Forums > Photography Talk > Beginner Help

Photographer

KnGphotography

Columbus, Ohio, US

So I have been doing photography for awhile just not portrait photography I recently decided that portrait photography is what I want to do. However I seem to be having a little bit of trouble getting a model. I'm more then willing to pay which I have said when messaging them. I don't have many female friends to practice with only guys. But I would really like to work on females.. Any ideas on how I can get a model? Or just even improve with what I have to work with so that models are more willing to work with me? Currently I am using the cannon rebel 300d with a 35-80mm lens I will be getting a 50mm lens here soon.

May 19 13 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

New York, New York, US

Post a casting call, browse newbies in your area to work TF with. Try CL also. Post your best photos to help sway people to work with you.

May 19 13 02:38 pm Link

Model

Scarlett de la Calle

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

Work on your communication skills better it may not be that you are offering money but the way you are communicating what you want. You may be contacting the wrong models. If they are all swimsuit maybe they don't want to work in portraiture at all. The price you are willing to pay may be too low for the models you are contacting. Practice with what you have got. If you only have 2 female friends practice with them until your work improves so that models here want to work with you.

There are millions of fantastic male portraits out there.... taking photos of your male friends may be a great idea too.

If you want a critique on your actual photography and why people may not be going to you due to that you will have to post in the critique forum.

Good luck

May 19 13 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Trisha May Photography

Colchester, Connecticut, US

Search for models in your area that are willing to do TF, put your friends and family in front of the camera ectect. Good luck!

May 19 13 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Charlie-CNP

New York, New York, US

also go find group shoots in your area where there will be models to work with or workshops. That is a good way to get some work into your portfolio for what you want to shoot. good luck

May 19 13 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Guy Frotto

San Francisco, California, US

KnGphotography wrote:
Any ideas on how I can get a model? Or just even improve with what I have to work with so that models are more willing to work with me?

Good news! Looks like you have found modelmayhem, which is a great place to start networking with models, photographers, and make up artists.

I see that you have joined recently on modelmayhem since April 28, 2013 and you have already placed a casting call.

Being a female photographer has its advantages. I think you are able to find models to shoot for free without having to actually pay for models.

Start with shooting your female friends or try social websites such as facebook. I think you are able to make friends at starbucks and able to shoot aspiring models.

Those are other avenues I recommend, but paying models certainly is another effective method.

May 19 13 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

RSM-images

Jacksonville, Florida, US

For portraits, you should be using a 105-to-120mm lens focal length -- to reduce perspective distortion -- and be about ten (10) feet from the subject.

May 19 13 08:54 pm Link

Model

GingerMuse

STUDIO CITY, California, US

Scarlett de la Calle wrote:
Work on your communication skills better it may not be that you are offering money but the way you are communicating what you want. You may be contacting the wrong models. If they are all swimsuit maybe they don't want to work in portraiture at all. The price you are willing to pay may be too low for the models you are contacting. Practice with what you have got. If you only have 2 female friends practice with them until your work improves so that models here want to work with you.

There are millions of fantastic male portraits out there.... taking photos of your male friends may be a great idea too.

If you want a critique on your actual photography and why people may not be going to you due to that you will have to post in the critique forum.

Good luck

+1

yea, the price of what you are offering may be too low.
things that may help: offer higher pay, get a better camera, learn some editing techniques, take in focus shots and be very active on the site. Message models directly, post casting calls, etc. Work with who you can for now; family & friends and build your port.
If you want a critique on your photography and how to improve, perhaps think about posting in the critique section.
good luck.

May 19 13 08:55 pm Link

guide forum

Photographer

-JAY-

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Get the 50 1.8 first, and shoot some of your dude friends.

a) the 50mm on the 300D is a great lens (brought that exact combo on a recent shoot for shits and giggles, see below)

b) seeing good dude portraits will give you a better impression when dealing with newbie female models. Many newbies (those you have access to on a trade basis) are more concerned about perceived safety and whatever nonsense - seeing men in your portfolio is a subconscious note of "not a creeper" (most models won't look around to see that you're female)

better images through a better lens + more approachability = win

http://jayleavitt.com/links/devin_300d.jpg

May 19 13 10:57 pm Link

guide forum

Photographer

-JAY-

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

DP

May 19 13 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

KnGphotography

Columbus, Ohio, US

Nice picture! Thanks for all the tips an pointers really helpful!

May 20 13 01:01 am Link

Photographer

afplcc

Fairfax, Virginia, US

KnGphotography wrote:
So I have been doing photography for awhile just not portrait photography I recently decided that portrait photography is what I want to do. However I seem to be having a little bit of trouble getting a model. I'm more then willing to pay which I have said when messaging them. I don't have many female friends to practice with only guys. But I would really like to work on females.. Any ideas on how I can get a model? Or just even improve with what I have to work with so that models are more willing to work with me? Currently I am using the cannon rebel 300d with a 35-80mm lens I will be getting a 50mm lens here soon.

Several suggestions:

1.  Bite the bullet and pay for a traveling model.  A professional who does this for a living will teach you an amazing amount, will be able to critique your setup, you'll end up with very good and possibly very, very good results (that will draw in other models based on those results).  When you book this traveling model, indicate upfront you have little experience working with humans and you absolutely are looking for someone who is willing to be a collaborator in the shoot, someone who can make her own poses or manipulate the setting/props to get a good result...and then explain to you why she did that.

2.  When you contact a model to propose TF, suggest something that's in it for them (other than the pleasure of your company and experience working with someone who has no proof he'll produce work that they like...no offense intended....just trying to explain how the models would see it).  Find a really cool setting....an abandoned building...a waterfall....a yacht or sailboat....an arboretum or art gallery that is closed on Mondays and you have access to.  Or find out something the model really wants to shoot (cosplay...or vintage...glamour).  Be willing to shoot what the model wants...in order for you to get her to pose for what you want.

3.  Find colleges that are close by.  There are usually tons of students who are in design or fashion or art programs who want their portfolios upgraded.  Find someone in the drama/theater program who does makeup.  It will take some time to put it all together but propose a multiple TF:  MUA gets additions to her portfolio plus reference/resume line that isn't academic...model gets glamour or fashion poses....you get practice and additions to your portfolio.  When I was in school, I probably shot 25-45 classmates (most of them nude but some fashion or glamour or casual or vintage or athletic-wear).

4.  At those same colleges, they'll have figure art classes.  Most models in those classes get around $15-25 an hour.  Posing for photographers isn't the same as life drawing classes.  And some of the models may be 45 years old with 2 "C" section scars.  But while not free, they can be inexpensive and help give you a start (assuming you're looking to shoot nudes).

Ed

May 20 13 01:05 pm Link