Forums > Critique > Choose the severity of your critique

Photographer

S K E L E T O N K E Y

Posts: 2110

Louth, England, United Kingdom

Which-ever way I will be fair and try to give you my best advice on improving your skill.

So choose the severity of your critique;

Blow smoke up your ass and tell you what you want to hear?

or

Take the time to assess your body of work and give you the best advice on improvement (if you need it).

Or anyhting inbetween tongue

[edit] Back now, for a bit[/edit]

Apr 30 13 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Deletethisaccount

Posts: 79

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

I'm in! I just added a bunch of pictures and sure need to narrow it down but don't know what to keep in my port (ditch the old? keep 1-2 of each shoots?).

Thanks!

Apr 30 13 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Posts: 4344

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Sure, take your time, thanks.

Apr 30 13 01:57 pm Link

Model

Danielle Reid

Posts: 4384

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Let me know what you think. I keep asking for critiques but get ignored haha

Added some new photos, tear me apart if needed!

Apr 30 13 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

I Ference Photography

Posts: 1152

Rochester, New York, US

Please take the time to assess my port and give me as many pointers as you can for improvement!

Apr 30 13 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Tirado Photography

Posts: 4252

New York, New York, US

Take a look and let me know. As severe as you wish.

Apr 30 13 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

L Raye

Posts: 5028

Petaluma, California, US

Take your time!

Apr 30 13 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

S K E L E T O N K E Y

Posts: 2110

Louth, England, United Kingdom

Gabrielle Ann Cyr wrote:
I'm in! I just added a bunch of pictures and sure need to narrow it down but don't know what to keep in my port (ditch the old? keep 1-2 of each shoots?).

Thanks!

I like the style you are going for, but you still have allot of skills to polish yet.
Shooting in natural light can be more diverse, by changing the settings to stop some of your images from looking flat, or over exposed.

I would say these are your strongest images:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32218222
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32483257
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32481181
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32218452
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32480615

Apr 30 13 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

S K E L E T O N K E Y

Posts: 2110

Louth, England, United Kingdom

Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:
Sure, take your time, thanks.

I think you've cut your port back quite a bit since the last time I saw it, and I really like it.

There are definetely some wall hangers in there that I love, but there are a few that don't really speak to me that much.

Such as: (18+)

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27403454
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/25582904
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/28623297

They don't seem as well excecuted or interested to me, i'm not too sure how to explain it. I think it's a mix of the concept, framing and tones that throw me off a bit.

Alltogether your work is really quite beautiful and inspires me, as I love that sort of vivid dream style. smile

Apr 30 13 03:05 pm Link

Model

Jordan LW

Posts: 11

Woodland, California, US

I'm in! Love criticism!

Apr 30 13 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Maria Panina

Posts: 139

New York, New York, US

I'm all for improvement. Please, have a look

Apr 30 13 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Dakota Maverick Photo

Posts: 91

Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada

Would definitely love the latter, please!

Apr 30 13 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

Harold Rose

Posts: 2925

Calhoun, Georgia, US

S K E L E T O N  K E Y wrote:
Which-ever way I will be fair and try to give you my best advice on improving your skill.

So choose the severity of your critique;

Blow smoke up your ass and tell you what you want to hear?
or Take the time to assess your body of work and give you the best advice on improvement (if you need it).

Or anyhting inbetween tongue

You need a couple more years of experience before giving others  crit.

Apr 30 13 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Posts: 4344

Asheville, North Carolina, US

S K E L E T O N  K E Y wrote:

I think you've cut your port back quite a bit since the last time I saw it, and I really like it.

There are definetely some wall hangers in there that I love, but there are a few that don't really speak to me that much.

Such as: (18+)

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27403454
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/25582904
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/28623297

They don't seem as well excecuted or interested to me, i'm not too sure how to explain it. I think it's a mix of the concept, framing and tones that throw me off a bit.

