Forums > Critique > I'm critiquing! Warning: I can be kind of a b*tch!

Photographer

Half Taco Photography

Manitowoc, Wisconsin, US

LA StarShooter wrote:
I don't understand your response given what I understand about the critique forum rules. The forum rules I thought were  clear and they are made so World War Three doesn't break out. She did warn she would be bitchy. So, the MM rules don't have anything to do with TV land. They are simply established so that if someone offers a critique you just follow the thread. You can disagree, but you can't critique the OP unless she asks for it. Moderators here can be strict about unsolicited critiques. Even when the circumstances may seen to call for them. If you look up my critique file, there is one, and it is brutal. Eviscerating. People wrote me emails but they, by and large , did not respond with a critique in the forum because I didn't ask for one. . . and it ran for a lot of pages.  I know, the rules seem strange, but she has operated by the rules. I hope you don't continue on this wild forum ride of yours and simply accept that she doesn't like your work. Not everyone has the same opinion as her on your work, right?  So, all is not lost?

I added this before you came along to stoke the fire!

Half Taco Photography wrote:
Sorry didn't mean to upset you. Please have a beautiful day! XOXOXO

Allow me to go a set further.

I'm SORRY Paige Thomley! I'm SORRY LA StarShooter!  SORRY Model Mayhem!

If I left anyone out that would like an apology please PM me and I will promptly apologize.

Sincerely,
HalfTaco

I hope that this will end it.

Jun 23 13 11:27 pm Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

You're nowhere near as bitchy as the people I've come across. Tell me my photos suck and I pose like a dead tree. Your opinion is as valuable as the other "I'll rip your port apart" threads that I find myself posting in weekly. Have a nice day smile

Jun 24 13 12:34 am Link

Model

Cristina Maria Solem

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

Mine please? smile

Jun 24 13 02:59 am Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

I will be back to critique later in the day peeps.

Jun 24 13 06:08 am Link

Photographer

Rebelroma

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I would love your input.

Jun 24 13 07:15 am Link

Model

Azia Rose

Portland, Oregon, US

Yes, be as harsh as necessary!

Jun 24 13 09:15 am Link

Photographer

DRaskin Photography

Sacramento, California, US

I know I need to trim my port down some. I'm also interested in your critique so I welcome it. Thanks for taking time to do this.

Jun 24 13 10:01 am Link

Model

Shelly Foster

Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada

I would love some brutal honesty if you're still critiquing!

Jun 24 13 10:52 am Link

Photographer

BareLight

Kansas City, Kansas, US

Paige Thomley wrote:

Good, easy to read bio.

Your work is pretty good. Some of your photos are bringing it down a bit.

Lose= #1 (Worst in port. Somehow you made her look fat and she's not.),3,9,15,16(Cool concept but you just didn't nail it at all. Try again.).

Amazing= #4,5,7,8,12,26,29.

Keep at it man.

Thanks very much for your insight!  I appreciate your taking the time. smile

Jun 24 13 11:34 am Link

Model

Beth Chambers

London, England, United Kingdom

Me please smile

Jun 24 13 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by Justin A

Brookline, New Hampshire, US

I'll walk the gauntlet! (Please only the photos in my album "Modeling 2013" though, I know the others suck, are irrelevant to the websites purpose, or what have you).

Jun 24 13 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Cezar Banaszczyk

London, England, United Kingdom

yess please!

Jun 24 13 02:43 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Blugrey         wrote:
What about me?????????????? Please!

Ok darling your bio is short and to the point but under the credits section you have what is supposed to be a photo but only shows up as a web address. So fix that or lose it. This photo is also the first one that's in your port so it is now redundant.

#1 is great, 2 is pretty, 3 is great as well. #4 is a good pose and I like that it shows your entire body but your face is just not there. Dead to the world. I would either delete that one or swap it out for something like it that is better once you get another full body photo. Especially since #7 is the same shoot and outfit but much better. #6 is rad. In #8 you look old and tired like you had a long night before the shoot.

In all you're coming along nicely. I'd like you to put some more fire behind your eyes and maybe use some expression in your face.

Jun 24 13 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

DG IMAGES

Doral, Florida, US

Ok, let's have it

Jun 24 13 03:07 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

AaronPawlak wrote:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130622/00/51c55938701f2_m.jpg

You've got some cool sh*t going on in here. And then you have some duds.

