Forums > Newbie Forum > Lack of replies from models

Photographer

eybdoog

New York, New York, US

Jim, one suggestion in finding folks to shoot with initially is to team up with other well known photographers in the area to try group shoots. This will help you to get your name out there and to get to network with some of the local models that you can later turn to when you need people to shoot for your own work. You can generally find these types of things at workshops, networking events like ASMP/Meetup..etc. or local colleges. Most of the time it is that initial step of getting known so that people will start wanting to work more with you. good luck

May 04 13 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Michael DBA Expressions wrote:
Jim, you and I grew up in a different time. Young folks today can't be bothered responding negatively to anything. If I get no reply, I infer the model isn't interested and isn't likely to be in future, so I write 'em off the list. Actually, you can work your way rather quickly through the cloud of wannabes that way. The ones who reply, even with a "no thanks, not this time" are the keepers.

The simply truth is that this site, like so many other online modeling sites, contains profiles from a LOT of people who just want to be able to say "hey, see, I'm a model" but don't actually want to do any of the WORK it takes to actually BE a model. So I'm kinda grateful for such an easy way to separate the wheat from the chaff, you know?

+1

I post very clearly on my profile that before I finalize a shoot, I need to speak with the model at least once. Because of that rule, I have managed to keep a lot of unprofessional "models" away. If they can't invest 5 minutes talking to me, I don't have to invest the hours it takes to shoot with you and edit your photos.

Act like a professional, and you will be treated as such.

May 04 13 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Hi_Spade Photography

Florence, South Carolina, US

Colorado Model Amber wrote:
Not to sound rude but if I viewed someones page who contacted me with interest and thy only had 7 pictures on their page I don't reply back. Especially if their page says they are retiring I would see it pointless to work with them. Maybe the Models didn't want to waste their time with a reply.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is exactly the kind of models I try to stay away from.

May 04 13 10:00 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:

No disrespect but that makes no sense at all.   If someone is offering to pay you why would you care if they retiring.   So what they only have seven images.   New members only get 15 unless they pay.   Would you turn down $100.00 a hour because someone is new?   He's not retiring as a photographer.   Some of the models on this site complain that so many shooters only offer TF but they make it damn near impossible to hire them.

Yes, I would turn down someone even if they were offering to pay me $100 I've done it before.

I was giving him possible reasons why someone wouldnt reply back to him.

May 04 13 10:05 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Hi_Spade Photography wrote:

Well, I couldn't say I would work with your type either lol

May 04 13 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Yes, I would turn down someone even if they were offering to pay me $100 I've done it before.

I was giving him possible reasons why someone wouldnt reply back to him.

Isn't the ideal to try and work?   Here we have a new photographer of models.   He's willing to pay.   He could easily be vetted as he's photographed golf events.   So you only accept jobs from established  known pros?   They tend not too pay.   The photographers who do pay are usually very new or those who are transferring over from shooting products, food  or events to models.   They may not have a lot of wonderful images for example of models.   Part of why they pay.   I guess you can afford to turn down work.   If it were me and someone was offering me cash money to model.   I wouldn't care if they had one shot and it was our infamous Pie Bear.

I respond to every email I get.   Especially those where people are offering money.   If the offer is too low I try and get more.   Your possible reasons are part of why so many models on sites like this make ZERO.

May 04 13 10:17 pm Link

Model

Scarlett de la Calle

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

Tony Lawrence wrote:

Isn't the ideal to try and work?   Here we have a new photographer of models.   He's willing to pay.   He could easily be vetted as he's photographed golf events.   So you only accept jobs from established  known pros?   They tend not too pay.   The photographers who do pay are usually very new or those who are transferring over from shooting products, food  or events to models.   They may not have a lot of wonderful images for example of models.   Part of why they pay.   I guess you can afford to turn down work.   If it were me and someone was offering me cash money to model.   I wouldn't care if they had one shot and it was our infamous Pie Bear.

I respond to every email I get.   Especially those where people are offering money.   If the offer is too low I try and get more.   Your possible reasons are part of why so many models on sites like this make ZERO.

^^ I agree i would agree to a paid job if a photographer was not at standards that my portfolio were I would just simply ask for no credits. I don't see the big deal in him only having 7 images (or however) and many people retire to immerse themselves in artistic interests

May 04 13 10:22 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:

Well I don't Model for the Money sorry to bust your bubble lol I've worked with new people but yes I will base it off the quality of their work as I wouldn't want a bad picture to ruin my portfolio even if I do this just as a Hobbie. I've made money and have done trade work and will continue to do just that.

That's like asking a Model to work with you even if you are a "GWC" with say phone pictures or really bad pictures on their page just because they are offering money. I highly doubt many Models would take them up on their offer. I know I wouldn't!

