Forums > Photography Talk > How hard is it for you to get a model?

Photographer

Oscar Partida

Palm Springs, California, US

Easiest thing ..have a couple good photos and they will want to work with you

May 20 13 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Select Models

Upland, California, US

How hard is it for you to get a model?

Pretty darn easy... send'm a message with date of the shoot... and they show up.  And how easy is it for you?... EVEN EASIER... cause I've done all the work for ya... borat

May 20 13 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

ybfoto

Oakland, California, US

few things I would do number one go to group photo shoot in your area. Pay the fee and you get to shoot with different models, maybe even nekkid which is always fun.
Put said photos in your port to get some variation.

Offer some type of compensation in terms of cash

I am going to be blunt if the compensation is only TF and you get nothing then what does that tell you? models don't want what you're offering.

Take out of your profile you mainly shoot weddings children and families, who cares and thats kinda boring. list what you want to shoot here on MM, creative portraiture doesnt count, because really what does that mean  Avoid the words edgy, rock n roll, bad ass etc... it makes you sound old and going through a midlife crisis.

pump the brakes on the themed shoots until you have work that can show you can actually pull it off.

Lastly open your wallet and pay for some experienced models. This helps in two ways. Number one if you have a few well known models in port who couldnt take a bad picture if a drunken child was using the camera that will actually draw interest from newby models. weird I know but there's  a reason why companies have famous people push their products. The second and most important you can improve your skills tremendously.

again not tryin to be a ass but just giving you some no BS advise.

May 20 13 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Hero Foto

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Kerri Sullivan Photo wrote:
One thing you're doing wrong is that you're male. = /   

Sorry. But I'm a female photographer and I've worked with tons of people from MM since I joined the site. We could all have a big argument about whether or not it's right, but I think a lot of young, female models just plain feel more comfortable with female photographers, especially when the photographer is new to MM and just starting out. I have a friend who is a model and she won't work with any males on MM who aren't already established or who haven't worked with someone she knows. I wouldn't be surprised if others don't feel this way, too.

yet, here you are, rubbing his nose in that matriarchal he-woman man haters propaganda ... WOW, just WOW ... -.-

p.s. and not a single MOD called you out on that ... figures

May 21 13 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

To OP --

You're not doing anything wrong. It's just that you're not in a well populated area like So. Calif. or NY. Those two areas have a very large selection of models.

You may want to consider traveling to Florida, NY, or Maryland once a month and get connected with groupshoots.

Just a suggestion.

May 21 13 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Warrenjrphotography

Hammonton, New Jersey, US

Find yourself a cute girlfriend on an online dating site (no joke) and you will a have model for good.

May 21 13 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Neli Hari

Ithaca, New York, US

Oscar Partida wrote:
Easiest thing ..have a couple good photos and they will want to work with you

This big_smile I live in the middle of nowhere,I moved recently so I don;t have a lot of friends, and I shoot TF with MM models a lot. Yeah, I'm not really making masterpieces with agency standard models here, but I think that's more a shortcoming on my end than the models smile

There are about 180 models who have logged in within the last 30days within a 25 mile radius from you.  VS. about 20 for me tongue

Here are some tips that worked for me:
Forget the casting calls, not so many models actually look at them.

Use the browse option. Set up your area and look at everyone who is active. Add friends. Drop a few nice comments on pictures, leave tags. NON generic.

Do this with photographers as well, when you make friends in the community you're more likely to get invites for group shoots and events, recommendations for models, etc/

Read bios fully.  A lot of them are very generic,  but some give you good inside  on how the model feels about TF and what types of shoots she's interested in. Look at their ports to see what level of experience they;ve been working with. This helps narrow down people that are more likely to say yes vs just mass messaging. If someone will only do TF for tearsheets - prob not your gal.

Then based on what you learned message people. Make it a little personal, showing that you've read their profile and want them and not just anyone, but keep it professional. Give a clear idea of what is needed from the model for that shoot. Be nice and polite. Basically use MM to network, rather than just put an ad up and wait for the response.