Lose em= 13,15,16 (You have at least 5 photos of this girl from the same shoot in the same outfit. Narrow it down to your top 2 and delete the rest. It's overkill and makes the good ones look like not as stellar.),24 (I just personally don't like it because it doesn't really make sense to me.), 25, 27,28.

#7,1,and 22 are rad.

Jun 24 13 03:10 pm Link

Model

TaylorHaze

Dallas, Texas, US

Room for me?!

Jun 24 13 03:11 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Claire Brev wrote:
Me please!

#2 is funny but doesn't really enhance your port. Keep it or leave it but move it to the bottom.

These are good=7,9,13,14

Everything else is blah. I know you're a Kristen Stewart impersonator but that doesn't mean you have to share the lack of expressions. From the photo in #3 I know you can smile so do it!

Jun 24 13 03:18 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Jamie Velandra wrote:
I would love an honest crit big_smile

Your port is really strong so I'm going to be really picky. #14 stands out as a dud. #19 as well. Also it's right next to another photo of a different model doing that same pose except she nailed it. Get rid of #16, she's just standing there and #21 is way cooler. #26 isn't flattering to the model and it's a cool concept but just isn't quite doing it. #29 is pretty but boring. In someone else's port it might be one of the best but when you are so good at taking a beauty shot that ISN'T boring (32,33,34) this one  stands out as a dud. #35 is blah and therefore just takes up space of a more awesome photo. #36 is hot. I actually really like the bathtub photos and it's hard to do them well. #39 though looks like they were looking at someone behind the scenes going, 'like this?'. Not nearly as strong as #38. Not a fan of #42. The lighting is good but the image lacks something. Everything else I didn't tell you to get rid of is stellar!

Jun 24 13 03:36 pm Link

Model

Jane Kavanaugh

Denver, Colorado, US

Me please smile

Jun 24 13 03:41 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Danielle Reid wrote:
You're nowhere near as bitchy as the people I've come across. Tell me my photos suck and I pose like a dead tree. Your opinion is as valuable as the other "I'll rip your port apart" threads that I find myself posting in weekly. Have a nice day smile

ALSO!! I know my breasts are deflated. I don't need comments about had bad they look in my nude photos. THANK YOU!

^^^^^^You don't need that. Before I even look at your port I'm on the look out for deflated boobs. And had should be changed to how if you really must keep it up.

Ok you need a lot of work, but the good thing is that you know it and are actively trying to get better. Your avatar is wonderful and shows you off without being sleazy or any of that. Bravo. I will say that your hair looks very awesome red, especially that avatar photo shade of red but it looks really thirsty and dry as well and is showing up in photos. So remedy that if you can. The bike photo is cliche and really REALLY hard to do well. You didn't do it well darling. It should go. #3, although I like the fact that you tried a couple shot, is not hitting the mark either. You are both so obviously faking it (and if you aren't then you might have other problems) and the way his hand is hovering about your boob like he's scared to touch you just adds to the awkwardness. It should go as well. You look fat in #4. It literally adds 50 pounds to you. And you're so obviously not fat. Get rid of that as well. #5 should stay for the time being, the shot is weak but your body looks great so keep it until you get something better. #6 should go. #7 can stay. #8 is cool bondage but the pose is unflattering. Do you have a better shot from this shoot? #9 is weak and should go. #10 can stay. #11 shows off your beautiful legs but the photo itself is weak. The backdrop and the corniness...get a better photo but showing your legs like this and replace #11. #12 is a powerful pose. You look like a warrior. But you're on a park bench next to a tree so it looks dumb. Pick a better location and re-do the shot. #13 is meh. #14 is good. #15 is meh. You have such great curves and you just aren't using them here. #16 should stay. #17 looks like your boyfriend took a photo of you on the couch. It looks cheap. And you have no neck. #18 and #19 should stay.

Work the curves. Find better locations to shoot. Refuse to shoot in front of a wrinkly backdrop. Show some expressions. Practice more. Shoot more.

Jun 24 13 03:57 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Cristina Maria Solem wrote:
Mine please? smile

Get your hands off your f*cking hips! There I got that off my chest. Get rid of every photo that shows you with your hand on your hip except for #10. They all look like you're trying too hard and failing miserably. The photos of you smiling are my favorites. You light right up and don't look as dead. So that's good!

