Forums > Photography Talk > Adobe Abandons Photoshop CS7

Photographer

JAE

West Chester, Pennsylvania, US

glofoto wrote:

$20 a month FOREVER, and once you stop paying the $20 a month, you no longer have the software.  That will really add up over time.

I've upgraded every year, and this is double what it has cost me in photoshop upgrade costs.

Upgrades cost me about $125 a year, so this is twice as much.

Forever is a long time.

May 06 13 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

Azimuth Arts

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

GPS Studio Services wrote:

I am a Cloud user and I love it.  I will continue.  It has been great.  As for my old CS 4 Master Collection, it still works just fine.

+1  And still more cost effective than keeping up to date on the Master Collection paying the old upgrade fees.

May 06 13 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

mathieu drut

Santa Clara, California, US

Kenoe Foto wrote:
This may work in the US, Western Europe, and other technologically developed countries where internet access isn't a problem. But what happens when that National Geographic photographer is shooting an assignment in the Namibian desert where there's no human settlement for hundred's of miles let alone internet service and needs to get his images in for publication?

I'm not getting your example... how is that photographer supposed to send his images for publication if he doesn't have internet access to begin with? Plus, you only need to be connected once a month to confirm your subscription.

May 06 13 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Azimuth Arts

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

C A Bridges wrote:
From what I can tell from the CS site and the FAQ page:

- You download the apps from them, but after that you don't have to be connected to work and your files can be saved locally. You do have to connect at least once a month so they can verify you're paid up.
- You don't have to remove your old apps. "For example, you can install and use both Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CC on the same computer."
- Monthly and annual rates are both there.
- Lightroom isn't in the CC package and will continue to be separate.
- You can use the apps on up to 2 computers, and they don't have to be the same make (one can be Mac, one can be PC if you want). And you can sync preferences across your machines.
- You get the latest versions, with new updates whenever they finish them. No more 18-month update cycle.
- You don't have to accept new updates if you don't want them. They're not pushed on you.
- CC apps should still be able to export to CS apps.
- However, some people have reported problems with authenticating that resulted in hours or days lost without a working PS while they dealt with customer support.

No idea what I'll be doing. My PS5 does what I need it to do and I don't have a burning need to upgrade that often, so it simply may not be cost effective for me. $240/year is way more than $200 upgrades every two years.

My buddy the designer absolutely loves it,  but he uses many more apps than I do.

Lightroom is available as part of the cloud subscription.

May 06 13 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

The Studio_1953

Hyattsville, Maryland, US

Vincent_L wrote:

I've recently been trying DXO Optics Pro 8 as a RAW converter because I like the quality of their chroma noise reduction. However, unlike ACR, it doesn't have the ability use a brush to apply exposure compensation. I'm assuming Capture One does not have this feature either.

Capture One Pro does have a brush tool for local adjustments and it's also has layers. Take a look through their blog.

http://blog.phaseone.com/

May 06 13 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

If they do this I sure as hell wont be signing up for no monthly payments. I hate subscriptions of any kind. They will loose me and many as customers.

May 06 13 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Innovative Imagery

Los Angeles, California, US

Kenoe Foto wrote:
This may work in the US, Western Europe, and other technologically developed countries where internet access isn't a problem. But what happens when that National Geographic photographer is shooting an assignment in the Namibian desert where there's no human settlement for hundred's of miles let alone internet service and needs to get his images in for publication?

mathieu drut wrote:
I'm not getting your example... how is that photographer supposed to send his images for publication if he doesn't have internet access to begin with? Plus, you only need to be connected once a month to confirm your subscription.

I think he means he can't work on his files in the field and will waste all that time out there, before he come into town to download and send them in.

May 06 13 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Adobe might be surprised at the reaction.

Here is what a prominent game maker [Valve] did last year when Windows 8 was coming out.

27 Jul 2012
Impending Windows 8 'catastrophe' behind $3bn game maker’s shift to Linux
http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/219 … t-to-linux

"For many software vendors, the Windows Store that will be built into Windows 8 represents a potent threat to their livelihood. It will give Microsoft a direct link to software-buying purchasers for the first time. Microsoft is believed to be demanding a 30 per cent commission from developers wishing to sell their software in the Windows Store."

May 06 13 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

ChristerArt

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

John Jebbia wrote:
I suppose we could all switch to Instagram.