It will probably also be a good idea to start off with a couple of basic port building shoots before moving on to more conceptual things.

Worked for me so far.

May 22 13 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

WisconsinArt

Nashotah, Wisconsin, US

Don't worry, you're not alone.

I have $15k worth of camera equipment, a studio, make a steady income from photography (but I'll admit I have a day job), have had photos published on novel covers, won photography contests, yada yada yada.

But I'm willing to do TF because I don't get to work with people often and fine art concepts. And I'm willing to work with amateurs. They put out casting calls to "build their port" and want to be treated like divas and expect to walk away with photos that are too good for Maxim.

They look at my port and I never hear back. You won't find many ports like mine, images that are ORIGINAL. But my port is also lacking because I can't get a diverse range of demographics.

And these divas, their ports are nothing but head shots, stiff try-to-be-sexy hands-on-hips crap.

I really feel like venting because I've just been blown off by a plus-size model with an attitude and looks that won't get her very far in the industry. It works the other way too, 99% of the photographers here only want to work with 93 pound 19 year olds who are dying to rip their clothes off and pose nude.

May 22 13 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Port Townsend, Washington, US

Wheeltracks Photography wrote:
Does anyone have any pointers, advice, tips?

i wish to hell i did. i have been unable to get suitable models for some time now. 2-3 years ago they were coming after me. boy, did i take that for granted. now that i am ready to shoot, nothing, zip. it doesn't matter how much i offer, no response. seems that after awhile one has got to accept that they just suck. it's pretty hard to do that. i know. but when everything points to that....

May 22 13 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

nyk fury wrote:

i wish to hell i did. i have been unable to get suitable models for some time now. 2-3 years ago they were coming after me. boy, did i take that for granted. now that i am ready to shoot, nothing, zip. it doesn't matter how much i offer, no response. seems that after awhile one has got to accept that they just suck. it's pretty hard to do that. i know. but when everything points to that....

Why would you believe that.   You have some masterpieces.   I mean that and this from a guy who's taken many art classes.   This site is traveling models who charge a good buck too shoot and women who want too be glamorized and that's not your style.   MM can be feast or famine.   When things are good.   Shoot as much as you can.   Find several muses.   OP, if you see this.   Here's a shooter with stellar work who has problems.   The ideal is to cast a large net.   Keep cards with you.   When I was at the beach last summer women would ask for my number.   Not 'cause I'm a handsome fellow but because they would see me shooting.   I would always forget
them.   This year I won't.

People really believe that money have help.   It may but people aren't as motivated by money as we think.   Not one of the women I met asked about payment and a few wanted too shoot right after I shot my model.

May 22 13 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Why would you believe that.   You have some masterpieces.   I mean that and this from a guy who's taken many art classes.   This site is traveling models who charge a good buck too shoot and women who want too be glamorized and that's not your style.   MM can be feast or famine.   When things are good.   Shoot as much as you can.   Find several muses.

yeah what i do seems to have little value in the mind of most models. i looked at your stuff and what i see is quite brilliant. you make the models look absolutely stunning, even if they really aren't. i don't have that kind of magic. i have offered quite a lot to paid models here, and they have not been interested. that says to me that it is not just about money for these models, and that is certainly something to respect.

May 22 13 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Capitol City Boudoir

Sacramento, California, US

I've been a professional photographer for over 35 years.  I shoot around 300-400 paying clients per year.  Many of them are more that happy to model for me as are their children or other family members. Ninety-five percent of the images in my REAL portfolio, the one that a client sees are from real clients, not from "so-called" models from this site.

If I'm working on a project that's way out of the norm for me and would prefer to work with strangers I usually post a casting call on Craigslist rather than here.  On here, chances are they're going to flake even after agreeing to their rate.

