Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Jets released Tim Tebow

Photographer

OwenImages

Posts: 3826

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, US

Jets released Tim Tebow.  Do you think he will find another team or is he done in the NFL? 

I am happy for him that he is a millionaire at least but would like for him to find another team that will let him play.

There is no need to bash Tebow in this thread, there has been plenty of that elsewhere.  Clearly, you either like him or you don't, there is not a whole lot of in between.  No reason to re-hash old threads...go bump those old threads if you must.

Please just state if you think he will find another team that will let him play...and where?

Apr 29 13 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Posts: 32234

Woodinville, Washington, US

Arena football. But he might spend some time with the Jacksonville Jaguars, as a temporary gimmick to sell some tickets.

I've gone on the record as liking him to a certain degree as a person, mainly when he tried to break up a fight between a linebacker and a lineman in a game with the Raiders. As quickly as he jumped in, he jumped back out, wide-eyed and laughing with a ref about the foolishness of such an act.

In terms of football skills, he's just not cut out for the NFL.

Apr 29 13 09:05 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Posts: 28085

Laguna Beach, California, US

so what are the jets down to now, five qbs?

good riddance. another mediocre talent that was over hyped coming out of college. he should have tried to play tight end. i don't know if he can catch though. as a qb, he's done.

Apr 29 13 09:21 am Link

guide forum

Photographer

Robb Mann

Posts: 10671

Baltimore, Maryland, US

As I heard it the Jets benched him last year when he stopped practicing with the team. Most coaches follow a no-train, no play policy. Tim felt he didn't need to practice, because he would be inspiried while playing to do the right thing.

Tebow is done in most markets. A smaller franchise in the bible belt might take him. Panthers?

Apr 29 13 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Will Snizek Photography

Posts: 1387

Beckley, West Virginia, US

If he states that he's willing to change positions, I think quite a few teams would want him for his athletic ability.  If he insists on being a QB, I don't see anyone signing him.

Apr 29 13 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Posts: 24641

Tampa, Florida, US

Will Snizek wrote:
If he states that he's willing to change positions, I think quite a few teams would want him for his athletic ability.  If he insists on being a QB, I don't see anyone signing him.

Which is what I have said when all the delusional Gator fans throught he was going to be one of the best qbs of all time and redefine the position(must suck tha if anyone is going to do this its
Going to be RG lll or Kapernick)

He is probably better than Blane Gabbert in Jacksonville,but I don't even thinl that owner wants that circus on his team

Apr 29 13 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Select Models

Posts: 36210

Upland, California, US

He'll come back to play the Jets on an opposing team and kick their asses... borat... I'd put money on that... wink

Apr 29 13 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Posts: 24641

Tampa, Florida, US

Select Models wrote:
He'll come back to play the Jets on an opposing team and kick their asses... borat... I'd put money on that... wink

He3 couldn't even beat out Sanchez

Apr 29 13 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Damon Banner

Posts: 85305

Hayward, California, US

Select Models wrote:
He'll come back to play the Jets on an opposing team and kick their asses... borat... I'd put money on that... wink

They team may kick their asses, while Tebow is on the bench, having no effect on the game whatsoever

Apr 29 13 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Posts: 21680

Portland, Oregon, US

Predictions for the Jets:

...  They will still be dysfunctional & mediocre.

...  They will finish the season with a worse record than the NY Giants.

...  No matter who their starting QB is, there will be calls for someone else once they
     start losing.

...  Throughout the year, the Jets will get more media attention than both Superbowl
     teams combined.

...  Tebow will never get a better chance than he did the previous year with the Broncos.

Apr 29 13 10:23 am Link

Photographer

OwenImages

Posts: 3826

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, US

I am a Gator Fan.  I am a Tim Tebow fan.  Do you see me on here bashing the Gator rivals and essentially calling them pieces of shit?  NO!  It is uncalled for.  They are humans.  Why can't some you find a constructive bone in your body?  Why the negativity?  Who the hell pissed in your corn flakes?  Root for your favorite teams, root for your favorite players, lay out the facts on both sides to support your cause...sure, of course.  There is no reason to bash an entire fan base!  That would be like me putting all of the heavy metal music fans with long hair in the exact same group.  It does not make sense.  They are all people and many of them are very different from each other.  Would it make sense for me to call all of them fat, ugly drug users that are stupid?  No, it would not, because that is simply not the case.  What some of you say only goes to speak for your own character.  Think about it.