Alltogether your work is really quite beautiful and inspires me, as I love that sort of vivid dream style. smile

My thanks, and it's quite a perceptive take on my work. That last image of the three you linked is an earlier version, and when I prepared it for a show last year I did some fairly significant work on the tones - and I was glad I did. I probably should take those out in an update.

Thanks again, and best of luck.

Apr 30 13 03:49 pm Link

Model

T A Y L O R

Posts: 2977

Austin, Texas, US

Harold Rose wrote:
You need a couple more years of experience before giving others  crit.

Does that mean he can just go into his profile and change his "experience years" to 55 years? roll

Apr 30 13 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Prusso

Posts: 19

Oceanside, California, US

i'm in! please let me know what i can do better.

Apr 30 13 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

New Image Creations

Posts: 414

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Hit me!

Apr 30 13 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Black Tux Photography

Posts: 26

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Harsh critique please

Apr 30 13 04:58 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Posts: 3187

Hopkinsville, Kentucky, US

S K E L E T O N  K E Y wrote:
Take the time to assess your body of work and give you the best advice on improvement (if you need it).

tongue

Thank you for it.
Jen

Apr 30 13 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Batz Photography

Posts: 35

Los Angeles, California, US

In between since I'm new, haha.

Apr 30 13 06:04 pm Link

Model

Lela Jesse

Posts: 1148

Arcata, California, US

Please send out your most helpful, constructive serious critique! I'd love some help! Throw in some negatives too, anything I can improve on!

Apr 30 13 06:09 pm Link

Model

Rachael Bueckert

Posts: 1121

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

I'd like you to blow a lot of smoke up my ass.

Like, if no one knew what was happening they would think my bowels spontaneously combusted.

Apr 30 13 06:11 pm Link

Model

_BlossomFairy_

Posts: 155

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

I'll go for whatever critique as long as it can helps me improve since I am new.

Thanks,
-Amy

Apr 30 13 06:52 pm Link

Model

Celine Sophia

Posts: 503

Santa Barbara, California, US

Serious critique please, where do I go from here?

Apr 30 13 09:28 pm Link

Model

W I L L O W

Posts: 343

Portland, Oregon, US

I like severe, friend.

Apr 30 13 11:32 pm Link

Model

Fergy

Posts: 22387

Fenton, Michigan, US

Moderator Warning!

Harold Rose wrote:
You need a couple more years of experience before giving others  crit.

If you don't like the critique thread, don't post in it.

Apr 30 13 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Posts: 27259

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I will take a 3 Jalapeno Pepper Critique Senor

Apr 30 13 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Posts: 7778

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

S K E L E T O N  K E Y wrote:
Take the time to assess your body of work and give you the best advice on improvement (if you need it).

May 01 13 12:04 am Link

Model

Daniel Pierce

Posts: 629

Burbank, California, US

Bruise me.

May 01 13 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Odin Photo

Posts: 1459

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Harold Rose wrote:
You need a couple more years of experience before giving others  crit.

No, they really don't. In fact someone with no technical experience at all can give a critique. In art, everyone but the creator, is a viewer. It doesn't matter if they are experienced or not. They'll have an opinion and for them, they will be correct.

Fictitious conversation I made up at a world class restaurant;

"How do you like your food?" 
"It's terrible."
"Have you even taken a remedial cooking course in high school you cretin? Our head chef is world renowned. Your inexperienced palate probably doesn't even "get it".
"Oh I get it alright. I got it right in my mouth and now I'm sad about it. I've been eating all my life, so I do have some experience, and this is pretty much garbage in my opinion. You asked me how >I< like my food. Not how it compares to the standards of the IHTCC aka, International Hoity Toity Chef's Conglomerate." 

They are offering a critique, based on >their< experience, natural propensities and views towards art. That is obvious. Anyone who doesn't get that has a bit of something wrong upstairs and I'm not talking about an air conditioning problem. And I'm pretty sure they've been looking at art their entire life, whether casually or critically and have used that vast experience to form their opinions. They are already capable of giving a critique, regardless of their years as a photographer.