May 22 13 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

nyk fury wrote:

yeah what i do seems to have little value in the mind of most models. i looked at your stuff and what i see is quite brilliant. you make the models look absolutely stunning, even if they really aren't. i don't have that kind of magic. i have offered quite a lot to paid models here, and they have not been interested. that says to me that it is not just about money for these models, and that is certainly something to respect.

nyk, you are a true artist and are producing some very cool imagery but its not what may appeal to many here.   I don't either.   My Photoshop skills are limited.   These ladies want to look like they stepped out of Playboy or Vogue.   If you can't pay them that is.   Some of our better known shooters have a style that they really like or are great looking dudes with fun personalities.   Julian Wilde comes to mind.   He looks like a male model.   Location also plays a part.   Shooters who want to work with fashion level models and don't have a book that opens the door to agencies should go too fashion shows.   Take photos of the runway girls.   They always want images and they will also want too shoot.

I was at the ABS show one year being ignored by all the models and there was this great looking guy shooting.   Women were checking  him out.   He was also a charming fellow.   David Mecey who used too live here and worked for PB.   Fantastic shooter, nice guy and handsome.

May 22 13 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Yeah, that's right hmm

Seriously? I mean, seriously?

Any girl who signs up anywhere as a 'model' and expects not to be working with male photographers really isn't serious about modelling and the OP would do well to avoid her regardless of how desperate he is for somebody to shoot.

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

May 22 13 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

nyk fury wrote:

What happened with the local models that I suggested you contact here last year ?

May 22 13 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Tony Lawrence wrote:
These ladies want to look like they stepped out of Playboy or Vogue.   If you can't pay them that is.   Some of our better known shooters have a style that they really like or are great looking dudes with fun personalities.

i can pay. that's not it...

Tony Lawrence wrote:
I was at the ABS show one year being ignored by all the models and there was this great looking guy shooting.   Women were checking  him out.   He was also a charming fellow.   David Mecey who used too live here and worked for PB.   Fantastic shooter, nice guy and handsome.

...but i am not a 'great looking dude with a fun personality', so what else can we do with this?

May 22 13 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Garry k wrote:
What happened with the local models that I suggested you contact here last year ?

you dropped that conversation in the middle of it. i lost you somewhere, somehow.

edit: i went back and looked. both our computers burped around the same time. now i remember. i was so ill during this past winter, everything is a blur.

May 22 13 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Karim Hernandez

El Paso, Texas, US

Joseph William  wrote:
getting started on MM is kind of a chicken / egg type problem...  You can't get models to shoot with until you have images in your port to show the quality of work you offer, and that you are "safe" to work with.

Pay some models to work with you (put up a casting offering 20 - 40 bucks for 2 hour shoots) try offering your twisted fairy tail shoots, but if no one answers that stick to something more generic like "casual fashion" or "edgy" see if that gets more bites.

once you have some work in your port it should be easier to get folks to TF and or except pay for your shoots

I' m used to talk withfriends, but even when they know your work, they have shame to bein front of the camera!

May 22 13 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

nyk fury wrote:
you dropped that conversation in the middle of it. i lost you somewhere, somehow.

No I think we resumed the convo ( after my computer crashed and I re installed the OS )

check your record of it

I will message you again

May 22 13 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

nyk fury wrote:

Tony Lawrence wrote:
These ladies want to look like they stepped out of Playboy or Vogue.   If you can't pay them that is.   Some of our better known shooters have a style that they really like or are great looking dudes with fun personalities.

i can pay. that's not it...

...but i am not a 'great looking dude with a fun personality', so what else can we do with this?

I'm a average looking guy myself but I see Garry's on the case.   He has some fantastic looking models and I gather goes to fashion shows.

May 22 13 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Tony Lawrence wrote:

I'm a average looking guy myself but I see Garry's on the case.   He has some fantastic looking models and I gather goes to fashion shows.

I am sure you are both better looking and cooler than moi ,but yes -if a photographer is looking for fashion models then fashion shows can be quite rewarding ( I have been to and shot about 700 lol )

May 22 13 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

T-D-L

Los Angeles, California, US

Well....it's modelmayhem.  Can't really expect anyone here to be reliable, or even serious about modeling.  To answer your question: "How easy is it to get models?", well...if I'm contacting professional, working models....fairly easy.  They need to update their books fairly regularly, and know that testing keeps them working.  Same if I contact an agency...probably easier in fact as I'll get a package with several to choose from.  Now, that being said...if I forgot to set up something during a holiday or extended break where agencies and their models are awol, and I have to go through MM....lol, not very likely.