Some of you did address the question at hand and I thank you.  It would be interesting to see if he would ever be willing to change his position.  There are not too many people that are willing to bash his athletic ability.  What positions would be best?  Maybe if he doesn't get any phone calls to be a QB he will reconsider?  Anyone recall what type of money the Jets and Broncos were paying him?  I have a feeling it would be a lot less if a team picks him now.

Apr 29 13 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Posts: 24641

Tampa, Florida, US

He is athletic enough nd has the ball skills to be an H back/TE,FB hybrid that can do many different things and be a weaon with the ball in his hands,and maybe design a few plays where
Maybe he could throw a few passes a year
Protector in punt formation where he would have the green light to take off and run ever play if
He sees fit(Jets were 3 for 3 on fake punts)

Again this is what I was calling for when he was coming out of school

Apr 29 13 10:55 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Posts: 28085

Laguna Beach, California, US

Select Models wrote:
He'll come back to play the Jets on an opposing team and kick their asses... borat... I'd put money on that... wink

kick their asses with what, a clipboard?

he's either got to accept a role at another position, or start learning o canada.

Apr 29 13 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

Posts: 23411

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Hating Tim Tebow is so 2010-11, 2011-12 and 2012-13.

He's probably not done. A team that sucks with room in the salary cap will pick him up. A premier team with money to burn will not. I am, however, skeptical of the idea that any team would pick him up due to his openness to playing another position due to his athleticism. He has no more potential (from some scout or coaches standpoint) to be any better than even the most mediocre tight end or some such for the simple fact that he hasn't really been playing any other positions at the pro level to be proficient enough to be even a backup.

Apr 29 13 11:34 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Posts: 28085

Laguna Beach, California, US

OwenImages wrote:
I am a Gator Fan.  I am a Tim Tebow fan.  Do you see me on here bashing the Gator rivals and essentially calling them pieces of shit?  NO!  It is uncalled for.  They are humans.  Why can't some you find a constructive bone in your body?  Why the negativity?  Who the hell pissed in your corn flakes?

what thread are you reading?

Kincaid Blackwood wrote:
I am, however, skeptical of the idea that any team would pick him up due to his openness to playing another position due to his athleticism. He has no more potential (from some scout or coaches standpoint) to be any better than even the most mediocre tight end or some such for the simple fact that he hasn't really been playing any other positions at the pro level to be proficient enough to be even a backup.

to finish my point, he would have to compete and win ANY position on a nfl squad. i was just stating that his skill set (although not at weedon or gabbert levels, but close) certainly doesn't bode well for his future as an nfl qb--especially at the starting position. his stubbornness to not even being open to the suggestion is very myopic.

sure, he can probably go play a few years in canada as a qb, but if he wants to stay in the nfl, he'll have to bail on the starting qb dream.

Apr 29 13 11:35 am Link

Photographer

E WALTER LEWIS

Posts: 111

Madeira Beach, Florida, US

I know I am very old school, however, does anyone remember Tom Matte? He was a college QB, but played mainly RB for the BALTIMORE Colts back in the day. One season, Johnny Unitas went down with a season ending injury and so did the backup QB. They installed Matte into the lineup and he ended up taking the Colts into the playoffs.

It seems to me with the roster limits imposed on NFL teams it would only make sense to try that with Tebow. Make him a fullback or h-back and use him as the 3rd QB on the roster. He may not be the most talented QB out there, but I will debate with anyone, that he is more physically gifted and has more skills then the majority of 2nd and 3rd string QB's out there. He does have some playoff experience, beating the Steelers in OT in the playoffs while throwing for over 300 yards.

I thought it was totally classless for the Jets to release Tebow after the draft, instead of beforehand. But then again, the Jets aren't going to be contenders anytime soon so it was probably better for Tebow anyways.

Just my 2 cents.

Apr 29 13 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Will Snizek Photography

Posts: 1387

Beckley, West Virginia, US

E WALTER LEWIS wrote:
I know I am very old school, however, does anyone remember Tom Matte? He was a college QB, but played mainly RB for the BALTIMORE Colts back in the day. One season, Johnny Unitas went down with a season ending injury and so did the backup QB. They installed Matte into the lineup and he ended up taking the Colts into the playoffs.

