Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Are tattoos sort of dying? FYI, nothing more.

Model

Fifi

Annapolis, Maryland, US

Nicolette wrote:

I really think having a matching tattoo with my dad would be awesome. Like super awesome. Tim, his older brother, and his dad all have matching, massive family crests tattooed on their backs. I think that's pretty fucking badass.

Okay, I'm really starting to like Tim a lot. tongue

Apr 30 13 09:29 am Link

Model

Nicolette

Midland, Texas, US

Fifi wrote:

Okay, I'm really starting to like Tim a lot. tongue

It's William Wallace's family crest. From Braveheart 
Tim's family is of Scottish descent and his last name is Wallace
So... He got his family crest. (They checked their family line during a trip to Scotland when he was a teenager)

Pretty fucking cool if you ask me.

Apr 30 13 09:54 am Link

Model

Fifi

Annapolis, Maryland, US

Nicolette wrote:

It's William Wallace's family crest. From Braveheart 
Tim's family is of Scottish descent and his last name is Wallace
So... He got his family crest. (They checked their family line during a trip to Scotland when he was a teenager)

Pretty fucking cool if you ask me.

That is awesome!! We found out not that long ago that we have family that traces back to Germany (my maternal Great-Grandmother's family). I've always wanted to dig back further just to see what we can find.

Apr 30 13 10:00 am Link

Model

Nicolette

Midland, Texas, US

Fifi wrote:

That is awesome!! We found out not that long ago that we have family that traces back to Germany (my maternal Great-Grandmother's family). I've always wanted to dig back further just to see what we can find.

I think because of his family.. His one tattoo is cooler than all eight of mine haha

Apr 30 13 11:11 am Link

Model

Fifi

Annapolis, Maryland, US

Nicolette wrote:

I think because of his family.. His one tattoo is cooler than all eight of mine haha

Psh... your tattoos are awesomesauce!!!

Apr 30 13 11:12 am Link

Model

Nicolette

Midland, Texas, US

Fifi wrote:

Psh... your tattoos are awesomesauce!!!

I know they are haha
I just meant with the history. It was super important to him. Also his dad is the fucking coolest.
They went to see flogging molly and his das took of his shirt and started moshing.

The man was 51. Hahaha

Apr 30 13 11:17 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Klarrissa wrote:
In all honesty I could care less if tattoos are dying out or not. Doesn't change my mind about mine. I never got mine to be trendy, mine are a part of my life story that I got put on the outside of my body to share. I dislike being stereotyped just because I have them, my tattoos are NOT my "lifestyle". They don't dictate how I should dress or act.

I absolutely love your ink and your diversity in looks!

Just sayin'

Apr 30 13 11:31 am Link

Model

Fifi

Annapolis, Maryland, US

Nicolette wrote:

I know they are haha
I just meant with the history. It was super important to him. Also his dad is the fucking coolest.
They went to see flogging molly and his das took of his shirt and started moshing.

The man was 51. Hahaha

Okay, officially the second coolest dad ever... Of course, Chad's dad is #1. But, Tim's dad is a very close second.

Apr 30 13 11:59 am Link

Photographer

NYB

Albany, New York, US

I don't know why women want to get tattoos. They look as appealing as skin rash.

Apr 30 13 12:05 pm Link

Model

Nicolette

Midland, Texas, US

NYB wrote:
I don't know why women want to get tattoos. They look as appealing as skin rash.

Attitudes like this are as appealing as genital warts.
What a woman does with her body is her choice. We are not here only to be visual stimulation for you. If a woman wants tattoos, she should be able to get them without hearing this stupid bullshit.

Apr 30 13 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Nicolette wrote:

If a woman wants tattoos, she should be able to get them without hearing this stupid bullshit.

Not sure why you think this?

May 01 13 08:32 am Link

Model

Nicolette

Midland, Texas, US

What Fun Productions wrote:
Not sure why you think this?

Because I am a grown ass woman with tattoos and this shit gets old fast.
What I do with my body is none of your business.
I don't rip on anyone for the clothes they choose to wear. I don't rip on anyone for not having tattoos. You don't get to tell me that my tattoos are disgusting. That's not a fucking thing.

I'm not sure why you DON'T think that. Are you not down for respecting personal choices?

May 01 13 09:03 am Link

Model

-Jen-

Howell, Michigan, US

NYB wrote:

wow, you're about as pleasant as an itchy butthole.

