Forums > General Industry > Does shortness really hinder my success?

Model

Vicky Justiz

Miami, Florida, US

hey guys. I just recently began modeling, i enjoy it and want to pursue it. perhaps not as a full-time, high fashion, editorial model, but maybe catalog, commercial, or TV work. Now, the issue is that i am 5'3. I have read through some forums and noticed that a lot of the short models on this site have trouble finding photographers to shoot with. I personally have gotten alot of offers from amazing photographers to shoot TF, (at which i am pleasantly surprised!), & I've already shot with a few (none of those pictures are up yet though!). I even got booked for a shoot and was paid for it already. I have 1 paid video shoot coming up and 3 paid photoshoots coming up (lingerie, fashion, and lifestyle).

I don't shoot nudes and have not really found my height or my refusal to shoot nudes to really hinder me, at least not so far. So my question is, that despite my shortness, will i find success if i really try hard and learn as fast as possible? The shortest agency model i know, who is signed to Elite Miami, is 5'5. (And yes she is an adult). I would really like some input from you guys, and please don't be rude. thank you all

Jun 10 13 02:26 pm Link

Model

Gianna Virginia

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I think you kind of answered your own question. Your getting paid work and your already getting out there. There are lots of short models that cant do fashion of course but do lots of commercial work, print, glamour, lifestyle. If its what you want... do it.

Best wishes

Jun 10 13 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

It all depends on how YOU define "success"

Jun 10 13 02:33 pm Link

Model

Vicky Justiz

Miami, Florida, US

Gianna Virginia wrote:
I think you kind of answered your own question. Your getting paid work and your already getting out there. There are lots of short models that cant do fashion of course but do lots of commercial work, print, glamour, lifestyle. If its what you want... do it.

Best wishes

thank you! yeah, i have seen some success so far, however I'm talking about if i want to sign with an agency and do bigger things. Alot of people say that the cutoff height for commercial work is 5'7, and i'd like to know to what extent that is true...

Jun 10 13 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Viktoriya Justiz wrote:
hey guys. I just recently began modeling, i enjoy it and want to pursue it. perhaps not as a full-time, high fashion, editorial model, but maybe catalog, commercial, or TV work. Now, the issue is that i am 5'3. I have read through some forums and noticed that a lot of the short models on this site have trouble finding photographers to shoot with. I personally have gotten alot of offers from amazing photographers to shoot TF, (at which i am pleasantly surprised!), & I've already shot with a few (none of those pictures are up yet though!). I even got booked for a shoot and was paid for it already. I have 1 paid video shoot coming up and 3 paid photoshoots coming up (lingerie, fashion, and lifestyle).

I don't shoot nudes and have not really found my height or my refusal to shoot nudes to really hinder me, at least not so far. So my question is, that despite my shortness, will i find success if i really try hard and learn as fast as possible? The shortest agency model i know, who is signed to Elite Miami, is 5'5. (And yes she is an adult). I would really like some input from you guys, and please don't be rude. thank you all

modeling is a very fun hobby.

Jun 10 13 02:34 pm Link

Model

Vicky Justiz

Miami, Florida, US

Leo Howard wrote:
It all depends on how YOU define "success"

well by Success with a capital S i mean (for example) getting booked for an actual TV commercial or booked for a shoot with a popular, well known brand or signed with a well known agency.
not just shoots for photographer' ports or an "up and coming" brand of clothing.

Jun 10 13 02:36 pm Link

Model

Gianna Virginia

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

You just have to find an agency that does more commercial stuff and acting work. I think you have a beautiful port and I cant see why you couldnt make a living at it, if thats what you want.

Jun 10 13 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Gianna Virginia wrote:
You just have to find an agency that does more commercial stuff and acting work.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this

There's a ton of models around the LV area that have your stats and work full time, or pretty damn close to it.  Much of the work is at conventions or in ads for hotels/restaurants/resorts... etc.

The demographics of LV are similar to Orlando, and I'd be willing to bet that the type of work and agencies are also similar in the two cities.  There's probably agencies and work in your area as well, but I would guess that there's more type of work available for you in Orlando area.  (I really am not familiar with the Florida market at all, other than the agencies and DMC's that I've worked with have stiff competition from those in Orlando)

Jun 10 13 03:02 pm Link

Model

Vicky Justiz

Miami, Florida, US

Gianna Virginia wrote:
You just have to find an agency that does more commercial stuff and acting work. I think you have a beautiful port and I cant see why you couldnt make a living at it, if thats what you want.

