Photographer

Image Works Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Definitely two, no camera or photoshop in the world will do

Jun 04 13 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Jack Perno one of Chicago's best and a awesome dude was interviewed a while ago.   Where he said, 'its all about the girl'   https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set … 6095574893   Once you reach a certain level of skill.   You need to focus on actual models.   That is if you plan to visit a agency or do client fashion, commercial or advertising work.   Sure talented shooters can make anyone look good but there are reasons agencies are picky.   Models tend to be picky but photographers... Some of you folks get so excited that a model is willing to pop her breasts out you ignore that she looks like a Doberman.

Quality or quantity.   Find and show solid models.   Practice with anyone but only show attractive people.   Sadly sometimes there are models you just shouldn't shoot if you are aimed at or are a working pro.

Jun 04 13 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Jack Perno one of Chicago's best and a awesome dude was interviewed a while ago.   Where he said, 'its all about the girl'   https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set … 6095574893   Once you reach a certain level of skill.   You need to focus on actual models.   That is if you plan to visit a agency or do client fashion, commercial or advertising work.   Sure talented shooters can make anyone look good but there are reasons agencies are picky.   Models tend to be picky but photographers... Some of you folks get so excited that a model is willing to pop her breasts out you ignore that she looks like a Doberman.

Quality or quantity.   Find and show solid models.   Practice with anyone but only show attractive people.   Sadly sometimes there are models you just shouldn't shoot if you are aimed at or are a working pro.

You know this isn't the best place for the truth like that...

Jun 04 13 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Lumatic

Brooklyn, New York, US

Philipe wrote:
The model.
If they don't look good I don't look good.

I just capture the moment.

Except that it's entirely up to the photographer to capture the moment, along with everything that goes into the frame.  There's the model(s), styling, background, lighting, props if any, composition, post, etc.

This isn't an either/or thing...

Jun 04 13 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

AngelFire_Photography

Keene, New Hampshire, US

nyk fury wrote:

then you also need a good MUA.

Or Instagram filters - then it's "art".

Jun 04 13 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

RW Steele

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Models tend to be picky but photographers... Some of you folks get so excited that a model is willing to pop her breasts out you ignore that she looks like a Doberman.

^ This guy

Jun 04 13 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

The photographer creates the image.  You are the subject of the image.

That having been said, and it has been said in the thread before:  "It takes two to tango."

My question is; "Why does it matter?"  You both have a part to play when creating a great image.

Jun 04 13 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

MichaelClements

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

If you're disconnected on my shoot you're out the door.

Jun 04 13 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

If it's a photo of a model, it takes both -

but let's look at the idea of photography - which is what "making a photo" is - collecting light on some sort of fixed medium to create an image -

if a model poses perfectly all day forever a photo will not happen without a photographer -

if a photographer decides to take a photo he or she can do so -  literally worlds of wonderful photography - without using a model at all....

I'm a big fan of the models I work with -   don't get me wrong -

but your question deserves an answer that is to the point, not necessarily politically correct....

Jun 04 13 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

nyk fury wrote:

right, and many of the responses here are so simplistic as to boggle the mind. tongue

Some simplistic and some insulting.

Jun 04 13 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

https://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1208265308/Sharbat_Gula.jpg

Jun 04 13 03:04 pm Link

Model

Sabryna S

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

Gary Melton wrote:
That is such a tough question, and the answers really are "it depends" and "it takes both".

A really great photographer can make a so-so model look great.

A really great model can make a crappy photographer look pretty good.

Some photographers hardly ever take a bad shot, and some models just look great in any shot taken of them.

It takes talent, experience and dedication from both parties...

This is pretty much how I feel about it.
A photographer can have a lot of talent and take photos of excellent quality, but when the subject/model looks uninterested, boring, etc, then it kinda takes away from the overall photo.

If the model is talented, knows how to pose, etc, but the photo seems like just a snapshot, then that takes away from the overall image trying to be portrayed too.

Not sure if I explained what I wanted to explain correctly, but yeah.

Jun 04 13 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Port Townsend, Washington, US

i'll try again. it's a lot of things, a lot of variables. the same model and shooter on a different day, in different circumstances, in a different mood, may have very different results. and comparison of the differences is going to be pretty subjective. saying it's the girl, it's the guy, it's the gear, or certain percentages of each is just mental abstraction trying to fit itself on a reality which is quite a bit more complex and variable than any silly formula. one day it may be more the shooter. another day it could be more the model. even with the same model and same shooter. it's a friggin' moving target! there are more elements involved than a human mind can consciously hold in-place at the same time.

Jun 04 13 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Pembroke Pines, Florida, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:

I will have to agree to a degree

Jun 04 13 03:16 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Milly Js Shoes

Stevenage, England, United Kingdom

Surely depends on the circumstances, genre, intentions, etc etc. I like to think a great photo pulls in all aspects to work in harmony.

Jun 04 13 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

The model can contribute A LOT but its the photographer's creative eye (knowing when to take the shot but also when NOT to take the shot; same with knowing your exposure; same with the ideas [if any] you wish to convey) makes all the difference in the world.