May 22 13 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

KonstantKarma

Hickory, North Carolina, US

Sorry. But I'm a female photographer and I've worked with tons of people from MM since I joined the site. We could all have a big argument about whether or not it's right, but I think a lot of young, female models just plain feel more comfortable with female photographers, especially when the photographer is new to MM and just starting out. I have a friend who is a model and she won't work with any males on MM who aren't already established or who haven't worked with someone she knows. I wouldn't be surprised if others don't feel this way, too.

What are they putting in the water in New Jersey these days?

May 22 13 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

M_M_P

Seattle, Washington, US

So you have a few options for getting around this. You can link up with a female photographer friend (assuming you have such a friend) and plan a shoot with a model together. You can take turns getting some shots of her............

I've been working with models from MM for 7 years and this has not been my experience at all. There are some models who will only shoot with women, just as there are some photographers who will only shoot with women, or men, or whatever else they prefer, but it is an insignificant number in my estimation. I haven't looked at the OP's portfolio, so I'm speaking in general here (not critiquing a specific person), but I strongly believe that the majority of models (working on a trade basis) prefer working with photographers who produce what they are looking for at a high level of quality and will gravitate towards the best photographer for that particular interest. If the model likes alternative images with latex fashion, they will work with a photographer who produces excellent examples of that style. If the model likes fantasy images or cosplay images, that will be the type of photographer he/she will want to work with so long as the images are top notch.

I'd like to think that I'm at least a pretty competent fashion photographer, but I know that if I contact a model who is into blood and guts type images, I will have a difficult time convincing that person to work with me on a trade basis since it isn't what they want. If I contact a model who is looking to work in commercial fashion, I have a very good chance of working with them on a trade basis; I'd estimate 80% or higher will be interested. A person's portfolio should reflect what they wish to shoot and hopefully be a good representation of what they are capable of. If the quality is there to the potential model's liking, and the style is in their range of interests, the chances are excellent that they will want to collaborate. Gender has, in my experience, been a complete non-factor.

May 22 13 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

When I considered shooting models and building a portfolio, I had several different directions to consider: headshots, weddings, and commercial.  I started off shooting trash-the-dress shoots, because for post-wedding photos they are quite popular, and I thought the engagement photo and wedding market might be good. My aim was to build up and then launch and make money.

Since I was an old dinosaur surrounded by young competitive mammals I paid my first three models so I could get on Model Mayhem with a portfolio that would attract models and allow me to do my T-Rex thing.  Location is something that catches the eye. It is not easy work. I paid an assistant so I could have a wider range of shots and get more work done.

On Model Mayhem I have had some pro travelling models express interest in shooting TF with me and because I shoot locations it has a certain appeal.

I get models expressing interest in shooting with me but I have just started making money, and not much yet,  and as I don't have a strong passion for photography I am really focused on moolah and, therefore, TF, is not something that summons my interest.

It may not be realistic but I tell models that if I sell anything I'll split it with them, etc. I suppose in this ramble that I am really starting to zero in on the essentials of photographic success. Focus. Whatever you do, really know it. I could light before I shoot models. I never asked for critique on MM because I already have successful photographer/cinematographer friends who can do that for me. So, when I started,the concepts I had were already market-tested but edgy enough to intrigue models.

Exploiting locations and putting it with a theme that isn't out of a fairy tale book allows you to attract interest. I recall one model who was interested and she was really a part-timer who enjoyed modelling and did want to get serious. So, the shoot was a canyon. I asked if she had any guns because we could do a desperado-on-the-run thing. And now for one of the shots that didn't happen as reality hit the model's life like a truck smashing into a penguin, and so we didn't shoot at all.  An oak tree in the background has a rifle leaning against it. The female model strikes a pose and looks into a hand-held mirror and she looks impressed with herself. She is standing on a body, a male (the model had a husband) and there's blood coming out of his mouth and he's dead. Oh, well, the shots that didn't happen. . .

