Forums > Photography Talk > photographer insurance NYC

Photographer

NYC DALLAS photography

Williamstown, Massachusetts, US

hi so i was asked to do this event but the event space said they need a photographer tat has insurance. My question is
1) how can a freelancer like me get a insurance n what kind of insurance
2) is there any way to work around the whole insurance thing?

the client doesnt really have a huge budget. to be precise $400 for a 3 hour engagement party

Mar 26 13 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

MC Photo

New York, New York, US

General liability is usually around $300/year for $1 million in coverage. You're not going to find someone who will prorate that and write you a $1 policy for the day.

Mar 26 13 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photography

Oakland, California, US

You should refer them to a professional photographer that already has the insurance.

Then, go and pay your 300.00 to get your own policy for the next jobs that come up.
Your insurance policy is just another part of doing business just like taxes & equipment repairs/rentals.

Pretty much all insurance companies do business insurance.
Call them up and make an appointment.

(a few won't insure business who do nudes, if that is part of your business make sure you ask before you cut the check)

I have herd good things about these guys.

http://packagechoice.com/index.jsp#htwms

Also State Farm & Farmers carry business insurance.

Mar 26 13 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

David M Russell

New York, New York, US

It's possible to get very limited (a few hours) of liability coverage. I've been involved in acquiring it for an art opening in a public space in a municipal building, but never for a commercial purpose.

Mar 26 13 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Lafferty

Brooklyn, New York, US

If you're making a dime off your work, you cannot get meaningful pro insurance coverage for less than $600 annual that I know of. I carry a million dollar liability policy which covers $15k in equipment loss or damages and it runs me about $720. My guy is Earl Eaton.

Mar 27 13 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Images by Flap

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

I had insurance for one year because a wedding venue I was shooting in demanded it. The agent was really good and set me up quick, I dont know if he can do NY but his site is: http://www.maddenagency.com/  I believe it was just under $300

I did a lot of shopping around and he was by far the cheapest.

Mar 28 13 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Azimuth Arts

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Images by Flap wrote:
I had insurance for one year because a wedding venue I was shooting in demanded it. The agent was really good and set me up quick, I dont know if he can do NY but his site is: http://www.maddenagency.com/  I believe it was just under $300

I did a lot of shopping around and he was by far the cheapest.

Why on earth did you stop being insured?  Just because a venue does not demand you to have it doesn't mean another venue you use won't come after you for damages. 

And don't necessarily go for the cheapest insurance, make sure you get the coverage you need, and with as few limitations as possible.

Mar 28 13 11:18 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Why the hell would you want to get around insurance?  That is like saying how do I pull the brakes from my car because they add weight, spend the $400-600; it's for your protection.

Regardless of agent I have had the best luck with Zurich and Hartford as underwriters, the rest were pissy about some nudity in my work.

Mar 28 13 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

thanks all for these good points.

Apr 01 13 12:15 am Link