Keep=1,5,7,8 (that's a sexy smirk you've got right there!),9 and 10. Everything else is boring or something else that just isn't good that I'm too lazy to explain.

Jun 24 13 04:05 pm Link

Model

Alycia M

Fort Bragg, North Carolina, US

me please let me have it

Jun 24 13 04:06 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Rebelroma wrote:
I would love your input.

You're clearly an amateur trying to get better because you're setting up shoots up the wazoo. Hopefully you'll get some better photos to replace all of the ones that are bad.
Keep=2,3,11,15,33,37,39,49(use this model again if you can).

Everything else is either really bad (34) or looks like a snapshot. If you want me to go through as to why you should delete everything PM me. But if you're not going to delete any of them don't waste my time.

You've got some cool locations but aren't using them to their full potential. Study more. Study how to light or use natural light, study how to set up a shot, study how to direct a model. Practice the stuff you learn. Get better models. Stop putting photos like #35 in your port.

Jun 24 13 04:15 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Rebelroma wrote:
I would love your input.

Oh and change your Avi to one of the photos I told you to keep.

Jun 24 13 04:16 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Azia Rose wrote:
Yes, be as harsh as necessary!

I like your hair blonde and I like your hair brown. #4 looks like your friend took it. Doesn't look professional and stands out because of it. #5 shows your playfulness but also isn't as awesome. Everything else is dope. You're very versatile. I'd love to see you outside in something really flowy and beautiful. I'd love to see you in something really f*cking bright (like rainbow brite) and I'd love to see you do something really eerie. I'd love to see you crying or screaming. I'd love to see you do everything and I'd love to see you succeed. I might be coming to L.A. soon and I have a killer wardrobe. Maybe I'll style a shoot for you. I'd love that as well.

Jun 24 13 04:24 pm Link

Model

Azia Rose

Portland, Oregon, US

Paige Thomley wrote:

I like your hair blonde and I like your hair brown. #4 looks like your friend took it. Doesn't look professional and stands out because of it. #5 shows your playfulness but also isn't as awesome. Everything else is dope. You're very versatile. I'd love to see you outside in something really flowy and beautiful. I'd love to see you in something really f*cking bright (like rainbow brite) and I'd love to see you do something really eerie. I'd love to see you crying or screaming. I'd love to see you do everything and I'd love to see you succeed. I might be coming to L.A. soon and I have a killer wardrobe. Maybe I'll style a shoot for you. I'd love that as well.

4 and 5 are complete shit hahahaha. I mostly kept them in because I did not have nearly enough pictures with my current hair color at the time. Probably should remove them entirely?

I love all your ideas, I wish more photographers wanted to do shoots like that! I'm mostly getting a lot of "Let's do something like Nasty Gal!" which is fine, but I'd rather shoot FOR Nasty Gal than copy them. Let's stay in touch!!

Jun 24 13 04:28 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

DRaskin Photography wrote:
I know I need to trim my port down some. I'm also interested in your critique so I welcome it. Thanks for taking time to do this.

Okay here we go dude!

#1-keep. 2-Get rid of it. Bad on all levels. Okay not ALL levels. I like the field. 3-meh. 4-lose it and keep #5 instead. 6-All I'm looking at is the incredible sunset. Oh wait there's a model there? If that's not your desired reaction from someone viewing that photo then lose it. 7 and 8 stay. 9-lose it. You were so focused on the model that you disregarded the background which kills the shot. 10,11,12 stay. 11 should be your Avi. Also for future reference if you're doing another shot like #12, have the model sort of kick out the leg she's standing on a bit.(not actually kick it but place it farther away so she's almost lunging a little) It will elongate her leg and both of you will be thankful for that. 13-16 should go. 16 is okay but the others are bad. 17-should go. She looks beautiful (shoot her again like this but not in this environment) but the couch doesn't fit the landscape. I've seen pictures where this really works and is awesome but this one doesn't. 18 through 23 should go. Either bad poses or bad backgrounds or a little bit of both. I do like #20's dress but unless she's completely lying down or standing she looks heavy. I would personally lie her down in a field of low flowers in the dress if she will shoot with you again in the same dress. Have her looking slightly away from the camera but with the side that has the cool hair thing visible. 24-stays. 25 and 26 should go. 27,28 and 29 stay. 30-should stay but if you have a better photo where her neck is in a slightly less awkward position it would be preferable. 31 should go because you failed again to note the backdrop. A pin-up isn't very effective if we are looking at a some street view instead of the model who is stunning! It ruins the shot and the vibe.