If you can come up with different, models will hunt you down. And then you'll have to hide out. Practice a lot and focus on the tasks of practice. Photography to me is a craft, an interesting one, and it doesn't always take long to master a craft. If you're a focused dinosaur. . .and want to shoot a fabulous mammal, be engaging, and become authoritative, and don't do many TFS. Maybe 15 at most and then turn pro. Presuming you crack the code, that is.

It's not that hard for me to get models on MM. I finally figured out how to write castings that got their interest.

Oh, one thing that makes some different. Risk-takers. I take risks. You know how you shouldn't get in the water with your camera without some protection for it? I risk the gear as I have to get the shot. I just have to do it. I don't allow models to take risks but I think they get inspired. . .

May 22 13 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

Promotional Genius

New York, New York, US

Wheeltracks, I am going to tell you a few things, some consoling, some being honest, hoping to be of help.  I did study your site as well as your casting calls.
First, IT IS DIFFICULT FOR ANYONE TO GET MODELS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHETHER IT BE PAID OR TRADE.  I work daily on this, on my photo shop & spamming models.  I send out letters to about 100 models a week, through browse.  I offer trades, I offer money.  I get mail, phone calls, but very few models actually show up.  For every model that promises to show up whether it be trade or pay, I would say there are 20 or 30 who stop communicating or 10 who say they will be here & either fail to show up or come up with some lame excuse why they are not coming.  During one year of hard work to get models, daily work, I finally got a few models.  Most were paid, a few trades. The trades I paid expenses to, & all of them got about 30 photo shopped pictures or more.   IT IS HARD TO GET MODELS NO MATTER WHAT.
After studying your casting calls I can see why you might have some slack in getting responses.
There are several elements, the most important of which is:

(1)    YOU EXPECT THE MODELS TO GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT, NOT WHAT THEY WANT, & YOU EXPECT THEM TO DO THIS FOR FREE. Your images are specific, Red Riding Hood & Snow White.  Obviously, this turns you on, but it might not mean anything to the model.

You do not even tell the model whether you’re going to give her images.  How many?  Will they be photo shopped?  Do you know how to do photo shop?

When I decided to get into TRADE rather than PAY I realized THAT I MUST GIVE THE MODEL WHAT HE WANTS. I studied this.  What male models want is to look like GQ, nice clothes, respectable.  They want fashion, commercial, editorial, pictures that could be in regular magazines.

I went out & bought a lot of clothes for models–got ready for Phase II of “HOW TO GET MODELS.”  I put up a new VIP site for my “dressed-fashion” images, a new style.  I put up casting calls for trade for what I was giving.  I got a super abundance of responses, but most of the males were not what I wanted –nothing is easy.

Before I could PROVE to males I could take the “fashion/dressed” images they wanted, I had to have those images on my site.  I started with the models I paid for NUDES, took pictures of them dressed, & that was the beginning.  After that it was fairly easy to attract models for trade, but still, nothing is ever easy, so between their being “interested” & getting here is the devil & the deep blue sea.

Now to be specific – Your site – Your port – Your casting calls.  I hope you have a thick skin & can handle constructive criticism.  You asked for help – I am answering.

There are a few ways you could attract models better to your site.  It would be nice to have more pictures, & photo shop helps.

There are things in your casting calls that would repulse rather than attract models.  Women are afraid of men, especially men they don’t know.  So talking about “taking them into the woods” or “bite marks & blood” would arouse feelings that would discourage them from coming to see this unknown photographer.

Second, there is a picture of a man on your port.  Is it you? - the model wonders.  He is holding a weapon, he looks menacing, the image is black & white except for the blood dripping down the stairs.

The model thinks:  He talks about blood, he puts a picture with blood.  Does he have a thing about blood?  Am I safe?

Another thing, use spell check when writing any text.  If a person sees multiple misspelling it’s not a good omen regarding your education.  People take more kindly to those they think are intelligent.

