Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Casualty Simulation Techniques

Makeup Artist

BMR-MUA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The latest version, August 2015, of Casualty Simulation Techniques guide is now available for download from:

http://www.barrymrobinson.ca/casualty_simulation.html

60 pages, 6.76mb, PDF format, Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported

Scroll down the page and use the download button.

Detailed instructions for making silicone and gelatin prosthetics using plate molds. Slip casting latex. Creating realistic wounds with makeup.

Apr 22 13 06:19 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

Thank you SO much for the work you put into this!

I'm sending the link to my daughter.... her First Responders training group will be thrilled.

Apr 22 13 07:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BMR-MUA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Lisa Berczel wrote:
Thank you SO much for the work you put into this!

I'm sending the link to my daughter.... her First Responders training group will be thrilled.

Thanks.

I thought this would be of interest to makeup artists as well as first responders and other medical personnel.

Apr 23 13 02:13 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

It is an incredibly useful document - I can't believe how much ground you covered.

And, anyone doing Zombies....

Apr 23 13 02:34 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Lindsey Sharon

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I'm pretty sure that was more informative then anything I learnt in school....

It's was a wonderful read.  I plan to reread it multiple times, and put it in my kit.  Thank you very much for taking the time to put this together!  May I ask, how long did this take you??

Apr 23 13 03:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BMR-MUA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Lynz_Sharon wrote:
I'm pretty sure that was more informative then anything I learnt in school....

It's was a wonderful read.  I plan to reread it multiple times, and put it in my kit.  Thank you very much for taking the time to put this together!  May I ask, how long did this take you??

I started working on the first version of this guide in May 2009; it was only a few pages in length. Now the guide is organized with a stable index so that it can be referenced by others.

I had been working at casualty simulation for a couple of years and had found that there was a need for some type of reference work. Many of the people that I worked with used inappropriate materials and didn't practice any type of sanitation! Some of the things I noticed first hand:

• the bristles of a brush used by one person were nearly worn down to the ferrule; the brush had never been cleaned and looked really nasty with greasepaint and dirt

• plasticine used directly on the skin to create wounds. Fixodent powder (a denture adhesive) was used to powder the plasticine so stage blood would stick to it

• white glue applied directly to the skin to simulate burns

• stick liner, Steins Theatrical Make-up, over a decade old still being used. No sanitation between clients.

• real, not simulated, dirt and gravel applied to skin

Unfortunately there are still many current references on various websites giving directions on how to use these inappropriate materials.

Apr 23 13 03:52 pm Link

Model

-Titania-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Thank you for this! I've passed it on to friends of mine who work with local response teams- I think this will make a world of difference for them!

Apr 23 13 05:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BMR-MUA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Added some more items to the Casualty Simulation website. In addition to the Casualty Simulation Techniques Guide I've added a downloadable Excel spreadsheet for a cas sim makeup kit. This spreadsheet can calculate the amount of product you need based on the number of kits you require. If you have prices from your vendors you can plug those into the spreadsheet and it will give you a total cost.

Added a couple of useful links to the resources page.

Apr 24 13 10:07 am Link

Body Painter

Cat Camp

Tampa, Florida, US

Thank you so much! What a beautifully organized guide to techniques; easy to find topics!

Apr 30 13 10:18 am Link

Makeup Artist

BMR-MUA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The Casualty Simulation Techniques Guide is now available for download from my personal website at:

http://www.barrymrobinson.ca/cassim.html

No more ads, fast downloading. It is the same as before but I will most likely be updating it in the next couple of months. There is also a PowerPoint presentation available as a PDF from my casualty simulation course which you might find interesting Casualty simulation - Basic Colour Theory and Blending. The link is at the very bottom of the page.

Let me know if anything isn't working, the website went live just a few minutes ago.

Jan 03 14 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

eybdoog

New York, New York, US

Good read for photographers and artists also. The part about color theory is spot on as well. Nice work.

Jan 03 14 04:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Dana Spence

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Wonderful and full of useful information!
I am extremely thankful that you put such emphasis on sanitation and safe materials.

Jan 03 14 07:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BMR-MUA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thanks for the kind words.

Something that may appeal to makeup artists and photographers alike is the section on creativity in medical simulation. There is a link to my Fostering Creativity guide and a link to a wonderful presentation on TED by David M. Kelly, How to build your creative confidence. You'll find both at:

http://www.barrymrobinson.ca/medsim.html

Jan 03 14 08:54 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BMR-MUA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Bumping this thread. I've updated this guide with some new info.

Aug 11 15 07:23 pm Link