It seems to me with the roster limits imposed on NFL teams it would only make sense to try that with Tebow. Make him a fullback or h-back and use him as the 3rd QB on the roster. He may not be the most talented QB out there, but I will debate with anyone, that he is more physically gifted and has more skills then the majority of 2nd and 3rd string QB's out there. He does have some playoff experience, beating the Steelers in OT in the playoffs while throwing for over 300 yards.

I thought it was totally classless for the Jets to release Tebow after the draft, instead of beforehand. But then again, the Jets aren't going to be contenders anytime soon so it was probably better for Tebow anyways.

Just my 2 cents.

Tebow didn't exactly treat the Jets with class with his refusal to practice some weeks last season.  The Jets also shopped trades for him right up to the draft and found no interest.  There's nothing classless about what they did.  They were hoping to get a late round pick for him.

Apr 29 13 11:42 am Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Posts: 39820

Peoria, Illinois, US

OwenImages wrote:
I am a Gator Fan.  I am a Tim Tebow fan.  Do you see me on here bashing the Gator rivals and essentially calling them pieces of shit?  NO!  It is uncalled for.  They are humans.  Why can't some you find a constructive bone in your body?  Why the negativity?  Who the hell pissed in your corn flakes?  Root for your favorite teams, root for your favorite players, lay out the facts on both sides to support your cause...sure, of course.  There is no reason to bash an entire fan base!  That would be like me putting all of the heavy metal music fans with long hair in the exact same group.  It does not make sense.  They are all people and many of them are very different from each other.  Would it make sense for me to call all of them fat, ugly drug users that are stupid?  No, it would not, because that is simply not the case.  What some of you say only goes to speak for your own character.  Think about it.

Some of you did address the question at hand and I thank you.  It would be interesting to see if he would ever be willing to change his position.  There are not too many people that are willing to bash his athletic ability.  What positions would be best?  Maybe if he doesn't get any phone calls to be a QB he will reconsider?  Anyone recall what type of money the Jets and Broncos were paying him?  I have a feeling it would be a lot less if a team picks him now.

First off, this isn't college.... he's getting paid now, drastically overpaid considering his abilities and performance, we're talking millions.  When you play in the NFL and you are getting paid you are open to criticism as is the teams in the NFL.  It's expected and it's acceptable, the NFL makes money because of the attention from the bashing and they welcome it.

Secondly, yes... I can bash his athletic ability and be justified.  He signed a big money contract to play QB and he doesn't have the athletic ability or the skills to play the position effectively in the NFL.  That has been borne out on the playing and practice field and is now a reality.

So if you want to engage in a discussion about NFL football grab yourself a beer and wade right in... but if you want to simply support your guy the cheerleader tryouts aren't until August.  smile

Apr 29 13 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Will Snizek Photography

Posts: 1387

Beckley, West Virginia, US

Tebow deserves the criticism.  I thought he was supposed to be a "team guy" but last season he flat out refused to practice several weeks and refused to play in one game.

Apr 29 13 11:46 am Link

Photographer

P O T T S

Posts: 5381

Lake City, Florida, US

Robb Mann wrote:
As I heard it the Jets benched him last year when he stopped practicing with the team. Most coaches follow a no-train, no play policy. Tim felt he didn't need to practice, because he would be inspiried while playing to do the right thing.

Tebow is done in most markets. A smaller franchise in the bible belt might take him. Panthers?

Any thing to support that? They only time I heard he stopped practicing was for a few weeks when he had broken ribs. Sounds like something someone made up. Like him or not, he generally stays in better playing shape and works harder than about anyone in the NFL. I find it hard to believe he would not practice unless under doctors orders.

Apr 29 13 11:53 am Link

Photographer

P O T T S

Posts: 5381

Lake City, Florida, US

Will Snizek wrote:
Tebow deserves the criticism.  I thought he was supposed to be a "team guy" but last season he flat out refused to practice several weeks and refused to play in one game.

This must be the story you are referring to. He never refused to play.

http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2 … bow27.html

Apr 29 13 11:55 am Link

Photographer

P O T T S

Posts: 5381

Lake City, Florida, US

Will Snizek wrote:
Tebow didn't exactly treat the Jets with class with his refusal to practice some weeks last season.  The Jets also shopped trades for him right up to the draft and found no interest.  There's nothing classless about what they did.  They were hoping to get a late round pick for him.

When did that happen? Him refusing to practice?