If you're on a Mac you can try Pixelmator - dirt cheap - I paid the equivalent of $17 - yeah, that's right $17.

http://www.pixelmator.com/

Tutorials here:

http://www.pixelmator.com/tutorials/#editing-basics

May 06 13 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Silver Mirage

Plainview, Texas, US

It will be interesting to see how this works out. I've been with the subscriptions almost since they started and so far it has worked well for me - but I use InDesign, Illustrator and Premiere Pro as well as Photoshop. (Last time I looked there was a cheaper subscription rate for PS only - wonder if that continues.)

Compared to buying the Creative Suite, I figured it would take 7 to 10 years before the cost of the subscription caught up to the cost of the Suite and upgrades - depending on what guesses I made about future pricing and upgrades.

In the meantime I get first continual upgrades (some so-so, but some very handy to me) and access to pretty much anything Adobe publishes.

I do wonder if this will open the door for a real PS competitor. Will be interesting to see what the other companies do.

May 06 13 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

ChristerArt wrote:

If you're on a Mac you can try Pixelmator - dirt cheap - I paid the equivalent of $17 - yeah, that's right $17.

http://www.pixelmator.com/

Tutorials here:

http://www.pixelmator.com/tutorials/#editing-basics

looks like it's got a switch from adobe sale going, (my words)  it's only

$14.99 right now.

is that right?  $14.99 for the software?

May 06 13 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

They way they keep on improving Lightroom I rarely use Photoshop anymore. Might just dump it.

May 06 13 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Deida

Reading, Pennsylvania, US

Dear Phase one Capture One ,

Please step in,
and kickass! big_smile

Adobe .....  the Monsanto of multimedia and creative software. "FINGER"

May 06 13 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

Okay, I think I get how all this works.

- You pay a monthly fee and get the PS software and updates, etc., are included.
- You only have to be connected once a month to pay; otherwise, you can use it wherever you like.

That all sounds fine, IMHO. My problem is this: as with any type of 'cloud' or online thing, Adobe saves the cost of manufacturing discs, manuals, packaging, shipping to individuals, schools or stores; doesn't have to deal with returns from wholesalers, etc.

They are saving a SHITLOAD of overhead and material costs. And all they had to do was install an online pay thing to automatically take your money every thirty days (a simple analysis, I know).

I know that R&D costs, but really... considering the cost savings they will now realize, and the ease of collecting money with no middlemen, well, you guys tell me...

isn't the price fairly outrageous?

Again, IMHO

May 06 13 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

David Parsons

Quincy, Massachusetts, US

fullmetalphotographer wrote:
If Apple got serious or any major company they could make a software to rival photoshop, because now they don't need to better just affordable and available, as photoshop moves to the cloud.

Apple already tried with Aperture, and they've pretty much lost interest in it.

May 06 13 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Thankfully I don't use CS6 and have no interest in CS7.

LR and Elements do everything I need and I'm not expecting that to change in the near future.

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

May 06 13 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Revenge Photography

Horsham, Victoria, Australia

Vincent_L wrote:

You will eventually require updates to Photoshop even if you don't want new features. If you ever plan to buy the latest camera you will need Adobe to update ACR to support it. You can probably use a third party RAW converter but it's not a clean workflow.

So glad that Pentax can save in standard DNG format.

May 06 13 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

David Parsons

Quincy, Massachusetts, US

JAE Photography PA wrote:

LR will still be a stand alone product.

Until it's not.

May 06 13 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Philip of Dallas

Dallas, Texas, US

Adobe essentially has a monopoly with Photoshop and Acrobat. They apparently are no longer are able improve those products enough, to make most customers want to pay the high upgrade prices. Instead, Adobe does what monopolies do best - screw the customer with higher prices.

This is all about Adobe not getting enough customers to upgrade. If Adobe was smart, they would price their software and upgrades more reasonably, and concentrate on improving their products.

Adobe used to be a good company several years ago. Then they turned into a greedy monster. This is their worst move yet. I hope the 'subscription only' plan fails miserably and the current management gets axed, along with the whole greedy mindset.

May 06 13 04:57 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

I was just on the Adobe website, it says...

"Annual Committment, Billed Monthly"

May 06 13 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

FJR Photography

Pekin, Indiana, US

A-M-P wrote:
If they do this I sure as hell wont be signing up for no monthly payments. I hate subscriptions of any kind. They will loose me and many as customers.

Right with you, I'll use CS6 until I upgrade to an unsupported camera or new OS and then I will find another software. ADOBE ain't the only show in town.

May 06 13 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Everyone should go to the Adobe facebook page and let them hear you roar!!! big_smile

May 06 13 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Philip of Dallas

Dallas, Texas, US

For those that don't see this as a problem, consider this scenario . . .

You've become dependent on using Adobe's subscription only software. One day, Adobe decides they need to make even more profit, so they double the cost of your monthly subscription.