May 04 13 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Well I don't Model for the Money sorry to bust your bubble lol I've worked with new people but yes I will base it off the quality of their work as I wouldn't want a bad picture to ruin my portfolio even if I do this just as a Hobbie. I've made money and have done trade work and will continue to do just that.

That's like asking a Model to work with you even if you are a "GWC" with say phone pictures or really bad pictures on their page just because they are offering money. I highly doubt many Models would take them up on their offer. I know I wouldn't!

Not trying to make money?   Really?   Curious as you list references and you say you don't do test shoots.   I know lots of models who shoot with crappy photographers but they show good to great images on their profiles and thats the one that counts.   My feeling is many if not most models want too be paid and sadly most who do pay may be so called GWC.   I know a model of your stature and experience wouldn't work with them but others might because they want to pay their rent or eat.   Professionals do the best they can with those who pay them.   Not everyone will work with the wonderful and talented shooters you have.   If Frankensteins monsters wanted to pay me too shoot him.   I'd do it.   I like having cash in my pocket.

Although I totally get where you're coming from.   Not sure many models turn down cash jobs but they aren't you.

May 04 13 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

robert b mitchell

Surrey, British Columbia, Canada

That is the tough part when getting started. I find that as you get better known and your port improves then it is much easier to get models. The problem is then you may want o upgrade your level of model. I can be much more picky now. All the best of luck. And I still get flakes!!!! This is MM and professionalism is a very overused word around here considering  that many are really not professionals including ME!

May 04 13 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

FairwayPhotos

Plainville, Massachusetts, US

Again, I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and suggestions.  It has been very helpful and I will certainly implement a number of those suggestions in my work.

I did think I was clear in stating I was retiring from my full time position in the golf industry and want to grow my photography business, FairwayPhotos.  I have done some product photography and extensive golf and landscape work.  I don't think MM would allow these images in my portfolio on line here.

I am excited about working with people and lifestyle shots.

Jim

May 05 13 05:07 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Not to sound rude but if I viewed someones page who contacted me with interest and thy only had 7 pictures on their page I don't reply back.

Coming from a model who has only FIVE pictures, one of which is not even of her, and who says in her bio she's not modelling at the moment...

Yay for irony!! borat

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

May 05 13 05:18 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Jim,

You have been here a year.  I don't consider that you are a Newbie.  In that time you have accumulated only three friends (+ a teddy bear).  This isn't Facebook, but still you need to network.

Get to know local photographers,  They can be references for you.  Credit your models.  Even if they are not on MM, you can use a first name or a professional name.

The model on the golf course is gorgeous.  Work with her some more but not in full sun.  The second image in your portfolio shows promise for some really fun shoots if you develop a working relationship with her.  Work some more with the girl.

Keep at it!

Mark

May 05 13 05:42 am Link

Photographer

KonstantKarma

Campobello, South Carolina, US

Not to sound rude but if I viewed someones page who contacted me with interest and thy only had 7 pictures on their page I don't reply back. Especially if their page says they are retiring I would see it pointless to work with them. Maybe the Models didn't want to waste their time with a reply.

lol

May 05 13 05:49 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:
Coming from a model who has only FIVE pictures, one of which is not even of her, and who says in her bio she's not modelling at the moment...

Yay for irony!! borat

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Says it all. Last modelling  pic 2010.

May 05 13 06:09 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
This isn't about  entitlement masquerading as sensitivity to manners.   There is NO point to being here as a model if you are not going to actually model.   Part of that is responding to serious offers if asked.   Say, no thank  you.   Say maybe another time.   Say fuc^ you but say something.   There is a recent thread where a model complained about her lack of offers.   A good MM shooter spoke up and reminded her he had offered a shoot and she never answered.   No one is entitled to anything and yet if I say hello to someone on the street its rude if they don't reply.   Here is why it hurts models.   That offer of payment could be increased but how would they know if they never reply.

A member has mentioned 'your portfolio'.   Yo... the OP is offering money.   What his portfolio looks like isn't important.   If you are a model member yet aren't shooting.   Why are you here?   Why spend the time to upload images and join if you have no plans to network, look for work or improve your portfolio.   If the ideal is just show the world some pretty photos just stay on Facebook.   Leave MM to those who actually want too model and or make money.

+1
If the $$ are too low say so
If the time is not good say so
If the idea is not your style say so.
Then negotiate but say something. It is not about manners or being rude it is good business and YOUR reputation.

May 05 13 09:22 am Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:

Not trying to make money?   Really?   Curious as you list references and you say you don't do test shoots.   I know lots of models who shoot with crappy photographers but they show good to great images on their profiles and thats the one that counts.   My feeling is many if not most models want too be paid and sadly most who do pay may be so called GWC.   I know a model of your stature and experience wouldn't work with them but others might because they want to pay their rent or eat.   Professionals do the best they can with those who pay them.   Not everyone will work with the wonderful and talented shooters you have.   If Frankensteins monsters wanted to pay me too shoot him.   I'd do it.   I like having cash in my pocket.

