Forums > Critique > I'm critiquing! Warning: I can be kind of a b*tch!

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Billy Hughes wrote:
Deciding on the best mix of nudes vs head shots. I'm looking to do both. What ya think?

BH

www.hughesstudio.com

I'm only going to critique the work on MM. If you want me to look at your website PM me. I think if you want to do nudes and head shots I'd put them in separate categories.

In photo #1, she looks like she's uncomfortably keeping her leg open. It totally ruins the shot. Also, 13 and 15 are the duds of the group. Everything else is fine or lovely. I'm smitten with #7,9,10. If you're going to focus on nudes and head shots, find more models who can really pierce that camera with their gaze and models who can pose interestingly with their bodies. You're getting there!

Jul 19 13 08:40 am Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

ATW Photo wrote:
I'm game, if you're still critiquing.

I like where you're going with 4,11, and 15. I like 15 because it makes you think of the  possible narrative behind the photo. 4 and 11 are just good art nudes. I would personally put #4 as your avatar. Keep doing more of this stuff. The others are fine but these are much better. I will say that I'm not a fan of the color splash ones and the only reason why is because the cheesy makeup ruined it.

Jul 19 13 08:44 am Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Jeremy Rill Photography wrote:
Paige

I would love to hear your opinion!  I am just starting to "find my style".  I've been doing headshots/portraits for the last few years and want to look at beauty and editorial...

Let it rip!

Jeremy

I'd definitely branch out a bit. Just doing head shots is hindering you I think. To be honest, I actually came across your profile while searching for Denver shooting possibilities and passed you up because all you had were head shots. I have more head shots than I know what to do with. So in my small case, only having head shots hurt you. I would branch out to editorial personally.

Jul 19 13 08:49 am Link

Photographer

ATW Photo

Medway, Massachusetts, US

Paige Thomley wrote:

I like where you're going with 4,11, and 15. I like 15 because it makes you think of the  possible narrative behind the photo. 4 and 11 are just good art nudes. I would personally put #4 as your avatar. Keep doing more of this stuff. The others are fine but these are much better. I will say that I'm not a fan of the color splash ones and the only reason why is because the cheesy makeup ruined it.

Thanks for your constructive criticism, it's much appreciated.  I have to laugh about your comment regarding the paint images - it was the first (and last) time I worked with that particular MUA, and I knew immediately when I saw the images that trying to fix the makeup in post would be, umm, challenging.

Jul 19 13 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Jeremy Rill Photography

Denver, Colorado, US

Jeremy

I'd definitely branch out a bit. Just doing head shots is hindering you I think. To be honest, I actually came across your profile while searching for Denver shooting possibilities and passed you up because all you had were head shots. I have more head shots than I know what to do with. So in my small case, only having head shots hurt you. I would branch out to editorial personally.

Thanks Paige!  I am starting to branch out into some editorial type work.  Keep an eye out for my portfolio!

Jul 19 13 09:37 am Link

Model

Nicola Dorian

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

I am just at the very beginning and would be grateful of some critique as It can only help to make me work harder, Many thanks

Jul 19 13 10:21 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Thanks I will. Keep me in mind for minneapolis

Jul 19 13 11:31 am Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Nicola Dorian wrote:
I am just at the very beginning and would be grateful of some critique as It can only help to make me work harder, Many thanks

Well since you're new I'm not going to be too harsh. I would personally suggest that you get rid of all of your candid photos as soon as possible. They are only hurting you. Book a shoot for a good head shot and one for a full body look with a corset, then see where that takes you. I think you'd be good for pin-up or alt modeling.

Jul 19 13 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Ad Nazar

Tampa, Florida, US

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Jul 19 13 11:45 am Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Ad Nazar Photography wrote:
I would love to hear your thoughts.

Your winning photo is your avatar. It mixes fashion with movement and theme very well. While I like your black and white photos, you really shine at color. The only thing I'm confused about is that you have six images/shoots and don't take TFP. How are you adding to your port? I think you need more images for us to ogle over.

