Forums > Critique > nude model- need crit. for site/port/profile

Model

Shandra Stark

Posts: 13614

Los Angeles, California, US

I have been away from the photographic world of modeling for over a year, due to extreme injury.

In the coming months, I have trade shoots set up with some of the most amazing talent I've ever witnessed, and am excited for new, new, new!  That said, I'd really like to clean things up a bit, and make sure that I have room to move forward.

I need your help.  Please:

1) critique my profile and portfolio here on MM
2) critique my website

I just redid my website from scratch last night, and the gallery is just old images.  An archive.  Once I've got new images to show, I will. 

What else should I add?

May 17 13 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Matt Schmidt

Posts: 3681

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

For MM (IMO) I'd:

Ditch the Sketches, Paintings, Drawings . . . leave maybe one

You're advertising you, the model . . . not the artist skill at illustrating you.

May 17 13 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Posts: 22822

Portland, Oregon, US

I actually like your web site, a lot.  I like the minimalist approach.  It's clean & readable.  Don't mess with it (too much).

Some comments:

...  Some might like a warning before being exposed to nekkid images.

...  I got lousy eyes & have trouble with teeny, tiny text.  May I recommend a slightly larger font size all round?  I could use a bigger font everywhere, especially in the Blog.

...  Despite my poor eyesight, I do have a big honkin' monitor.  I would prefer if your table (marked "Archive") were centered, but I wouldn't mess with it much -- I like the size of the thumbnails, and four across is just about perfect.

...  The "Travel" page is a little confusing.  It says "Leave A Reply" but the button says "Post Comment" -- which is it?  Could it be neither -- is this form for those wishing to book you?  I also wouldn't mind a better organization to the travel dates/places.

...  Similarly, the "Contact" page -- you ask for booking information -- does this mean you are not interested in general, non-booking comments.


Finally, welcome back.

May 17 13 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Posts: 21758

Orlando, Florida, US

Glad to see you back in action, always enjoyed the variety, energy and attitude your port shows  .  .  .  why not start with a blank sheet, and just add the new work as it comes in  .  .  .

SOS

May 17 13 02:53 pm Link

Model

Shandra Stark

Posts: 13614

Los Angeles, California, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
I actually like your web site, a lot.  I like the minimalist approach.  It's clean & readable.  Don't mess with it (too much).

Some comments:

...  Some might like a warning before being exposed to nekkid images.

...  I got lousy eyes & have trouble with teeny, tiny text.  May I recommend a slightly larger font size all round?  I could use a bigger font everywhere, especially in the Blog.

...  Despite my poor eyesight, I do have a big honkin' monitor.  I would prefer if your table (marked "Archive") were centered, but I wouldn't mess with it much -- I like the size of the thumbnails, and four across is just about perfect.

...  The "Travel" page is a little confusing.  It says "Leave A Reply" but the button says "Post Comment" -- which is it?  Could it be neither -- is this form for those wishing to book you?  I also wouldn't mind a better organization to the travel dates/places.

...  Similarly, the "Contact" page -- you ask for booking information -- does this mean you are not interested in general, non-booking comments.


Finally, welcome back.

Woops!  Some coding issues on my end.  The archive is centered now, and not of the pages have the default wordpress "leave a reply" button.

You are correct, I don't want non-booking-related messages.   I want to convey that I don't wish to be contacted by people who aren't serious, or who just want to say "what's up?".   It really slows me down to have to wade through emails that are not business-related.

I'll work on the text!

Thanks for the feeback!

May 17 13 02:54 pm Link

Model

Shandra Stark

Posts: 13614

Los Angeles, California, US

Fotographahaulic wrote:
For MM (IMO) I'd:

Ditch the Sketches, Paintings, Drawings . . . leave maybe one

You're advertising you, the model . . . not the artist skill at illustrating you.

I battle with this.

Photographers find images of paintings and drawings to be useless, but painters and art schools give me 90% of all my income, and they really enjoy seeing them, because it shows them that I love what I do, and gives them hope that I'll work with them.

If they're not there, I get asked why not, but if they are, photographers ask why.

I don't know if I'll ever get it right.

May 17 13 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Shutterbug5269

Posts: 16084

West Winfield, New York, US

Shandra

I think that given your work straddles two disciplines you handle it quite well.  I think your MM profile does a very good job of showcasing that.

