Forums > General Industry > Why would other members do this?

Photographer

BMsPhotography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Hi all, this is a bit of a rant!!

I am only new here. Over the last 3-4 weeks, 3 photographers have sent me emails telling me I should not be here. In general there comments have been that I am only an amateur, my pics are rubbish, I give photographers a bad name. They appear to be local to my area.
WHAT THE HELL!!!

They know who they are and for their information I have only done 3 shoots. No one has contacted me for work. I made contact with the llamas my self. Hardly think I am stealing work from them lol.

Hey I don't mind constructive critism but don't personally bag me.

Why would they feel this way. I am hardly a threat, their skills are far better than mine. I made the mistake, I guess, of putting my own email up for contact. (since removed)

Have I done something wrong here? We all got to start somewhere lol.

Anyway Rant over, thanks for reading
Mal

May 16 13 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Roberto Inetti

Dallas, Texas, US

Probably they are douchebags.

This post doesn't help at all either. Just ignore them and keep shooting.

Best.

May 16 13 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Joseph William

Chicago, Illinois, US

That is really weird, they must have formed some kind of vigilante port quality group.  Perhaps they see that you are offering to pay models and they are afraid local models will stop doing TF if you are paying...

honestly ignore them

May 16 13 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photography

Oakland, California, US

If I were you I'd  do more shoots and do exactly what you have been doing and keep on learning.

Hate mail makes great wallpaper.

smile

May 16 13 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

ForeverFotos

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

BMsPhotography wrote:

I am only new here. Over the last 3-4 weeks, 3 photographers have sent me emails telling me I should not be here. In general there comments have been that I am only an amateur, my pics are rubbish, I give photographers a bad name. They appear to be local to my area.
WHAT THE HELL!!!

They know who they are and for their information I have only done 3 shoots. No one has contacted me for work. I made contact with the models my self. Hardly think I am stealing work from them lol.

Why would they feel this way. I am hardly a threat, their skills are far better than mine. I made the mistake, I guess, of putting my own email up for contact. (since removed)

Mal

"if you are looking to have some shots taken but don't want to pay the photographer, contact me.

This quote from your profile could be part of the problem. Evidently, those other photographers feel threatened. You've already taken the first step by removing your email addy. You might want to block the people who are harassing you, but that's about all you can do. I wouldn't give in to them by removing the text I quoted above.

Ignore them, maybe they'll go away, but don't count on it. I've been stalked by one particular photographer on here and his buddies for well over 5 years now. Just keep on giving them a reason to be jealous. Good luck

May 16 13 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

if you were really a non-factor in the local market i doubt they'd waste any time on you. the fact that they're targeting you means you got their attention. just hit block and keep on truckin'

regarding doing TF, around here there are pro photographers with 40 years experience who will do TF with models. photographers have their reasons for doing TF.

May 16 13 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Ronald N. Tan

Los Angeles, California, US

Mal,

This is what I would do, if I were in your position.

Dedicate an hour day to not only read photography books, but also practice your exposure and composition skills.

Invest in a good photo-editing (and retouching) program like Lightroom and learn to color correct and enhance your images with contrast and dodging and burning. No one have the right to be denigrating towards you and it shows those people's characters about themselves.

Learn to transform your snapshots and unprofessional images to professional-quality portraits. Learn to use available light and reflectors. If you have a car, chances are . . . you have a foil or metallic reflector to protect your dashboard from heat. You know what? Use that reflector in your photography exercises.

—Ron

BMsPhotography wrote:

WHAT THE HELL!!!

They know who they are and for their information I have only done 3 shoots. No one has contacted me for work. I made contact with the models my self. Hardly think I am stealing work from them lol.

Mal

May 16 13 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

A Preppy Photography

San Jose, California, US

People on Internet Forums will be D-Bags no matter what, from Reddit, to Facebook, to DeviantArt, to 500px. Welcome to the Mayhem!

Take it with a grain of salt, remove the pictures they bitch-out, take more pics, and post the best ones.

Then outright tell them, "If it's so bad, what would you have done differently?" Do it, post it, make it your own.

May 16 13 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Cody Augustine

Vancouver, Washington, US

Keep on shooting, Brother!  What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger!

May 16 13 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

JAMES ROSS PHOTOGRAPHIX

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Mal,

Welcome to Model Mayhem!  I wish you much success with your photography venture.

Don't take the comments personal Mal, you unfortunately and unknowingly have entered into a forum that has lots of slithering and poisonous snakes.  (There are MANY nice people here as well).

The exact same thing happened to me a few days ago in this very same forum.  It was also my very first posting ever and like yours, quite the experience.

