Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Portfolio Critique

Photographer

ShutterFox

Lancaster, California, US

So, I'm trying to make a cohesive portfolio that flows well. I could use some tips on how I could lay out my portfolio, whih photos to keep and which to lose, etc...

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

~f/d.c

Apr 27 13 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

The Effective Image

Lansing, Michigan, US

Free advice is worth what you pay for it, so here goes...

10 images and you're worried about 'flow'... hmmmm

1. Don't post a bunch of images with a model in the same outfit or pose situation. Pick the best of the litter, dump the rest. Variety counts.

2. Landscape images show up smaller as thumbnails on MM. Makes 'em harder to 'read'. And they don't attract as much attention as portrait orientation images, IMHO. I'd try to post portrait orientation images unless you have a VERY strong image in landscape format.

3. Ya gotta be BRUTAL in selecting images to post. Don't select images solely based on their being your favorites, pick images that appeal to the most folks if you want views, etc. If you are using MM to attract models, use images that models can relate to, not 'headless' images.

4. Don't 'clump' images together based only on their orientation, subject, color, etc.  Visually 'surprise' your visitors by keeping things well mixed up.

Just my opinion.

Apr 27 13 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

ShutterFox

Lancaster, California, US

Many thanks for your opinions! :]
I'll apply some of that to my portfolio.

~f/d.c

Apr 27 13 06:48 pm Link