I have worked with you more than once and know what you put into what you do. Even though our last shoot didn't necessarily turn out the way I would have liked. (Given how hot and humid it was that day)  I am most definitely interested in working with you again regardless.

May 17 13 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Dozer

Posts: 630

La Quinta, California, US

Since you asked - and keep in mind that my opinion is really only worth two cents:

To start with -you're a beautiful and talanted model who has also had the chance to work with some great photographers.  My guess is that a session with you would turn out many more winners than loosers.

First row - not wild about images 2, 3, and 4 - all seem to me to have some cropping/composition/lighting issues.  However, shows what I know because a whole lot of people like #4.

Second row - everything great

Third row - Don't really like images 3 and 4 (never was a fan of poloroids but that's just me)

Fourth row - All  great

Fifth row - first image is too overblown for my taste and I'm not a fan of #3

Sixth row - Everything fine

Seventh row - Don't like #2.  While the artistic talent is nice, to me the subject matter doesn't seem to go well with this image. 

Website - great work.  I especially like your blogs on working with different photographers.

Hope my "humble opinion" helps you.

May 17 13 06:09 pm Link

Model

Shandra Stark

Posts: 13614

Los Angeles, California, US

Okay...

I've culled a TON of images, including several favorites of mine, and one that had been up since 2006.

What do you think, now?

Also, I'd really like more input on my website and profile.

May 17 13 09:47 pm Link

Artist/Painter

sdgillis

Posts: 2459

Portland, Oregon, US

Shandra Stark wrote:
I battle with this.

Photographers find images of paintings and drawings to be useless, but painters and art schools give me 90% of all my income, and they really enjoy seeing them, because it shows them that I love what I do, and gives them hope that I'll work with them.

If they're not there, I get asked why not, but if they are, photographers ask why.

I don't know if I'll ever get it right.

I like to see a couple to know you are committed and you cover the genre.  A lot of photographers do not get that experience.  Generally we still hire based on photos, but can tell a great deal about a person by their portfolio and who we are comfortable to work with. Some people just do not work out in life llamaing.

May 17 13 10:29 pm Link

Model

GingerMuse

Posts: 369

STUDIO CITY, California, US

I really like your website.
It is clean and easy to navigate.
smile

May 17 13 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

LC Photography

Posts: 77

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

The drawings and photos looked messy on the MM profile, but I really like your website.  It's very clear!!!

BTW, I will be in Boston around October..... I hope to work with you.

May 19 13 10:09 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Posts: 1990

Los Angeles, California, US

Image-wise your website looks really good. Hot. On MM there are artists so you should keep the paintings and pump that up in your profile as you derive such a big economic benefit from artists. .  "I work with many artists and some have called me their muse. I am featured in art nude books. I love the magic of art."

I know you have bulleted some of this, but personal statements for a model can be so important and persuasive. Good luck. You have a great look.

May 19 13 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Darren Stehr

Posts: 219

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Fotographahaulic wrote:
For MM (IMO) I'd:

Ditch the Sketches, Paintings, Drawings . . . leave maybe one

Ditto. That said though I would create another MM profile for them alone.

I like your web site. The photos are great. It seems to me though it misses an initial focus or grab right at the beginning. I think most photographers will not be bothered by it but someone with less exposure to photography/modeling may need to adjust. I hope that makes sense.

May 19 13 10:29 am Link

Model

Shandra Stark

Posts: 13614

Los Angeles, California, US

GingerMuse wrote:
I really like your website.
It is clean and easy to navigate.
smile

hienvy
Thank you!  I love yours, too.  Stark white is my favorite.

May 21 13 12:40 pm Link

Model

Shandra Stark

Posts: 13614

Los Angeles, California, US

LC Photography wrote:
The drawings and photos looked messy on the MM profile, but I really like your website.  It's very clear!!!

BTW, I will be in Boston around October..... I hope to work with you.

Thank you for the feedback, and the heads up!

May 21 13 12:41 pm Link

Model

Shandra Stark

Posts: 13614

Los Angeles, California, US

LA StarShooter wrote:
Image-wise your website looks really good. Hot. On MM there are artists so you should keep the paintings and pump that up in your profile as you derive such a big economic benefit from artists. .  "I work with many artists and some have called me their muse. I am featured in art nude books. I love the magic of art."

I know you have bulleted some of this, but personal statements for a model can be so important and persuasive. Good luck. You have a great look.

Thank you for the feedback!  I will work on the perfect wording, and get right to it!

May 21 13 12:43 pm Link