Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Do you believe in reincarnation/past lives?

Model

EvaScarlet

Los Angeles, California, US

I will come back and write more later, but I wanted to pose the question...

P.S. Here is an interesting link dealing with personal stories about the subject:
http://www.beyondreligion.com/su_person … -index.htm

Apr 30 13 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

EvaScarlet wrote:

really? like how much later? smile

and no, i personally don't.

Apr 30 13 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Becks

Rochester, New York, US

I'm more or less agnostic, I do pray to God or at least something like it on occassion, and I'm far from what you would consider religious, but I don't believe in reincarnation at all. Maybe that's a hold out from being raised in Christianity, I don't know. But I've always kinda felt like the whole concept of reincarnation made life pointless-- who wants to keep starting over from ground zero, on a never ending loop? At least with the concept of an 'afterlife' there's the expectation that you take your memories and experiences with you along for the ride, and you're just you, in a new place, not you plus three hundred versions of you that came before, forced to live out life over and over with no respite. *shrug*

Apr 30 13 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Little Photography

Wilmington, Delaware, US

It is an interesting topic. I'm very skeptical of all paranormal stuff but I enjoy learning about it and keeping an open mind.

I have seen several TV shows on the H2 Network dealing with very young children having memories of past lives. As parents research the past lives they find amazing evidence that cannot be ignored. It is very interesting stuff but at the end of the day I have a hard time accepting it. Coming back to do it again just seems wasteful.

Apr 30 13 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Tim Little Photography wrote:
I have seen several TV shows on the H2 Network dealing with very young children having memories of past lives. As parents research the past lives they find amazing evidence that cannot be ignored. It is very interesting stuff but at the end of the day I have a hard time accepting it. Coming back to do it again just seems wasteful.

amazing how most of these folks were egyptian, mesopotamian or roman royalty, isn't it? tongue

none of them were the common serf who was killed by the plague. smile

Apr 30 13 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Tirado Photography

New York, New York, US

EvaScarlet wrote:

GK photo wrote:
really? like how much later? smile

and how will we know it is you? Sorry couldn't resist. smile

Apr 30 13 10:43 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Barker

Houston, Arkansas, US

It is an interesting topic. I'm very skeptical of all paranormal stuff but I enjoy learning about it and keeping an open mind.

Unless you are to come back until you get it right, whatever IT is.

Apr 30 13 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Paul Tirado Photography wrote:
and how will we know it is you? Sorry couldn't resist. smile

no shit. what's the code word?

Apr 30 13 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Little Photography

Wilmington, Delaware, US

GK photo wrote:

amazing how most of these folks were egyptian, mesopotamian or roman royalty, isn't it? tongue

Actually not a single child was Egyptian, Mesopotamian or Roman Royalty. Far from it actually. I think you may be confusing a bogus "reading" from a so called Medium telling a person they were so and so in a past life. The events I am speaking of a something totally different and serious minded researchers are becoming involved in their investigation.

For example. One child, a boy about 4 years old. Has memories of being "big like daddy" and being married and having a baby daughter. OK, at this point it could be something the child is just making up for fun. But later on he remembers his name was, lets say Joe Blow because I don't remember. He says his daughter is named Wendy and his wife is Jane Blow. A few days later he remembers his house was in Waco, Texas and he worked as mechanic for semi trucks, The thing is he has all kinds of details. Like the model numbers of trucks he worked on and things about his wife and daughter. Then he remembers his death. He wouldn't be "born again" if he had not died. He describes the details of a heart attack that no 4 yo would know. He remembered the ambulance people and the name of the hospital.

Well mom does some digging and finds that all of the information checks out. So they fly to Waco and the kid, who has never been there. Tells them how to get everywhere. He knows the town and he is 4! never been there.

So no Romans or kings or other bullshit. Open your mind and you will find that there are events that are captivating.

Apr 30 13 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Actually not a single child was Egyptian, Mesopotamian or Roman Royalty. Far from it actually. I think you may be confusing a bogus "reading" from a so called Medium telling a person they were so and so in a past life. The events I am speaking of a something totally different and serious minded researchers are becoming involved in their investigation.

For example. One child, a boy about 4 years old. Has memories of being "big like daddy" and being married and having a baby daughter. OK, at this point it could be something the child is just making up for fun. But later on he remembers his name was, lets say Joe Blow because I don't remember. He says his daughter is named Wendy and his wife is Jane Blow. A few days later he remembers his house was in Waco, Texas and he worked as mechanic for semi trucks, The thing is he has all kinds of details. Like the model numbers of trucks he worked on and things about his wife and daughter. Then he remembers his death. He wouldn't be "born again" if he had not died. He describes the details of a heart attack that no 4 yo would know. He remembered the ambulance people and the name of the hospital.

