Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > CS3 and Windows 7

Photographer

Eastcoastphotos

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Hi, hoping to find some help with this annoying issue..

I recently upgraded my system to Windows 7 and my Photoshop CS3 has issues when it comes to using brushes, polygones and eliptical tools.. When using one of these, the tool snaps onto the image at such random areas not selected that it's making the task of editing images tedious and almost impossible. Adobe says CS3 "IS" compatible with Win7 but apparently this is an ongoing issue with so many people, yet I can't seem to find a fix to this problem. And you can't 'upgrade' from CS3 to CS6.. seems like CS3 is no longer supported? I've changed out my mouse, headphones, updated all the drivers available and still no fix.. ergh. Re-installed CS3 3 times and still the same problem.

Adobe tells me my only alternative is to subscribe to the 'Cloud'..

Has anyone experienced such issues and managed to find the fix that actually does fix this ongoing issue? Please drop me a line.. help!

Cheers and thanks in advance if you're able to lend a hand.

Apr 14 13 09:34 pm Link

Retoucher

Joann Empson

Walnut Creek, California, US

I recommend ditching both Windows 7 and Photoshop. Upgrade to the GNU/Linux operating system and use the GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP)!  wink

I admit GIMP does have a steep learning curve, but it is no steeper than the learning curve for Photoshop, and it's worth it for the sake of your freedom. I don't think freedom is an exclusively American value. Canadians must value their freedoms, too!

P.S. Most people know GNU/Linux simply (and incorrectly) as "Linux," due to a misattribution made in 1991.

Apr 15 13 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Eastcoastphotos

Thank you for the response, but unfortunately that is not an option for me at this time.

Cheers

Apr 15 13 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I was running the CS3 master collection and had a variety of issues when I upgraded to Windows 7.   I found that it worked, and I could get around most of the things, but it took some shaking to get it to fly.

Have you tried to set CS3 up to be in compatibility mode?  You can set things to run as if they are in older versions of the OS.  Try faking it out as if it is running in Windows XP.  That is what I did and got around most of the issues.

Apr 15 13 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Joann Empson wrote:
I recommend ditching both Windows 7 and Photoshop. Upgrade to the GNU/Linux operating system and use the GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP)!  wink

I admit GIMP does have a steep learning curve, but it is no steeper than the learning curve for Photoshop, and it's worth it for the sake of your freedom. I don't think freedom is an exclusively American value. Canadians must value their freedoms, too!

P.S. Most people know GNU/Linux simply (and incorrectly) as "Linux," due to a misattribution made in 1991.

sad

Apr 15 13 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Moderator Warning!

Joann Empson wrote:

If you are going to respond - please do so in a manner that is helpful to the OP. There was no mention of wanting to change operating systems and editing software. This is not a Canon vs Nikon vs Sony thread. This is not a PC vs MAC vs Linux thread. Enough said.

Apr 15 13 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Is your computer an AMD? or an Intel processor? I found a few solutions using google in the Windows 7 forums.

And here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/519986

And here: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photos … s-7-a.html

I also read that it is incompatible with service pack 2-3

hope that helps...nite!

Apr 15 13 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

Eastcoastphotos

Thank you GPS and Marin for the advice.. I've already tried some of those listed but through the links provided found some additional things to try in order to fi this problem.

Ideally I would be looking at trying to fix this problem (I paid for the CS3 suite and would expect it to work on W7 like it did on Vista before I upgraded my system).. If all fails and I cannot get it to work properly, my only solution to look into the cloud. Adobe informed me that I would qualify for the reduced rate for the first year since I already own CS3. But I am hoping to fix the problem first..

System: i7 supreme x64, windows 7 pro 64, 24 gigs memory, GTI 560 video. All drivers updated etc.. Again, the problems seem to point towards the logitec mouse or pointers. A new mouse later today and the suggestions in the links might hopefully eleviate the problems. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again for the replies. If something fixes the problem, I'll post the results.

Cheers

Apr 16 13 07:26 am Link

Retoucher

Danny Retouch

Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom

Hi,
Whilst i cannot offer direct help with your problem, i can as least hopefully give you some hope.
I am using Windows 7 with CS3 for the past 4/5 months and have had no problems at all. If there is anything i can do to help (check my system settings) etc  so you can cross-reference with your own set up, then drop me a PM, i'd be happy to help and i appreciate how frustrating things can be.
Danny

Apr 16 13 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

The mouse issue is mentioned in the thread, they said it had to do with some video card settings believe it or not.

I have windows 7 and CS6 and my mouse would go crazy at times.  It turned out to be BonJour -  some app. I couldn't tell you where or when I downloaded it, but once I deleted that, my mouse didn't act crazy anymore..

Control panel - uninstall - check the list and see if you find it and get rid of it...

The other option is in the control panel - go to ease of use and let windows chose its settings for performance. Sometimes that fixes issues all by itself. 

Sorry to throw so much info at you at once. I know there is a fix in there but without your PC in front of me I can't do much else....

Apr 16 13 02:48 pm Link

Retoucher

Danny Retouch

Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom

I was using a logitech wireless mouse up until 3 weeks ago when i got a wacom. No issues with either...(touch wood!)

Apr 16 13 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Eastcoastphotos

Bonjour.. that's the next thing to try..  I hadn't thought of that one as all the references seemed to refer to a connection or installation problem.. but I'll give it a shot.

New mouse, video card setting change blargh.. samo samo.. I can get through the first few brush stroke (painting with light technique, for example) and then the brush isn't where the mouse is pointing, and all mouse settings were nulled out. all other logitec drivers and setpoint removed as well..

As so far as an nVidia 560ti card goes, I haven't been able to find where to turn off 'hardware acceleration'.. though Google / Bing shows a lot of hits in this query, nothing seems to show what or where those settings are..

Everything else I use in CS3 Suite works well enough.. just Photoshop is giving me issues..

Thanks again for all the great suggestions. Much appreciated. Bye bye Bonjour..

Addendum: This Bonjour thing might have helped if I had it installed in the first place... from what I read it's part of iTunes.. which isn't installed on this system. (le big sigh)

Apr 16 13 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Eastcoastphotos

Many thanks to those who were kind to provide suggestions towards trying to get PS CS3 to work on my Win7 system but alas, after several weeks of searching and trying various fixed, nothing worked. In the end I had to sign up for the "Cloud" and well, I should have done it several weeks ago.. (certainly would have saved me a lot of stress wink

CS6 is impressively faster and smoother to use than CS3.. and most importantly, it works well with my system..

My thanks and appreciation..

Cheers

(and now to get a ton of editing done...)

Apr 17 13 04:09 am Link