Forums > Critique > Which Vintage shot should go in my port?

Model

Tiffany Bond

Posts: 76

West Jordan, Utah, US

Did a recent shoot and now I'm at a loss for which one to pick. Not sure if I'm going to pick one or do a medley image of more than one.


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/illusions_wolf/Vintage/40s8_zps1e2bfdf3.jpeg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/illusions_wolf/Vintage/40s3_zps9f0f398d.jpeg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/illusions_wolf/Vintage/40s2_zps62d8923e.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/illusions_wolf/Vintage/40s_zpsecb34951.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/illusions_wolf/Vintage/40s6_zps44694c50.jpg

May 14 13 10:15 pm Link

Model

Daniel Pierce

Posts: 629

Burbank, California, US

#2

May 14 13 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Geo Leon Photography

Posts: 142

Orlando, Florida, US

Agreed #2. It shows more emotion. Also the composition is good!

May 14 13 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Posts: 5210

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

I'm not sure I really like any of them Tiffany. sad

Neither am I sure any of them would improve your port (except to maybe to replace the Avatar pic).

If pushed, and to answer you question, I'd go with # 2.

May 14 13 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

Wesley Norman Studios

Posts: 51

Mount Clemens, Michigan, US

Drew Smith Photography wrote:
I'm not sure I really like any of them Tiffany. sad

Neither am I sure any of them would improve your port (except to maybe to replace the Avatar pic).

If pushed, and to answer you question, I'd go with # 2.

I have to agree with Drew here.
I don't like any of them for your port. You look uncomfortable in everyone of those photos. #2 you look semi-comfortable. They won't do anything to improve your port.

Also the background; Is that a BED SHEET? You seriously see all the wrinkles in it. The photographer should of use Photoshop for the backdrop to turn it all black...
but the wrinkled backdrop and the yucky gray color is distracting to the actual photo.

Ultra Shot Studios

May 15 13 01:35 am Link

Photographer

Bernadette Newberry

Posts: 130

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

I'm really not feeling these either, but my favorites of the bunch are 3 and 4.

May 15 13 01:52 am Link

Model

Tiffany Bond

Posts: 76

West Jordan, Utah, US

I need it for a versatility thing mostly, and I have a ton of old stuff in my port that needs to go, so I'm replacing it with some new works (though the funny thing is that the Avatar picture is one of the ones people I've asked on the forums keep telling me to keep). The backdrop on the headshots isn't material at all, it's just a flat black backdrop. The other backdrop that is fabric isn't a sheet either, but I'm not sure what it was. Just a thick black backdrop in a studio setting. That being said, I might be able to fix it myself in photoshop, it's just hard to know what's overstepping my boundaries.

Feedback is good so far guys smile

May 15 13 04:17 am Link

guide forum

Model

Anna Adrielle

Posts: 18763

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

2 and 4

May 15 13 04:29 am Link

Photographer

S A L I N G E R

Posts: 604

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

2 for me too. Lovely posing throughout.

May 15 13 05:50 am Link

Photographer

Martin Coombes

Posts: 116

Goslar, Lower Saxony, Germany

Number 4 smile

May 15 13 05:56 am Link

Model

NicoleNudes

Posts: 3861

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

2 and 4.

As a side note, looking at your portfolio, I think that you need more full length shots - which is why 2 is a good choice.

May 15 13 06:50 am Link

Photographer

dreamcatcher

Posts: 22

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

#4, #2 and #5 for me (in this order), all of them good work though wink

May 15 13 07:00 am Link

Model

winking_wonder

Posts: 5637

New York, New York, US

I think #2 and #4 are lovely.

May 15 13 07:40 am Link

Model

W I L L O W

Posts: 343

Portland, Oregon, US

I think #2, but your mouth is the same in all of them, and I don't think it flatters you. It makes you look anxious.

May 15 13 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Joseph William

Posts: 2027

Chicago, Illinois, US

I am going to say #2 also.

May 15 13 09:42 am Link

Photographer

MMS Photography

Posts: 6

Salwā', Hawallī, Kuwait

#3

May 15 13 10:03 am Link

Model

Tiffany Bond

Posts: 76

West Jordan, Utah, US

W I L L O W wrote:
I think #2, but your mouth is the same in all of them, and I don't think it flatters you. It makes you look anxious.

I agree with the mouth being the same, you're right. I think we tried close-lipped and it didn't look as relaxed as the open-lip. My lips naturally just part when I'm relaxed, so I think I need to work on close-lipped without tension hmm

Thanks guys! I think unanimously it seems to be the second one as being the most popular of the bunch, so I'll probably go with that.

Edit: So background-wise, do the ruches in the backdrop need to be fixed pretty badly? I never really mind ruching in backdrops, so to me, I never really pay that much attention to it.

May 15 13 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

John Draper

Posts: 87

Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Definitely #2

May 15 13 03:32 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Colorado

Posts: 6250

Castle Rock, Colorado, US

I have to agree with the other, I don't really like any of them. They don't fit YOU they look a little odd to me.

May 15 13 03:46 pm Link

Model

W I L L O W

Posts: 343

Portland, Oregon, US

Tiffany Bond wrote:
I agree with the mouth being the same, you're right. I think we tried close-lipped and it didn't look as relaxed as the open-lip. My lips naturally just part when I'm relaxed, so I think I need to work on close-lipped without tension hmm

Thanks guys! I think unanimously it seems to be the second one as being the most popular of the bunch, so I'll probably go with that.

Edit: So background-wise, do the ruches in the backdrop need to be fixed pretty badly? I never really mind ruching in backdrops, so to me, I never really pay that much attention to it.

I don't see any problems with the background at all.

With a relaxed close-lipped look, I push my lips out in a kissy face, then let them fall naturally to barely touching with the corners turned a TINY bit up. Ends up giving you full lips with a relaxed, soft expression.

Your figure is beautiful!!

May 15 13 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Modstudios

Posts: 1158

Beavercreek, Ohio, US

Drew Smith Photography wrote:
I'm not sure I really like any of them Tiffany. sad

Neither am I sure any of them would improve your port (except to maybe to replace the Avatar pic).

If pushed, and to answer you question, I'd go with # 2.

+1

May 15 13 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

photographybyfrank

Posts: 455

Clearwater, Florida, US

Tiffany Bond wrote:
Did a recent shoot and now I'm at a loss for which one to pick. Not sure if I'm going to pick one or do a medley image of more than one.


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/illusions_wolf/Vintage/40s8_zps1e2bfdf3.jpeg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/illusions_wolf/Vintage/40s3_zps9f0f398d.jpeg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/illusions_wolf/Vintage/40s2_zps62d8923e.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/illusions_wolf/Vintage/40s_zpsecb34951.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/illusions_wolf/Vintage/40s6_zps44694c50.jpg

May 21 13 05:52 am Link

Photographer

photographybyfrank

Posts: 455

Clearwater, Florida, US

photographybyfrank wrote:

May 21 13 05:53 am Link