Jul 19 13 11:59 am Link

Model

AGinger

Kearney, Nebraska, US

I would love some critique on my portfolio. Only through critique can I get better.
Aginger

Jul 19 13 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Neff

Las Cruces, New Mexico, US

Your bio is riddled with typos. Fix it or risk sounding either lazy or semi-illiterate. Or both.

I'm only going to critique the photos you have on mm. You have vastly different styles which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it means you're trying stuff out, but the stuff on the lower half of your portfolio is much better than the stuff at the top. I get the journalistic stuff. It's okay but if you're going to do something along these lines you need to really focus on the lighting because otherwise it tends to look less like a journalistic peek into someone's life and more like a candid. I really dislike the photos of the girls on the buckets and the one right next to it with the girl on the chair. It makes me question if you are the same photographer that set up the awesome sand photo or if you just assisted on that photo shoot. Because the bucket photos are of such a lower quality composition, model-wise, and editing-wise I'm leaning towards yes. Either that or you somehow forgot how to do those things in a short amount of time.

Thank you for your input.

Jul 19 13 05:36 pm Link

Model

Mea Culpa

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

If you're still at it, I could always use a new perspective. smile

Jul 19 13 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

M59Photography

Arlington, Virginia, US

Paige Thomley wrote:

You have too many images, lots of duplicates from the same shoot/theme. I'd be happy to help you choose what to keep/trash if you PM me. Your great photos are being lost amidst the bad and makes the good ones look like a happy accident.

Paige:
Thanks for tha. PM sent.
Mark

Jul 19 13 08:27 pm Link

Model

Nicola Dorian

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

Thank you for your advice Paige!

Jul 20 13 05:59 am Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

AGinger wrote:
I would love some critique on my portfolio. Only through critique can I get better.
Aginger

I think the first part in the bio where you talk about always wanting to be a model and having what is takes should be taken out. It makes you sound a bit naive and not serious. Your work and reputation should speak for itself and you don't have to tell people that you have what it takes.

Your portfolio is basically amateur but I think you know this. I like photos 2 and 4. Everything else looks like your little brother and you went out and did a photo shoot. I know this because my little brother and I used to do this back in the day! You need to work with photographers who can actually use a camera and make it not look like a snapshot. And to do this you need to start seriously networking. Maybe even pay one or two. You need a killer head shot. You need a full body shot. You need to use some of those crazy outfits to their full potential. Work on your posing as well.

Jul 20 13 07:17 am Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Mea Culpa wrote:
If you're still at it, I could always use a new perspective. smile

I love everything you do. I'm sifting through all of your work to try to point out things that you can improve on or photos that are clearly lesser but I honestly cannot find anything. Simply put, you rock my socks off and I consider you a huge inspiration.

Jul 20 13 09:07 pm Link

Model

AnnAdB

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Only had ten shoots so im kind of curious

Jul 21 13 06:44 am Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

AnnemiekdenB wrote:
Only had ten shoots so im kind of curious

You've got some good work so far. Work on your expressions a bit. With your experience as a dresser you might be able to get your hands on some great wardrobe so try to work that in as well. Keep going.

Jul 21 13 08:31 am Link

Model

Hannah Loop

New York, New York, US

Totally new to modeling and MM, I'd really appreciate feedback from another model!

Jul 22 13 04:46 pm Link

Model

Samantha Dempsey

Beaverton, Oregon, US

Would love your opinion!

Jul 22 13 10:59 pm Link

Model

Amber Nicolee xo

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

just starting out! and have only done less than a handful of shoots, Go for it! smile

Jul 23 13 08:15 am Link

Photographer

Courtney Reader

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

I'm down!