It was like shark fest or a dog pile with one insult after another from the "gang" members.  The more I responded, the more cruel and vicious they became.  The mentality and actions of common lowlife street thugs.

I'm not quite sure what makes certain people think they are the arbiters of what is "proper behavior" or the content and style of your messages.  It is also quite telling when others pass judgement on the quality of another's photography.  Many of those whom do this should perhaps do their own reality checks.

Hang in there Mal. Just know that you have support here also. Moderators ARE actually aware of what's happening here and actually DO take action when needed. (I did not even have to contact them first)  It may have even been worse for you, but as I understand, a few of the worst abusers in this forum are now gone.  KUDOS to Model Mayhem!!

James

May 16 13 06:05 pm Link

Model

The Original Sin

Louisville, Kentucky, US

KISS THE GIRL MODELS  wrote:
Mal,

Welcome to Model Mayhem!  I wish you much success with your photography venture.

Don't take the comments personal Mal, you unfortunately and unknowingly have entered into a forum that has lots of slithering and poisonous snakes.  (There are MANY nice people here as well).

The exact same thing happened to me a few days ago in this very same forum.  It was also my very first posting ever and like yours, quite the experience.

It was like shark fest or a dog pile with one insult after another from the "gang" members.  The more I responded, the more cruel and vicious they became.  The mentality and actions of common lowlife street thugs.

I'm not quite sure what makes certain people think they are the arbiters of what is "proper behavior" or the content and style of your messages.  It is also quite telling when others pass judgement on the quality of another's photography.  Many of those whom do this should perhaps do their own reality checks.

Hang in there Mal. Just know that you have support here also. Moderators ARE actually aware of what's happening here and actually DO take action when needed. (I did not even have to contact them first)  It may have even been worse for you, but as I understand, a few of the worst abusers in this forum are now gone.  KUDOS to Model Mayhem!!

James

I think his OP was talking about PRIVATE messages- not forum attacks.

May 16 13 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Gibraltar, Michigan, US

Tell them to eat a bag of french fried baby dicks

May 16 13 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

BrooklynHill

Los Angeles, California, US

We all gotta start somewhere. Most of our work has improved dramatically since first joining or picking up a camera. That's pretty rude of them to take shots at you, especially if you didn't ask.

May 16 13 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Go to the PM's and at the bottom of the page select "Flag this PM sender." I guess if someone gets enough flags the Mods get involved.

May 16 13 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

zaxpix

New Brunswick, New Jersey, US

Haters gonna hate.

Ballers gonna ball.

Keep ballin'.

Z.

May 16 13 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Mazzone Fotograf

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

Work on your lighting, and focusing, but most importantly keep shooting and have fun.  Great start on your port.

May 16 13 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel Arouchian

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Just ignore them! smile

May 16 13 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

The F-Stop

New York, New York, US

Just have fun n learn as you go.

enjoy!

May 16 13 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

JAMES ROSS PHOTOGRAPHIX

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

The F-Stop wrote:
Just have fun n learn as you go.

enjoy!

GREAT ADVISE!!! smile

May 16 13 07:06 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

When I worked in one camera store, it was common for local fotogs to take shots at each other.  Some even sued others over zoning restrictions (Working out of their house for example.) to get them out of the business.  Others over school photo accounts.  Some refused to come into our store since another local pro came in and shopped there.  Some "accidentally" (more like intentionally) knocked over other's gear at weddings and came in for repair and we heard the story.  They really do hate each other and local camera club had a couple of them show up on the same night for judging and it turned into being a big uproar as one was an understudy who ran off with the other's commercial accounts.

Heck, watch "America's Top Model" for all the model hate in the background.  No doubt the MUAH people go through the same stuff too.

This stuff happens in business.  Not much you can do about it other than ignore it, or jump in the pot with the same mess.  Won't matter if you become the next Ansel Adams, they will still target you over something.

I saw one forum where the guy under attack responded with the exact same form letter to anyone.  It got humorous after the thirtieth one as some learned he was mocking them on.  Then they all gave up.  Went along the lines of: "Thank you for the response.  I am trying to do better.  Hopefully I will soon learn to be as good as you."  It was exactly the same quick response no matter the counter-post or if a  question was asked of him or some rant.  It took the fuel out of the storm as anyone knew what was coming out of him next - and it did.

May 16 13 07:16 pm Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

SPRINGHEEL  wrote:
Tell them to eat a bag of french fried baby dicks

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha haaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

May 16 13 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Beyond the Physical

HAZLET, New Jersey, US

Unsolicited feedback and flaming are not allowed on Mayhem ... I suggest that you contact a Moderator here

http://www.ripoffreport.com

May 16 13 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Will Snizek Photography

Beckley, West Virginia, US

BMsPhotography wrote:

WHAT THE HELL!!!