If you don't think something like this could happen, you don't know Adobe.

May 06 13 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Edge of the Moon

New York, New York, US

Jose Deida wrote:
Dear Phase one Capture One ,

Please step in,
and kickass! big_smile

Adobe .....  the Monsanto of multimedia and creative software. "FINGER"

I love CaptureOne.  Adobe needs real competition to make them wake up.

I have CS5 and won't be upgrading at all.  CS5 suits me just fine for now.

This Adobe idea of cloud computing I believe is a disaster.  Looks like many corporations want to push users into this new paradigm.  Problem is from what I read, most users hate the cloud.  This includes me.

May 06 13 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

CameraSight

Roselle Park, New Jersey, US

Great..   another  monthly  payment
cable, internet, phone    ( maybe bundled)
now
Photoshop CC
and they can increase their rates any time, like  cable
their  excuse ... we   added  more  awesome  features

For those photograhers  who are being paid by their "client"  they can  pass the cost to the clients  and build it into the invoice
but  for the rest.. Forgetta'Bout It,    LOL
Give us  a choice

May 06 13 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

T A X I

West Covina, California, US

I'm on CS3 but I will be upgrading to CS6 in the next 30 days then wanning myself off the Abode. No more Adobe for me.  The news of this honestly made me angry. Adobe makes a lot in profit with their current business model: force users to upgrade every 3-5 years. But its clear they will make even more under this new one. Adobe want sto treat me like a drug addict-- giving me only a little of something I need (30 mo. validation).

So I've made the decision to go *offline* with a dedicated machine for my all editing. No internet connection. Increases speed, reduces chance of viruses and cuts off douchebag companies with greedy-ass executives.

Hate the idea.

May 06 13 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Email I sent to a friend also complaining about what they are doing.

Unless they get really smart and advance Lightroom + Elements to be the PS for advanced hobbyists, and CC is for the Pro making 60k+ net, from photography.
Wait till they realize that 2/3rds of PS users are hobbyists who will not and cannot afford to be locked into spending $240/yr for a program that stops working if you do not continue to subscribe.
I have a friend still using PS7, not CS anything, and he can do anything I can do, just takes him a little longer.

Time to buy Adobe stock. Every-time a company gets greedy the stock goes up, investors only see the potential extra profits. Backlash will take 2 years.
The first year they will see a major increase in sales, as it is cheaper for a neewb to get into the full package for only $240. It will take a couple of years for them to realize what they are locked into, and in those 2 years everybody that Adobe put out of business will be coming back (if they  are smart). Also in those first couple of years up-dates will not happen, so they will lose that income, and people will stay away in droves. Four years from now, people may say, that the advancements in CC? is so much better then CS6 that they have to get it, so likely 30% will jump in, unless there is a good alternative.

Greed sometimes wins.

However, MySpace was the social networking site till they started ignoring the needs of their customers and a predatory thief came in with FaceBook. Byebye MySpace.
Or Yahoo as the defacto search engine getting wiped out (almost) by Google.
Or. Or.

Of course if you have made a billion dollars, before the company disappears, do you really care?
And some of these new billionaires are that because of the stock value they own.
The smart ones have converted their stock into other assets. Before their greed causes the bottom to drop out.

May 06 13 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

FJR Photography

Pekin, Indiana, US

T A X I wrote:
I'm on CS3 but I will be upgrading to CS6 in the next 30 days then wanning myself off the Abode. No more Adobe for me.  The news of this honestly made me angry. Adobe makes a lot in profit with their current business model: force users to upgrade every 3-5 years. But its clear they will make even more under this new one. Adobe want sto treat me like a drug addict-- giving me only a little of something I need (30 mo. validation).

So I've made the decision to go *offline* with a dedicated machine for my all editing. No internet connection. Increases speed, reduces chance of viruses and cuts off douchebag companies with greedy-ass executives.

Hate the idea.

From what I hear , you better find CS6 NOW, or you may be SOL.

May 06 13 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

beta

Nashville, Tennessee, US

This is going to kill many secondary school programs... Before June 25 it is 19 per month for students and teachers, after that it looks like it will be 30 a seat per month. That is a lot of dough for a semesters worth of fun & learning in an elective class...

May 06 13 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

CameraSight

beta wrote:
This is going to kill many secondary school programs... Before June 25 it is 19 per month for students and teachers, after that it looks like it will be 30 a seat per month. That is a lot of dough for a semesters worth of fun & learning in an elective class...

+1

May 06 13 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

Edge of the Moon wrote:
I love CaptureOne.  Adobe needs real competition to make them wake up.