Now, when you want models to come to you & take your sort of images, the bottom line is what are you giving them?  Find out what they want – If you want Snow White, Red Riding Hood, tell them that for 50% of the time you will take exactly the kind of images they want – you need to know their requirements – then the other half, they do what you want.  Tell them how many images you will give them, how fast you will deliver, and will you contribute to any travel expenses or food?

Give them references as to your character, tell them they may bring an escort.

The last word is that even when you do everything right – You have a perfect port, your presentation is perfect, you give them exactly what they are asking for –– MODELS ARE STILL HARD TO GET.

PS  I will probably not check 4 your answer, so you may inbox your response if you wish.  I rarely participate in these discussions.  Too busy trying to get models & photo shopping.

May 23 13 02:17 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Promotional Genius wrote:
Wheeltracks, I am going to tell you a few things, some consoling, some being honest, hoping to be of help.  I did study your site as well as your casting calls.
First, IT IS DIFFICULT FOR ANYONE TO GET MODELS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHETHER IT BE PAID OR TRADE.  I work daily on this, on my photo shop & spamming models.  I send out letters to about 100 models a week, through browse.  I offer trades, I offer money.  I get mail, phone calls, but very few models actually show up.  For every model that promises to show up whether it be trade or pay, I would say there are 20 or 30 who stop communicating or 10 who say they will be here & either fail to show up or come up with some lame excuse why they are not coming.  During one year of hard work to get models, daily work, I finally got a few models.  Most were paid, a few trades. The trades I paid expenses to, & all of them got about 30 photo shopped pictures or more.   IT IS HARD TO GET MODELS NO MATTER WHAT.

ummm ...not really

I have about a 75 per cent success rate with the models I contact here ( or meet in the real world ) with respect to them agreeing to the shoot . And about a 90 per cent follow through rate

If I were a better photographer I think my results would be better ..I consider myself to be only average ( here in MM  and where i live )

I think a few things have contributed to my success .... I live in a good location ( for models ) I have some connections in our local fashion scene , I started out my MM portfolio by shooting with some extraordinary ( non MM ) Models and I guess that some models find my style of work appealing ..I dont generally pay models but I do arrange to get their makeup done professionally .... As of late this means booking them for makeup at one of our downtown makeup stores where I need to purchase $50 worth of product in exchange for the service ...I am letting the models chose and keep the product as a bonus for shooting with me

May 23 13 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Warrenjrphotography

Hammonton, New Jersey, US

The easiest way that I've fount to find models is to post notices on MM and write out a theme for the photoshoot look that you're going for and as long as you're original with your concepts you will attract models that are into the same concepts as you are and you will book photoshoots.

Don't listen to the people that say that you have to do the cliche and overdone fashion photographs or pay models, I'm sorry to say it but most of the photographers out there are shooting the same stuff that thousands of other photographers are shooting.

If you want the models to come to you, you want to be original. If you strive to make money off of photography right off the bat you will be shooting photography not as a creative outlet but as a business which could turn what you love into a chore when you're forced to do fashion shoots in a studio or photo shoots that doesn't reflect your creative innate ability as an artist and human being.

Follow your heart and shoot the imaginary photos that you originally had posted and continue to follow your heart and you will get better at what you love and remember in the end photography should be about creating a story so always follow your heart never your wallet.

I'd also suggest instead of messaging models try tagging ones that you like I've found that, that gets me more responses.

May 23 13 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

ClawShark Photography

Snug, Tasmania, Australia

I've been struggling to find professional models (like those that you would see in all the fashion mags) as well.
I think really legit workshops would help build my port.
I just moved to LA and signed up for Markus Klinko's workshop..check it out if you're planning to be around the area: www.markusklinkoworkshops.com
Super excited... they will have amazing models there and i will be able to put super stylish shots in my book from this experience..
I just bought a new Mamiya 645 with a 22 mega pixel leaf back and can't wait to put it to use! wink

May 25 13 10:20 pm Link