Jun 24 13 04:41 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Shelly Foster wrote:
I would love some brutal honesty if you're still critiquing!

Pretty girl. You're getting there. I don't think you should get rid of any of them but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be trying to improve. You have such a stellar smile, really is wonderful. Why don't you whip that sucker out more often is beyond me. You really shine when you're outside as well but have a slight tendency to put your arm over your head so just be on the look out that you don't lean on that pose too much. Keep shooting and try to get a killer full body shot that shows off your legs. Maybe even using a fan to blow all that hair around.

Jun 24 13 04:47 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Beth Chambers wrote:
Me please smile

#1,2 and 3 are horribly awkward poses and you look atrocious. Delete them now. 4 is good and 5 shows off your great rack. 6 and 7 are kind of weak as far as head shots go so maybe you want to look into getting a better one. In #8 all I'm looking at is the cool wallpaper and you look insecure. That should go eventually. 9-12 are fabulous! Why aren't these at the top?! And why isn't #12 your Avi??? 13-15 are lame or bad lighting or bad photography or bad pose or all of the above. Dye your hair back to the color in #5. Much more flattering.

Jun 24 13 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

DwLPhoto

Palo Alto, California, US

Maybe the rule should be if you start a offer-to-critique-others thread, post a critique me thread-- and link the two in the first post.  Maybe not even a rule, a courtesy.   

It would save some butthurt and random offended people from having post in the me-critiquing-you threads...

If people put up critique me threads, then they're usually ready to just take the advice, feedback, or even abuse.

Jun 24 13 04:54 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

JAPhotography NH wrote:
I'll walk the gauntlet! (Please only the photos in my album "Modeling 2013" though, I know the others suck, are irrelevant to the websites purpose, or what have you).

I don't really like any of these photos except for #1 and maybe #7. You just need to practice and get a more experienced model who can help you along without doing those dorky poses. Also, the 'fashion' they are wearing is already outdated. Start simple. Naturally beautiful model (preferably with mucho experience) wearing a simple slip or something like that in a field or next to a brick wall. Nail that ,build from there.

Jun 24 13 04:58 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Cezar Banaszczyk wrote:
yess please!

4,5,8 should go. Everything else stays. #5 is my favorite, shoot more stuff like this. Shoot quirky girls, you get them.

Jun 24 13 05:01 pm Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Paige Thomley wrote:

ALSO!! I know my breasts are deflated. I don't need comments about had bad they look in my nude photos. THANK YOU!

^^^^^^You don't need that. Before I even look at your port I'm on the look out for deflated boobs. And had should be changed to how if you really must keep it up.

Ok you need a lot of work, but the good thing is that you know it and are actively trying to get better. Your avatar is wonderful and shows you off without being sleazy or any of that. Bravo. I will say that your hair looks very awesome red, especially that avatar photo shade of red but it looks really thirsty and dry as well and is showing up in photos. So remedy that if you can. The bike photo is cliche and really REALLY hard to do well. You didn't do it well darling. It should go. #3, although I like the fact that you tried a couple shot, is not hitting the mark either. You are both so obviously faking it (and if you aren't then you might have other problems) and the way his hand is hovering about your boob like he's scared to touch you just adds to the awkwardness. It should go as well. You look fat in #4. It literally adds 50 pounds to you. And you're so obviously not fat. Get rid of that as well. #5 should stay for the time being, the shot is weak but your body looks great so keep it until you get something better. #6 should go. #7 can stay. #8 is cool bondage but the pose is unflattering. Do you have a better shot from this shoot? #9 is weak and should go. #10 can stay. #11 shows off your beautiful legs but the photo itself is weak. The backdrop and the corniness...get a better photo but showing your legs like this and replace #11. #12 is a powerful pose. You look like a warrior. But you're on a park bench next to a tree so it looks dumb. Pick a better location and re-do the shot. #13 is meh. #14 is good. #15 is meh. You have such great curves and you just aren't using them here. #16 should stay. #17 looks like your boyfriend took a photo of you on the couch. It looks cheap. And you have no neck. #18 and #19 should stay.

Work the curves. Find better locations to shoot. Refuse to shoot in front of a wrinkly backdrop. Show some expressions. Practice more. Shoot more.

Well that went better than expected. Actually very helpful, thanks.