I have CS5 and won't be upgrading at all.  CS5 suits me just fine for now.

This Adobe idea of cloud computing I believe is a disaster.  Looks like many corporations want to push users into this new paradigm.  Problem is from what I read, most users hate the cloud.  This includes me.

People think they have to upload file to Adobe's Cloud and that the programs are used online and you have to have an internet connection to use them.
This is NOT true..  You download the programs and use them like any other program you might have on your computer. 

Adobe requires you to access the internet every 37 days MAX and it'll update the subscription. As long you get online once a month you're fine.  The subsciption is $30 a month for the first year,  for users who own previous versions of an Adobe program.  After the first year, the monthly cost goes to about $50 a month.

I have the subscription. I like it. The more I use it the more I get sucked and and I don't care. BUT as was mentioned, I charge it off as a business expense. 

Frankly, Adobe would do much better to promote the subscription and allow people to make up their own decision, instead of shoving it down their throats.. 

I contacted Adobe and got a hold of their Director of Customer Care. She contacted me back almost immediately.   I wrote a long email to her saying that the policy is short-sighted and heavy handed.  However, I doubt it'll have much influence on them.

May 06 13 06:14 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I can't see any savings in their price structure for only PS.  Even $20/mo. is $240 a year and I bought the upgrade for $199 and it lasts until I ditch it, or in their usual 1.5 year software update schedule (Which would be $360 for the upgrade via the subscription route, or almost twice what I got it for now?).  Show me the savings 'cause I ain't seeing it?

And yeah, subscriptions never go down - unless you threaten to drop them.  AT&T started out at $14.95/mo. and now it's up to $70 month.  Plus, they got rid of services like Usenet, Worldnet (where some had websites and photo storage), and their old Worldnet email addresses and never gave them back so whatever you bought online that had a serial number attached to it was gone forever.  I lost software in their new "assigned email" thing where the companies couldn't locate it or respond to me so they wanted me "To buy it again."  Swell.  But their prices went up while their goods and services got less.

Cell phones the same.  Started at $32/mo. and I dropped off when they got to $100 month (Friend pays $450/mo. to Verizon which I think is stupid, and it keeps going up.).  Satellite was $60 month and hit $100/mo. too.  Satellite radio the same thing.  So was cable.

Adobe's leased software subscription introductory price is no doubt going to go the same route - UP.  It's a substantial price hike no matter what.  Why teachers, who can afford to buy it, get a steep discount is beyond me too verses a photographer or a starving artist illustrator.  I can understand kids buying it for school, but teachers?  Most I know are college profs and one made close to one half million last year in grants, books, and teaching.  He can afford to buy the full version and write it off, but some lowly photographer cannot get a break as the teachers do to write it off.  Wish they'd dump the entire "You're special, so it's this cheaper price for you" thing.

Didn't they pull some Creative Suite Upgrade where you could not go back down the software chain (i.e. Get rid of some software unused software like Audition or Dreamweaver.) but only remain with the same full Creative Suite upgrade?

I also thought Kodak tried doing the same Cloud thing just with photos and it flopped. AT&T Worldnet is no more either.

Cripes.  Next Epson, HP, and Canon will enter and pull some "metered-printing" scam and you'll pay for your prints and/or documents coming out of your printer via The Cloud's "Printer Meter in the Sky."  Some will think, "Oh, it's great as they lowered the price of their ridiculously price ink and at $1 a print or page that isn't bad."

hmmm...  Some reason I couldn't get into their Facebook comments site.  Moderated maybe, blocked, or flooded?

May 06 13 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Pantelis Palios wrote:
Gimp?

Reason to take GIMP commercial.
Thanks Adobe.

May 06 13 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

Herman Surkis wrote:
[i]However, MySpace was the social networking site till the started ignoring the needs of their customers and a predatory thief came in with FaceBook. Byebye MySpace.
Or Yahoo as the defacto search engine getting wiped out (almost) by Google.
Or. Or.[i/]

True.. I actually used the same example of Yahoo, also look at HP, Dell, Microsoft and even Apply has slipped a bit.   I mentioned that big companies that forget who their market base will eventually faulter.

May 06 13 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Teila K Day Photography

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

Marin Photography wrote:
Bad idea, I don't like it. I don't want to log onto the internet to edit. I don't care about being able to use it on any PC and what happens when I can't access the internet? I also don't want to spend $50 a month for it. That ends up being more expensive in the long term.

Actually it's a *great* idea if you're a business like Adobe.  Adobe doesn't make money off of people buying Photoshop every 3-5 years.  So much more money to be made via subscription "buy it or not" offering.