Thank you so much! smile

Jun 10 13 04:02 pm Link

Model

Vicky Justiz

Miami, Florida, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this

There's a ton of models around the LV area that have your stats and work full time, or pretty damn close to it.  Much of the work is at conventions or in ads for hotels/restaurants/resorts... etc.

The demographics of LV are similar to Orlando, and I'd be willing to bet that the type of work and agencies are also similar in the two cities.  There's probably agencies and work in your area as well, but I would guess that there's more type of work available for you in Orlando area.  (I really am not familiar with the Florida market at all, other than the agencies and DMC's that I've worked with have stiff competition from those in Orlando)

Yeah that's great news. Orlando is about 3 hr drive away its not to far. I honesty don't know anything about these industries, I got into modeling 1month ago hmm

Jun 10 13 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Viktoriya Justiz wrote:

You have limitations, but, your strength is a great look and a great, well proportioned body.

Make that work for you and don't worry too much about agency work.

A MM model wrote a book on how to be successful as a freelance model, don't have the title, but someone else might post it here.

Break a leg! smile

udor

Jun 10 13 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

dvwrght

Phoenix, Arizona, US

yes, it hinders you... but you might never know it.

when a photographer is looking for a model who is 5'9, he's just going to search for 5'9 girls. he's not going to send you a message saying, "hey, just wanted to let you know that i was looking for a 5'9 girl, but since you're too short, i'm not going to hire you!" you miss opportunities every day, but you just don't know about it.

photographers aren't looking for girls who are trying really hard - they're looking for models who have a certain look, and height is a big part of a person's appearance.

you can model for fun, and maybe make a little bit of money here and there, but i would probably say it's unrealistic for you to turn modeling into a full-time job, especially if you don't do nude work at all.

Jun 10 13 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

NYB

Albany, New York, US

Even if you were 5-9 or 5-10, it doesn't mean the llamaing offers will start rolling in. There are many tall beautiful women out there that don't get llamaing jobs because there just aren't that many high-paying jobs available for everyone who wants one!

Jun 10 13 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

dvwrght

Phoenix, Arizona, US

NYB wrote:
Even if you were 5-9 or 5-10, it doesn't mean the modeling offers will start rolling in. There are many tall beautiful women out there that don't get modeling jobs because there just aren't that many high-paying jobs available for everyone who wants one!

that's a good point.

if there was a model who was 5'8 living in chicago who wanted to move to nyc to try to sign with an agency, i'd say... well, you realize there are already plenty of tall beautiful girls in new york, right?

Jun 10 13 04:19 pm Link

Model

Vicky Justiz

Miami, Florida, US

dave phoenix wrote:

that's a good point.

if there was a model who was 5'8 living in chicago who wanted to move to nyc to try to sign with an agency, i'd say... well, you realize there are already plenty of tall beautiful girls in new york, right?

Yes, I completely see your point. I probably miss out on a ton lf opportunities just cause of my height. I just know that some of the photographers that I'm shooting with TF usually shoot with very talented, tall, usually signed models. They probably stumbled upon me by chance and happened to like my look. That's what gives me motivation to keep trying despite my height.. I just wanted to know everyone else's opinion and experience with the matter

Jun 10 13 04:27 pm Link

Model

Vicky Justiz

Miami, Florida, US

NYB wrote:
Even if you were 5-9 or 5-10, it doesn't mean the modeling offers will start rolling in. There are many tall beautiful women out there that don't get modeling jobs because there just aren't that many high-paying jobs available for everyone who wants one!

This is true. I'm not really expecting modeling to becomes only career, I mostly think it will be something I do on the side that can bring in some extra money and give me great connections. Considering that I want to become a celebrity wedding planner, I think I'll benefit from the modeling industry no matter what!

Jun 10 13 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

FullMetalPhotographer

Fresno, California, US

If you are expecting to do the catwalk in Paris most likely no, there are many commercial and niche genres, that can help pay the bills. You just have to find what works best for you.

Jun 10 13 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Viktoriya Justiz wrote:

thank you! yeah, i have seen some success so far, however I'm talking about if i want to sign with an agency and do bigger things. Alot of people say that the cutoff height for commercial work is 5'7, and i'd like to know to what extent that is true...

Contact a local reputable agency and see.

Jun 10 13 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I sure it does, anything about your look impacts modeling; it's not like you would know if someone was searching for standard models and didn't find you because of your height.  As long as you are happy with it I would not worry.