The dry hair was old extensions and I made the decisions to shoot with photographers before I was able to order fresh ones. The dryness is fixed now (darker red though, but still red).

The couple photo wasn't really faking, just that we only had about 10 minutes to meet each other before we got half naked. That was the most tame photo I have from that set so far (waiting on others from the photographer). I'm doing another couple shoot with a different guy next month so maybe it'll look better.

#4 does make me look fat, #11 could have been better, will replace, I'll try to replace #8 as well, #17 was taken in a warehouse studio that was 20 degrees freezing, but I'll replace it.

I just did another shoot this pass weekend and have more set in the next few days. If you're still doing critiques in 2 weeks or so I'd like to try for round 2. Thanks again.

Jun 24 13 05:05 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

DG IMAGES wrote:
Ok, let's have it

WHY IS EVERYTHING IN YOUR BIO CAPS???? F*cking change that sh*t right now, you sound like a yelling a*s hat. It makes me hate you already. Such is the effect of caps.

I'm not a fan of people who make folders of models. As a photographer you should have a folder (if any at all) of the different types of photography you do, not specific folders of each model. Plus it makes you seem slightly possessive of them which freaks potential future models out.

You're a hotel room photographer who takes pornographic images. I'm all for sex as long as it's tasteful. To me, this isn't. I'm not even going to critique your work. One thing I will say though, is that if you're going to take these types of photos be my guest but learn how to compose an image so you can at least marginally pass off your work as art. There's crooked paintings, lampposts...take your eyes off her goods for a millisecond to assess the background.

P.S. The puppy is cute as f*ck. Gimme.

Jun 24 13 05:11 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

TaylorHaze wrote:
Room for me?!

I like that you actually listed what you're interested in shooting, like specific concepts. A photographer would find that very helpful.

You've got some good stuff here girl and know what to put in your port and what to leave out. I'd like to see you go outside for a shoot and show your softer side. I'd like to see you do more conceptual shoots. I'd like you to change your avi to #6 or #8.

Jun 24 13 05:15 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Jane Kavanaugh wrote:
Me please smile

I'm not a fan of people who put lots of images on their bio page. If you must, then make it only one and make it a horizontal shot.

You should edit down your port to only the best. There are a few that should go and they are=5,7,8,9,13,17 (your face looks chubby here and I have no idea how that's even possible for you but you did it),18,21 or 22 (only keep one),23,26 (25 is much stronger), 33,35,44,45,46. Everything else is nice. You put your hand on you head too much so just watch out for that. Smile more. Show more *ss because you have a great one.

Jun 24 13 05:24 pm Link

Model

Paige Thomley

West Bend, Wisconsin, US

Alycia M wrote:
me please let me have it

You don't have very many professional photos so it's hard to critique you. Whoever took your photos isn't very skilled yet either so I can't tell if it's you or them or a combination of both. Maybe try to work with better people. Only keep #5 so people can see what your body looks like and #10,11,12,16,23. And that is me being really generous. You don't smile with your mouth open ever and it makes me wonder if you have braces or bad teeth or what. You are almost always photographers side profile. Try to change that too. Get more full body shots. Keep shooting. Practice.

Jun 24 13 05:30 pm Link

Model

TaylorHaze

Dallas, Texas, US

Paige Thomley wrote:

I like that you actually listed what you're interested in shooting, like specific concepts. A photographer would find that very helpful.

You've got some good stuff here girl and know what to put in your port and what to leave out. I'd like to see you go outside for a shoot and show your softer side. I'd like to see you do more conceptual shoots. I'd like you to change your avi to #6 or #8.

Wow, well gee thanks so much smile

Jun 24 13 05:37 pm Link

Model

Jane Kavanaugh

Denver, Colorado, US

Paige Thomley wrote:

I'm not a fan of people who put lots of images on their bio page. If you must, then make it only one and make it a horizontal shot.

You should edit down your port to only the best. There are a few that should go and they are=5,7,8,9,13,17 (your face looks chubby here and I have no idea how that's even possible for you but you did it),18,21 or 22 (only keep one),23,26 (25 is much stronger), 33,35,44,45,46. Everything else is nice. You put your hand on you head too much so just watch out for that. Smile more. Show more *ss because you have a great one.

Great advice, thank you!! smile

Jun 24 13 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Norman Ding

New York, New York, US

Bring it on

Jun 24 13 06:57 pm Link