Apr 29 13 11:59 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Posts: 22615

Salem, Oregon, US

manning didn't take the broncos any farther than Tebow did. i don't get the hate. unless it's based on religion. but i'm not religious and i don't hate him. being enthusiastic isn't a crime.

is absolutely the only thing that matters at the quarterback position passing accuracy?

Apr 29 13 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Posts: 39820

Peoria, Illinois, US

ontherocks wrote:
manning didn't take the broncos any farther than Tebow did. i don't get the hate. unless it's based on religion. but i'm not religious and i don't hate him. being enthusiastic isn't a crime.

is absolutely the only thing that matters at the quarterback position passing accuracy?

So you are saying the Broncos aren't a better football team and don't have a better chance each and every year with Manning instead of Tebow at QB?

Because that was what the decision to go with Manning was based on, not religion, not anything else.  Tebow brought people to the seats and makes less money than Manning, so ownership would be much better off with Tebow than Manning if they both give them an equal chance of winning.  They don't, Manning is the guy.

Apr 29 13 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Posts: 24641

Tampa, Florida, US

ontherocks wrote:
manning didn't take the broncos any farther than Tebow did. i don't get the hate. unless it's based on religion. but i'm not religious and i don't hate him. being enthusiastic isn't a crime.

is absolutely the only thing that matters at the quarterback position passing accuracy?

Fail
Tebow also didn't watch an opposing team's reciever get 5 yards behind the entire defense with
Under 30 seconds to play and with no time outs left needing a TD to tie in his game

Apr 29 13 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Posts: 28085

Laguna Beach, California, US

ontherocks wrote:
manning didn't take the broncos any farther than Tebow did. i don't get the hate. unless it's based on religion. but i'm not religious and i don't hate him. being enthusiastic isn't a crime.

is absolutely the only thing that matters at the quarterback position passing accuracy?

i don't want this to seem like an insult, but do you follow football that much? it seems you don't, that's why i'm asking.

Apr 29 13 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Posts: 22615

Salem, Oregon, US

i just don't see how tebow performed so horribly that he deserved to basically be kicked out of the NFL. sports is entertainment. tebow was entertaining and found a way to win games in spite of his technical flaws.

everybody thought the broncos would go to the super bowl with manning but they didn't. maybe next year.

K E E L I N G wrote:
So you are saying the Broncos aren't a better football team and don't have a better chance each and every year with Manning instead of Tebow at QB?

Apr 29 13 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Posts: 22615

Salem, Oregon, US

i remember watching elway play when i was at stanford. i followed the 49ers pretty closely back in the Montana days (the whole 49ers thing went downhill when they put debartolo in jail). but haven't followed the sport that closely since.

tebow won some games and gave the fans something to cheer about. some excitement. what's so horrible about that? isn't that what you pay your money for when you go to see a game?

GK photo wrote:
i don't want this to seem like an insult, but do you follow football that much? it seems you don't, that's why i'm asking.

Apr 29 13 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Posts: 28085

Laguna Beach, California, US

ontherocks wrote:
tebow won some games and gave the fans something to cheer about. some excitement. what's so horrible about that? isn't that what you pay your money for when you go to see a game?

this isn't the arena league. at the end of the day, the idea is to win. to win, you need to put the best athletes on the field so that you have a chance.

if tebow couldn't beat out sanchez for a job, then he really isn't able to compete for a job on that team. that's called "talent assessment". the jets made a bad gamble, and it backfired.

the "league" isn't out to get tebow. if he could play, believe me, some team would ride the hype all the way to the bank, as would the guys at 345 park ave. plenty of great college talent never make it in the bigs. it just happens.

until denver does something worthwhile in the playoffs, they will have the 7 or 8 game stretch of tebow times a couple years ago to talk about. the jets fans? hardly...

tebow is on waivers for 24 hours. wait and see if anyone claims him. watch the raiders pick him up. lol

Apr 29 13 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Posts: 24641

Tampa, Florida, US

GK photo wrote:

this isn't the arena league. at the end of the day, the idea is to win. to win, you need to put the best athletes on the field so that you have a chance.

if tebow couldn't beat out sanchez for a job, then he really isn't able to compete for a job on that team. that's called "talent assessment". the jets made a bad gamble, and it backfired.

the "league" isn't out to get tebow. if he could play, believe me, some team would ride the hype all the way to the bank, as would the guys at 345 park ave. plenty of great college talent never make it in the bigs. it just happens.

until denver does something worthwhile in the playoffs, they will have the 7 or 8 game stretch of tebow times a couple years ago to talk about. the jets fans? hardly...

tebow is on waivers for 24 hours. wait and see if anyone claims him. watch the raiders pick him up. lol

No,Jerruh will (this afte signing his boy toy for a back breaking 100 milion)just
To have an instant huge spike in jersey sales frm the Gator nation..

