This thread was locked on 2014-04-22 15:30:46 by Blue Cube Imaging. Reason: Critique is over.
Forums > Critique > Quick review of your port.

Model

Ruqya

Bergen, Hordaland, Norway

NEWBIE..but i will take chance to get better:) so lets go...

Sep 14 13 02:38 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

New York, New York, US

Model Mischi wrote:
Me please! smile

You are stunning, I really love your face, the freckles get me all the time.  Work on your posing, you seem to like putting your hand on your head and the other on your neck. Aside from that your port is a good mix. The images aren't bad at all.  Best of luck!

Sep 14 13 03:33 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

New York, New York, US

Self Righteous wrote:
If you're still going with this.

The biggest opportunity for improvement would be your lighting. It's flat or side light, not interesting. It's making your images one dimensional. The second opportunity from improvement would be your editing, you have to step that up. I know it's time consuming but you can't create a masterpiece without.

Sep 14 13 03:40 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

New York, New York, US

Daren Del Val wrote:
Please comment on mine!  I'm very new to photography.  I can take both good /bad remarks about my port.  If there is bad, if possible, gimme a tip to improve on it big_smile

The first thing I did notice is that your models, you need to help them pose. Some of the poses are not good. The lighting, it seems like you do it the same way over and over and it doesn't work that way. Each genre has a specific way to light it, the mood and concept also play into that. The problem with your images for me is that it looks like catalog work. There is no mood or concept, it looks like they are showing off the clothes but not themselves.

Sep 14 13 03:53 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

New York, New York, US

Ruqya wrote:
NEWBIE..but i will take chance to get better:) so lets go...

Work on your expression and posing your body. You smile too much, I want to see variety. You also need more full length shots to show off the rest of you. Work with better photographers. Your port isn't horrible but it needs to be stronger than what it is. Best of luck.

Sep 14 13 03:55 am Link

Model

Angelina L

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I'm new in America and would like to know how you work! Let me know my mistakes!

Sep 14 13 06:09 am Link

Model

Angelina L

I'm new in America and would like to know how you work! Let me know my mistakes!

Sep 14 13 06:11 am Link

Model

Angelina L

Sep 14 13 06:13 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

New York, New York, US

Angelina Chloe wrote:

The best thing you can do is work with more experienced photographers. Work on showing different expressions and emotions. Practice posing your body. Your portfolio doesn't represent you as best it can. Get out there, shoot more and replace all of those images when you can. If you come to NYC, come see me. big_smile

Lastly - cut down your bio - it's too much, no one will read all of that.  That last part about burning someone's house down - scary! I wouldn't hire someone with that in their port... yikes

Sep 14 13 06:26 am Link

Photographer

Frank Arzaga

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I know you said only 25 pages but I'm curious! I'm a noob and I know I have lots to learn I'd love to hear suggestions smile

Sep 14 13 07:04 am Link

Model

Angelina L

Thank you smile))
Last part is just a joke smile)))) My sense of humor can be pretty black smile

P.S. You didn't like none of my pics?  I thought some photographers were pretty amazing smile)))))))))

Sep 14 13 07:05 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

New York, New York, US

Angelina Chloe wrote:
Thank you smile))
Last part is just a joke smile)))) My sense of humor can be pretty black smile

P.S. You didn't like none of my pics?  I thought some photographers were pretty amazing smile)))))))))

Not about liking them, it's more about technical issues, you have a good look, but you do need better photos.

Sep 14 13 08:02 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

New York, New York, US

Frank Arzaga wrote:
I know you said only 25 pages but I'm curious! I'm a noob and I know I have lots to learn I'd love to hear suggestions smile

Noob? Where? Your images don't strike me as someone new. If you are a complete noob, I must be really bad! Looks pretty outstanding to me. I would suggest you lighten up on the retouching a bit, it's a bit much on some. Aside from that, you aren't a noob. I think you are lying to me! big_smile

Sep 14 13 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Frank Arzaga

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Wow thank you for the kind words. I promise I am not lying  lol. To be honest, I didn't start shooting on manual til Febuary of this year using my t3i and 50 1.8.  Most of my lighting gear I got this May. First time I used photoshop in June of this year (hence the overdone look on some of my photos) I have since toned down my editing to just clean up,and  high pass smoothing.

I am all ears for anymore suggestions!

Thanks you
-Frank

Sep 14 13 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

New York, New York, US

Frank Arzaga wrote:
Wow thank you for the kind words. I promise I am not lying  lol. To be honest, I didn't start shooting on manual til Febuary of this year using my t3i and 50 1.8.  Most of my lighting gear I got this May. First time I used photoshop in June of this year (hence the overdone look on some of my photos) I have since toned down my editing to just clean up,and  high pass smoothing.

I am all ears for anymore suggestions!

Thanks you
-Frank

I got nothing left right now, just keep doing what you are doing, it looks great to me. Send me a pm, I would like to know about this high pass smoothing?...I have no idea what that means. big_smile I am still new to shooting models but I think I have a pretty good eye for this. It's just a matter of execution, that's the hard part. big_smile I been shooting since 2007 but not people, mostly birds, bugs & landscapes. big_smile

This is fun for me....people, not so much....

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5336/8854848418_6417497a33.jpg
IMG_0106a by RUBEN MARIN, on Flickr

I know..shameless plug...  big_smile

Sep 14 13 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

New York, New York, US

bump..........

Sep 15 13 05:35 am Link

Model

CarlyPeacock

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

me?

Sep 15 13 06:00 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

New York, New York, US

CarlyPeacock wrote:
me?