Jun 04 13 03:22 pm Link

Model

Meghan Hale

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Both.

I'm also going to say the following, though a lot of people probably won't agree with me:

Great photographers should be able to make any photo beautiful, whether the model is, or isn't.  Yes, it'll be harder, but even with a "non-standard" looking woman who is seen as less than pretty, is able to be captured in a beautiful way by amazing photographers, making a great photo.

Though, on the over hand, you could have the world's most beautiful woman, put together with a not-so-talented photographer, and the photo won't be very good, regardless of the model.

(Exactly the same with male model, just perfered to use the word woman instead of man/woman. shorter. smile)

Jun 04 13 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

ResaVictoria wrote:

*sighs* I already pointed out that I wasn't pointing fingers
Yea I admit to me not at my best but I have pictures where I'm not even ready or I just look plain akward
That's kinda the reason I asked this

The photographer did not press the shutter button at the right time.

Jun 04 13 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:

I agree!
I've known this for a long time.

Jun 04 13 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

DTNphotography wrote:
It takes both.

It most certainly does not.

I'm fairly sure that I could take a freshly dead body, as long as it doesn't smell too much, and pose it, light it and shoot it in a beautiful or meaningful way and that dead body doesn't have to do a damn thing.

A model can rock her balls off in front of the dance studio's mirrors, but if the photographer is a dead body, nothing is going to happen.

Jun 04 13 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

In the Light Photos

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

If the image is of a person, I believe the best images are where the model and photographer connect.  Even though photography is a visual medium, a great image comes when the emotion of an image is captured.  A photographer can create an environment in the shoot where the model can project her energy and become open.  That is the best image.  Too many photographers have become technical and too many models have watched one too many episodes of Americas Next Top Model.  In my opinion, the interplay between the model and the photog is the essence of a great shot

Jun 04 13 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

L A U B E N H E I M E R wrote:

Funny...
I look at that and say the photographer.  They recognized the shot. Saw the light and snapped the shot...

To the OP:
You said you weren't at your best, creative energy flows during  a shoot.   It doesn't take much to throw it off.  If the photographer felt you were struggling or not interested in the shoot, it would likely directly affect the effort and enthusiasm he has towards you and the images.

Ultimately it's the photographer, in my opinion.   Even a great model can get bad photos if the photographer can't recognize when and what to shoot.

Jun 04 13 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

It sounds like you had a shoot wherein you didn't connect with the photographer and you aren't happy with the result. That happens sometimes. Sometimes, if you're honest with yourself, you can tell by looking at each photo who was at "fault". It's a useful exercise and what you learn from such an exercise you can use to improve your next shoot.

Jun 04 13 04:10 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Chemistry or lack of can make or break a photo shoot. I have managed to still get a great shot even when I just wasn't "feeling it" with a photographer. Sometimes you have to fake it or bust your balls to get through a shoot.

Jun 04 13 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

L A U B E N H E I M E R wrote:

Exactly, the photographer

Jun 04 13 05:52 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

DecoHaus

Huntington, West Virginia, US

In my experience it's not one or the other. Everyone involved in the shoot makes the photo a work of art. Model, photographer, wardrobe stylist, all the talent is equal and deserves credit

Jun 04 13 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Mountain Image

Morgantown, West Virginia, US

Collaboration.

Jun 04 13 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Ash Photographic

Cirencester, England, United Kingdom

Both, of course.

However, the resulting images will never be consistently better than the weakest link.

Stand Dean Johnson in front of Joe Schmoe with his new DSLR and 3 months' experience as a 'photographer' and you will get some crappy to average images of Dean Johnson.

Stand 5'3", 140lb Jolene Schmoe from the mall in front of David Bailey and you will get some excellent but commercially unusable images of Jolene Schmoe.

Put Dean Johnson and David Bailey together and magic will happen!

Ash.

Jun 04 13 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Jean Renard Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

An amazing photographer can take a photo of anything and make it great.

An amazing model can make an average photographer look good

but great photos can be made under any circumstance. This held true for great painters, the art was in them not in their subject.

Commercially, everyone should be on their best game.

Jun 04 13 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

James Crafford

Carmel, New York, US

The photographer.  The model is a subject within the photograph.

Jun 04 13 07:20 pm Link

Model

GQ The Couture Model

Seattle, Washington, US

If both parties aren't on the same page this will not work.

Jun 04 13 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

In Its Own Way

Fort Wayne, Indiana, US

Both

I just did a shoot last week with a GREAT model and we were both pleased with the images we created.  However, I have done my share of shoots with other models where I didn't like any of the images we created.  I don't believe it is as simple as the skill of the photographer vs. the skill of the model.  I believe it is the chemistry between the photographer and model that makes all the difference.

Jun 04 13 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

ResaVictoria wrote:
I was just curious, since I am a beginner.
I'm not too pleased with how my latest photos came out
I'll be honest and say that I didn't do my best, but I feel like I was disconnected with the photographer or something, and wasn't a big help but I'm not going to point fingers..

so in your opinion who or what makes the photo?