Jun 10 13 06:32 pm Link

Model

Vicky Justiz

Miami, Florida, US

Yeah guys thank you all for your opinions. And for being polite! A lot of people on MM are just plain rude on these forums.

Keep them coming! I'm sure it will motivate lots of short models

Jun 10 13 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

DMesser Photography

Oceanside, California, US

Depends on what you want.   For modeling,  commercial work,  car shows in a bikini,  bikini and lingerie shops who need girls to model for their products.   Companies will pay you not the photogapher.   Also, photographers should pay you something for bikini,  lingerie and implied.   Not just as much as for nude.  Yes, with work you should be able to support yourself.

Jun 10 13 06:40 pm Link

Model

Vicky Justiz

Miami, Florida, US

Jun 10 13 06:46 pm Link

Model

Vicky Justiz

Miami, Florida, US

DMesser Photography wrote:
Depends on what you want.   For modeling,  commercial work,  car shows in a bikini,  bikini and lingerie shops who need girls to model for their products.   Companies will pay you not the photogapher.   Also, photographers should pay you something for bikini,  lingerie and implied.   Not just as much as for nude.  Yes, with work you should be able to support yourself.

Yeah usually if I like the photographers work I am more then willing to work TF, god knows i need the practice + images for mh port. Some brand owners/photographers offer to pay me upfront. It's not a crazy high number but its something. However if I'm not feeling the photographer's work and my schedule is too busy, I'll tell them that if they are willing to do a paid shoot I would be more then happy to schedule them in.

Jun 10 13 06:46 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

udor wrote:
You have limitations, but, your strength is a great look and a great, well proportioned body.

Make that work for you and don't worry too much about agency work.

A MM model wrote a book on how to be successful as a freelance model, don't have the title, but someone else might post it here.

Break a leg! smile

udor

Yes, but the model that wrote The Self Made Model is also agency standard and shoots nudes. A good read for anyone wanting to pursue modeling nonetheless.

OP: yes, your height and restrictions will definitely impact your career as a model. I've worked the Miami market, and it is a little less forgiving of height as far as agency standard goes, but at 5'3" it's really doubtful. You do have an amazing look and dance background, so I see no reason why you can't make decent side money as a glamour or promo model.

Jun 10 13 06:49 pm Link

Model

Vicky Justiz

Miami, Florida, US

B R E N N A N wrote:

Yes, but the model that wrote The Self Made Model is also agency standard and shoots nudes. A good read for anyone wanting to pursue modeling nonetheless.

OP: yes, your height and restrictions will definitely impact your career as a model. I've worked the Miami market, and it is a little less forgiving of height as far as agency standard goes, but at 5'3" it's really doubtful. You do have an amazing look and dance background, so I see no reason why you can't make decent side money as a glamour or promo model.

Thank you! It's all encouraging. I was throwing a fit earlier to my mom because its her fault I'm short lol. Have to work with what I have

Jun 10 13 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

DVP Photography

Broomfield, Colorado, US

Sometimes new models think all there is is high fashion.  For you , no.  But high fashion is a short term career, most are old and their careers are over long before 30, or even 25.  But there are many many areas of modeling you can build a good career in, some of which you have had discussed here.  Keep searching and learning.  If you take care of yourself you can be modeling at 65+!  Put high fashion modeling out of your mind and open your eyes to all the possibilities!

Jun 10 13 07:57 pm Link

Model

Vicky Justiz

Miami, Florida, US

DVP Photography wrote:
Sometimes new models think all there is is high fashion.  For you , no.  But high fashion is a short term career, most are old and their careers are over long before 30, or even 25.  But there are many many areas of modeling you can build a good career in, some of which you have had discussed here.  Keep searching and learning.  If you take care of yourself you can be modeling at 65+!  Put high fashion modeling out of your mind and open your eyes to all the possibilities!

Yeah that's what I'm going to try to do, thanks smile

Jun 11 13 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Does shortness really hinder my success?

I would say NO... doesn't hinder Angelina's at 4'11"... borat

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130610/23/51b6bd3f9fb9e.jpg

Jun 12 13 09:04 am Link

Model

Axioma

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Select Models wrote:

I would save NO... doesn't hinder Angelina's at 4'11"... borat
picture

What sort of a pointless post is this?

