Forums > Photography Talk > Photo hosting sites for proofs?

Retoucher

KB Retouch

Los Angeles, California, US

Hi there, all!

I shot group studio portraits for a dance studio today, and some of the families requested I put the photos online so that they can review them and choose which ones they'd like to purchase from there. The problem is I have no idea where I could go about posting hundreds of images.

When I shoot headshots I usually end up creating a password protected album on Photobucket for them to proof their shots, but the buggy-ness of the site is really getting to me. Also, this was a professional shoot with several clients, and I get the impression Photobucket isn't the most professional looking database to send people to if I want them to eventually hire me for more work.

I know several photographers give out CDs of the prints, but that's after purchase (and I was not compensated for the shoot itself, so providing prints without purchase isn't necessary). I have a personal website, but I have a feeling the site isn't built like a workhorse to host several hundred images.

So, anybody have any tips? Is there some well known hosting site out there for professional or semi pro photographers that I haven't stumbled upon just yet?

Thanks all!

Jun 02 13 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Kelsey Bullock Retouch wrote:
Hi there, all!

I shot group studio portraits for a dance studio today, and some of the families requested I put the photos online so that they can review them and choose which ones they'd like to purchase from there. The problem is I have no idea where I could go about posting hundreds of images.

When I shoot headshots I usually end up creating a password protected album on Photobucket for them to proof their shots, but the buggy-ness of the site is really getting to me. Also, this was a professional shoot with several clients, and I get the impression Photobucket isn't the most professional looking database to send people to if I want them to eventually hire me for more work.

I know several photographers give out CDs of the prints, but that's after purchase (and I was not compensated for the shoot itself, so providing prints without purchase isn't necessary). I have a personal website, but I have a feeling the site isn't built like a workhorse to host several hundred images.

So, anybody have any tips? Is there some well known hosting site out there for professional or semi pro photographers that I haven't stumbled upon just yet?

Thanks all!

That's a tough one, since you're going to make money once they buy them, right? Unless, you can put together a website solution, quickly, I'm not sure what you can do that will be effective. If you could put up a zenfolio site and already have your own url, etc., that's something that you can put up very quickly. The site is quite robust and they have improved it a bit. Have a look at it and others and see what can be set up quickly.

Jun 02 13 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

Awesome Headshots

San Ramon, California, US

I use Smug Mug for situations like this. You can price out the individual images with higher prices on group images then send out 1 link to all parties. They'll purchase them though Smug Mug whereas the $ will be dropped into your bank in 2 days or PayPal in a few few minutes.

Jun 02 13 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

JC D Photography

I am using pass.us  for proof and delivery ... no more CD

Jun 02 13 10:56 pm Link

Retoucher

KB Retouch

Awesome Headshots wrote:
I use Smug Mug for situations like this. You can price out the individual images with higher prices on group images then send out 1 link to all parties. They'll purchase them though Smug Mug whereas the $ will be dropped into your bank in 2 days or PayPal in a few few minutes.

Is there a way to post it on smugmug for review but disable purchasing of the prints? I have a printing service I'm pleased with, and have already calculated the prices of the prints to reflect the prices of that printing service. I just want a professional looking place to upload everything (watermarked) for review.

And most people have already ordered prints based on the class their kids are in (they know their kid took a picture with their ballet class so they automatically want to buy that picture), this is just a way for me to show extra shots I took to increase business. So there's not a HUGE rush on this, but the sooner the better.

Jun 02 13 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Gavin Poh

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I use dropbox.com
Its more like a large file sharing site, no e-commerce capabilities however you can load small jpgs up to a shared folder which has configurable users (you need to invite them to view)
They can then delete images they dont want and pay you for those they select.
Once payment is made, simply replace low res/watermarked images with finals and they can download.

Thats how i do it.

Jun 02 13 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

Marc Gysin

Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

I use Photoshelter http://www.photoshelter.com to deliver my pictures to clients. An other (cheaper) option would be Zenfolio http://www.zenfolio.com but what I don't like there is that your images are renamed.

Hope this helps

Jun 03 13 12:02 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I use Photo.net.  It costs $25 a year, has unlimited uploads and you can make the galleries private or public, as you wish.

I routinely upload hundreds of photos at a time so that models can choose what they like from a shoot and send them the URL for their gallery.

You can also disable downloading of images if you prefer.

PS I looked closely at Dropbox, but decided against it because it needs 24/7 access to your computer and there are significant security risks associated with that.

Jun 03 13 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Matthew Gwinn

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

Is there a way to post it on smugmug for review but disable purchasing of the prints?

Yes, you can turn off the printing service. You can also set it to add your own watermark to your images.

I have a printing service I'm pleased with, and have already calculated the prices of the prints to reflect the prices of that printing service. I just want a professional looking place to upload everything (watermarked) for review.

If you list prices on your images you have to use Smugmug's printers - they have 2 to choose from. They also take a pretty hefty cut off the top on prints too, so you're better off using your own service.