Mal

Sadly this is the Internet and there are a lot of miserable jerks anywhere you go online.  I used to worry about what other people thought about me and my choices in life, but once I hit my 30s I started caring less.  It's still a process for me, but I want to get to the point where other people's negative opinions don't matter to me.  These people get enjoyment out of treating others like crap.  The best thing to do is do your shit in life the way you see fit and let all the naysayers and haters swim in their own little hate filled world by themselves.  Externally driven people don't lead memorable or noteworthy lives very often so I feel bad for them in ways.

May 16 13 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

GordonsLife Photo

White Plains, New York, US

Death of Field wrote:
If I were you I'd  do more shoots and do exactly what you have been doing and keep on learning.

smile

+1 people are dicks especially anonymously or from a distance outside ball kicking range. smile  Success is the best revenge.  Do your own thing and live your own life and do not care what detractors say.  Their petty little lives are vengeance enough.

May 16 13 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

GordonsLife Photo

White Plains, New York, US

Death of Field wrote:

smile

+1 people are dicks especially anonymously or from a distance outside ball kicking range. smile  Success is the best revenge.  Do your own thing and live your own life and do not care what detractors say.  Their petty little lives are vengeance enough.

May 16 13 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

It doesn't take long before you find out there's no shortage of bitter dicks who jump into photography forums, spew unsolicited, un-constructive negativity.. little big men who hide behind their computers to start arguments for no reason other than they find it entertaining to stir the pot. In those cases.. consider the source. Unfortunately that goes for lots of photography forums, not jut MM.

On the other hand, there are lots of kind, helpful people out there who "get" that the spirit of these communities are to share, and support each other. Really try and brush off the A holes, don't fight back and play into the arguments.. that's exactly what they want.. to get a reaction, because, if you look at "their" portfolios, they probably have nothing better to do.

Continue to be a community member that is positive and supportive in the field that you love. :-)

May 16 13 07:47 pm Link

Model

Gina Dee

BRONX, New York, US

If the local baker feeds his family by selling baked goods and gets wind of somebody walking around their neighborhood giving away cupcakes and layer cakes for free they're gonna take offense.

I'm sure you don't mean any harm but you're likely looked upon as somebody that's devaluing the local photography economy by offering your services not at a competitive rate, but for free.

If you want to keep the peace you might reword that clause in your profile. But it's not like you're doing something illegal. Keep shooting. Enjoy yourself and get better.

May 16 13 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

That's hilarious.

I almost want to delete my entire portfolio, upload some pictures of cell phone pics, switch my location to your area, and then see if they contact me. It'd be like fishing for trolls. Then if someone did I'd be like "SIKE, I'm actually AWESOME, gotcha! douchebags!"

:p

Best way to deal with any negativity is to turn it on their heads and make a joke out of it. That'll mess with em

May 16 13 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Ormond Beach, Florida, US

Here is a common psychological phenomenon and something worth remembering in life.....

Non-constructive criticism usually comes from an inner feeling of deep inadequacy. 

So....since there is nothing you can do or say to make them feel better about themselves, just ignore them and do your thing.

May 16 13 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Will Snizek Photography

Beckley, West Virginia, US

Gina Redd wrote:
If the local baker feeds his family by selling baked goods and gets wind of somebody walking around their neighborhood giving away cupcakes and layer cakes for free they're gonna take offense.

I'm sure you don't mean any harm but you're likely looked upon as somebody that's devaluing the local photography economy by offering your services not at a competitive rate, but for free.

If you want to keep the peace you might reword that clause in your profile. But it's not like you're doing something illegal. Keep shooting. Enjoy yourself and get better.

If someone making a full living off photography is threatened by someone who is in the amateur arena, then they don't have much confidence in their skills.  That's their problem.  It's not someone else's problem.  There have been pro photographers, semi-pro photographers and amateur photographers since the beginning of photography.  If you feel threatened by someone else's photography, that's a personal problem.

The real good photographers elevate their game and will always make money.  They don't waste time worrying about others.

May 16 13 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

BMsPhotography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

WOW WOW WOW!!!!!

Thanks so much for all your positive and encouraging posts smile

I am overwhelmed. I thought a few might respond but not this many, wow!

I am heading out the door now with my gear, you have inspired me.

Cheers everyone
Mal smile

May 16 13 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Gavin Poh

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

BMsPhotography wrote:
WOW WOW WOW!!!!!