Apr 29 13 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Posts: 28085

Laguna Beach, California, US

Chris Rifkin wrote:
No,Jerruh will (this afte signing his boy toy for a back breaking 100 milion)just
To have an instant huge spike in jersey sales frm the Gator nation..

that could be too. and post al, the raiders may just pass (no pun intended). i wonder where the cowgirls are in the waiver order.

Apr 29 13 12:37 pm Link

guide forum

Photographer

Justin

Posts: 21908

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

The lad's got a lot of spirit and verve. There are times when he can make up for his lack of native quarterbacking skills with spirit and verve. But it's not a long-term strategy.

I don't wish him bad. He's just not going to be the marquee player that he may have hoped for.

(Speaking as a Colorado observer, the difference between Peyton and Tebow is that Tebow had to play out of his mind to get to the same place that Peyton can get to on a bad day.)

Apr 29 13 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Posts: 28085

Laguna Beach, California, US

Justin wrote:
(Speaking as a Colorado observer, the difference between Peyton and Tebow is that Tebow had to play out of his mind to get to the same place that Peyton can get to on a bad day.)

half those games that they won with tebow at qb were in spite of his play. the defense at that time was winning those games for him. they kept him in them long enough to give him a chance.

it was like three and a half quarters of ineptitude, then one drive at the end of a game to win it. i think the chicago game was the only one where he played somewhat good the entire game.

coaches can't sit by and watch a guy consistently throw the ball at receivers feet, or ten yards over their heads. this is all silly, and thankfully all this tebow talk will be done with by the kickoff of this season.

when pittsburgh kept blowing scoring opportunities in that playoff game, i knew the same shit was going to happen. and when ne went up on them by three tds, it was over. he was not coming back in that one. that effectively ended tebow time.

Apr 29 13 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

Posts: 22651

San Diego, California, US

Maybe the Chargers will pick him up - they're looking for a part-time running back and that suits Tebow better than being a full-time QB.

Apr 29 13 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Posts: 38589

Portland, Oregon, US

Yay, part one of my evil plan accomplished...

Now, we just need Dallas to hire him and make him their starting QB


*muahahahahhaaaa*

Apr 29 13 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Posts: 63192

Danbury, Connecticut, US

DougBPhoto wrote:
Yay, part one of my evil plan accomplished...

Now, we just need Dallas to hire him and make him their starting QB


*muahahahahhaaaa*

Can we start a petition?  That would be awesome.

Apr 29 13 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

Posts: 23411

Atlanta, Georgia, US

ontherocks wrote:
manning didn't take the broncos any farther than Tebow did. i don't get the hate. unless it's based on religion. but i'm not religious and i don't hate him. being enthusiastic isn't a crime.

is absolutely the only thing that matters at the quarterback position passing accuracy?

Tebow, at his best of   any point of his career, isn't half the quarterback that 37-year-old, recovering-from-a-major-surgery Manning is right now.

Apr 29 13 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Posts: 32234

Woodinville, Washington, US

E WALTER LEWIS wrote:
It seems to me with the roster limits imposed on NFL teams it would only make sense to try that with Tebow. Make him a fullback or h-back and use him as the 3rd QB on the roster.

He'd be one of the most effective RBs on the option pass, but as a running back of any sort in any other respect he'd be one of the worst in the league.

As a QB, he's a heck of a runner. As a running back, he's a heck of a QB. But at the NFL level, he's just not that good at what he's supposed to be doing.

Apr 29 13 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Posts: 32234

Woodinville, Washington, US

GK photo wrote:

half those games that they won with tebow at qb were in spite of his play. the defense at that time was winning those games for him. they kept him in them long enough to give him a chance.

it was like three and a half quarters of ineptitude, then one drive at the end of a game to win it. i think the chicago game was the only one where he played somewhat good the entire game.

BINGO.

Apr 29 13 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Posts: 32234

Woodinville, Washington, US

GK photo wrote:
the raiders may just pass

The Raiders aren't that desperate.

Apr 29 13 03:20 pm Link