May 01 13 09:07 am Link

Model

Sperohh

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

JadeDRed wrote:

big_smile

I doubt it, people like to act like tattoos are some recent fad but they've been around for aaaages, the popularity of tattoos has grown over time, likely if it was to wane it would go the same way, slowly.

I would also be interested to know how many people who regretted or had tattoos removed went on to have more. Whenever i've heard of it most of the time those people didn't regret getting a tattoo, they regretted getting that specific tattoo, which is not the same thing at all.

It is possible that an increase in tattoo removal will make the procedure easier/less expensive and then tattoos will become less of a big deal, making people more likely to get them.

Heres the thing; I have an entire neck piece. My entire neck and half of my chest is covered in tattoos. Tattoos being on the decline? That will never happen. People without tattoos do not seem to understand, this is not a fashion statement, and frankly..we really don't GAF...who does..or doesn't have tattoos. Our ink is our story..everyone has a story, we just choose to share is using a permament method.

As far as regretting ink. No..I don't. I waited long time before I began my process. I realize and respect this is permament, and all decisions about it should be wise, and thought out. I have not "in the moment" tattoos. Those tattoos are the ones people usually regret...she got a dinosaur eating a baby rabbit on her chest when she was drunk in Vegas? no thank you.

May 04 13 10:12 am Link

Model

Lumen Sky

Center Moriches, New York, US

NYB wrote:

I dont get why men feel entitled to open their mouths in such a rude way on certain subject and feel the desire to put down particularly females. Its about as appealing as a man with a rash on his penis trying to slip it in me and kiss me with blisters all over his lips. No thank you. You keep to yourself and I will keep to myself.

May 04 13 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

Dario Western

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

My housemate Kevin thinks that tattoos on women look 'unfeminine'.  What do you all reckon?

May 04 13 02:58 pm Link

Model

Lumen Sky

Dario Western wrote:
My housemate Kevin thinks that tattoos on women look 'unfeminine'.  What do you all reckon?

I personally dont care what your "house mate thinks, what do YOU think Dario smile

edit: I should add that I dont quite care what you think either, but read above also

May 04 13 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

Danger Ninja

Portland, Oregon, US

itt: a bunch of grumpy opinionated men complain about women doing what they want with their skin and their bodies

grumble grumble "it looks unfeminine", "it looks like a rash, i don't get why they do it" grumble grumble...THEY AREN'T DOING IT FOR YOU, goddamn

May 04 13 11:35 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

If everyone was required to get their husband's/wife's name tattooed right above their business, there would be less divorces.

Hurts more taking that shit off...
& kind of hard to explain that one naked.

lol

May 05 13 04:10 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Dario Western wrote:

I reckon that Kevin is a wimp!

He probably prefers virgins as well...   

Way to go housemate!    borat

May 05 13 07:23 am Link

Photographer

Lazyi Photography

Columbus, Ohio, US

Dario Western wrote:

I don't think that, since you asked.

May 05 13 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Lazyi Photography

Columbus, Ohio, US

NYB wrote:

Do you also find women in the workplace offensive?
Hate to see a woman in pants?
Can't understand why all these models aren't barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen?
Just trying to see where your views are...

May 05 13 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Dario Western wrote:

I reckon that Kevin is entitled to his opinion and those who disagree with him should do so privately (since public criticism seems to be unwanted in this thread).

May 05 13 09:12 am Link

Model

Lumen Sky

Jay  Edwards wrote:
I reckon that Kevin is entitled to his opinion and those who disagree with him should do so privately (since public criticism seems to be unwanted in this thread).

This is a public forum and as long as we stick to the op, it is all good. That is if the concept of tattoos are a dying trend. NOT to insult those who have them, regardless of gender or race.

May 05 13 09:28 am Link

Model

Nathine

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Tatoos fade with time, so they need to be constantly retouched. And of course they will droop. Then again I love my {fill in latest name here} gets old when you move on.

No tats for me.

Nathine

May 05 13 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Joshies Photography

Belfry, Kentucky, US

Tattoos aren't really dying, at least not around here as a lot of people are extremely addicted to tattoos. I have 4 tattoos and couple more would be almost my limit but a lot of people around here has more than 30 tattoos on their body that it's crazy.

I think about 5-8 tattoos are enough, IMO. But a lot of people that lives in this area thinks there's are no limits and it can get a bit of... Cluttered. Anyway, tattoos are dying a little bit in certain areas but not around here though due to quite few of tattoos shop businesses around here.

For tattoos I only had to get black and nothing else, I am not into colored tattoos for unknown reasons although only one reason I can think of is that black don't fade hardly much as the colored tattoos does.