Jun 03 13 09:33 am Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

Matthew Gwinn wrote:
If you list prices on your images you have to use Smugmug's printers - they have 2 to choose from. They also take a pretty hefty cut off the top on prints too, so you're better off using your own service.

I've been considering using SMUGMUG for some situations.. What to they charge?  is it a percentage or a minimum?

thanks..

Jun 03 13 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Hi there, all!

Thanks all!

I use Dropbox, a cloud based storage system. The free account give your 3GB of space. The great thing about Dropbox is that you can share FOLDERS or individual images by simply sharing a link.

To manage the contents (upload, delete, create new folder, etc.), install the Dropbox software in your computer and it will create a Dropbox folder in your local hard drive. Anything you do in that location, gets mirrored on you dropbox account.

To share proofs, I re-size the originals/raw to about 640x480 (large enough to see, but not to take advantage, and watermark with "Proof"), then save it to a folder. I get the link to the folder and e-mail that to whoever needs access. No passwords required, but they can't browse the other folders in your account either. You need the direct link.

Example, a friend of mine needed some simple business headshots. I took the pics, and uploaded them. I sent him the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/246rmzmxbf2e0p7/egbukHko0u?m

Done.

Jun 03 13 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Model Mentor Studio

Saint Catharines-Niagara, Ontario, Canada

I use Google drive. Dropbox is also good. Both are free. Just email the links. Watermark them all though!!

Jun 03 13 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Greggain Photography

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Ditto on SmugMug for me.

Jun 03 13 10:35 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Marc Gysin wrote:
I use Photoshelter http://www.photoshelter.com to deliver my pictures to clients. An other (cheaper) option would be Zenfolio http://www.zenfolio.com but what I don't like there is that your images are renamed.

Hope this helps

I've used Zenfolio for 3 years, but never noticed that images are renamed.   Every file name I've ever used has remained intact, however, yes, they do assign unique identifiers to each image because not all users are smart enough to use unique file names, and where would any site be with duplicate named images, it would fail.

Zenfolio works pretty well, I've had like 15 people use my referral code so I know people are signing up for them.

Other posters also mentioned selling prints and being tied to vendors for fulfillment, yes, that is true for a convenience factor, but Zenfolio allows you to create custom products where you could fulfill every print on your own if you wanted.

Most people I know who use Smugmug have complained about the pricing changes and strongly consider moving to another site.. I tried both Smugmug and Zenfolio, and Zen was much better for me and my needs.

I do wish they offered a few more things (increased proofing tools, multiple passwords for a gallery, support for NEF and Zip to use the site for file transfers), but that is life.

Jun 03 13 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Azimuth Arts

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Marc Gysin wrote:

Hope this helps

Plus one for PhotoShelter as each person can view a lightbox to rate the images in making their selects.  You can sell through them and either use their printer or one of your own.  It's pretty flexible for that.

Jun 03 13 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

JC Dalman Photography wrote:
I am using pass.us  for proof and delivery ... no more CD

I looked into this.  If you don't pay, you can only upload one image at a time.  If you want to upgrade, you have to pay $29 for each event (means for each client). 

There are many other choices.

Jun 03 13 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Hocus Focus Studio

Antioch, Tennessee, US

I'm using ShootProof right now.  The free version has all the features of the paid versions.  They price it by how many photos you plan to host at a time.  The free version is 100 photos.  That works for me because I don't have many shoots.  You can customize the looks and the price list.  They have 3 photo labs to choose from or you can make your own price list with self-fulfilled items and send them to the lab of your choice.  It's pretty nifty and I'm pleased so far.

Jun 15 13 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

eybdoog

New York, New York, US

+1 for Zenfolio. Get a pro account, problem solved and completely customizable. good luck

Jun 15 13 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

David Simpson Images

Bangor, Maine, US

I use mediafire. I dont have a ton of files when I upload so the free version works for me. 2 gigs for the free version

Jun 15 13 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Culturally Destitute

Seattle, Washington, US

Dropbox. Works wonderfully. Free. I use it more and more each day.

Need a pretty and professional face for presentation and fulfillment; use Zenfolio. That's all I use it for now. Makes me look like I know what I'm doing. wink

Jun 15 13 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

John M Hoyt

Greenville, South Carolina, US

I use Dropbox with great success, but also copy app, which is similar, except they start you off with 15 GB for free.  20 GB if you use a referral link. And the referrer gets 5 GB too, so I'm up to about 45GB... FREE.

Here's mine:

https://copy.com?r=OAdJxy

Jun 15 13 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Hi there, all!

Thanks all!

I put proofs for model shoots on Flickr, but if you're selling prints, Zenfolio's probably a better choice.  It costs a little more, but it's a more professional, and flexible, interface.