You are a chameleon, very nice work! You rock, I don't have much more to say really. Great port!...Have a great day. big_smile ....That was easy...

Sep 15 13 06:13 am Link

Model

CarlyPeacock

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Marin Photography NYC wrote:

You are a chameleon, very nice work! You rock, I don't have much more to say really. Great port!...Have a great day. big_smile ....That was easy...

Awesome thanks!!! Good to know I'm doing something right smilesmile

Sep 15 13 06:17 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

New York, New York, US

Bump! It's raining, I'm bored, let's go....

Sep 16 13 07:23 am Link

Model

julia00

Rochester, New York, US

ok! smile

Sep 16 13 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

New York, New York, US

julia00 wrote:
ok! smile

You are off to a good start as far as putting some emotive value in your shots and posing isn't bad from what I can see. The main issue is that the images are not good. Too small, bad edits, resolution issues. Get with some better photographers and get some better quality images properly sized as well. Ditch that avatar, get something that shows your face 3/4 should do it.  Best of luck!

Sep 16 13 06:19 pm Link

Model

julia00

Rochester, New York, US

You are off to a good start as far as putting some emotive value in your shots and posing isn't bad from what I can see. The main issue is that the images are not good. Too small, bad edits, resolution issues. Get with some better photographers and get some better quality images properly sized as well. Ditch that avatar, get something that shows your face 3/4 should do it.  Best of luck!

the avatar is for a casting call i'm doing currently, it's not part of my portfolio.
thank you for your input

Sep 16 13 06:23 pm Link

Model

Lela Jesse

Arcata, California, US

I just added a bunch of new pictures! What do you think?

Sep 16 13 06:29 pm Link

Model

Eleanor Rose

Santa Rosa, California, US

If you are still going I would love your opinion. Thank you so much.

Sep 16 13 07:40 pm Link

Model

Lyra Gore

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

If you're still doing this, I'd love to know what you think. I'm super new and still waiting on more pictures from my first shoots, but I'm keen to know what you think so far! smile

Sep 16 13 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

CSW Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Me?

Sep 16 13 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

hmmm...game for it...Mo

Sep 16 13 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

New York, New York, US

Lela Jesse wrote:
I just added a bunch of new pictures! What do you think?

You are lovely and good at putting some emotive value in the images. I would remove a few that come from the same shoot same outfit. You don't need them, you have a good port without them. You are doing great, keep at it.

Sep 17 13 04:35 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

New York, New York, US

Eleanor R wrote:
If you are still going I would love your opinion. Thank you so much.

You would be an awesome muse for anyone. Beautiful looks, great emotive expressions and don't forget that lovely figure. Awesome! You rock!...Add a really good head shot or two and leave your port alone.

Sep 17 13 04:38 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

New York, New York, US

Lyra Gore wrote:
If you're still doing this, I'd love to know what you think. I'm super new and still waiting on more pictures from my first shoots, but I'm keen to know what you think so far! smile

I would keep the first three images in your port for now and ditch the rest. You need to practice posing your body and changing expressions. You are still new so there is not much more to say....Best of luck.

Sep 17 13 04:41 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

New York, New York, US

CSW Photography wrote:
Me?

It's good, then it's bad, then it's the image resolution, it's a roller coaster. The retouching is inconsistent. You can shoot and light but I think there are too many images. I would like to see you do a bit more glamour as well, outdoors, leave the white background alone for a while. Aside from that it's more of a retouching issue on your images than anything else. Get a new retouch pro. Change it up, try something new too.  Best of luck.

Sep 17 13 04:50 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

New York, New York, US

mophotoart wrote:
hmmm...game for it...Mo

Ditch the last two rows, they aren't working at all. The editing and the lighting are bad. That last image in the last row is ok. 

Seems like you haven't found your niche yet. You are shooting everything at the moment. Keep practicing and try to stick to two genres and get great at them, them branch out and experiment. Your lighting seems flat to me in most of your indoor images. It's not terrible but if your model doesn't pop then she blends in and that's not good.  Try and get better more emotive looks and poses from your models. They all seem to have that stone faced look.

Best of luck!

Sep 17 13 04:56 am Link

Photographer

Eric SUN

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Mine,thank you:)

Sep 17 13 05:37 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

New York, New York, US

Eric D SUN wrote:
Mine,thank you:)

Some of it's really good some of it is not so good. The first row first image, ditch it, last image first row ditch it. Second row last image, ditch it, third row last image, ditch that too! Then you are good to go!! Be picky!!

Sep 17 13 05:45 am Link

Model

May_Bee

Basel, Basel-Town, Switzerland

please smile

Sep 17 13 06:22 am Link

Model

Lela Jesse

Arcata, California, US

You are lovely and good at putting some emotive value in the images. I would remove a few that come from the same shoot same outfit. You don't need them, you have a good port without them. You are doing great, keep at it.

Thank you very much! I will remove some. smile

Sep 17 13 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photography NYC

New York, New York, US

May_Bee wrote:
please smile

The first row is very good. The last image in the third row is good. The rest I would ditch. They aren't up to par with those that I mentioned.  You are doing well. Try to add more personality and swagger to your expressions. Aside from that you are doing very very well. Great looks too!!

Sep 17 13 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

SFG Photography

Oceanside, California, US

I am interested to hear your opinion.
Thank you.

Sep 17 13 02:03 pm Link

Model

MissGoldenarrow

Nijmegen, Gelderland, Netherlands

Hmm.. Newbie here smile But wondering about your opinion.

Sep 17 13 02:09 pm Link