Thanks so much for all your positive and encouraging posts smile

I am overwhelmed. I thought a few might respond but not this many, wow!

I am heading out the door now with my gear, you have inspired me.

Cheers everyone
Mal smile

Keep shooting mal.
Im in adelaide every now and then, let me know if you ever wanna shoot together and ill bring my gear down too.

May 16 13 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Ed Woodson Photography

Savannah, Georgia, US

When I first started 3 years ago, one of the local Pro's called me out.  Said that people like me were ruining the photography business.

I told him that if he was that worried about me that maybe he should be thinking the "he" might be in the wrong business.

I wouldn't worry about any of the crap you're getting.  Just do your thing.  If you're scaring them, maybe they're not very confident in their own abilities.

I don't claim to be a good photographer.  I just been working hard trying to pretend to be one.

May 16 13 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Ronald Nyein Zaw Tan wrote:
Mal,

This is what I would do, if I were in your position.

Dedicate an hour day to not only read photography books, but also practice your exposure and composition skills.

Invest in a good photo-editing (and retouching) program like Lightroom and learn to color correct and enhance your images with contrast and dodging and burning. No one have the right to be denigrating towards you and it shows those people's characters about themselves.

Learn to transform your snapshots and unprofessional images to professional-quality portraits. Learn to use available light and reflectors. If you have a car, chances are . . . you have a foil or metallic reflector to protect your dashboard from heat. You know what? Use that reflector in your photography exercises.

—Ron

Wow, unsolicited critique.
???

May 16 13 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Just the fact that the local dilwads are threatened by the new kid on the block says volumes about them and their level of self esteem, and their level of insecurity. 

Just let it run off your back.  Photography is a continual learning experience.  If you keep raising your sights it never becomes boring. 

If they continue to harass you, you might invite them to attempt seduction of a rolling piece of pastry while airborne (I.E. Try a flying f*** at a rolling doughnut).

If they spend more time chafing about you, than honing their own skills, their own work will suffer.

Best

May 16 13 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

JAMES ROSS PHOTOGRAPHIX

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

THANK GOD for our gatekeepers and moderators whom are watching these haters and their cruel and self serving motivations.

Many of these losers spend very little time actually shooting images or working within the photographic trade.  This is how they get off as they drool and laugh over their hateful comments.

It is extremely refreshing to see so many nice people coming to the aid of one of our new members.  Photographic talent is subjective and everyone is entitled to go through a learning process.  One would "hope" that there were helping hands rather than snide remarks.

I suspect that it is THESE delusional and cowardly thugs who the MODELS speak about all the time.  Guess what....they are NOT as grandiose and cool as they "think' they are. 

Mel...It's VERY COOL that you have received the kind support that you deserved!  Hopefully this will be a strong message for those of you that are just haters.

THANK YOU GATEKEEPERS AND MODERATORS, your intervention is a GREAT thing!

May 16 13 09:01 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Hopkinsville, Kentucky, US

BMsPhotography wrote:

WHAT THE HELL!!!

Mal

They are bullies. I'd block them, and I never have blocked anyone. However, bully jerks...are idiots.
Jen

May 16 13 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

KISS THE GIRL MODELS  wrote:

James

They're not gone.  They're simply in the brig.  It's the probation area for offenders where their posting privileges are removed for a time.

Those "meanies" will be back looking for new innocents to harass soon.

Or... what I mean is that they will be allowed to entertain and enter into reasonable discourse with others while imparting support and information to those asking for it.

Mal,
It takes a good bit of effort for people to seek you out and send you private messages to chastise you.  Never in my time here have I heard of someone new being harassed in this way.  I've certainly never told anyone that they don't belong here.  The only people I've even thought shouldn't be here are those using stolen images or who were otherwise disingenuous about who they were. 

I think anyone has the right to have a profile here, no matter what their skill level.  As long as you're polite and follow the rules here, welcome and enjoy.

May 16 13 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

BMsPhotography wrote:
Over the last 3-4 weeks, 3 photographers have sent me emails telling me I should not be here.

Why does unsolicited critiques from a-hole strangers bothers you?

...  or   ...

If unsolicited critiques from a-hole strangers does bother you, then perhaps they are right & you would be happier if you weren't here.

Every a-hole is entitled to their own (exceedingly wrong, uninformed, and inappropriate) opinion.

I do hope you'll stick around long enough to experience the supportive side of MM.

May 17 13 10:18 am Link

Model

JessieLeigh

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

People do that because they are insecure about their own skills and feel threatened. Sad, really.

May 17 13 10:21 am Link