Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Hockey Fans Out There???

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

I was wondering what if anything anyone might like to change about the game of hockey if they could make changes?

Personally I hate minor penalties. First off my hockey team sucks and tends to do better when the other team isn't short-handed, but also it pissed me off that the penalized team can continue to ice the puck when they are supposed to be the ones who are punished. Maybe they should only be allowed to ice the puck for the first minute of the 2 minute penalty?

Also does anyone even know how the refs determine which two players can do the faceoffs? It seems like a deal maker or breaker and the refs seem to have no reasoning behind who they let faceoff against one another.

Any other thoughts?

Mar 28 13 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Seniorbrucio

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Mad Hatter Imagery wrote:
I was wondering what if anything anyone might like to change about the game of hockey if they could make changes?

Personally I hate minor penalties. First off my hockey team sucks and tends to do better when the other team isn't short-handed, but also it pissed me off that the penalized team can continue to ice the puck when they are supposed to be the ones who are punished. Maybe they should only be allowed to ice the puck for the first minute of the 2 minute penalty?

Also does anyone even know how the refs determine which two players can do the faceoffs? It seems like a deal maker or breaker and the refs seem to have no reasoning behind who they let faceoff against one another.

Any other thoughts?

Which game of hockey? NHL? or Beer League?

Faceoffs are not determined by the refs. The center is the one who takes them. Unless they get kicked out for faceoff infractions. Then the offending team decides who will take the face off in lieu of the center.

Mar 28 13 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Mad Hatter Imagery wrote:

Any other thoughts?

You don't know much about hockey, do you?

The Sabres, just like the Bills blew it more than once. Not to mention the Sabres past "ownership" problems.

I don't think Mr. Buttman is gonna change the rules, just to suit the Sabres...or anyone for that matter.

Mar 28 13 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

Lumatic

Brooklyn, New York, US

Frankly, the fact that fighting is such an acceptable part of hockey is damned annoying to me.  I want to see actual gameplay, not a boxing match every period. 

First thing people say about fighting is "it's part of the game" or "there's a strategy to it" or yada yada.  Yeah yeah, piss off with that bullshit.  You show me anywhere in the design book of the game where it says, "this is the part where you fight."

You wanna impress me, then skate, shoot, check, all that.  Play the game.

Mar 29 13 01:00 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Lumatic wrote:
Frankly, the fact that fighting is such an acceptable part of hockey is damned annoying to me.  I want to see actual gameplay, not a boxing match every period. 

First thing people say about fighting is "it's part of the game" or "there's a strategy to it" or yada yada.  Yeah yeah, piss off with that bullshit.  You show me anywhere in the design book of the game where it says, "this is the part where you fight."

The "design book" says when someone is taking cheap shots at the star players of any team, someone is going to step up & bash them. It's been that way for almost 100 yrs....not likely going to entirely disappear.

The bench clearing free for alls of yesteryear have all but disappeared, and it's been tightened up on individual levels too.

What they've really lagged & dragged their feet on is cheap shots to the head.

Even Shanaban is not taking that as far as I think the league should. They should have a 3 strikes and your banned for life policy around that BS. Not too many folks are going to be idiotic enough to give up their hundreds of thousands or millions meal ticket to shoulder or elbow someone's head.

Mar 29 13 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Lumatic

Brooklyn, New York, US

Cherrystone wrote:

The "design book" says when someone is taking cheap shots at the star players of any team, someone is going to step up & bash them. It's been that way for almost 100 yrs....not likely going to entirely disappear.

The bench clearing free for alls of yesteryear have all but disappeared, and it's been tightened up on individual levels too.

Even Shanaban is not taking that as far as I think the league should. They should have a 3 strikes and your banned for life policy around that BS. Not too many folks are going to be idiotic enough to give up their hundreds of thousands or millions meal ticket to shoulder or elbow someone's head.

Agreed, no problem with any of that, and there are dirty players and fights in any sport.  Just don't make it about that if that's not the point of the gameplay.

Hell, the fans are usually worse than the players in that respect anyway.

Mar 29 13 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

Cherrystone wrote:

I think changing the rules would suit the fans of any team. Half the time seems like a pause in the game or racing back down the ice to get the puck the other team sent down there as a defense due to how low scoring a game it is, and how great a risk it is even if someone had a morbindly obese person laying in the goal crease. lol.
You don't know much about hockey, do you?

