Forums > Model Colloquy > sensual video modeling?

Photographer

Boreal Photography

Posts: 292

Portland, Oregon, US

This video (not mine) at the link below strikes me as very artistic, erotic art much like fine art nude photography. I dabble in dramatic short films, have a desire to produce/write/score an independent feature film (thriller/horror) in a couple of hears, so to play with motion art in a small way like this video intrigues me, apply photography of model skills:
http://vimeo.com/zebisphoto/sensualsickness
(1/2 second of breasts exposure, so be warned anybody of that before viewing, technically 18+)

Would MM models ever go for modeling in something like that video, and if so what would be a fair compensation? I see the model in the video is not even really identifiable, and there is about 1/2 second of nudity even though the video is very sensual.

Not exactly sure if motion pictures apply to model mayhem, if not I apologize for this post and mods you can delete it. But photography also involves film, I kind of which there was a video forum here on the forums.

May 02 13 05:00 pm Link

Model

Dekilah

Posts: 4890

Detroit, Michigan, US

I would definitely do videos like that, although I tend to move a bit slower and more fluidly (though that video may have been sped up, etc). You can see the stuff I do: https://www.youtube.com/user/dekilahmodel/videos Not nude, but I have done similar nude videos made available only to my fans.

As far as compensation... I am not completely sure. I shot all of my videos myself. I am not sure how I feel doing that for someone else. Assuming I would, it would depend on what the videos were going to be used for.

May 02 13 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Posts: 10330

Santa Ana, California, US

I like some of the fashion motion stuff I'm seeing now days a bit better. This is more erotic (even though primarily clothed).

May 02 13 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Boreal Photography

Posts: 292

Portland, Oregon, US

John Allan wrote:
I like some of the fashion motion stuff I'm seeing now days a bit better. This is more erotic (even though primarily clothed).

yeah i am not even sure i would want to go as erotic as that video, just an example of beauty in motion whatever that means. but i have seen videos of models, clothes, simply walking sensual, slow motion-- that kind of video production intrigues me. i'll try to find more examples; basically just wondering if models would be okay doing motion modeling as part of a photomodeling gig, not necessarily like that erotic video, i think i need to find a tamer example.

May 02 13 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Boreal Photography

Posts: 292

Portland, Oregon, US

Randall_Oelerich wrote:
...yeah i am not even sure i would want to go as erotic as that video, just an example of beauty in motion whatever that means. but i have seen videos of models, clothes, simply walking sensual, slow motion-- that kind of video production intrigues me. i'll try to find more examples; basically just wondering if models would be okay doing motion modeling as part of a photomodeling gig, not necessarily like that erotic video, i think i need to find a tamer example.

http://vimeo.com/24712150
^^^this, I would love to make some fashion model videos like this one shot in Iceland. I am not keen at all on the model's clothing, even the model herself I do not find all that appealing. But the style of the video interests me. As I said, I have filmmaking equipment (I have shot three craptastic horror short films), so working with models to make videos almost interests me more than still photography, for the art itself, and as preparation for a larger project in a couple of years (independent feature film with actors; and I study film music composition as well as write screenplays so I want to write, produce, and score the music to a feature film). I don't plan on doing professional photography, I just love images, but going the route of video intrigues as an offshoot of still photography of models. And, coincidentally, the geography/landscape and old ships and water an all in that video are all very much like where i live on the shores of Lake Superior in northern Minnesota; not that I would copy that video exactly, but I would be a fool not to use the interesting visuals of the shores along our lake, big freighters, lighthouses, and old piers here and such where I live.

May 02 13 06:07 pm Link

Model

Rachael Bueckert

Posts: 1121

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

I would love to do something like that, I've been interested in that kind of thing for a while. Not fully nude though, implied or clothed. But yes definitely!

May 02 13 09:51 pm Link

Model

Mizz Amanda Marie

Posts: 1570

Chicago, Illinois, US

I do all kinds of video work and my rates for it are typically the same as my rate for stills of the same explicit-ness level, with a couple of exceptions.

May 04 13 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Posts: 22618

Salem, Oregon, US

we did some sensual video for one of our models. we did a clip she could post on facebook, one she could use as a fan "thank you" on zivity and one where i'm not even sure where she could use it. lol.

i think the thing is to discuss video upfront with the model. don't surprise them with it unless it's just a bit of BTS.

May 05 13 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

T A R I K

Posts: 1246

BRONX, New York, US

that was a nice video

May 04 14 07:32 am Link

Photographer

aaaaaaaaaac

Posts: 2497

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom

I've always wanted to do a video similar to Unkle's Runaway;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTXhK961ygg

May 04 14 07:36 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Posts: 18211

Orlando, Florida, US

I think rates for motion has always been a bit more than for stills.

May 04 14 07:38 am Link

Model

Ida Saint-Luc

Posts: 406

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

Boreal Photography wrote:
Would MM models ever go for modeling in something like that video, and if so what would be a fair compensation? I see the model in the video is not even really identifiable, and there is about 1/2 second of nudity even though the video is very sensual.

Not exactly sure if motion pictures apply to model mayhem, if not I apologize for this post and mods you can delete it. But photography also involves film, I kind of which there was a video forum here on the forums.

It should be in the purview of MM... I mean, "acting" is a possible genre you can select. A lot of people are doing it and it's not that much different than a BTS video.

Fair compensation would definitely be more than for stills. In any case I think you'd have to book the model for longer to make sure you'd have enough time.

