Forums > Model Colloquy > Best place to buy good quality wigs?

Model

Phane

Rockville, Maryland, US

Looking to buy some wigs
Any ideas on where one could find some good quality ones

Jun 16 13 08:25 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jun 16 13 09:44 pm Link

Model

Phane

Rockville, Maryland, US

P I X I E wrote:
Gothic Lolita Wigs.
http://www.gothiclolitawigs.com/

Thank you

Jun 16 13 09:50 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Phane wrote:

Thank you

You are welcome. smile

Jun 16 13 10:30 pm Link

Model

Alexandria Web

Washington, England, United Kingdom

P I X I E wrote:
Gothic Lolita Wigs.

Gothic Lolita wigs used to be good when they first started but now the quality is getting worse and worse, and their customer service is atrocious, they're incredibly rude if they make a mistake with your order no matter how polite you are to them.

Jun 17 13 07:29 am Link

Photographer

Hector Pachas

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Best way to go about it is to get in touch with a few local hairdressers, they can give the best advice.

Jun 17 13 07:33 am Link

Model

sasweets

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Jun 17 13 08:01 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Alexandria Web wrote:

Gothic Lolita wigs used to be good when they first started but now the quality is getting worse and worse, and their customer service is atrocious, they're incredibly rude if they make a mistake with your order no matter how polite you are to them.

The ones I ordered are good quality. Shipped fast. I'm satisfied. It's actually a MM model who recommended it to me.

Jun 17 13 08:18 am Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

Belgrade, Central Serbia, Serbia

Hector Pachas wrote:
Best way to go about it is to get in touch with a few local hairdressers, they can give the best advice.

Absolutely, you can't buy  good wig off the internet, it's way too personal for that kind of shopping.

Jun 17 13 09:49 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, US

The answer to your request really depends on the type of wigs that you're looking for as well as what you're looking to spend and what you're going to be using them for.

If you're looking for more vibrantly colored and/or cosplay style wigs than as other posters have suggested Gothic Lolita wigs may be a great resource. A model that I've worked with before uses their products and they look great in images and she's never had any issue with them.

If however you're looking for something more natural, something that could pass as your own hair then you absolutely have to go wig shopping in your area. I suggest taking a friend with you or a hairstylist who'll be honest and if financially possible investing in a human hair wig as they're much easier to style.

Jun 17 13 11:09 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Tiffany_B wrote:
The answer to your request really depends on the type of wigs that you're looking for as well as what you're looking to spend and what you're going to be using them for.

If you're looking for more vibrantly colored and/or cosplay style wigs than as other posters have suggested Gothic Lolita wigs may be a great resource. A model that I've worked with before uses their products and they look great in images and she's never had any issue with them.

If however you're looking for something more natural, something that could pass as your own hair then you absolutely have to go wig shopping in your area. I suggest taking a friend with you or a hairstylist who'll be honest and if financially possible investing in a human hair wig as they're much easier to style.

Gothic Lolita has "normal colour" wigs. I have a wig that's long and with bangs, from them. Auburn. I was wearing it once and people thought it was my real hair. Not cosplay looking at all.

Jun 17 13 12:05 pm Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

Phane wrote:
Looking to buy some wigs
Any ideas on where one could find some good quality ones

Go near your local major medical center.  Seriously.  I mean I got mine because of chemo, but you don't HAVE to be a med patient to get them and often times they have very very nice wigs.  I have 3 and love all of them.

Jun 17 13 12:10 pm Link

Model

Phane

Rockville, Maryland, US

Thank you all great advice

Jun 18 13 02:05 pm Link

Model

KRISTEN MARIE

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

P I X I E wrote:
Gothic Lolita Wigs.

Hell yes.
It's where I get all my wigs.
Amazing quality. smile

Jun 18 13 10:48 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

KRISTEN MARIE wrote:

Hell yes.
It's where I get all my wigs.
Amazing quality. smile

The one I got is pretty much the same cut as the one you are wearing in your avatar, except all auburn. smile

Jun 19 13 12:43 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

P I X I E wrote:
Gothic Lolita has "normal colour" wigs. I have a wig that's long and with bangs, from them. Auburn. I was wearing it once and people thought it was my real hair. Not cosplay looking at all.

I'm aware of this, however I stand by my assertion that if the OP wants something more natural that she should go wig shopping in her area. Something that looks good online or on another model may not look good on you and since wigs can't be returned it's better to spend an afternoon shopping then spend money on something that may not be suitable.

Jun 19 13 06:34 am Link

Model

Cree Synster

Milledgeville, Georgia, US

Whenever I go wig shopping, I look for wigs that are 30 bucks or more. Yeah, it's expensive, but the quality is often very high. DO NOT buy costume or Halloween-store wigs. They start coming apart the moment you take them from the bag hmm

Jun 19 13 08:00 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Synster Veronica wrote:
Whenever I go wig shopping, I look for wigs that are 30 bucks or more. Yeah, it's expensive, but the quality is often very high. DO NOT buy costume or Halloween-store wigs. They start coming apart the moment you take them from the bag hmm

Price isn't always an indicator of quality and while some costume wigs are made poorly, not all of them are. One of the first shoots I styled had the hairstylist cancel at the last minute but I had  4 wigs that I purchased a weeks before at a really deep discount (Total price was about $10 from Five Below since they were trying to clear out their Halloween inventory) and they shot beautifully despite their low cost. Beyond that the first wig I ever purchased for me was $20 and wore beautifully for years until it was lost in a move...

If the wigs are mainly going to be utilized for shoots they can be the more inexpensive variety because the goal is to get something that looks good in an image as as I'm sure all of you know, the final product (even without heavy photoshopping) often doesn't showcase the reality of what something looked like on set...

Jun 19 13 09:09 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

New York, New York, US

Ebay

Jun 19 13 09:14 am Link

Photographer

sweet gamine

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

If you Google "where to buy wigs in Maryland", a number of sites pull up.
I recommend stopping in to wig stores in your area to see the stock up close and to have assistance trying them on.
At the very least, this will give you a good idea of what is available and what looks good on you should you choose to shop online.

Good quality wigs, like you are seeking, should not be easily recognizable as being wigs. Most wigs worn in photographs on this site stick out like a sore thumb.

Jun 19 13 09:30 am Link

Model

Phane

Rockville, Maryland, US

Thanks everyone

Jun 19 13 02:35 pm Link