Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > growing photographer looking for serious critique

Photographer

EP Studioz

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I need bold assertions of my port, suggestions, structural advice, technique. Dont hold back at all i want the best and worst comments. i try to tell a story in my images so that its not just about the model. i do all the editing myself so bash or praise that as well. Please the more comments and the more models and photographers get involved the more i will learn.

thnx

Apr 26 13 07:35 am Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Your photos look extremely amateur.
First I would narrow your port to the best of the best.like 10-15

Then I would step back and really analyze your photos and compare w professionals.
Seriously,study magazines! (Assuming you're going for fashion/beauty)
Read up on proper lighting/cropping/editing.. All the basics .
Then work w better models.. Pay them even.
It takes practice to recognize which photos to actually keep and which to delete, which poses and facial expressions look awkward and not appealing on the models behalf.

Just start w the basics and make sure you can deliver a beautiful yet simple black and white photo that modeling agencies look for b4 you get too crazy

Apr 26 13 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Guss W

Clearwater, Florida, US

I think you have just scratched the surface of what's to be learned.  Create a disciplined learning approach for yourself.  Find some technical How-To books with lighting diagrams and concentrate on taking a straightforward portrait.  Get your subject lighting coordinated to the level of the environmental lighting.  Concurrently with that, be working on Photoshop skills, but don't over-do the effects.

I think you are sensing the potential of a scene, but it needs technical refinement.

Apr 26 13 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

EP Studioz

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Guss W wrote:
I think you have just scratched the surface of what's to be learned.  Create a disciplined learning approach for yourself.  Find some technical How-To books with lighting diagrams and concentrate on taking a straightforward portrait.  Get your subject lighting coordinated to the level of the environmental lighting.  Concurrently with that, be working on Photoshop skills, but don't over-do the effects.

I think you are sensing the potential of a scene, but it needs technical refinement.

Do you have any personal recommendations for how to books?

Apr 29 13 10:05 am Link

Photographer

EP Studioz

Atlanta, Georgia, US

thank you both for your honesty and critique notes. I really appreciate it.

Apr 29 13 10:06 am Link