*my apologies for the misspelling in the title*

Every member of the team is equally important.  Everyone plays a role and the value of that role can not be taken for granted.  Model, hair, makeup, photographer, wardrobe.  Everyone who is there has a specific task, and they must all be at their best putting forth enough effort to reap the benefits of a successful shoot. 

Also, as you've noticed....connection with your photographer (as well as the whole team if applicable) is also important.  When you're getting along and having a good time, results are surely going to be better than if you just didn't "click" with the other party.

Jun 04 13 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

R L P

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It's 70% photographer, 30% model.

... except for the times when it's 70% model, 30% photographer.

I rarely had shoots when I didn't (over)direct but there were a few shoots where the model 'carried' the session.

Jun 04 13 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

T-D-L wrote:

Every member of the team is equally important.  Everyone plays a role and the value of that role can not be taken for granted.  Model, hair, makeup, photographer, wardrobe.  Everyone who is there has a specific task, and they must all be at their best putting forth enough effort to reap the benefits of a successful shoot. 

Also, as you've noticed....connection with your photographer (as well as the whole team if applicable) is also important.  When you're getting along and having a good time, results are surely going to be better than if you just didn't "click" with the other party.

Your work is off the chain!   key is also though you are shooting some fine women.   You can't shoot tire biters and expect to produce work like you have.   Look, Houdini couldn't help some of these models.   That doesn't mean that talented shooters can't get usable work but its just that much harder.   Lets be candid, clients could save thousands by using regular women.   They don't just use agency models just because their reliable.   http://models.com/rankings/ui/Top50/   These are unique women.   They don't have tummies or poor teeth.   They don't have pockmarked skin.    These women connect with the camera and you just can't take bad shots of them. 

Photographers are judged by the quality of models used.   Who's most important?   The photographer leads the pack but its a close tie to the models used when fashion, beauty or editorial is concerned.   Nothing sadder then when I see cool creative work ruined by choice of model.

Jun 04 13 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

DELETED-ACCOUNT_

Tony Lawrence wrote:

Your work is off the chain!   key is also though you are shooting some fine women.   You can't shoot tire biters and expect to produce work like you have.   Look, Houdini couldn't help some of these models.   That doesn't mean that talented shooters can't get usable work but its just that much harder.   Lets be candid, clients could save thousands by using regular women.   They don't just use agency models just because their reliable.   http://models.com/rankings/ui/Top50/   These are unique women.   They don't have tummies or poor teeth.   They don't have pockmarked skin.    These women connect with the camera and you just can't take bad shots of them. 

Photographers are judged by the quality of models used.   Who's most important?   The photographer leads the pack but its a close tie to the models used when fashion, beauty or editorial is concerned.   Nothing sadder then when I see cool creative work ruined by choice of model.

I'm usually self-deprecating and will defer the majority of the credit to the model lol.  A good model WILL make a difference in the quality of your photos.  But what I usually describe as good has just as much to do with her personality as looks...which I why I said "clicking" with the other party is an important aspect.  Either way, whenever I get a good model, makeup artist, wardrobe stylist, etc...I'm always very grateful as they're a big part of the reason why I'm able to do what I do.  Without them I'd be shooting shitty landscapes and my coffee or something.

Jun 04 13 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

There are a lot of really good shooters on MM but you hurt yourself to a degree offering unlimited tests with models who just don't have it.   That's fine if you have no aspirations  to step up your game or approach real world clients or ad agencies or modeling agencies.   If you do then learn to pick your models carefully.   If you can't get good models for trade, pay.

Jun 04 13 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

As with any relationship, the ideal is 50/50 contribution but in reality it's seldom that way.

For example if a Model and a Photographer does a shoot and the split is:

Photographer
- pays for Stylist
- pays for Model
- provides grip, lighting and camera
- idea concept

Model
- posing
- look
- experience and skills

Does that look like a 50/50 split?

As with any relationship there are times where one person is giving more than the other. This is not to say that the person that's contributing less isn't doing thier share or that their efforts aren't valued, it's just recognizing that just being there isn't representative of a 50/50 split.

Jun 05 13 02:34 am Link

Photographer

Tim Media

Columbia, Missouri, US

ResaVictoria wrote:
I'll be honest and say that I didn't do my best, but I feel like I was disconnected with the photographer or something, and wasn't a big help but I'm not going to point fingers..

so in your opinion who or what makes the photo?

*my apologies for the misspelling in the title*

Any decent photographer can make nice photos of anyone.  But that doesn't make anyone a model. 

Only a model, can make a model.  Modeling is much more than about taking nice photo's.  Unless it's just a hobby. 

As far as the disconnect, that's not really a photographer's job.  A photographer's job is to capture the best image he can for the client.

Jun 05 13 02:48 am Link

Photographer

Mirror With A Memory

New York, New York, US

TEAM     - Together Everyone Achieves More

Jun 05 13 02:55 am Link