Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Foundation that won't cover freckles

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Ok So I'm a beginner makeup artist I want to cover imperfections and even out the skin tone  but I don't want to cover the freckles I actually want to enhance them. Any tips are greatly appreciated. My foundations are very full coverage and they are great at covering everything  and give me a new smooth canvas but I wanted to know how to do selective covering like smoothing the skin tone without covering the freckles.

Mar 27 13 07:10 am Link

Model

Licorne

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

If you find something that can do this, I want to know! smile

Mar 27 13 08:16 am Link

Model

MCastle

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I know your probably looking for a MUA's input but I have LOT of freckles... A LOT.
I use Clinique's superbalanced.  It's considered "medium"coveraged, has a fantastic smooth finish.  My face routine includes; washing, moisturizer, primer, BBcream, and my foundation.  I rarely use concealer with this foundation.

Also, just imo with my freckles, foundations that leave a "dewy" finish usually work best.  Dunno why, just seems like they do.

Full coverage foundation on freckles usually for me gives a weird mask effect ( I'm sure you've encountered which is why your asking).   Depending on the brand/type  you can always mix foundation with a primer or moisturizer to make it a little thinner too, and be sparse, blend it out from the point of the blemish.

I am NOT an MUA, so this is just personal experience trying to gob stuff on my face.  Good luck. smile

Mar 27 13 08:25 am Link

Makeup Artist

KJB

New York, New York, US

Simply sheer out the full coverage foundation (with moisturizer, primer, etc.)

Mar 27 13 04:10 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

KJB wrote:

+1 Yep, and also you might adjust your application method. Even a sheerer foundation will appear more transparent if you apply it with, for example, a brush that has been misted with water over a dry one, or a stippling brush instead of a filbert shaped foundation brush, etc.

Mar 27 13 07:03 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rachel Mazzie

Buffalo, New York, US

Use Yaby liquid foundation, it's probably the best foundation I've ever used and doesn't cover freckles.  I've used it on a photo in my port and the model's freckles weren't covered at all.  They're $13.55 a tube but they last a long time.  Camera Ready Cosmetics has them as well.

yabycosmetics.com

Mar 27 13 07:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Aaliyah Oke

London, England, United Kingdom

KJB wrote:

+1 Sheer it out and apply it all over the face and use a concealer to cover areas only where needed. This way you can be alot more selective with your coverage, leaving your freckles to shine through.

Mar 31 13 01:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Aaliyah I wrote:
+1 Sheer it out and apply it all over the face and use a concealer to cover areas only where needed. This way you can be alot more selective with your coverage, leaving your freckles to shine through.

yep... just be sure to use the same vehicle as the foundation... i.e. oil base; silicone or water base...

A trick I was taught is to stipple (with a wedge) a thinned cream on then take a fresh wedge and stipple the areas you want to lighten up... that lifts product off very selectively...

It's a cakewalk if you're airbrushing... just pull your gun back a few more inches and move quickly to lay down only a light mist...

gota love freckles...
RCMA thinned way down here...
set lightly with translucent...
https://www.restonstudio.com/gallery/Fgallery9-3.jpg

Mar 31 13 05:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sofia Engerran

Vancouver, Washington, US

conceal any imperfections, and use macs face and body. its a build able coverage so i find that foundation perfect for that.

Apr 04 13 12:10 pm Link