Jun 15 13 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Audrey Williams wrote:
I'm using ShootProof right now.  The free version has all the features of the paid versions.  They price it by how many photos you plan to host at a time.  The free version is 100 photos.  That works for me because I don't have many shoots.  You can customize the looks and the price list.  They have 3 photo labs to choose from or you can make your own price list with self-fulfilled items and send them to the lab of your choice.  It's pretty nifty and I'm pleased so far.

Free Flickr is one TERABYTE of storage.  That's rather a lot more than 100 images.

Jun 15 13 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Please, please trust me and don't use an online proofing site.  It is thee worst way to sell your images.  Go back to the studio and have the parent come to you and you show them the images in person.  If they know this is the only way they will see the images, they will be more apt to buy them. 

Years ago I actually travelled with a dance competition company.  We would shoot the competition on Saturday night have have about 10 viewing stations set up the next morning for all the parent and even students to find their segment and to buy any shots they like.  We would alway do several thousands in sales.

One time the owners of the company said they wanted us to try only posting online since we would get even more people to see and buy the images.  We did $200.  Seeing that the company got a % of the sales we were right back there selling images in person the at the next competition. 

My best friend is the manager of a large school portrait studio here in town.  Mostly high school.  They also shoot the sports team's memory mates (single of the player plus a team shot).  He says the company doesn't really care about the sales from those and just does them as a favor for the school.  They said they just "don't make any money from them".  They only post them ONLINE.  Not caring if he did his own sports teams, he and I secured a football team shoot from one of the largest schools around.  We gave out money envelopes with package prices on them about a week before the shoot.  This is how we did it in the film days.  We did $1500 the day of the shoot.  Plus we only had to work on those who bought.

In person sales or pre pay will always out do online proofing.  Everytime.  I hear the same from others who try online proofing.  You will get some sales but no where near as much with tried and true older methods.

Jun 16 13 04:12 am Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

Belgrade, Central Serbia, Serbia

Put a stamp on EVERYTHING.

Dropbox is pretty darn easy.

Jun 16 13 05:59 am Link

Photographer

TheScarletLetterSeries

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, US

Mike Collins wrote:
In person sales or pre pay will always out do online proofing.  Everytime.  I hear the same from others who try online proofing.  You will get some sales but no where near as much with tried and true older methods.

+1.

For events that call for it, I use www.instaproofs.com but prefer to fulfill my own orders for quality control over printing.  But portrait sales in studio are best---it's not even close. I don't use instaproofs for portrait sessions.  Absent commercial-use, simply handing over files by whatever method is shooting yourself in the foot, imho.

Jun 16 13 06:18 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

I use Zenfolio and have been happy with it but the stats are pretty clear if possible in person sales will always come in higher than on line.

On line works best for me because of convenience and some events to not lend themselves to having a sales and editing team on site with the extra expense that involves.

Jun 16 13 07:09 am Link

Photographer

Adam J Caldwell

London, England, United Kingdom

dropbox

nothing else needs to be said.

Jun 16 13 07:31 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

EditDrop.  I have it as part of my aphotofolio.com package but you can get a stand alone version.

http://www.editdrop.com

Jun 16 13 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Mark Ellison

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hocus Focus Studio wrote:
I''m using ShootProof right now.  The free version has all the features of the paid versions.  They price it by how many photos you plan to host at a time.  The free version is 100 photos.  That works for me because I don''t have many shoots.  You can customize the looks and the price list.  They have 3 photo labs to choose from or you can make your own price list with self-fulfilled items and send them to the lab of your choice.  It''s pretty nifty and I''m pleased so far.

+1 to ShootProof. Works perfectly with no jacked up percentage fees. They charge 2.9% + .30 cents IF you let them process the credit card on your behalf. It''s no charge if you invoice clients yourself or use PayPal, etc.

They have a fully functioning trial that''s limited to 100 images so it will work for most smaller shoots and will let you try out the system.

Dec 31 69 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Ellison

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Mike Collins wrote:
Please, please trust me and don''t use an online proofing site.  It is thee worst way to sell your images.  Go back to the studio and have the parent come to you and you show them the images in person.  If they know this is the only way they will see the images, they will be more apt to buy them. 

Mike is definitely correct on this one... Use ShootProofs for specific situations, not as a blanket sales tool and your numbers will be much better.

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

Drop box is taking (for me at least)way too long to upload entire shoots lately...dunno what happned

Used to be quicker but they changed how you move files to be uploaded and it takes anywhere between 1 and 10 minutes for. A single jpeg to get uploaded

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Chris Rifkin wrote:
Drop box is taking (for me at least)way too long to upload entire shoots lately...dunno what happned

Used to be quicker but they changed how you move files to be uploaded and it takes anywhere between 1 and 10 minutes for. A single jpeg to get uploaded

Glad it is not just me, I''ve also noticed that Dropbox has slowed terribly!!

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Smug Mug for a web site and sending image''s   If you are sending lots of images and you don''t need a web site. Try Drop Box