Jun 12 13 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Axioma wrote:

Not pointless at all... just provided input on how a model several inches shorter than the OP is also a success while being short... wink

Jun 12 13 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Axioma wrote:

Select Models wrote:

I would save NO... doesn't hinder Angelina's at 4'11"... borat
picture

who is she?  Never heard of her.

There's a difference between being able to have a good photo taken and having a modeling career that earns money.

Jun 12 13 09:35 am Link

Model

Axioma

Select Models wrote:
Not pointless at all... just provided input on how a model several inches shorter than the OP is also a success while being short... wink

Tell her successful in what way and how it can be achieved. Then we'll see if it wasn't pointless.

Jun 12 13 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Good Egg Productions wrote:
who is she?  Never heard of her.

Oh... OK... so if YOU have never heard of her... that means there's no way she can be a success... right?... roll... lol

Jun 12 13 09:41 am Link

Model

Axioma

Select Models wrote:
Oh... OK... so if YOU have never heard of her... that means there's no way she can be a success... right?... roll... lol

why don't you just stop talking or tell us something worth listening to smile.

Jun 12 13 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Select Models wrote:

Not my point.

Since you don't credit any models, I can't even do the work myself to see if she enjoys any kind of success or perhaps you're the only person who has ever shot her.

So.  Instead of just using this thread for yet another selfless promotion of your own images, perhaps you can explain what KIND of success this 4'11" model enjoys.  Has she been in publications?  Does she work trade shows every week?  Is she booking paid shoots monthly?

If you can't or won't answer that, your post is pointless.

Jun 12 13 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Axioma wrote:

why don't you just stop talking or tell us something worth listening to smile.

My whole reason for posting was to provide the OP with alittle inspiration, while showing her that height is really not a roadblock to success.

Here's quote from the OP initial message:

So my question is, that despite my shortness, will i find success if i really try hard and learn as fast as possible? The shortest agency model i know, who is signed to Elite Miami, is 5'5. (And yes she is an adult). I would really like some input from you guys, and please don't be rude.

And that part about 'please don't be rude'... there's alittle something for you to live by... wink

Jun 12 13 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Select Models wrote:
My whole reason for posting was to provide the OP with alittle inspiration, while showing her that height is really not a roadblock to success.

Here's quote from the OP initial message:

So my question is, that despite my shortness, will i find success if i really try hard and learn as fast as possible? The shortest agency model i know, who is signed to Elite Miami, is 5'5. (And yes she is an adult). I would really like some input from you guys, and please don't be rude.

And that part about 'please don't be rude'... there's alittle something for you to live by... wink

So what agency is Angelina signed with? wink

big_smile

borat

Inspiration is one thing.  False hope is another.

Jun 12 13 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Good Egg Productions wrote:
If you can't or won't answer that, your post is pointless.

Oh... OK... well excuse me while I run around on every MM forum and leave messages stating that 'all posts left here must be proven as relevant to GEP' (and not the original poster) before they can be deemed as anything more than pointless... lol

Jun 12 13 10:00 am Link

Model

Axioma

Select Models wrote:

Oh... OK... well excuse me while I run around on every MM forum and leave messages stating that 'all posts left here must be proven as relevant to GEP' (and not the original poster) before they can be deemed as anything more than pointless... lol

How can you post a random picture stating the model has success - without so much as hinting at why you make that statement, so the OP can actually be helped by it - and not find that pointless?

Jun 12 13 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Select Models wrote:

And your lack of providing any relevant information simply confirms that when you post, it's nothing more than self promotion.

To address the OP directly, at 5'3", it limits you to a lot of fashion, commercial and editorial possibilities.  Most modeling agencies won't even see you.  Talent agencies, on the other hand are open to all shapes and sizes.

Orlando is a funny place.  There's plenty of promo work and our convention season can offer new and interesting job weekly of standing around and being mostly bored for 6-10 hours a day.  There is almost no commercial or fashion modeling here.  There is almost no paying film production here, despite what thousands of actors, producers, and Full Sail graduates and students want to believe.

I've now worked on three separate video production projects that had enough budget to supply a craft table for the cast and crew.  No one was paid.  There IS a feature being filmed at the moment, but it's private investors, no studio backing, and I don't imagine I'll ever see it outside of a private screening.

Orlando is a fine place if you want to make about as much as you could make serving or tending. 

You might not want to hear it, but unless you want to do private glamour, fetish and nude modeling, you're going to be fighting a very uphill battle.

Look into talent agencies in your area.

Jun 12 13 10:10 am Link