Although I totally get where you're coming from.   Not sure many models turn down cash jobs but they aren't you.

That's right I don't Model for the Money if you are into Modeling just based on making money then to me you arnt really into the Art of Modeling and don't really love doing it. I do work for a living so that's how I pay my Rent/Bills.

Also you are right I don't do "test shoots" I prefer TF* or if paid is offered.

Also this is not about the Models paying to shoot them.

Dear OP sorry this has some what gotten off your topic I was simply giving you possible reasons why Models haven't replied back to you.

May 05 13 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Kezins Photography

Beckley, West Virginia, US

Jim Fitzroy wrote:
I'm new on this site and have tried to contact 8 or 9 models to do an outdoor spring photoshoot.  One replied within an hour indicating she was leaving the area for summer break from college and would love to do a shoot in the fall.  Absolutely nothing from the others.

I'm retiring in July and trying to build my photography business.  I've had some success in the golf/landscape area and want to expand my portfolio and skills with "people" photography.

I have been clear on the type of shoot I'd like to do, dates available, compensation, prints, and CD's available for the model.

Am I just old fashion or is it just plain rude and un-professional not to repy to a request for work?

Jim

If you have the finances and ability, do a little traveling.  I have no luck in West Virginia with models, but if I travel a few hours to Ohio or Virginia, I find more people wanting to shoot with me than I can handle.  Sometimes in small areas, models want friends to know they are models but they very rarely actually do shoots.

May 05 13 02:21 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:

Yay for irony!! borat

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Sorry! the friend request you sent to me after this was DENIED, what "irony" lol

May 05 13 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

FOUR pictures in 2010.

Very surprised Stefano sent a FR req he tends to work with llamas who have up to date ports and in the UK.

May 05 13 02:31 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

c_h_r_i_s wrote:
FOUR pictures in 2010.

Very surprised Stefano sent a FR req he tends to work with models who have up to date ports and in the UK.

lol SMH

May 05 13 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

c_h_r_i_s wrote:
Very surprised Stefano sent a FR req he tends to work with models who have up to date ports and in the UK.

I send everybody a friend request when I insult them in the forums - I don't want people to think it's personal big_smile

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

May 05 13 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

That's right I don't Model for the Money if you are into Modeling just based on making money then to me you arnt really into the Art of Modeling and don't really love doing it. I do work for a living so that's how I pay my Rent/Bills.

Also you are right I don't do "test shoots" I prefer TF* or if paid is offered.

Also this is not about the Models paying to shoot them.

Dear OP sorry this has some what gotten off your topic I was simply giving you possible reasons why Models haven't replied back to you.

I would question how much really into the Art of Modeling you are when you haven't shot since 2010.   Instead of pointing fingers at the OP.   Lets be candid and say that most of the models on MM are a waste of time.   Pay or not they just aren't all that serious and like you aren't shooting.   ...and before you claim I sent you a friend request you denied.   In all my time on MM I have sent exactly one and it wasn't to you.

May 05 13 03:04 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
I would question how much really into the Art of Modeling you are when you haven't shot since 2010.   Instead of pointing fingers at the OP.   Lets be candid and say that most of the models on MM are a waste of time.   Pay or not they just aren't all that serious and like you aren't shooting.   ...and before you claim I sent you a friend request you denied.   In all my time on MM I have sent exactly one and it wasn't to you.

Didn't have the time to Model it happens, Just now getting back into the swing of things now that I have the time.

I also didn't point any fingers at the OP he was curious as to why Models weren't replying back to Him I simply gave REASONS as to why that could be happening. I didn't diss him in any way.

I never said YOU sent me a FR perhaps try reading the post fully first lol

EDIT: good luck to the OP, I wont be replying again on your post it seems it has gotten out of control. If anyone else has something to say to me be free to send me a message directly :-)

May 05 13 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Jim Fitzroy wrote:
Yes, I have offered compensation although I left it sort of open.  I tell the potential model I will pay a reasonable hourly rate, compensate reasonable expenses, and provide 6-10 prints and a CD of the shoot.
While no answer is a kind of reply, I believe it is un-professional and rude.

You are offering way too much.

*another note is they are not professional. Professional is one word that is over used and abused around here.

May 05 13 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Square Jaw Photography

Joshua Tree, California, US

It's not just models, but people in general. With the invention of the internet, the need for a backbone has dissipated. I was in negotiation with a model recently over MM messages. She decided to stop messaging some point in the middle of everything.

I guess people think that means "no." I'm sure I've been guilty of it too. It's just how people communicate these days, by lack of communication. lol

May 05 13 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Kuttlefishfoto

Vancouver, Washington, US

I am kinda new here too, less than a year.  Experienced the same frustration but quickly learned to adapt.  Patience and persistence pays off.