The Sabres, just like the Bills blew it more than once. Not to mention the Sabres past "ownership" problems.

I don't think Mr. Buttman is gonna change the rules, just to suit the Sabres...or anyone for that matter.

Mar 29 13 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

Lumatic wrote:

Yeah, I generally think the game is too frustrating even for the players that they always have to fight. I mean football players just about never fight and they have much more padding. lol. I did like Rob Ray's tear off jeezy though. lol.

Mar 29 13 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Seniorbrucio

Cherrystone wrote:

The problem is they want to keep up the big fast hits. The hitting is so much faster now and there is less space on the ice due to speed and size increases of the players that head shots have unfortunately become a real danger.

What would solve a tons of problems with hockey at the NHL level would be to widen the ice surface maybe even make it olympic standard.

Its pretty stupid to think that each team pretty much had their own size of rink if they wanted at one point and now we are not even up to international standards.

Want to eliminate fighting. Or at least greatly reduce it. Make the ice surface bigger. The goons generally cant skate and arent going to be risk being played on a surface they will get burned on.

Mar 29 13 09:17 pm Link

Model

Kelli

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Cheap shots really get under my skin. I think players who try to end another guys career or life should be brought up on charges and band from the league, forever.

A lot of fights go too far and that bothers me, but cheap shot guys have no business being anywhere.

Mar 31 13 05:34 am Link

Makeup Artist

AtoZed Creative

Dallas, Texas, US

I think it would be hilarious if goalies had to serve their own penalties.

Mar 31 13 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

Seniorbrucio wrote:

The problem is they want to keep up the big fast hits. The hitting is so much faster now and there is less space on the ice due to speed and size increases of the players that head shots have unfortunately become a real danger.

What would solve a tons of problems with hockey at the NHL level would be to widen the ice surface maybe even make it olympic standard.

Its pretty stupid to think that each team pretty much had their own size of rink if they wanted at one point and now we are not even up to international standards.

Want to eliminate fighting. Or at least greatly reduce it. Make the ice surface bigger. The goons generally cant skate and arent going to be risk being played on a surface they will get burned on.

agreed,I so much like the international game better

Mar 31 13 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Gallery 59 Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

Chris Rifkin wrote:

agreed,I so much like the international game better

I couldn't disagree with this more. The International version has virtually no hitting, and lots of stick work. It's like watching soccer on ice. zzzzzzzzzzzzz

In today's NHL, I don't miss the bench clearing brawls of the 70's. I do support fighting in the game, just not the staged stuff that happens here and there. But that's slowly being eliminated as well.

The head shots? Those have to stop, as do the cheap shots from behind into the boards. Otherwise, I love everything about this game!

Apr 01 13 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

I generally like hockey. But with 2/3 of the season wiped out because of the idiot owners, its hard for me to get jazzed about it.

Though I'll probably change my mind when it happens, its doubly hard for me to get jazzed about the playoffs when so many damn teams make it. Though in fairness its probably a throwback to when 4 of the original 6 would make the playoffs.

Apr 01 13 09:44 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm Canadian and I don't even like hockey.

Apr 01 13 09:46 am Link

Model

NicoleNudes

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

P I X I E wrote:

For shame tongue

Apr 01 13 10:15 am Link

Model

NicoleNudes

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I like the game how it is now.

But I do agree that the cheap headshots and checks from behind need to stop.

Apr 01 13 10:15 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

NicoleNudes wrote:

For shame tongue

I'm an odd one. I know. tongue

Apr 01 13 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

P I X I E wrote:

Sacre bleu! yikes

Apr 01 13 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Chris Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Bring back the red line,  I know it's still there, no more two line passes,  it makes the game more physical.

Apr 01 13 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Chris Photography wrote:
Bring back the red line,  I know it's still there, no more two line passes,  it makes the game more physical.

Oh God....doing away with that was one of the best things hockey did in recent years IMHO.

From a purist standpoint put it back, yeah. But from trying to speed up the game and grow a larger fan base? It's been a good thing.

Apr 01 13 12:29 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Cherrystone wrote:

Sacre bleu! yikes

Shocking, eh?

Apr 01 13 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Seniorbrucio

Trade deadline was awesome. Quiet then BAM craziness for the last hour or so...

Apr 03 13 12:27 pm Link