I don't like the whole cloud thing when it comes to software/plugins but I can't knock it from a business stand point one bit.  It makes perfect business sense.

Lastly, Adobe is in business to make money, not to satisfy you or I or others who only sporadically purchase photoshop or the entire suite.

I've been using Photoshop since day one, but have only purchased 3 of their suites because I use the software until it no longer meets my needs or when other features are too advantageous to pass up.  That's a poor business customer for Adobe.  Adobe would've made so much more money off of me via subscription right?   Right.

That's Adobe's point.  It's a darn good point.

May 06 13 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

CameraSight

Herman Surkis wrote:

Reason to take GIMP commercial.
Thanks Adobe.

+1

May 06 13 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

If people are worried about new camera updates and not being able to have access to the latest ACR, PhaseONE CaptureONE PRO is superb alternative to ACR.

May 06 13 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Vincent_L

The Studio_1953 wrote:

Capture One Pro does have a brush tool for local adjustments and it's also has layers. Take a look through their blog.

http://blog.phaseone.com/

Thanks for the heads up. Just downloaded Capture One and will give it a try. Even if it's almost as good as Photoshop I'll buy it just to support the competition. The $299 full retail price is about the same as what Adobe currently wants me to pay them every year for Photoshop.

May 06 13 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Teila K Day Photography

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

GRMACK wrote:
I can't see any savings in their price structure for only PS.  Even $20/mo. is $240 a year and I bought the upgrade for $199 and it lasts until I ditch it, or in their usual 1.5 year software update schedule (Which would be $360 for the upgrade via the subscription route, or almost twice what I got it for now?).  Show me the savings 'cause I ain't seeing it?

And yeah, subscriptions never go down - unless you threaten to drop them.  AT&T started out at $14.95/mo. and now it's up to $70 month.  Plus, they got rid of services like Usenet, Worldnet (where some had websites and photo storage), and their old Worldnet email addresses and never gave them back so whatever you bought online that had a serial number attached to it was gone forever.  I lost software in their new "assigned email" thing where the companies couldn't locate it or respond to me so they wanted me "To buy it again."  Swell.  But their prices went up while their goods and services got less.

Cell phones the same.  Started at $32/mo. and I dropped off when they got to $100 month (Friend pays $450/mo. to Verizon which I think is stupid, and it keeps going up.).  Satellite was $60 month and hit $100/mo. too.  Satellite radio the same thing.  So was cable.

Adobe's leased software subscription introductory price is no doubt going to go the same route - UP.  It's a substantial price hike no matter what.  Why teachers, who can afford to buy it, get a steep discount is beyond me too verses a photographer or a starving artist illustrator.  I can understand kids buying it for school, but teachers?  Most I know are college profs and one made close to one half million last year in grants, books, and teaching.  He can afford to buy the full version and write it off, but some lowly photographer cannot get a break as the teachers do to write it off.  Wish they'd dump the entire "You're special, so it's this cheaper price for you" thing.

Didn't they pull some Creative Suite Upgrade where you could not go back down the software chain (i.e. Get rid of some software unused software like Audition or Dreamweaver.) but only remain with the same full Creative Suite upgrade?

I also thought Kodak tried doing the same Cloud thing just with photos and it flopped. AT&T Worldnet is no more either.

Cripes.  Next Epson, HP, and Canon will enter and pull some "metered-printing" scam and you'll pay for your prints and/or documents coming out of your printer via The Cloud's "Printer Meter in the Sky."  Some will think, "Oh, it's great as they lowered the price of their ridiculously price ink and at $1 a print or page that isn't bad."

hmmm...  Some reason I couldn't get into their Facebook comments site.  Moderated maybe, blocked, or flooded?

The starving photographer/illustrator isn't the one paying Adobe's bills.  Businesses, etc. are the money makers.  Small time photographers, etc., are but a tick on the dog.

Adobe will likely make more via subscription from photographers at large than they ever have before by forcing people who want the product to actually pay to use it.

Sure, I like owning physical software (cd), but that kind of business model doesn't make Adobe the most money.  Surely by now you've figured out that Adobe isn't in business to pass on a great "savings" to you or I... Adobe is in business to reap great profits, and to do that, they are arguably going in the right direction whether you and I like it or not.

I don't like it, but I sure do understand it from a business stand point.

May 06 13 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

https://content.screencast.com/users/michaelpduvall/folders/Jing/media/1463f408-2dbb-407f-99d5-7031731e4d4d/00000036.png

May 06 13 06:33 pm Link