Jul 23 13 11:34 am Link

Model

MickCetera

Chicago, Illinois, US

wow youre giving some great critiques on here I can't believe I missed out until now! If you're still going I'd treasure your two cents

Jul 23 13 09:30 pm Link

Model

Lakin S

Ashland, Kentucky, US

I would love to have you check me out doll! wink

Jul 23 13 11:37 pm Link

Model

Mariam Mariamti

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Awesome critiques! Learned a lot.

It would be amazing if you critiqued my portfolio as well. (The photos, not the bio text.) Thanks!

Jul 24 13 12:10 am Link

Model

_BlossomFairy_

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

me please smile

Jul 24 13 10:18 am Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Am currently on vacation and will resume critiquing next Wednesday.

Jul 25 13 04:22 am Link

Photographer

robgregory

Chicago, Illinois, US

Paige Thomley wrote:

Well you clearly do mostly commercial/sports photography. I mean it's not good and it's not bad. It's not what I usually come across to critique and to be honest I'm a little out of my element. I don't think you should get rid of anything just yet but I also am confused why you're on model mayhem. Are you on here to branch out and try head shots or something or to find models for your commercial stuff? I would state that in your bio.

Yeah, I mainly do fine art and commercial product photography actually. Just starting to play around with the idea of more model-centric shoots for fun, so I got on here to network and possibly expand this side of my skill set. I think, from what I'm seeing, that i should probably come up with some cool concepts and create a series of work based off of them. Thanks for your thoughts anyway!

Jul 27 13 04:45 pm Link

Artist/Painter

-mjaiser-

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

looks like I'm late to the game but I'll bite.

Jul 28 13 10:23 am Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Hannah Loop wrote:
Totally new to modeling and MM, I'd really appreciate feedback from another model!

Well you're doing great so far. The first photo should be cropped because I'm not looking at you at all, I'm looking at the docks in the background which frankly have nothing to do stylistically with the outfit you're wearing. It doesn't make sense to me. Also, the one where your head is on a boat looks like an uncomfortable pose. Everything else is great. You should get some full body shots though soon. And maybe try to smile in a photo or two.

Jul 28 13 06:25 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Sammi Wayne wrote:
Would love your opinion!

I know you're only sixteen so I'm going to give you a little slack but your bio makes you sound like you're sixteen too. If that makes any sense. You come off as a little naive and like 'yeah, I'm gonna be a model!'. A lot of photographers won't even shoot a 16 year old because of age and the potential legalities involved so coming off as more mature in your bio would be to your best interest. As for your photos, I mean they aren't horrible but they look like your friend took them or possibly just some local photography studio. Try to get more photos up of better quality. Think long and hard about what kind of photos you want to be doing and contact photographers who can help you get those kinds of photos.

Jul 28 13 06:33 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Amber Nicolee xo wrote:
just starting out! and have only done less than a handful of shoots, Go for it! smile

Get some real shoots in and then I'll critique you. I can't tell if you look bad in the photos because the photographer is a GWC or if you just need practice. Either way, get rid of the selfies, they are definitely not doing you any favors. And #3, what about this make you think it looks good? You look like you have cross-eyes.

Jul 28 13 06:38 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Sonny Photography wrote:
I'm down!

Your bio goes between first person and third person writing. Pick one and stick to it. Personally I think people who write in third-person are ass-hats because everyone knows you wrote the dang thing so you just come off as uppity and full of yourself by saying 'Ashley has been a photographer for blah bah blah' instead of just just saying 'I have been taking photos blah blah blah.'

As for your photos, they are pretty good. Some are much better than others though and some come off as almost candids. #4, 6, your avatar, and 15 are all wonderful. Try to get your models to do something to engage the camera or pose or SOMETHING. Most of your shots are just of girls standing there staring at the camera which can be good, but not when almost all of your shots are uneventful like that. Keep shooting, and focus on themed shoots because with the right model your themes could be really great but right now they're just okay. Also try to only have one photo from the same outfit posted unless they are both so freaking amazing that people have GOT to see both.