Well mom does some digging and finds that all of the information checks out. So they fly to Waco and the kid, who has never been there. Tells them how to get everywhere. He knows the town and he is 4! never been there.

So no Romans or kings or other bullshit. Open your mind and you will find that there are events that are captivating.

http://www.deathisanillusion.com/page.pl?id=2&cid=3

you're right, there are always these fables/tales as well.

what eludes me (and true believers of reincarnation) is, why would they be remembering these past lives? the essence of reincarnation in hindu religions is that it's the clean chalkboard you get to work out your karma. it would do you no good to know the sins of your past lives. the idea being you are not perfect until you are perfectly able to attain perfection.

being able to draw conclusions from past lives doesn't fit that paradigm. and christians (or any of the abrahamic religions) would consider any such stuff as demonic.

i can't deny that someone would think they have tapped into a past existence, but i can state emphatically that i have never seen any evidence of it, either in me, or anyone i have personally come across. but that's purely anecdotal, much like these stories.

ymmv, of course.

Apr 30 13 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

I'd like to see a study done with rigorous scientific protocols, by broadly respected experimenters.  When one is done, and the researchers conclude that the existence of past lives is the likeliest explanation, I'll start leaning toward believing.  Of course, I'd like to see that study replicated by other researchers, as well.

The James Randi Educational Foundation has a standing offer of $1 million to anyone who can prove anything paranormal.  There is a test, and a pre-test.  To date, no one has even passed the pre-test.

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

So, I remain skeptically awaiting persuasive evidence.

Ps. - I was going to post a joke:  "I used to believe in reincarnation, but that was in a previous life."  But I decided against it.  smile

May 01 13 08:09 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

I watched "The Reincarnation of Peter Proud" (which sounds like a dirty movie but isn't), but it turned out just to be enjoyable fiction.

I'm open to believing in it (or anything else) if there's evidence beyond retold anecdotes, but I haven't seen it.

May 01 13 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Kezins Photography

Beckley, West Virginia, US

I believe that either reincarnation exists or memories are somehow passed through DNA.  Not really sure which one of those scenarios exists, but I'm positive one of them does.

May 01 13 08:17 am Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

I would have to say no to this.

Simply, and just my own opinion but if we are all reincarnated then doesn't that mean there's a finite amount of humans at any given time. Yet new people are born every day. So where are those "new" souls coming from?

If we're reincarnated shouldn't those births be the recycled people who have died?

May 01 13 08:19 am Link

Retoucher

BorderlineBunny

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:

Simply, and just my own opinion but if we are all reincarnated then doesn't that mean there's a finite amount of humans at any given time. Yet new people are born every day. So where are those "new" souls coming from?

If we're reincarnated shouldn't those births be the recycled people who have died?

That's actually the general idea.

May 01 13 08:31 am Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

No

May 01 13 08:32 am Link

Retoucher

BorderlineBunny

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

I'm currently surfing on another wave of "Who the hell knows?" right now. I get like this from time to time.

I've never been opposed to the idea of Reincarnation. It's a lovely idea if it is true. Almost lovelier than the concept of heaven (which sometimes seems a little not-so-great when I think about it too much).

A part of me leans toward it and hopes that reincarnation is the case.

May 01 13 08:34 am Link

Photographer

Kezins Photography

Beckley, West Virginia, US

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:

The Mormons believe that women in heaven are permanently pregnant and they supply the new souls.  I guess there is a lot of weird ideas about this going around.  If every last person was reincarnated, the math wouldn't really add up if you think about it, especially with how massive the population is now.

May 01 13 08:36 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I'm Irish, so of course I do  .  .  .  but then, I also believe in leprechauns and Santa  .  .  . 

SOS

May 01 13 08:40 am Link

Model

Anastacia Nikolaeva

Brooklyn, New York, US

Yes. My spiritual views fall in line with yogic philosophy. I believe in the cycle of karma and reincarnation.