May 05 13 10:41 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Nathine wrote:
Tatoos fade with time, so they need to be constantly retouched. And of course they will droop. Then again I love my {fill in latest name here} gets old when you move on.

No tats for me.

Nathine

Correct!

Tattoos will fade with time... and the worse of a tattooist you had doing the work... the sooner they fade and the lines are going to run! I saw some tattoos that needed touch up after only 18 months... and again... and again...

If the tattooist is also beyond incompetent... then he/she doesn't know anatomy and about proper placement of the main image over certain bodypart... which will cause droopiness, the one you are talking about.

Now considering your assumptions about tattoos... it's easy to guess that your knowledge is based on the work of "scratchers" in your neighborhood.

If you go to a real tattoo artist... you will notice that the tattoo is going to look great even after 40 years wearing it... and the colors will have faded, but evenly and all the color scheme is still there.

Take a look at the Japanese tattoo traditions and you'll get an idea about what I am talking about.

May 05 13 11:06 am Link

Model

amb300

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, US

May 07 13 03:34 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I like tattoos.

I have my own reasons for not having any.
One of them is I've had enough needles poked in me as a kid for allergies.

I only get a needle if I'm forced to or donating blood.

Needles suck.

May 07 13 03:57 pm Link

Model

amb300

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, US

May 07 13 04:46 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

amb300 wrote:

I got over this in Army medic school. One of the things we had to do was train for giving IVs and taking blood. We had to stick each other for several days straight, and since I have really good veins, I got to be the one all the people that screwed up constantly got to stick.

Yikes!!!!!

Cool on the army medic school.
smile

May 07 13 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Gulf Coast Glamour

Bradenton, Florida, US

It did look like they were on the decline, then the tattoo artist competitions came along on TV and now it seems as I review new model members here that they're more than ever.  If the model wants them, that's fine but I wonder if there is any sort of disclaimer on those programs to encourage people to really be certain of this disfiguration before getting it done.  I've heard many-many women say they were sorry for getting them done, many in fact were those mind sets of wanting very elaborate, eventually full body work they had planned to do over years.  The programs should warn about artist errors, life changes that make the tattoo no longer appropriate for the wearer and so on. You hear the argument that the "inked" magazines promise work for the model, well that's much less than the work they can get for the non tattooed looks.  Models, do you wear the same clothing, jewelry, hair styles not just every day but for the rest of your life?  Why then would you want your skin covered with something that really doesn't change plus getting worse looking as you get older.  Just think before getting tattooed up.

May 07 13 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Damon Banner

Hayward, California, US

Nathine wrote:

No tats for me.

Nathine

by the time my tattoos droop along with my skin, my future wife/gf will be too old and blind to give a shit about what is or isn't sagging.  And I'll be too old to still be able to get girls who CAN see them sagging.

May 07 13 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Optix

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Jules NYC wrote:
I just shot for a bike shop and will be doing a second and guess what?
Tattoo free.

See, the biker and tattoo cultures cross over and sometimes are as one, but no need to front one. That's like saying you're not punk without a Mohawk.

I think you missed his point.
From what I read, he meant that the ink limits your opportunities.
He wasn't saying that only inked llamas do bike shoots, or that bike shoots only attract inked llamas. You are simply likelier to fit more easily within the one subculture that embraces personal freedom and expression more readily.

By your same analogy, the Mohawk qualifies an individual more to the punk subculture than say, an updo.

Any statistic or can be manipulated to benefit an opinion, but design trends (e.g., tramp stamps, Celtic armbands, etc.) tend to be victims of their own popularity.

Ink is about being unique.
For *some* people it is about fitting in, until they grow up or "find themselves."

May 09 13 12:14 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Optix  wrote:
I think you missed his point.
From what I read, he meant that the ink limits your opportunities.
He wasn't saying that only inked models do bike shoots, or that bike shoots only attract inked models. You are simply likelier to fit more easily within the one subculture that embraces personal freedom and expression more readily.

By your same analogy, the Mohawk qualifies an individual more to the punk subculture than say, an updo.

Any statistic or can be manipulated to benefit an opinion, but design trends (e.g., tramp stamps, Celtic armbands, etc.) tend to be victims of their own popularity.

Ink is about being unique.
For *some* people it is about fitting in, until they grow up or "find themselves."

I got your point; I think you may didn't get mine.

