Forums > Model Colloquy > every mua has made me look horrible!!

Model

GingerMuse

STUDIO CITY, California, US

Lynz_Sharon wrote:
Please pardon the long wall of text!

The MUA is doing the look that will be best for the shoot.  It may be a completely different look than what you are used to, it may not be as strong or too strong for your taste.  The lighting may require that we make everything darker so it doesn't get washed out and that most likely will not look good in person, but will look amazing on film!  They aren't paying attention to what you want to look like as much as they will be to what will look best in the shoot, with your facial features and with your outfit, as well as the concept and any references for the shoot.  Any good photographer will point out makeup that isn't flattering or would ruin the shoot.  And a model looking horrible will ruin ANY shoot.

As a model, you need to trust your artist and be open to new ideas and looks you may not have tried before.  If you can't, then that isn't our fault.  If you have a concern, talk to the artist.  Ask them, nicely, why they did something a particular way and hopefully they are nice enough to explain.  People ask me all the time why I darken their eyebrows (often the lighting and flash washes eyebrows out and can make them look sparse)

This is an insulting post and I hope no artist you have worked with or will ever work with reads it.  The artists working on you would not risk their reputations just to tick off someone they most likely have no previous knowledge of.  We work way too hard for that kind of shit.  A lot of artists need those photos just as much as the model, and we need the references even more. 

The common denominator appears to be you.  I suggest taking a deep breath at these shoots and waiting to see the final images before passing judgement.  If you find you can't, then I suggest learning how to do your own makeup.  Keep in mind, the makeup you do to go outside for the day most likely will not photograph properly.  That's why the photographer brought in a MUA.

There are somethings that can cause a less experienced MUA to do makeup that isn't up to par.  Do you show up with your face clean?  No traces of eyeliner and mascara?  Moisturized?  Exfoliated?  This counts for your lips as well.  Do you drink enough water and eat properly?  Often we don't have time to do all the skin prep we would like to and if the model has not taken proper care of their skin it can react poorly with certain products.  Newer MUAs may not have the necessary products in their kit to fix these issues.

We trust the model to show up with their skin well taken care of.  It's amazing how many models seem to think that we can do anything and everything in 30 minutes or less.

Hopefully you have better experiences in your future shoots.  Best of luck!

I wanted to add that I checked out your portfolio and I think you look beautiful!  Both the makeup and your natural features.

+1
completely agree with the above statement.
A makeup artist is never going to intentionally try to make you look bad. They are either getting paid and want to do a good job so they get reoccurring work or they are doing it on a trade basis and want good photos for their book which will in turn lead to paid work.

On the other side...I have had a number of bad experiences with makeup artists where the makeup was just terrible. MY main problem is that I am very pale and have blond eyelashes/eyebrows. Many makeup artists have a huge issue drawing in eyebrows for me and do the kind of makeup on me they would do for someone tanned. I've also had terrible makeup done when it was rushed for runway and such, but I understand that the makeup artist hasn't had the proper time to do my makeup so I try not to judge them based on a rushed job.
I would say that I do my makeup for 80% of my shoots.
I would like to add that I have had some amazing makeup artists over the years as well and never go into a shoot with a new makeup artists assuming they are not going to do a good job. I also try not to judge the makeup too harshly until I see the final photos because what the camera sees is not what I see.

May 16 13 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Trisha May Photography

Colchester, Connecticut, US

You do realize that while makeup may not look "right" in person, it looks much better in photos?

May 16 13 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

eybdoog

New York, New York, US

Makeup by Dani B wrote:
If I worked with a model who attempted to change or alter my work in any way I would know that person was not a professional and would alert the CD/AD that the model had done so right then. She would not be hired again. Professional models are more concerned with their work than everybody else's in my experience.

Professional MUA/Hs (i.e. those who do it full time and make all their living off of it) are capable and competent regardless of what hair type/texture or skin type/color they are working with. They don't need models to tell them how to do their makeup or hair. Outside of allergies/medications that may affect results, they can figure out the rest without assistance. Just as models don't need the MUA/Hs to suggest poses or techniques. Whether or not a model "likes" the look is irrelevant. As long as the client is happy, that's all that should matter to everyone.

It sounds like the OP is not working with professionals. That probably explains a lot. In which case the OP needs to perhaps be more involved in the next project leading up to the work day, or hire a professional.

+1  and I agree with what was said about communication being key on test shoots that are non-paid and more of a collaboration. Once you get more shoots under your belt, you will see the difference between pro's and those that simply do it for a hobby/student perspective. Not every gig that you get will give you a plain basic makeup look like is currently in your port either. The job of a model in a shoot is to transform and be the persona or look that they are given. Good luck in your journey.

May 16 13 11:43 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Vaugn Makeup

Los Angeles, California, US

I'll do your makeup and hair if you do my before and after project smile

Asian faces create challenges many makeup artists without a lot of experience with Asian features. Just like a stylist won't know how to do African American hair without experience, its not really these ladies fault for not knowing how to make you look your best.

Lots of MUAs do one thing every time, and just dropping you into their usual thing has shown to not work.

Another factor might be your inability to see yourself different. Its hard to open your mind to new things sometimes. What is different is not always wrong.

May 17 13 12:19 am Link