I am certain that there are extremely experienced and renowned artists in their field that would have polar opposite critiques on any given art work, and because of that, the level of experience really becomes meaningless in a critique and it all gets boiled down to subjective opinion. If two world renowned artists can disagree on the intrinsic artistic value of a piece, then there is no consistency brought about by experience and it loses some of it's meaning being critiqued by someone experienced.   

Skeletonkey. Go ahead and take your time. Whether you are kind or harsh, I will just realize that you are one of a multitude of possible opinions out there and will be interested either way.

Good luck to you. Much success in work and life. smile

May 01 13 12:45 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Posts: 2600

Torrance, California, US

Give it to me hard and straight.  I'd like to know.

May 01 13 01:25 am Link

Photographer

S K E L E T O N K E Y

Posts: 2110

Louth, England, United Kingdom

Danielle Reid wrote:
Let me know what you think. I keep asking for critiques but get ignored haha

Added some new photos, tear me apart if needed!

I think it's good that you are wanting to expand into lots of different genres, which will hopefully stop you getting typecasted into amateur glam/t&a work.
Which unfortunetely is what most of your portfolio consists of.

Personally I don't like most glamour/soft porn images so take my thoughts as you will.

You need to be very carefull of your body and face, some of your posing makes your body look even shorter and stalker:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32439797

Also with your body shape, shooting face-on whilst nude isn't doing you any favours what so ever. Learn how to light yourself, being more aware of how your body looks whilst shooting which will save time in directions.
Some of your nude images would make me think you have saggy breasts, but learning your shape and light control could change that.

Alltogether your current portfolio doesn't appeal to me too much.

I think you can do better, but not exceedingly. If it's something you enjoy doing and want to expand your genres, that's fine and have fun smile but in all fairness I wouldn't think of it as a full time career.

May 01 13 03:20 am Link

Photographer

Seismic Images

Posts: 525

Morisset, New South Wales, Australia

Take your time.Thanks.

May 01 13 03:51 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

Posts: 2393

Los Angeles, California, US

Sure, go ahead and assess.

May 01 13 06:10 am Link

Photographer

DigitalRayen

Posts: 19

Augusta, Georgia, US

I'll take an assessment.

May 01 13 06:41 am Link

Model

Danielle Reid

Posts: 4384

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

S K E L E T O N  K E Y wrote:

I think it's good that you are wanting to expand into lots of different genres, which will hopefully stop you getting typecasted into amateur glam/t&a work.
Which unfortunetely is what most of your portfolio consists of.

Personally I don't like most glamour/soft porn images so take my thoughts as you will.

You need to be very carefull of your body and face, some of your posing makes your body look even shorter and stalker:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32439797

Also with your body shape, shooting face-on whilst nude isn't doing you any favours what so ever. Learn how to light yourself, being more aware of how your body looks whilst shooting which will save time in directions.
Some of your nude images would make me think you have saggy breasts, but learning your shape and light control could change that.

Alltogether your current portfolio doesn't appeal to me too much.

I think you can do better, but not exceedingly. If it's something you enjoy doing and want to expand your genres, that's fine and have fun smile but in all fairness I wouldn't think of it as a full time career.

Maybe I should have asked for you to blow smoke up my ass hmm. Now I feel like deleting everything in my port. And my boobs ARE saggy I'm saving up for a breast augmentation. Thanks anyway. I guess I could always just stick with being behind the camera.

May 01 13 07:22 am Link

Photographer

The Dark Side

Posts: 309

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Hurt me!

May 01 13 07:28 am Link

Photographer

Josh Evans Photography

Posts: 14

Boothwyn, Pennsylvania, US

stab away

May 01 13 07:36 am Link

Model

Jahanara

Posts: 124

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Go for it!

May 01 13 10:06 am Link

Model

Ceci L

Posts: 235

Villena, Valencia, Spain

Let's see

May 01 13 10:15 am Link