Wearing a tat, a Mohawk, a leather jacket with spikes, etc. may at first glance associate one with a genre/subculture. Those subcultures are not waving a tat flag, etc. as admission.

Same way I can always see a guitarist without them holding it.

Anyone that I've ever met that has a tat, didn't get one to fit it, even if they were wearing a Misfits tee.

Sometimes I post commentary not to specifically address the OP, the reason I dig OT.

PS - if I had tat sleeves, nah I doubt I'd be doing as much fashion; I get that

Being unique is so far beyond getting a tat; it's within

Are people with tats unique? Yes
Are people without tats unique? Yes

The artwork is unique and is an expression of that individual as a painting to a painter

My take on it all

and done right, tats can be very sexy

May 09 13 04:06 am Link

Photographer

Optix

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Jules NYC wrote:
I got your point; I think you may didn't get mine.

Wearing a tat, a Mohawk, a leather jacket with spikes, etc. may at first glance associate one with a genre/subculture. Those subcultures are not waving a tat flag, etc. as admission.

Same way I can always see a guitarist without them holding it.

Anyone that I've ever met that has a tat, didn't get one to fit it, even if they were wearing a Misfits tee.

Sometimes I post commentary not to specifically address the OP, the reason I dig OT.

PS - if I had tat sleeves, nah I doubt I'd be doing as much fashion; I get that

Being unique is so far beyond getting a tat; it's within

Are people with tats unique? Yes
Are people without tats unique? Yes

The artwork is unique and is an expression of that individual as a painting to a painter

My take in it all

I totally get your point as well, but there are three modern schools of thought when it comes to getting inked. All of these were preceeded by the cultural aspects (e.g., Japanese Yakuza, Samoans, etc.)

1. Some people associate it with The Easy Rider days. fFor them tattoos mark memorable moments in their lives. It isn't art. It's a post-it, or a memorial.
2. Some people love the artistry and simply want to decorate their bodies.
3. Others just want to follow the trends, and get tattooed to fit in. This is  the worst reason to get a tattoo, because it took little forethought, comes with quick regrets, and damages the brand (e.g., tramp stamp)

People will never see eye to eye as long as all of these reasons exist, and I understand and accept that.

The part that photographers in general do not want to accept are models that think that tattoos are so popular that the look now transcends all genres. That is a generalization, I realize that, but I find inked models to be most defensive about this subject.

Again, this is not aimed at you specifically. It is a general statement, but I don't have any other way of presenting it without quoting a multitude of examples.

May 09 13 04:26 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Optix  wrote:
I totally get your point as well, but there are three modern schools of thought when it comes to getting inked. All of these were preceeded by the cultural aspects (e.g., Japanese Yakuza, Samoans, etc.)

1. Some people associate it with The Easy Rider days. fFor them tattoos mark memorable moments in their lives. It isn't art. It's a post-it, or a memorial.
2. Some people love the artistry and simply want to decorate their bodies.
3. Others just want to follow the trends, and get tattooed to fit in. This is  the worst reason to get a tattoo, because it took little forethought, comes with quick regrets, and damages the brand (e.g., tramp stamp)

People will never see eye to eye as long as all of these reasons exist, and I understand and accept that.

The part that photographers in general do not want to accept are models that think that tattoos are so popular that the look now transcends all genres. That is a generalization, I realize that, but I find inked models to be most defensive about this subject.

Again, this is not aimed at you specifically. It is a general statement, but I don't have any other way of presenting it without quoting a multitude of examples.

No. 1 & 2, great... I understand this, yes.
I'm sure some/most? from No. 1 would still consider it art even so

No. 3 can go to the tat shop in the mall.

smile

May 09 13 04:38 am Link

Model

Cecile Cases

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Good Egg Productions wrote:
They're pretty ordinary these days.

It seems you're more unique if you DON'T have a tattoo than if you do.

SO TRUE!

May 09 13 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Fat Kitty Graphics

Fullerton, California, US

Yes absolutely
Now instead of people getting full body tattoos that cover 100%  they are getting the full body except for the soles of the feet and their eyelids which cover only 98% of the body

May 10 13 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Fat Kitty Graphics

Fullerton, California, US

when I go to walmart and see grandmothers with full leg and arm tattoos it makes me sick.
tattoos used to only be on inmates, sailors, yakuza, gang members.
Now every stripper is covered, every  rock star, housewives, grandmas, and so on.

hopefully parents wont start inking their kids or their pets

frankly I still think after all these years that it is tacky looking and I look down on people that do it.

May 10 13 12:24 pm Link