May 05 13 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

Hi_Spade Photography wrote:

Agreed.

May 05 13 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

... your page only has five pics...

Sign me, confused...

May 05 13 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

FairwayPhotos

Thanks to everyone who weighed in on my post.  Most have been very helpful and one thing I have done is add some shots to my portfolio here of some of my other types of work.  Hope this helps some realize I'm not just a GWC.

The other thing I did was put an ad on Craig's list this morning and have already scheduled a shoot for next weekend.  I'll post some of the shots ASAP.

Finally, I've contacted some models here that posted their hourly rates and offered to pay them for their time and talent.

I'm excited about expanding my portfolio and photography skills.

Jim

May 05 13 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Rodney Almore Photos

Altadena, California, US

New Art Photo wrote:
After a year and a half on MM, trying to line up TFP shoots, it seems only to be getting harder.
It also depends on what kind of photos you're taking  and the kind of girls you are looking for-- but it seems to have become a point of pride for models to put "Paid shoots only".

This time last year I found I had sent out 72 new requests for TFP shoots and messaged with about 25  girls I was already in contact with--in one week.

If you want to keep any kind of sanity, I would pick the reliable, pro models on MM and just arrange paid shoots with them.  (I'm a Portrait photographer mostly looking for actresses,  Not a Fashion guy, so I really don't want Pro models--but the TFP route really takes a toll on your mind and spirit.)

May 05 13 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Jim Fitzroy wrote:
Thanks to everyone who weighed in on my post.  Most have been very helpful and one thing I have done is add some shots to my portfolio here of some of my other types of work.  Hope this helps some realize I'm not just a GWC.

The other thing I did was put an ad on Craig's list this morning and have already scheduled a shoot for next weekend.  I'll post some of the shots ASAP.

Finally, I've contacted some models here that posted their hourly rates and offered to pay them for their time and talent.

Jim

A level-headed, insightful and thought-out reply like this (not to mention the fact that you actually seemed to have learned something from your thread) is completely unacceptable behavior for these forums... lol

jk/ best of luck smile

May 05 13 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Rodney Almore Photos

Altadena, California, US

Rodney Almore Photos wrote:

Exactly this!

May 05 13 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Gerhart

San Antonio, Texas, US

Jim Fitzroy wrote:
Yes, I have offered compensation although I left it sort of open.  I tell the potential model I will pay a reasonable hourly rate, compensate reasonable expenses, and provide 6-10 prints and a CD of the shoot.

While no answer is a kind of reply, I believe it is un-professional and rude.

WOW... What a deal... paid hourly rate, paid expenses, prints, and a CD. I am surprised you are not getting any responses. I am  also having problems getting replies. But you just have to keep on kicking over the rocks. Sooner or later you will find a true professional model.

May 05 13 07:12 pm Link

Model

Lillian Faith

Savannah, Georgia, US

StevieSteve wrote:
This younger generation is very self absorbed with no manners. I'm not judging everyone, but for the most part in what I've dealt with holds true.

Gee, thanks.

May 05 13 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

salvatori. wrote:

A level-headed, insightful and thought-out reply like this (not to mention the fact that you actually seemed to have learned something from your thread) is completely unacceptable behavior for these forums... lol

jk/ best of luck smile

lol 

Jim, you'll do fine.

May 05 13 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Jim Fitzroy wrote:

Jim

Jim you seem like a classy guy.   I was bothered by the subtle attacks on you and your work.   That anyone would hint you are a GWC is beyond me or that they wouldn't reply because you only have seven photographs and are retiring is just goofy.   If a photographer willing to pay and give images can't get models to reply what can those who offer trade expect.   Good luck and you have a great attitude.

May 05 13 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

FairwayPhotos

Thank you Tony.  I didn't take the negative comments personally, just tried to use them to get better.

Jim

May 06 13 04:09 am Link

Model

MiaDLove

London, England, United Kingdom

From my point of view replying a message saying "thanks very much but i am not interested in working with you" (in a polite way) takes 2 minutes and we can all do it.

I suppose some models may be too busy managing their ego...

May 06 13 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Kenoe Foto

Los Angeles, California, US

Jim, my two cents. If you're looking to build up a portfolio photographing models in the Golf setting, another way to go about it is to organize a group shoot if there are other photographers in your area. If you already have access to the location, reach out to other photographers and models in the area. Typical, these things are full day events but it depends on how long you have access to the location. Set aside a few hours of your allotted time for the group shoot, then model can set up one on one shoots with the photographers. That way, they negotiate their rates individually. The interest is higher because they have several different photographers there and can maximize their earnings. You get to shoot several different different models for your portfolio...it's a win-win situation for all involved.

Just a suggestion. I've never organized one myself, so I don't know what it takes to put it together.

May 06 13 12:40 pm Link