Jul 28 13 06:47 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

MickCetera wrote:
wow youre giving some great critiques on here I can't believe I missed out until now! If you're still going I'd treasure your two cents

You are freaking wonderful dude. You can convey emotion like no other and should keep pushing those boundaries because you're right on the cusp of incredible. Definitely one to watch. Aim to shoot with photographers who can bring out all that feeling.

Jul 28 13 06:50 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Lakin S wrote:
I would love to have you check me out doll! wink

Based on your avatar I would have expected to see better work. A lot of these look like they were shot by amateurs and don't do you justice.

In #2,3 and 4 you are way too blown out, the photo is too white and I can barely see you. Sometime this technique works well and sometimes not. This is one of those times where it does not. In this instance I think the photographer took your photo in really bright sunlight and failed to adjust their camera settings. You can do this afterward in photoshop pretty easily just by clicking 'cloudy' and the image with probably be much better. Personally, out of those three photos though I think #4 is the only one worth keeping. And maybe #3. #5 and 6 are not good for you. I love #7,8,10 and 13. Aim to shoot more editorial stuff like this instead of amateur stuff like the ones where you're posing next to a car. You should probably go through and edit out some of your older and lesser photos because they detract from your better stuff and might make photographers question working with you.

Jul 28 13 07:00 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Mariam Mariamti wrote:
Awesome critiques! Learned a lot.

It would be amazing if you critiqued my portfolio as well. (The photos, not the bio text.) Thanks!

Well to be honest none of these photos are all that great. I can tell that you have a theme and idea before shooting but for some reason it just never fully translates. If you're going to do crazy makeup you have to make sure that the photographer can correctly edit the photo so it looks good. In your case they didn't really do that. Maybe try to nail a few easier shoots first before trying to do elaborate themes or at the very least work with photographers who can help you get it right. I do like the photo of you in the white dress posing in the water but I wish you weren't so blurry.

Jul 28 13 07:07 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

_BlossomFairy_ wrote:
me please smile

I really don't get why people put photos on their bio page. Photos should be in the photo section, that's what it's for. The only exceptions are if you are a photographer who wants to let models know what they look like or models who want to show an un-made up face photo or new hair color photo so photographers know what they're getting. Everything else should be in the photo section. So move your photos into your photo section because they are just clogging up the important stuff we are trying to read.

As for your photos, your avatar is by far your best shot. You're another model that I'm disappointed by. I click on your avatar all excited to see more great quality stuff like that and find sub-par stuff by sub-par photographers. #6? Really? That's just cheesy central. Be more selective with who you shoot with and try to figure out the direction of where you want your portfolio to go. Right now it's all over the place an most of those places aren't good. At the very least get a really good strong head shot.

Jul 28 13 07:14 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

-mjaiser- wrote:
looks like I'm late to the game but I'll bite.

I like the fact that you're working on a project, it shows focus and intent. Being that your focus is narrowed down to The Harness Project I think you should take a hard look at your work right now. The top two photos are of much higher quality than the others. So much so that the others look like they were taken by someone else. They don't all have to be taken in a studio setting, but if you're going to take photos elsewhere I would maybe learn how to better use your camera because your light settings are all off.

Jul 28 13 07:19 pm Link

Model

Mariam Mariamti

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Paige Thomley wrote:

Well to be honest none of these photos are all that great. I can tell that you have a theme and idea before shooting but for some reason it just never fully translates. If you're going to do crazy makeup you have to make sure that the photographer can correctly edit the photo so it looks good. In your case they didn't really do that. Maybe try to nail a few easier shoots first before trying to do elaborate themes or at the very least work with photographers who can help you get it right. I do like the photo of you in the white dress posing in the water but I wish you weren't so blurry.

Thank you! That was the most unexpected and best critique of my work I have had.

When I have a concept, I should look for the photographer who is best at that look or style or makeup --- or when working with someone, look at their portfolio, see what they can do and are good at, then work with that. Aha! That is utterly brilliant.

You are a genius!

Jul 29 13 10:04 pm Link