little too much shimmer, the lighting was so off but had no time to find another spot in the room, the photographer requested the women have their foundation done before I got there and most of their foundation application was horrible. It was like starting with a bad canvas lol. I think it was a great experience and the women thought I was great but I really hope their makeup turned out appropriate in the photos. That is why I'm asking how you all would do, that way if I ever do this type of job again I can do somethings differently.

Mar 24 13 07:04 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Hair by Jessica W wrote:
...corporate (Law Firm type) shoot and they want a natural look?

Actually do a lot of corporate video work now... mostly male grooming...
Work-flow is pretty much tone, moisturize if needed, conceal, and anti-shine...
Important: if using matte powder be certain to use a drape over the client's garments...
BTW: Males do not appreciate anything that is scented...  be thoughtful here...

Examples?  Since the lion's share is video there are no images for my book...

That said here is an example of a business owner who I airbrushed with TEMPTU S/B
Illumination was from a large softbox so shine really wasn't a major issue...
http://www.restonstudio.com/gallery/Fgallery5-11.jpg

Hope this helps...

Mar 24 13 07:09 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Hair by Jessica W

Houston, Texas, US

ArtistryImage wrote:
Actually do a lot of corporate video work now... mostly male grooming...
Work-flow is pretty much tone, moisturize if needed, conceal, and anti-shine...
Important: if using matte powder be certain to use a drape over the client's garments...
BTW: Males do not appreciate anything that is scented...  be thoughtful here...

Examples?  Since the lion's share is video there are no images for my book...

That said here is an example of a business owner who I airbrushed with TEMPTU S/B
Illumination was from a large softbox so shine really wasn't a major issue...

Hope this helps...

That looks great!

Mar 24 13 07:17 pm Link