May 01 13 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Gulag

Atlanta, Georgia, US

If you want to get really deep in critical thinking on the subject, here is a great free Yale course Phil 176 DEATH
video/audio:

http://oyc.yale.edu/philosophy/phil-176

course description:

About the Course

There is one thing I can be sure of: I am going to die. But what am I to make of that fact? This course will examine a number of issues that arise once we begin to reflect on our mortality. The possibility that death may not actually be the end is considered. Are we, in some sense, immortal? Would immortality be desirable? Also a clearer notion of what it is to die is examined. What does it mean to say that a person has died? What kind of fact is that? And, finally, different attitudes to death are evaluated. Is death an evil? How? Why? Is suicide morally permissible? Is it rational? How should the knowledge that I am going to die affect the way I live my life?

May 01 13 08:51 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:

BorderlineBunny wrote:
That's actually the general idea.

If there was a human bottleneck of a few thousand at a given time in our past history, and we're at billions now, how do new lives get generated?

May 01 13 10:10 am Link

Model

Lisa Andresen

Abingdon, Illinois, US

Nope I believe when you go you go that's it. You only get one life in this body.

May 01 13 10:21 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Do you believe in reincarnation/past lives?

No.

May 01 13 10:29 am Link

Model

Babalon Salome

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Yes, I do.

May 01 13 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Lisa Andresen wrote:
Nope I believe when you go you go that's it. You only get one life in this body.

I think reincarnation provides a second body......coming back in this body would be zombie related.

May 01 13 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Not yes.....not no.
I will say this topic pauses me for thought.....sometimes I really wonder.

May 01 13 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Jamtron Studio

Venice, Florida, US

Definitely. Don't believe in much else, though.

May 01 13 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Photography of Eddie

Antioch, California, US

1000% Yes!  I have no doubt...Through life experiences and only through experiences in this lifetime can I say this. Not all things are meant to be proven by science but through experiences only...Those that know, KNOW...Those that really seek to and are ready to know, will hear the call and see what direction to take to find the answer but trying too hard will make it harder...Those that don't believe at all might never know but will know in a future lifetime it's inevitable, energy is forever in all forms and levels of exsistence,Imho...No direspect to anyone's beliefs,that's just the best short way I could describe my reason for my answer.  Best wishes to all!

May 01 13 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

no

May 01 13 04:52 pm Link

Model

EvaScarlet

My initial response was always no. Never thought about it too much. At one point, I had a roommate who was very interested in past life regression, etc, and I read a number of his books. The stuff that I've read (books and internet), is fascinating to ponder...and, if true, is definitely cause to ponder.

Is it 100%, beyond a shadow of a doubt, utterly and verifiably true? Of course we don't know that. Is it 100%, beyond a shadow of a doubt, utterly and verifiably not true? Well, we don't know that either...

I think it's a fascinating thing to read about and study, and if it were true, would definitely help to explain a lot of things...

May 01 13 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Edge of the Moon

New York, New York, US

No.  This is all we get.
We all want to live forever in one way or another.  I think this is due to the preservation instinct.  Those that don't have this strong instinct have died off.
This is why we want to believe in reincarnation and the afterlife.  Neither of which I believe to be true.

May 01 13 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

No.

Heard too many claims of past lives as nobility or warriors under famous generals, no claims of having been malnourished, short-lived shovelers of pig-shit.

May 01 13 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

I think that after-life ideas arise in large part because we have a hard time imagining ourselves dead.

May 01 13 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Guss W

Clearwater, Florida, US

Maybe Jimmy Hoffa or Judge Crater could come back and tell us who killed them and where their bodies might be found.

May 01 13 11:36 pm Link

Model

EvaScarlet

Orca Bay Images wrote:
No.

Heard too many claims of past lives as nobility or warriors under famous generals, no claims of having been malnourished, short-lived shovelers of pig-shit.

From my OP:

May 01 13 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

EvaScarlet wrote:

From my OP:

The new fad: After everyone wore out the "I was a courtesan in the court of Louis XIV" routine, now there's an attempt at credibility by going the other direction.

What would be interesting would be for some of these claimants to speak fluently in the languages of their previous lives. And I mean, verifiable by linguists knowledgable in the historical dialects.

May 02 13 12:03 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

GK photo wrote:

That's 'cos your common serf wasn't asked what he thought about the possibility of life after death or life before birth. smile hence there is no record of what he orshe may have thought.

Just like today the actions and meditations of those rich and famous in our society are more likely to be recorded in the annals of history than yours or mine GK.

No wait.... there's this Internet thingy now where nothing goes away... ever. smile

May 02 13 12:11 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

I don't, no.  And I don't believe that after a person dies, some part of them lives on, either.

May 02 13 02:38 am Link