May 04 14 07:52 am Link

guide forum

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

Posts: 6324

New York, New York, US

I have a few slideshows up of stills I've taken (18+ https://vimeo.com/user9597339 18+) that are essentially similar.  I think it's a reasonable extension of what models and photographers do, made possible by the motion picture capability built in to both DSLRs ana P&Ss.  It is a somewhat different planning and editing process and requires additional editing software to go from slideshows to full motion.  Certainly not a case of simply shooting a continuous series of poses and adding a little music if you want anything that is not merely reportorial but that has any artistic validity of its own. 

As far as rates are concerned, that's more a matter of usage than format and if you're just beginning to explore the medium you might be well advised to not even think of rates until you've got a few good TF projects under your belt, whether you're a model or a photographer.  While the media and the techniques employed are similar, they are very much not the same.  I have a couple of scripts that I've written but won't attempt them until I have more experience in both shooting and editing simpler projects.

All IMHO as always.

May 04 14 08:00 am Link

Model

Ifa Brand

Posts: 128

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

I have been experimenting with videos on my own and for a nude model it is an interesting medium to explore.

This is my movie called 'Own Voyeur' NSFW:
http://vimeo.com/89586150


Also interesting for photographers to see how you move, what you look like without (much) editing.

Rates: I would give slightly higher rates for video than stills.
Also, video takes longer than images because you need to shoot a lot of film, make sure you have enough.

May 04 14 08:11 am Link

guide forum

Model

Koryn

Posts: 36719

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I have done video content work, on and off, since 2009. It was the largest part of my income in 2011. TFP is NOT adequate compensation for video work, because models do not need video content in order to get more video work. If you're a nice-looking girl, with a great, sexy stills portfolio, you will be up to your eyeballs in opportunities to shoot video content of all kinds and types.

Additionally, since sexy videos are not available as mainstream media, and are generally not accessible to the public, having the "credit" doesn't mean much either. There's little benefit for a model to do video for the sake of video. It would end up being a waste of time.

For me, fair video compensation has always been around $75/hr for non-nude clips (niche fetishes generally), $100 per hour for time spent filming more erotica type content.

Want video content models for arts erotica? Cold hard cash.

May 04 14 08:24 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Posts: 6817

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Boreal Photography wrote:
This video (not mine) at the link below strikes me as very artistic, erotic art much like fine art nude photography. I dabble in dramatic short films, have a desire to produce/write/score an independent feature film (thriller/horror) in a couple of hears, so to play with motion art in a small way like this video intrigues me, apply photography of model skills:
http://vimeo.com/zebisphoto/sensualsickness
(1/2 second of breasts exposure, so be warned anybody of that before viewing, technically 18+)

Would MM models ever go for modeling in something like that video, and if so what would be a fair compensation? I see the model in the video is not even really identifiable, and there is about 1/2 second of nudity even though the video is very sensual.

Not exactly sure if motion pictures apply to model mayhem, if not I apologize for this post and mods you can delete it. But photography also involves film, I kind of which there was a video forum here on the forums.

I'm trying to figure out how you would differentiate a casting call for that from a casting call for an exotic dancer.

May 04 14 08:40 am Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Posts: 794

Corvallis, Oregon, US

Ifa Brand  wrote:
I have been experimenting with videos on my own and for a nude model it is an interesting medium to explore.

This is my movie called 'Own Voyeur' NSFW:
http://vimeo.com/89586150


Also interesting for photographers to see how you move, what you look like without (much) editing.

Rates: I would give slightly higher rates for video than stills.
Also, video takes longer than images because you need to shoot a lot of film, make sure you have enough.

Interesting concept, but I felt a little motion sick watching it.

May 05 14 04:38 am Link

Model

Amber West

Posts: 285

London, England, United Kingdom

Mizz Amanda Marie wrote:
I do all kinds of video work and my rates for it are typically the same as my rate for stills of the same explicit-ness level, with a couple of exceptions.

Same as me.  I don't tend to charge more than stills.  If anything, I'm more comfortable in motion (I also feel I look a lot better!).

However, I would NOT do video on a TFCD basis, especially this kind of thing as it really has no use to me personally.

May 05 14 04:58 am Link

Model

L J K

Posts: 267

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I've been on the hunt to find someone who produces work like that. I have a couple links saved in my bookmarks here.....ah, here they are:
http://vimeo.com/solmazsaberi
http://vimeo.com/80216772
http://vimeo.com/76487996

You aren't too far from me either... o.O Fancy that.

May 05 14 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Jamez

Posts: 241

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Nice clips everyone.

In all respects, it's a tough project to create, and for sure the Model should be compensated at an increased rate (over stills). Not everyone is capable of moving the way the shooter/editor/director envisions.

I've wanted to create video content like this for years, but the 20+ hours (done right) of editing is too prohibitive on a TF basis.

I have no problem doing the day's worth of shooting TF, but my day job is as a video editor, and I can't justify that much work for no money.


BTW LUCIMA's got some awesome work:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/1160703
https://vimeo.com/lucima/videos

And of course  Jose Luis' work (18+)
https://vimeo.com/joseluisphoto/videos
https://vimeo.com/23887394

May 06 14 05:05 am Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Posts: 1325

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

Over the past year I have done video work like that for Model clients...It's cool and if used correctly could help a Model's career, or destroy it....It's different than photography with the editing, cuts and music it makes it a good challenge....It's very important that as a Model you work with a team of people on the shoot otherwise it will look really cheap and you will look really bad....Cool, but different than a photo shoot....I will continue to shoot both for the foreseeable future...


M

May 08 14 02:18 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Posts: 8265

Tucson, Arizona, US

I would do video like this (with no nudity) for my regular rate, because, although I think it's pretty, it wouldn't really benefit my portfolio.

May 08 14 02:21 pm Link